• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 should cost $1,500?

giga

No, it's not the same as speculation over the OG iPad price—or similar speculation over the Apple Watch/Edition and HomePods price. That was speculation over a new category before Apple set a price baseline. This is different because Gruber isn't speculating over what the price might be but arguing what it should be. He's suggesting Apple should upend their established pricing&release structure because he wants an elistist/niche Pro/PowerUser phone...

(p.s. Gruber was also way off in his speculation about the iPad and Apple Watch as well)
Who gives a shit what Gruber wants? It's still all speculation without any basis, as was the case with the iPad. I don't really care about your semantics about should and might, but plenty of people back then also speculated about what the iPad *should* be priced at as well as what it might be. In the end, it's still speculation.

gamma

Who gives a shit what Gruber wants? It's still all speculation without any basis, as was the case with the iPad. I don't really care about your semantics about should and might, but plenty of people back then also speculated about what the iPad *should* be priced at as well as what it might be. In the end, it's still speculation.

This thread gives a shit because it's literally about one of his posts. Also if you read his article he does have a basis for his speculation.

giga

MING-CHI KUO SAYS NO TOUCH ID ON NEW OLED IPHONE

Speculation Regarding the Pricing of and Strategy Behind This Year's New iPhones

[Margin analysis is a bit off; millions of people buy the 'old' iPhones each year even though it's 'only' a $100 cheaper than the newest iPhone...]

Samsung S8an specs (~$650):
5.8" curved edge-to-edge OLED display
Fingerprint Scanner
Iris Scanner
Waterproof
Wireless Charging
DeX desktop dock
Headphone Jack
MicroSD card
USB-C​

rumored iPhone J8sus specs (~$1,300)?
5.8" fullscreen OLED display
Fingerprint scanner
3D Face+Iris Scanner
Waterproof
Wireless Charging
Headphone Jack

rumored RED GodPhone specs (~$1,200)
5.7" Holographic display
Modular Attachments
Headphone Jack
MicroSD Card
USB-C​

Would you spend >$1,000 on an iPhone/Android Phone?

Another thing. It's easy to compare devices based on spec lists but when you get to the reviews, the S8 was actually panned for its biometrics.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/3/#h1

The result of all these janky biometric systems? I'm back to using pattern unlock as my primary authentication method, just like the dark days before good fingerprint sensors were added to devices.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15328968/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-s8-plus

To make up for the fingerprint scanner's exceedingly poor placement (Samsung told me that it is where it is because the battery prevented it from being put below the camera), the S8 has two other biometric means of unlocking the phone. The iris scanning that first debuted on the ill-fated Note 7 makes its return, and while I'm sure it's very secure, it's awkward to use, requiring me to hold the phone uncomfortably close to my face and open my eyes comically wide to trigger it.

New for the S8 is a face-scanning feature that is supposed to be the most convenient method of unlocking the phone. I say "supposed to be" because in practice, it almost never worked for me, despite being very impressive in demos before the phone's launch. More often than not, the face scanner would not see me at all, leaving me staring at the phone awkwardly, waiting for something to happen, before eventually capitulating and putting my pattern in. Samsung also says the face-scanning feature isn't as secure as the iris or fingerprint methods, so not only is it slower and less reliable to use, it's less secure, too.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/18/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus-review/

Above the screens are improved, 8-megapixel cameras, and a Note 7-style iris scanner for hands-free unlocking. Most of the time the scanner is fast and frictionless. Often it didn't even show the guide to align your eyes with. Other times I had to open my eyes really wide and move the phone around until I either nailed the alignment or got frustrated and just punched in my PIN.

This thread gives a shit because it's literally about one of his posts. Also if you read his article he does have a basis for his speculation.

That's what I'm saying. We're literally talking about what an Apple pundit wants. And I did read his post. It's speculation.

Izayoi

Banned
Unreal... Debt-driven inflation perfectly illustrated. The long-term outlook on our economy looks more and more bleak by the day.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The idea of the plus camera, screen size, and battery life, in the form factor of the regular size, with a better display, has me very interested despite the price

LeleSocho

Banned
Gruber is out of his melon for wishing the iPhone Pro/Edition/Deluxe/8 costs 1200$.

iPhone is already a premium product and people already do sacrifices to buy it at those stupid prices (even more stupid if you live elsewhere in the world where it costs much more than American prices) BECAUSE it's a premium product.
The moment the new "cooler" iPhone starts at that price you essentially downgrade the state of all the "normal" iPhone users as kind of second class citizens, this will happen regardless of the fact that the 7S will end up looking the same of the 7 (which is where he sees the risks of this strategy) or a brand new design... with removing the social status of having "the best phone on the planet" normal people will not make sacrifices anymore to buy it and won't end up even buying this supposed Pro version because in absolute terms regardless of what one is buying will cost too much money.

Gruber suggesting that this is needed because they want a lower volume platform to experiment with new technologies is to me a moot point because they already have one... they actually had one for 7 years, i'm talking about the iPad.
iPad to some degree had new tech first compared to the iPhone like some of the SoCs, true tone display, good antireflective coatings, small bezel displays and whatnot, it's the ideal platform to experiment with new technologies that might cost a bit more that in the future could trickle down to the iPhone platform.

The sad thing is that he's probably right and Apple will actually move this way with the >1000$ iPhone this year and i hope it won't work at all, they need to feel the heat from the competition and slash their insane margins.

---

I already am plenty mad because in these last years the price of a flagship phone has gone from ~500€ to ~800€, if things continue this way this year's could probably be the last iPhone i buy for a few reasons:
1) i already can only afford to spend 800€ for a phone once every 6-7 years (i am still with an iPhone 4S mind you) having to spend more just makes the product 100% unreachable for me
2) This year is probably the last time we will see an iPhone with LCDs and OLED is a technology that has too many flaws and is not meant to last more than 1-2 years before other problems pop up and for the foreseeable future there is nothing that seems to fix this situation so future iPhones will not be products for me fo wants to use a phone more than 1-2 years.
3) Cheap phones are getting good enough to do everything one can imagine, once Android becomes a good OS (who knows how much that will take) there will be no reason for everyone to spend more than 300$/€ for a smartphone.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This speculation reminds me of the days preceding the iPad. Constant speculation over price, with many guessing something in the realm around $1000. Just silly season all around.

How good? NVMe in iOS devices hits 400/150 sequential read/write.

83995.png

83996.png

Good enough to keep up any real world data link to a phone or video playback and multiply it. That disk io you show is absurdly overkill and a waste of money. Like Pcs to check email with pcie ssds

giga

Good enough to keep up any real world data link to a phone or video playback and multiply it. That disk io you show is absurdly overkill and a waste of money. Like Pcs to check email with pcie ssds

That's fine. If you don't need it, then, by all means, save your money and get a device with expandable storage.

Jigolo

Apples new phone won't come with a fingerprint sensor and we'll have to wait until next year when the tech becomes ready under the screen to have it. We'll have to be satisfied with facial recognition stuff for this year. It's an Apple move but the tech isn't there yet. So unfortunately the feature will be "stripped" from the new iphone.

As for costing >$1000 I doubt it personally but 2 more months and we'll know for sure :)

Pagusas

Elden Member
$800 for a phone is already dumb enough, I believe phones shouldn't cost more than $300. A $1500 phone would keep me away for good.

Just because you can't afford something or don't want to budget for it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. A high end tier of phones is great if there is a market for it. It's existence doesn't exclude you from continuing to get $300 phones, it just lets the rest of us who care get nicer phones.

I didn't know apple fanboyism ran so deep on gaf, ya'll make console fanboys look reasonable.

That said, for most regular human beings, outside of maybe work computers, their phones are easily our most used things in our life.

So yeah, spending £1500 on something that vital and used that much in your everyday life is not a big deal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Increasing prices by roughly double is a good way to tank your business because iphone does not provide enough of an upgrade over competing phones to make it worth it regardless of what feature they are planning. That's a thing you can do when you have a market monopoly.

Increasing prices by roughly double is a good way to tank your business because iphone does not provide enough of an upgrade over competing phones to make it worth it regardless of what feature they are planning. That's a thing you can do when you have a market monopoly.
Adding higher-end options for much more money while maintaining cheaper options (as the rumor says this is doing), is a good business plan. It’s not like they are dropping lower-end iPhone 8’s, the rumor is they are going to be offering two tiers of phones, and then within each tier various options. There are also rumors that they are going to be upgrading iPhone 7’s at the same time with some new features like wireless charging, so they’ll also have that cheaper end available as well.

jwk94

I wouldn't spend $1,000 on an Android phone because I couldn't trust it to last that many years. If I buy a Nexus device or something with total stock android, it'll be feature anemic. If i buy a Samsung device, that thing will be done within two years, plus it's a TouchWiz device.

If i'm spending 1,000 on a phone. it better be something that lasts 5 years and doesn't get immediately usurped by next year's device.

Guess Who

Banned
Gruber is living in an Apple bubble. In every other phone's world, an OLED screen and low-bezel design isn't a premium upsell, it's just what the new model has. Apple will look very silly trying to sell the same idea Samsung pushed six months ago for $700 at $1000+.

I'm not spending 1000+ dollars on any phone! I don't care who made it!

I also don't get the huge Apple love that some have here. Why spend 1500 on an iPhone but gawk at spending 1500 on an Android phone? Probably some divine reason that I'll never understand.

Apple has a history of creating demand around their products, regardless of features

They created a $10,000 smart watch and it sold out

Would I buy it? No.

Would it be crazy for Apple to make a $1500 phone and sell it? Nope

There is really nothing more to this other than curiosity around if Apple can create a higher premium line and have it sell.

TyrantII

I'm still waiting for the $400 Nexus line to come back.

Spending that much on something that can broken from a 2 foot drop is insane.

These are luxury accessory items totally detached from the value of their core functions, and I have little use to throw away money in that game.

1000+ for a phone? I don't live in the same world as you guys who have enough money for that. If I had 1000$ to spend, I'd just go on a trip somewhere with my 100$ budget phone.

Pagusas

Elden Member
1000+ for a phone? I don't live in the same world as you guys who have enough money for that. If I had 1000$ to spend, I'd just go on a trip somewhere with my 100$ budget phone.

Why not do both? Save up your money and go on nice trips with your $1000+ phone?

Ceres

Banned
People can get a second job to pay for it

(It'd have to be the most amazing thing ever for me to consider that kind of price. Like, 500gb+ and know exactly what app I want to go to and open it for me without saying or touching anything. And even then it's probably a no)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phones already have OLED. It's nice but not omg essential. If they try to go 'pro' with Iphone then they're crazy. They already have insane margins and nothing in this rumoured new phone justifies a huge price bump. It's just a new design with new features like when they introduced 5, or 6.

Angel_DvA

I didn't know apple fanboyism ran so deep on gaf, ya'll make console fanboys look reasonable.

That said, for most regular human beings, outside of maybe work computers, their phones are easily our most used things in our life.

So yeah, spending £1500 on something that vital and used that much in your everyday life is not a big deal.

Yeah its crazy lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Phones already have OLED. It's nice but not omg essential. If they try to go 'pro' with Iphone then they're crazy. They already have insane margins and nothing in this rumoured new phone justifies a huge price bump. It's just a new design with new features like when they introduced 5, or 6.

If Google can double the price of their Nexus line with a name change, Apple can probably get away with a $1200-$1500 phone.

I don't know how successful the Pixel was for Google though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Adding higher-end options for much more money while maintaining cheaper options (as the rumor says this is doing), is a good business plan. It's not like they are dropping lower-end iPhone 8's, the rumor is they are going to be offering two tiers of phones, and then within each tier various options. There are also rumors that they are going to be upgrading iPhone 7's at the same time with some new features like wireless charging, so they'll also have that cheaper end available as well.

Except it affects your market perception introduce a device nobody can afford that has similar options to the highest tier phones in your lowest tier. It isn't the same thing as introducing a luxury F-150.

Furyous

I'd pay north of 1K for android device with the following specs:

Five year of os updates
G6 specs + V20 mics + IR blaster + S8 specs in an Xperia Compact or XZs body
Removable battery
Google's Dex equivalent

I don't mind paying it for a 1080p iphone 4.7 inch with wireless fast charging and iPhone 7+ camera.

The 256 GB iPhone 7 is damn close to $1000 unlocked on Apple right now.

I'm looking for a phone currently and wouldn't spend more than $400 on one.

Specially with newer phones having built in batteries so you can throw them in the trash in 3 years when they can hold like half of the charge that they used to.
Dang man, you must be rich, throwing away phones and buying new $400 phones rather than having the battery replaced for like $50-$80. You do realize that non-user-replaceable doesn’t mean non-replaceable, right? Apple offers battery replacement services, as does other manufacturers.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
That's fine. If you don't need it, then, by all means, save your money and get a device with expandable storage.

Honestly I cannot think of a mobile application that would levereage 25% of that. Maybe Google Earth 3D with GBs of data preloaded?

Costa Kid

They keep bumping the prices. The highest memory on the 4S jumped up an extra 100€ when the 5 came out. Then it trickled upward from there every single iteration of the iPhone.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
y'all are crazy. what is a $1500 phone going to do for you that a $700 phone won't?

Get you targeted as a mark for getting robbed...

Holy hell $1500...

Some of ya'll crazy ready to drop that much for a fucking phone

I would understand if it was elite top tier technology that's like 1-2 years from normalcy your buying into as a beta consumer, but for what it's offering, yeesh

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am on the Apple upgrade program so I wouldn't be spending over $1000 on a phone anyway. Most people finance their phones anyway. If you buy phones outright then yeah it's expensive. Way out of reach for that crowd.

Don't most consumers only pay a fraction of that anyways due to upgrading when their two year carrier agreement is over? I've never paid full price for an iPhone or Android before.

People not fully understanding their finance payments probably held Apple justify something like this. People only see $50 per month or an extra $5 and don't give a second thought to it

- if you're on apples upgrade program then you're still paying the full price for your phone. You throw away the money you paid for the last 12 months and start a new 20 month payment plan for the new phone. If you don't upgrade again you'll fully pay for your new phone over those 20 months

- if you're on a 2 year contract then most of that monthly bill is paying for the phone. You see your new contract only being a couple dollars a month more and think it is good value. But again you're completely paying for the phone over throws 2 years, plus your service plan on top. If you *didnt* upgrade and switched to sim only, you'd save hundreds over the 2 years in comparison.

jacobeid

Banned
When a phone is more expensive than my gaming PC, I'm out.

Just upgraded from my old 5S to a 64GB 6S. Paid $300. I'm fine being behind now that phones cost so much money.

Top Bottom