• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 should cost $1,500?

I am on the Apple upgrade program so I wouldn't be spending over $1000 on a phone anyway. Most people finance their phones anyway. If you buy phones outright then yeah it's expensive. Way out of reach for that crowd.

McLovin

Its going to be a phone for rich people and celebs, also people that want to pretend like their rich. So it will probably sell just fine at $1,500. I sure as hell won't be buying it though.
I am on the Apple upgrade program so I wouldn't be spending over $1000 on a phone anyway. Most people finance their phones anyway. If you buy phones outright then yeah it's expensive. Way out of reach for that crowd.
Its still too much though at $1,500. Even if you stretch it out over 2 years its over $60 on top of your bill per phone. Screw that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
LO Fucking L at any phone over 1k in today's dollar. God damn.

Vuze

Eh, I hope/expect it to start at about 1100€ with 128GB just like the "Special" Editions of the 7 Plus. Below four figures is an unrealistic expectation (well, perhaps 999,99€). That's a price that I'm willing to spend. Simply because I'm extremly happy with my 5S purchase and their software support over the years was and continues to be outstanding.
Anything substantially beyond that or for less space... idk. It would be an insult to sell a 1000€+ phone with 64GB.

iPhone 7S: 759
iPhone 7S Plus: 899
iPhone Decade Anniversary Edition X: 1099

Seems like a good tier to me.

Also I doubt they would call it "Pro". Unless some major features of it have not been leaked as of yet, nothing makes it a "Pro" phone. If there even is such a thing.

teh_pwn

128 GB micro sd with good disk io is like $40.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Don't most consumers only pay a fraction of that anyways due to upgrading when their two year carrier agreement is over? I've never paid full price for an iPhone or Android before.

If this is true, it will absolutely not be called the iPhone 8. All my money has been on it being called the iPhone Pro, and I'd take out a loan to double that bet on it being called the iPhone Pro if it's actually going to be starting at $1,500.

indask8

From a company standpoint, why wouldn't you do that since people are willing to pay for it?

As for me... my last iPhone was the 3GS, I'm now using a Xiaomi phone and very happy with it (and my wallet too).

Farsi

because Samsung is making the OLEDs does that mean that apple can’t implement their new 120hz refresh tech like on the new iPads?

McLovin

Don't most consumers only pay a fraction of that anyways due to upgrading when their two year carrier agreement is over? I've never paid full price for an iPhone or Android before.
The way I understand it you pay off the phone in full at the end of the 2 years. At least thats how it is with t-mobile. I know after I payed off my phones my bill dropped down to half since I didn't upgrade. Like I think my iphone 6 plus was an extra 35 per month on my plan, if you do the math thats over $800 over 2 years. The only people that actually pay a fraction are the ones that have those upgrade every year plans.

teh_pwn

Wait I thought of a good reason for the price: seamless neurological interface. But we all know research labs need to do the work before Apple invents it.

Jeffrey

As someone that switches smartphones every month or 2, I wouldn't mind paying 1k+, but the phone really needs to be some next gen future phone. And everything shown about iPhone 8 doesn't seem too different from s8 or essential.

Main issue for me though is ios. As a power user, it's just easier to do what I want to do quickly on Android over ios, doesn't seem like ios 11 fixes that.

III-V

I would not purchase at that price.

I do understand that there is likely a market for 'upscale' electronics that is starting.

brawly

That's computer money. Not a phone. What the fuck ya'll doing with your phones that warrants this kinda money? Ya'll crazy as hell.

rrs

I don't spend over $200 on a phone
That's computer money. Not a phone. What the fuck ya'll doing with your phones that warrants this kinda money? Ya'll crazy as hell.
high end phones for a high end market, phones have become the computer to plenty of people around the world.

SGRX

They would need more than the rumored specs and features to justify that kind of a price increase. Either way, I probably wouldn't pay that kind of premium to jump in on the first iteration of a phone with so much new tech.

Flo_Evans

Hell no. Electronics are supposed to get cheaper not more expensive wtf.

Removing features and jacking up the price no thanks.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
$60 a month on that cellular device lol. That screen better bring me to Narnia

This is a good way to make an iPhone tier for the wealthy ala the gold apple watch. Not as boutique but we're getting there. Kylie Jenner can flash her Apple Pro while her fans fawn.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Lol this is some bullshit. This is why diehard Apple fans are rightfully mocked :p

spekkeh

Banned
You can’t really compare the $1500 iPhone 8 model against Samsung S8, because the S8 (outside of China) only comes with 64GB storage while the $1500 iPhone model is rumored to come with 256GB.

Apple releases phones at different price points for a reason
You know you can get an s8 for $700 and then an extra 200GB micro SD card for $80 right? $780 and you have more storage than the iphone super pro.

ryan299

that price is ridiculous. Also it's going to be really hard to get. More people are going to want it over another rehash of the 6.

rrs

Lol this is some bullshit. This is why diehard Apple fans are rightfully mocked :p
Apple wouldn't go upmarket if there wasn't a market for it, it's not bullshit: it's marketing and the engineering to back it up. Samsung is slowly inching up to these levels as well, so it's not just some Apple thing in the mass market alone, not counting the thousand+ jewelry phones with real gold, diamonds, and a brand on the device

McLovin

Can't put a price tag on the ultimate peacocking accessory. Think of it like wearing a Rolex, you don't buy a Rolex because it tells time better.

I think I can see them doing this for this year but I think it poses an interesting question for next year that Gruber didn't consider. Apple won't release a 1200/1300 this year and then lower it several hundred dollars next year when supply isn't an issue. I mean they could but I just don't see that happening. If they create this new tier they will have to continue to justify it next year while also upgrading the 7S/7S+. I can ALMOST see it being justified this year with this crazy design and crazy new front cams (though the 7s/7s+ might have them too), and whatever else. Still a super stretch but I can almost see it. But then how do you justify it next year? Do you keep stagnating the cheaper models progression in order for there to be this gap in design and technology for the pro edition?

Just seems weird. I'm also tired of speculating on this release. September why you so far.

$800 for a phone is already dumb enough, I believe phones shouldn't cost more than $300. A $1500 phone would keep me away for good.

giga

This speculation reminds me of the days preceding the iPad. Constant speculation over price, with many guessing something in the realm around $1000. Just silly season all around.

128 GB micro sd with good disk io is like $40.

How good? NVMe in iOS devices hits 400/150 sequential read/write.

83995.png

83996.png

XOMTOR

If this is true, it will absolutely not be called the iPhone 8. All my money has been on it being called the iPhone Pro, and I'd take out a loan to double that bet on it being called the iPhone Pro if it's actually going to be starting at $1,500.

If that's what they end up naming it, that's so lame. Almost as bad as everything in the 80s having the word 'laser' appended to it. Hey, how 'bout iPhone 8 Pro Laser Digital?

Should have just gone with the Roman numeral X, then they could have also gone with iOS X which would have been consistent with previous Apple naming.

Blackhead

Redarse
This speculation reminds me of the days preceding the iPad. Constant speculation over price, with many guessing something in the realm around $1000. Just silly season all around.
No, it's not the same as speculation over the OG iPad price—or similar speculation over the Apple Watch/Edition and HomePods price. That was speculation over a new category before Apple set a price baseline. This is different because Gruber isn't speculating over what the price might be but arguing what it should be. He's suggesting Apple should upend their established pricing&release structure because he wants an elistist/niche Pro/PowerUser phone...

(p.s. Gruber was also way off in his speculation about the iPad and Apple Watch as well)

Top Bottom