• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on his take of Batman

Sephzilla

Batman Returns certainly isn't a good Batman movie, and I'd argue not a good movie period.

the hot takes here are getting out of control. Batman Returns is good

giphy.gif

jelly

Yep. That sounds like Batman. That's why this character has been so consistently compelling and has been around so long. There are so many interesting sides to the character.

I know some disliked the Nolan films because he didn't emphasize the detective side of Wayne very much but I feel they're a great addition to the Batman legacy that explored other facets of the character. It's nice to hear fans of the detective side may get what they want now.

Was the dislike for Nolan Batman the lack of detective work because there was some but I could see the argument others did the work for him.

The bad part is that I need The Black Mirror to be adapted into a film but that's DickBats. Still the best detective Batman story I think.

"I think there’s a chance to do an almost noir-driven, detective version of Batman that is point-of-view driven in a very, very powerful way, that hopefully is going to connect you to what’s going on inside of his head and inside of his heart.”

Yes, yes, yes!! That's exactly what I'm looking for in a Batman movie.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ok I'm in 95%. The other 5% is all the other bullshit. Villain? How campy of a take on that villain is it? Is it too serious?

Sephzilla

Then I definitely must have watched a totally different movie because I absolutely loved it and thought it was amazing.

It would be in my opinion if the story wasn't so incredibly lazy in spots. It feels like Nolan and company were running at like 60% full power the entire time because it's one of his worse movies

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That sounds great but I just don't see it happening. I want to be wrong but my heart says no. Stop playing games.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I want an extremely lose Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth adaptation from this.

Batman trapped in Arkham Asylum for a single night alongside his greatest enemies, having to rely on his drive and natural resourcefulness to survive. Have a mounting GCPD presence on the outside, with James Gordon talking to Batman over the radio intermittedly.

Batman meets Die Hard.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Feels like Reeves tapped right into my mind and is making exactly the Batman film I want.

I want an extremely lose Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth adaptation from this.

Batman trapped in Arkham Asylum for one night alongside his greatest enemies, having to rely on his drive and natural resourcefulness to survive. Have a mounting GCPD presence on the outside, with James Gordon talking to Batman over the radio intermittedly.

Batman meets Die Hard.
giphy.gif

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Was the dislike for Nolan Batman the lack of detective work because there was some but I could see the argument others did the work for him.

I think it was a huge part of a portion of Batman fans disliking those films. Any sequences focusing on detective work were pretty thin or as you said done by for him by others.

Sephzilla

Batman trapped in Arkham Asylum for a single night alongside his greatest enemies, having to rely on his drive and natural resourcefulness to survive. Have a mounting GCPD presence on the outside, with James Gordon talking to Batman over the radio intermittedly.

Batman meets Die Hard.

Too bad we don't have Alan Rickman alive to play Ra's Al Ghul

hansgruber.jpg

"Tell me detective, or should I say, Mister Wayne, do you honestly believe that even you are able to escape this archaic asylum alive?"

benzy

"I think there’s a chance to do an almost noir-driven, detective version of Batman that is point-of-view driven in a very, very powerful way, that hopefully is going to connect you to what’s going on inside of his head and inside of his heart.”

giphy.gif

kunonabi

I would love for Reeves to be the the first live-action Batman director to actually implement the Detective part instead of just paying it lip service.

Same here, it's the main thing that's bugged me about all the Batman films especially the post-Burton ones.

Sojgat

Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight

The Burton movies have fantastic style, I'll give them that. I can enjoy parts of them.

Begins is 1/3 a good movie, but once Batman makes his first appearance, it slowly falls apart. The final act is a trainwreck. I also couldn't stand so much time dedicated to Bruce building his suit. It's boring.

The Dark Knight is a good movie. I just can't get behind the Batman part of the equation. Baleman was bad to start with, and Bale seemed to stop trying after Begins.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I trust Matt Reeves I don't trust Warner Bros.

bingo.

this shit ain't happening. wish you guys would stop getting your hopes up. it's always sad to see you all so let down.

The Burton movies have fantastic style, I'll give them that. I can enjoy parts of them.

Begins is 1/3 a good movie, but once Batman makes his first appearance, it slowly falls apart. The final act is a trainwreck. I also couldn't stand so much time dedicated to Bruce building his suit. It's boring.

source.gif

Batman meets Die Hard.
I need this to happen.

Some of you need to throw an ice pack on your takes and cool those boys off, they're getting a little too hot.

Hopefully Reeves can weasel past the WB execs and get his movie made right like Jenkins did with WW. A noir detective thriller Batman film is perfect and Reeves certainly has the chops, WB just likes to dig their claws into a film a little too often for me to get excited right now, hopefully Reeves takes a stand and gets it made right though.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'll save you some time, Batman. The eccentric guy in the costume is behind the crimes and they're at a warehouse and/or docks.

Some of you need to throw an ice pack on your takes and cool those boys off, they're getting a little too hot.

Hopefully Reeves can weasel past the WB execs and get his movie made right like Jenkins did with WW. A noir detective thriller Batman film is perfect and Reeves certainly has the chops, WB just likes to dig their claws into a film a little too often for me to get excited right now, hopefully Reeves takes a stand and gets it made right though.

Considering how hard he negotiated for the director's chair, I bet he has WB by the testicles.

It'll work out.

JayCB

Sounds incredible to be fair, as long as he tones down the murders and WB allows him to actually have all of the freedom he needs for the project it could be a great movie.

Also keep Snyder in a box or something so he doesn't touch this..

I get that executive meddling is a huge concern after Suicide Squad, but it should be noted that the executives in charge of the DCEU now (Jon Berg and Geoff Johns) are not the same ones who interfered with the early DCEU movies. They came in as Suicide Squad was getting ready to go out the door. The first film they've been able to have a significant impact on was Wonder Woman, which in my eyes, bodes well for the future.

Keym

I want a 2 hour film of Batman trying to find out who stole the penguin-shaped jewels from the new exhibit at the Gotham Museum.

Spoiler: it was Catwoman.

Where are people getting this idea that they meddle behind the scenes with their directors visions? If anything, their one of the few studios who actually leave their directors alone.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Batman meets Die Hard.

no no, Batman meets Dredd. (!!)

tumblr_nn8qoczX931tslewgo1_500.gif

Alienous

Hopefully it's a movie about Batman investigating a series of murders that culminates in him realizing it was just people he forgot he'd killed.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sounds great, hopefully it ignores the characterization from bvs so it can stand as a standalone movie and not be burdened by the terrible decisions of the dceu

bvs batman is a murderous idiot & garbage tier detective

Hopefully it's a movie about Batman investigating a series of murders that culminates in him realizing it was just people he forgot he'd killed.

😂

Pretty much, it's a Tim Burton movie being all over the place once again.

I've been seeing this kind of comment with a lot of old comic-book movies lately, especially in threads about the Raimi Spidey flicks and it's fucking frustrating. Has the nature of modern superhero movies made it such that auteurism is dirty thing? Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of MCU films, but the fact that they all follow a fairly-defined "house style" makes me long for the days when visionary filmmakers would get to put their own fun twist on these characters. The fun of superheroes is the endless ways they can be reimagined and reinterpreted. What's wrong with a Tim Burton Batman movie being Tim Burton's "take" on Batman?

Nev

Banned
Sounds good. I just wish the Batman he's stuck with wasn't a depressed 44 years old murdered.

This is one of the few times ever I wouldn't mind a recast. They can make him die and be replaced by Dick or come up with some alternate earth or whatever.

Whoever thought a 42 years old actor was a good choice for the start of a new cinematic universe are clearly out of their minds. The rest of the Justice League are 35~, have fun 10 years from now with a 54 years old Batman fighting Darkseid.

Blader

the hot takes here are getting out of control. Batman Returns is good

giphy.gif

I was going to say this gif kind of sums up the problems with Returns, but it doesn't really. That said: why is that Bat Signal shining directly into his home?!

wenis said:
That sounds great but I just don't see it happening. I want to be wrong but my heart says no. Stop playing games.

I also think people should temper their expectations of what a "detective noir" Batman movie looks like filtered through the blockbuster machine.

Noir detective story sounds great. I'm still trusting him to draw on his horror roots too. Batman should be scary to bad guys. It's the whole point of the persona.

Top Bottom