• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Reeves on his take of Batman

Sephzilla

I was going to say this gif kind of sums up the problems with Returns, but it doesn't really. That said: why is that Bat Signal shining directly into his home?!

It's not the Bat Signal. It was a series of smaller bat signals Bruce had all over his home. They were triggered when the real one turned on

Calendar Man as a serial killer could be fun.

Black Mask and Penguin having a mob war could be fun.

A version of Bane that is like the comic book version that isn't like Nolan's terrible version would be fun.

I would love to see Clayface or Manbat but they don't mesh with the noir style of the movie.

A Batman movie that costs less than $100 million and less than 2 1/2 hours? Is such a thing possible?

What does the quote in the OP have to do with either of these things?

The former is absolutely not happening. The latter probably won't either, if Wonder Woman is any indication.

Saya

It is time for Professor Pyg.

latest

Foggy

What does the quote in the OP have to do with either of these things?

The former is absolutely not happening. The latter probably won't either, if Wonder Woman is any indication.

Because he wants to do a noir-inspired detective story and the studios will want big action setpieces because they think that's all comic book movies are and should be. He has good intentions, but those intentions are going to be set aside pretty fast.

Ninjimbo

He makes a new movie that probably took years of hard work to realize and all people can ask him about is Batman lol.

My god, the scrutiny.

Ray Down

Banned
I've been seeing this kind of comment with a lot of old comic-book movies lately, especially in threads about the Raimi Spidey flicks and it's fucking frustrating. Has the nature of modern superhero movies made it such that auteurism is dirty thing? Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of MCU films, but the fact that they all follow a fairly-defined "house style" makes me long for the days when visionary filmmakers would get to put their own fun twist on these characters. The fun of superheroes is the endless ways they can be reimagined and reinterpreted. What's wrong with a Tim Burton Batman movie being Tim Burton's "take" on Batman?

Because it isn't a particular interesting or all that note worthy take on the character.

Rest of the movie being the way it is, doesn't help.

I don't mind someone doing their own spin, just make it good or interesting.

Ehh, Logan and Deadpool got sub-$100m budgets. Yes, they were both R, but I think there's a reasonable chance that this will be too. More importantly, Logan and Deadpool were both fantastic movies that made great use of smaller budgets. Batman is a character that I think could also benefit from a more restrictive budget and I know Matt Reeves knows how to spend money effectively. Dude made a movie about a giant monster attacking New York for $25m.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
>don't trust WB when Disney fires directors for creative differences lol
Yeah. WB is by far the one studio which is most director driven. I don't understand the assumption that they'll ruin it. Reeves has a great track record.

Sojgat

This.

Suicide Squad was the big exception, but they were spooked and scrambling after the BvS reception. Relying so entirely on Snyder's vision is what caused that in the first place.

CloudWolf

Sounds great, I hope he gets as much freedom as Patty Jenkins got for Wonder Woman.

Thank fuck for this man.

We might finally get a good live action Batman movie.
This is why I dislike comic-GAF. Begins and The Dark Knight are excellent movies. Hell, even Rises wasn't bad, just not as good as TDK and Begins. But on GAF, the Nolan films are considered terrible for some reason.

Yea, I'm not really getting what people are talking about here. Look at the talent WB has assembled for their future DCEU movies. None of those guys would've signed up if it meant their vision being compromised. WB has a history of being director friendly.

Also, it was reported that Reeves didn't stop negotiations because of creative control. It was really because of pay.

If Reeves had said "I'm better than Hitchcock" that'd be one thing.

But Reeves saying "I'd like my film to have the feel that Hitchcock movies often did" isn't egotistical. It's a stylistic aspiration. And it's a good one, too. A lot of popular directors in the past 30 or 40 years have had a lot of success studying that man's movies and cribbing great ideas from them.

Hell, Brian DePalma's entire career is basically attempting Hitchcock Karaoke.

Anyway: Reeves saying he's aiming for Hitchcock-level suspense and tone isn't a sign of ego. It's just shorthand for the sort of style he's thinking of applying to the film. Not a proclamation that he can do it better than Hitch did.

Javier23

Banned
I must be living in some alternate reality where The Dark Knight Rises is considered to be a bad Batman film.
That movie's pretty mediocre, and mildly entertaining at best, like everything Nolan has done since the great TDK.

Just my personal opinion. Don't get me lynched GAF, I know you like the dude.

The Lamp

I haven't heard anything about this, but they're making another Batman movie with a new perspective, again? Why? What is this?

effzee

Sounds great, I hope he gets as much freedom as Patty Jenkins got for Wonder Woman.

He might get all the freedom from WB but my concern is how much freedom will he get from the DC Universe? Meaning this won't be like Nolan who was free to explore Batman and Batman alone.

All these new movies are part of the larger universe. Are they going to force this movie to include all the other characters? Is it a prequel? Another origin?

To me Batman works best as a standalone character, which is why I was always against the Justice League, even though I completely understand why WB had to go that route.

If Matt can craft a Batman movie where he isn't dealing with other superheroes or aliens, it will be excellent I think. He has the talent and I have loved everything he has worked on.

This is why I dislike comic-GAF. Begins and The Dark Knight are excellent movies. Hell, even Rises wasn't bad.

It isn't just comic-GAF. While I get why TDKR isn't liked as much as BB and TDK, critical and commercial response would tell you at the very least it's a good to great movie.

But on GAF there are only 2 ratings: BEST EVER or SUCKS!

Nolan made 3 excellent Batman movies but the minute people saw Snyder/Affleck Batman all we had was "omg finally someone will do Batman justice!" and after that mes now just the mention of "detective" is going to send everyone in a tizzy.

Now granted you can trust Matt Reeves so it is justified, but its shocking how "dead" Batman was as a movie property, how much the Nolan trilogy revived Batman (probably the most popular comic book character) and yet we still hear there hasn't been a good Batman movie.

I'd caution everyone who always cries that Batman isn't detective enough....Batman is a combination of a lot of cool elements. Not every comic or TAS episode had him solving puzzles as a detective. Not every iteration has him as a scary monster, or dark, or extremely violent, or as adult, or noir. Yet for the movies we want the 100 different elements of Batman rolled into 1. It isn't possible.

Hopefully this new movie focuses on the detective elements, is smaller scale in terms of the villain and threats, and brings something new to the table. Nolan nailed Batman's origins, his struggles, and his sadness. This needs to build on it but it doesn't have to be all of it at once.

Sojgat

This is why I dislike comic-GAF. Begins and The Dark Knight are excellent movies. Hell, even Rises wasn't bad, just not as good as TDK and Begins. But on GAF, the Nolan films are considered terrible for some reason.

Forget the source material altogether. These are movies where the characters endlessly state their every motivation out loud because the director believes the audience need to be treated as children. They have their strengths, but neither Begins or TDK are examples of exceptional filmmaking.

There is no defending Rises.

Cool! I always wanted a true detective Batman film, and this sounds promising. Hopefully if Deathstroke is the antagonist, he's not the only villain. They should be tapping into other Batman villains anyway, Black Mask would be great.

I must be living in some alternate reality where The Dark Knight Rises is considered to be a bad Batman film.

Popular opinion on Neogaf is that sucks, I disagree (I think it's great), but it is what it is.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sounds good. Hopefully WB doesn't meddle and fuck it up.
Dont think they will, Ben Affleck already said he wanted to do a detective story for Batman and compared his take to Maltese Falcon when he was attached to direct.

This has a high probability of happening.

Jesus Christ some of the absolute shit posted in the first 40 or so responses to this thread. Calling them hot takes is an insult to terrible opinions.

"in that they’re both characters who are tortured and trying to sort of grapple within themselves to find the way to do the right thing in a very imperfect and, to some degree, corrupt world."

bms.gif

Looking forward to it.

Now get me someone who understands Superman.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"in that they’re both characters who are tortured and trying to sort of grapple within themselves to find the way to do the right thing in a very imperfect and, to some degree, corrupt world."

bms.gif

Looking forward to it.

Now get me someone who understands Superman.

That description honestly sounds like Zack Snyder's take on Superman.

Looking forward to this, especially after Dawn, what a surprisingly great movie that was.
Now, let's get Matt #2 (Vaughn) on the Man of Steel sequel and we're set.

Top Bottom