• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on his take of Batman

”One of the reasons I was drawn to it is I had a similar fascination to Batman when I was younger that I had with the Apes series, which I was obsessed with. I see a parallel emotionally between Caesar and Batman, in that they're both characters who are tortured and trying to sort of grapple within themselves to find the way to do the right thing in a very imperfect and, to some degree, corrupt world. It's really that emotionality that I'm interested in.

”In all of my films, what I try to do, in an almost Hitchcockian sense, is use the camera and use the storytelling so that you become the character, and you emphasize with that point of view. I think there's a chance to do an almost noir-driven, detective version of Batman that is point-of-view driven in a very, very powerful way, that hopefully is going to connect you to what's going on inside of his head and inside of his heart."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx5uO-DLBDs

Shit, if he actually follows through on that, this might be the best Batman movie.

batman-is-wistful.jpg

Neat.

I hope his movie delivers on that. And I hope Deathstroke isn't the villain. Go weird with it. Gimme Hugo Strange, Mad Hatter, Firefly, or Calendar Man.

I would love for Reeves to be the the first live-action Batman director to actually implement the Detective part instead of just paying it lip service.

mjc

I have a good feeling about his take, he hasn't really let me down yet.

I would love for Reeves to be the the first live-action Batman director to actually implement the Detective part instead of just paying it lip service.

That too, just jumping into a room and doing a quick once over really doesn't count.

Honestly, I feel like this should be a prequel or something and not have Ben Affleck in the role. His Batman just doesn't scream "detective" to me.

Sephzilla

Honestly, I feel like this should be a prequel or something and not have Ben Affleck in the role. His Batman just doesn't scream "detective" to me.

That might have something to do with the fact that Battfleck was obsessed with Superman for a year and never bothered to find out his secret identity or any of his family history.

Thank fuck for this man.

We might finally get a good live action Batman movie.

Lmfao, you lot are something else.

Sounds great though, can't wait. Reeves is incredible.

Neat.

I hope his movie delivers on that. And I hope Deathstroke isn't the villain. Go weird with it. Gimme Hugo Strange, Mad Hatter, Firefly, or Calendar Man.

There is TOTALLY room for Deathstroke in a noir-esque story. Maybe not as the main badguy but he could easily, more easily than most other Batman villains, fit the classic noir trope of "the muscle." Have Deathstroke as the physical threat, with someone like Hugo Strange as the man behind-the-scenes, pulling the strings.

I trust Matt Reeves. Not convinced he can surpass the first two in the Nolan trilogy, but I'm totally psyched to see what he does with this.

Misha

Banned
batman is a detective? 🤔

sounds great. I haven't cared much for the batman in previous batman films even if i enjoyed the overall film but this might do it

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Yep. That sounds like Batman. That's why this character has been so consistently compelling and has been around so long. There are so many interesting sides to the character.

I know some disliked the Nolan films because he didn't emphasize the detective side of Wayne very much but I feel they're a great addition to the Batman legacy that explored other facets of the character. It's nice to hear fans of the detective side may get what they want now.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Yep. There are too many cooks standing between Reeves and the finished broth.

That said, it's always been weird to me that comic book movies don't use more voiceover. I know film school kids these days are taught not to write it, but it would be such an intelligent, knowing use of the form. Especially for a Batman movie, where you're inhabiting a film noir tradition and sort of interpreting the omniscient narrative bubbles that shape the comics so often. Plus they would simply let us hear how smart and perceptive Batman is.

Top Bottom