• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 should cost $1,500?

Blackhead

Redarse
MING-CHI KUO SAYS NO TOUCH ID ON NEW OLED IPHONE
DaringFireball said:
If it’s true that Apple is going to release three new iPhones, my bet is that they’re named the iPhone 7S, iPhone 7S Plus, and iPhone Pro. And I hope the iPhone Pro starts at $1500 or higher. I’d like to see what Apple can do in a phone with a higher price.
Speculation Regarding the Pricing of and Strategy Behind This Year’s New iPhones
DaringFireball said:
I created a bit of a stir the other day when I suggested the OLED iPhone “Pro” could start at $1,500.

Let’s take a serious look at this. $1,500 as a starting price is probably way too high. But I think $1,200 is quite likely as the starting price, with the high-end model at $1,300 or $1,400...

Apple reports its company-wide profit margin each quarter, which tends to hover around 37 or 38 percent... any new iPhone must have a profit margin of at least 35 percent for Apple to maintain its company-wide profit margin...

It’s not enough for Apple to create a phone that can be sold for $649/749/849 with 35 percent profit margins. They have to create a phone that can be sold at those prices, with those margins, and which can be manufactured at scale. And for Apple that scale is massive: anything less than 60–70 million in the first quarter in which it goes on sale is a failure — possibly a catastrophic failure...

It sounds to me like the OLED iPhone is a phone which Apple can’t make 40 million of per quarter, at least not today. And if that’s true, that means it should be more expensive. Not should in any moral sense, but simply because that’s how the principle of supply and demand works. When supply is constrained and demand is high, prices go higher...

What many people want, obviously, is for the new OLED iPhone to simply be the “iPhone 8” and wow us with a new design at the same old prices. But what is Apple supposed to do if, say, Samsung can only produce 10 million OLED displays for Apple per quarter?

The prices for these iPhones need to be high enough so that tens of millions of people still want to buy the iPhone 7S and 7S Plus. If the “iPhone Pro” or “iPhone Edition” or whatever it is that Apple is going to call this phone starts at $800 or even $900, who is going to buy an iPhone 7S or 7S Plus? Not enough people, that’s who. Apple needs tens of millions of people to buy the 7S and 7S Plus because they aren’t going to be able to produce the “Pro/Edition” model in sufficient quantity...

Furthermore, why shouldn’t there be a deluxe “Pro” tier for phones? For many people, phones are every bit as much an essential professional tool as their laptops...

If you want to argue that Apple should never create an iPhone with a higher starting price than what we have today, you’re implicitly arguing that Apple should never put any components into a new iPhone that can’t be made at iPhone 7’s scale. I think that’s dangerous strategically, leaving Apple open to attack from competitors making premium phones with components (cameras, displays, new sensors, new battery technologies, etc.)...

Personally, I think this strategy makes sense, and arguably is overdue... And I’d bet my bottom dollar there are more people who consider their iPhone a “pro” tool (and be willing to pay “pro” prices) than who think so regarding their iPad, and we’ll have had iPad Pros for two years by the time new iPhones are announced in September. If there are iPad Pros and MacBook Pros, why not iPhone Pros?

[Margin analysis is a bit off; millions of people buy the 'old' iPhones each year even though it's 'only' a $100 cheaper than the newest iPhone...]

Samsung S8an specs (~$650):
5.8" curved edge-to-edge OLED display
Fingerprint Scanner
Iris Scanner
Waterproof
Wireless Charging
DeX desktop dock
Headphone Jack
MicroSD card
USB-C​

rumored iPhone J8sus specs (~$1,300)?
5.8" fullscreen OLED display
Fingerprint scanner
3D Face+Iris Scanner
Waterproof
Wireless Charging
Headphone Jack

rumored RED GodPhone specs (~$1,200)
5.7" Holographic display
Modular Attachments
Headphone Jack
MicroSD Card
USB-C​

Would you spend >$1,000 on an iPhone/Android Phone?

linkboy

Not a chance in hell.

I'm not paying $1,500 for a phone that won't let me change the default browser

And I'm not paying $1,500 for an Android phone.

raven777

But what if the android phone was better? you'd never feel fine spending $1,000 because it's not an iphone?

It really depends on what "better" is. I don't just consider raw technical specs when I decide on a phone. High end Samsung Galaxy phones have great specs but other things like the design, build quality, os, etc makes me not want it as much as an iphone. Like Note 7 (without the bomb) and S8 are suppose to be great phones in spec and reviews but I don't really want them.

hoserx

It would stop being better the second it stops getting updates, four months after launch.

Yeah.....four months..........I was still getting updates on my old Nexus 6 until I bought an s8+ last month... so come up with something better. After 2 years of iOS updates, your phone is running like ass trying to handle the new features anyway, so its a bit of a wash.

conpfreak

The only reason why Apple, Samsung, and co. are getting away with these exorbitantly high prices is because consumers are literally financing phones. There's little reason to own a phone that costs that much when it will likely be obsolete in a year.

Fbh

Would you spend >$1,000 on a phone
Hell No

This.

I'm looking for a phone currently and wouldn't spend more than $400 on one.

Specially with newer phones having built in batteries so you can throw them in the trash in 3 years when they can hold like half of the charge that they used to.

I really doubt it's going to increase much as people are not gonna want to pay higher monthly fees for it, how many people are actually buying these phones out right?

So what am I getting for $1200 outside of an OLED screen?

Iris scanner doesn't cut it.

And I'm guessing it has at least 64gb?

Jebusman

Banned
I'm pretty sure the top capacity iPhone 7 Plus in Canada right now is $1300 to buy it direct from Apple?

I'm not sure if the market is willing to support a phone that reaches or even exceeds $2K.

Not because they wouldn't want to. I think at some point their capability to afford one is just exceeded. Would stores even be willing to take the risk letting their customers finance one?

And I'm guessing it has at least 64gb?

The current top iPhone has 256GB, so I'm sure it would reach at least that. In terms of where it starts, 64 or 128 seems likely.

Theonik

I spent what I think was €1,189 on my 256GB iPhone 7 Plus. Honestly they can get away with starting J8sus at close to that with similar storage and it would sell.

How have the last couple iPhone preorders from Apple.com gone? A few years ago I was all ready to order, at the appropriate time, and it was a clusterfuck of crashing and burning and I was not able to get one. Has it gotten any better?

I lined up at a corporate Verizon store to get my current iPhone 7, because I wanted the larger size, and they didn't even get any. The trade deal was too good to pass up so I settled for the small one. Such a shitshow.

kswiston

It would stop being better the second it stops getting updates, four months after launch.

If you buy a flagship Android phone, updates don't stop after 4 months. I just had to update my S7 edge last week.

If you buy a Huawei or BLU phone, maybe. But those are often like a third the price.

Noobcraft

If a phone actually had >$1000 in components and was a fantastic phone I might. The markup on phones is ridiculous though.

jetsetrez

DaringFireball said:
And I hope the iPhone Pro starts at $1500 or higher.
Jesus Christ. Gtfo.

I love Apple and think they make many of the best products in the world, but man, their profit margins are so gross to me, it's so weird that people like him fetishise them.

It's amazing the amount of people who say they'd do it for an iPhone and not an android whatsoever. Like, I get that people buy into the cult of branding but it's a pretty weird thing to say especially as 'android' is an incredibly broad spectrum and from what I've seen on phones like the S8, they're far nicer than any iPhone I've seen.

I'd only buy an iPhone because I'm too deep in the ecosystem though.

In the UK people don't really buy phones, they're part of a contract. I'd probably be willing to drop £1,500 if it was part of a deal, it's less than I'd spend on a TV or whatever and for as much use as a phone gets its not unreasonable. I'm too happy with my 6S to bother upgrading just yet though.

I doubt Apple would offer much for the £1500 though, their mark-ups are so insane that if it's just an OLED and Iris Scanner, I'm good.

oti

Banned
This.

I'm looking for a phone currently and wouldn't spend more than $400 on one.

Specially with newer phones having built in batteries so you can throw them in the trash in 3 years when they can hold like half of the charge that they used to.

It's just a stupid phone. Twitter and Facebook are the same thing whether they're running on a $300 phone or a $1000 phone. People gushing over a phone is the weirdest thing to me.

Jesus Christ. Gtfo.

I love Apple and think they make many of the best products in the world, but man, their profit margins are so gross to me, it's so weird that people like him fetishise them.

Is it?

You can’t really compare the $1500 iPhone 8 model against Samsung S8, because the S8 (outside of China) only comes with 64GB storage while the $1500 iPhone model is rumored to come with 256GB. Remember, that rumored $1500 model is the super high-end model, it’ll probably have some sort of luxury material, just like the Titanium $1500 RED phone. Apple releases phones at different price points for a reason - I wouldn’t pay $1500 for it, but I may get the $1200 one on a payment plan if it does some amazing AR stuff (the big rumored feature being added is two cameras for depth-sensing, and iOS-11’s AR-kit is amazing even with a normal iPhone 6s).

But then, I work in AR/VR so you could call me a pretty extreme enthusiast.

They should drop the number scheme. The three models should be iPhone, iPhone mini and iPhone +

Also a 1500 phone is batshit insane. No way in hell.

Daedardus

Would you spend >$1,000 on an iPhone
Yes

Would you spend >$1,000 on an Android Phone
No

Is there a reason why you would spent that amount on an iPhone but not on an Android if that had the same specs and build quality? Is it purely because of a status of owning an iPhone, like how people buy $2000 purses just because it has a brand name while a $300 one would easily suffice.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
They should drop the number scheme. The three models should be iPhone, iPhone mini and iPhone +

Also a 1500 phone is batshit insane. No way in hell.

I really wish they would go with a lettering scheme. Basically the iPhone Apex or iPhone Apple.

The Apple worship here ridiculous.
I'm not even a huge Apple fan, but they have premium products. Usually their prices are justified (to an extent).

Top Bottom