• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime dubs that are better than the original sub

Definitely prefer the Dub over the sub:
  • 91 Days
  • Baccano
  • Berserk
  • Black Lagoon
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Death Note
  • Dragon Ball Z Kai & Dragon Ball Super
  • FLCL
  • Hellsing Ultimate
  • Kill la Kill
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Space Dandy
  • Trigun
  • Yu Yu Hakusho

Comedies where the script writing was better in Dub:
  • Akiba's Trip
  • Desert Punk
  • The Devil is a Part Timer
  • Ghost Stories
  • Golden Boy
  • Panty, Stocking and Garterbelt
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • Shin-Chan

Dub & Sub is about even:
  • Code Geass
  • Durarara
  • Full Metal Panic
  • FullMetal Alchemist
  • Hosoda Films
  • Hunter x Hunter 2011
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • My Hero Academia
  • Psycho Pass
  • Stein;s Gate
  • Studio Ghibli Movies

I liked the Spanish dub of Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z. I think it is equal to the original Japanese version. English dub of Dragon Ball Z is horrible: terrible, ill-fitting voices and crappy music.

Of course I love the English Cowboy Bebop dub.

Yu Yu Hakusho's English dub is close, but no cigar. Kuwahara's voice is terrible!

Ash735

Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy
Outlaw Star
Black Lagoon

All of the above are easily WAY ahead of the original Japanese versions (Though for Space Dandy, the Japanese version is actually the DUB).

I don't see how people can prefer FMA dub to sub.
Uh maybe it's because it's a story about a bunch of European analogues getting into all sorts of imperialist conflicts, and the Japanese VAs have trouble even saying the names of the main characters? Or that the English cast is filled with amazing voice actors doing amazing jobs? Literally the only voice that is a little suspect is Mae Chang, and that's entirely out of how annoying she sounds , which is about the same in Japanese.

Introduced people who didn't give a fuck about anime to it via Brotherhood, English dubbed. Zero complaints and a ton of praise.

nkarafo

Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie)

Although, personally, i can't stand Japanese dubs in general. They are always too overdramatic.

DBZ is the obvious choice.

A lot of people say that the dub of Panty & Stocking is better but I've only ever watched it subbed.

SuperOrez

I wish they did more localized dubs. I end up being able to follow characters easier that have names I'm used to. On the flip side if it takes place in Japan I don't like the dub usually because they never change the names.

Top Bottom