• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil Within 2: Pictures/GIFs posted on Social Media

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Thanks for the recap !

It's funny because I wasn't even a huge fan of the The Evil Within, but The Evil Within 2 is one of the few 60$ games I'm sure to get day one this year. It's just the type of game I will want to play at the moment. Happy to see Mikami back also.

dan2026

Disappointed by the first game, still having high hopes for the sequel and so far it looks good.
Yeah finally gave it another shot and aaaagh it isn't good.

The game has basically screwed me on chapter 6. You have to do a long arena fight, where I ended up using pretty much all my ammo. Then as you go to leave the arena it spawns the chainsaw dude.
I have nothing to fight him with and there is no way of getting more ammo.

So fuck you evil within.

Replicant

The game has basically screwed me on chapter 6. You have to do a long arena fight, where I ended up using pretty much all my ammo. Then as you go to leave the arena it spawns the chainsaw dude.

So fuck you evil within.

Yeah, ammo management is unfortunately the name of the game. Always leave yourself more than 1 save file. In fact, save as often so you can rewind to the point where your ammo consumption wasn't severe.

From then, analyse the enemies placement and see which ones you can kill using sneak or environmental kill or if not, one shot then burn in groups. Keep doing it until you feel you have enough ammo for the upcoming boss battle.

Unfortunately the game does straddles the line between forcing the players to be willing to repeat certain areas and frustrating them. It's up to you whether the adrenaline rush that occur after you overcome a really difficult part is worth the suffering or not.

BBboy20

DEi-0OXUMAEyiSi.jpg:large

Dude looks like he's decked out for Operation Intrude N313.

SomTervo

So fuck you evil within.

You'd be surprised how much you can get away with using stealth/close combat.

But yeah you might be fucked.

5olid_5nake

I still don't see that dynamic lighting that made TEW stand out visually and was the thing that gave it an amazing atmosphere (among other things).

the-evil-within-gif-1.gif

tew-gif-mainroom.gif

Sure, textures look improved, but somehow it seems "flat".

Or maybe I just have to wait to see more gameplay footage.

Funny enough I just finished The Consequence Dlc last night. Awesome stuff.

A flawed game to be sure, but I LOVE the first one. Technically the engine and graphics are a mixed bag, but yet I still think the game looks great. At least the art style. It just absolutely nails the dirty and gritty look/atmosphere, the sound design shines with headphones on, and the lighting consistently still blows me away.

The sequel is easily one of my most anticipated games.

Majmun

The atmosphere in the original is more dense, and it has richer art direction.

But we have't seen much so far, so

dan2026

You'd be surprised how much you can get away with using stealth/close combat.

But yeah you might be fucked.

I have realised I am saved before the arena fight.
So I can do it all again while saving something for the chainsaw fucker.

But what fucking bad game design that it can just screw you like that.
Unknowingly putting the player into an unwinnable situation.

xviper

the only single player game i'm looking forward to this year

but it's kinda colorful, the first game was dark and the atmosphere was perfect even though the graphic was bad

still, gonna be amazing for sure

Gonna be GOTY.

But yeah, the atmosphere/art direction does appear to have shifted away from the extremely gritty/grungy atmosphere of the first game to something more cleaner emphasizing the contrast between the surreal and the every day. We'll see how it works out for the full game (and the gameplay trailer seemed to show some areas that are closer to the first game, sometimes quite literally) but I think I prefer the extremely gothic and moody look of the first game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well they aped TLOU animation/stealth pretty hard here.

I'm glad.

Stealth player control and animation was the worst aspect of TEW for me (other than performance) so any improvement is welcome. And needed.

T.O.P

Banned
Disappointed by the first game, still having high hopes for the sequel and so far it looks good.

This is me as well

First game had some really good ideas but it ended up being kinda messy, but i'm all in for this sequel right now, already pre-ordered actually

Those gifs nghhh

xviper

the only single player game i'm looking forward to this year

but it's kinda colorful, the first game was dark and the atmosphere was perfect even though the graphic was bad

still, gonna be amazing for sure

Gbraga

This is also where I am. I'm really excited for this, even though I was incredibly disappointed with the first.

The idea is just really good, and their pedigree is incredible, so I can't help but get excited for a second shot at that world.

Part of it is because they no longer will have to try to keep us questioning reality. It's a sequel, they can just assume people know how things work and go nuts with the transitions.

-MD-

I have realised I am saved before the arena fight.
So I can do it all again while saving something for the chainsaw fucker.

But what fucking bad game design that it can just screw you like that.
Unknowingly putting the player into an unwinnable situation.

There's always enough resources to get you through to the next area but the game wants you to take advantage of stealth kills, matches and environmental traps as well.

myco666

There's always enough resources to get you through to the next area but the game wants you to take advantage of stealth kills, matches and environmental traps as well.

You can actually screw yourself over with that checkpoint. You can explore the whole area, pick up all ammo, use all ammo and then trigger the sadist fight that also activates the checkpoint. Don't think the game will spawn more ammo in that kind of situation.

luulubuu

The Evil Within 2 |OT| Look at this photograph, every time i do it makes me spook
The Evil Within 2 |OT| Shootin' some pictures
The Evil Within 2 |OT| Unreal Horror
The Evil Within 2 |OT| Paparazzi Break
The Evil Within 2 |OT| Photo Mode from Hell
The Evil Within 2 |OT| Psycho Break SNAP

Erevador

I am getting the feeling that this could be the Silent Hill 2 of this franchise.

Couldn't be more pleased about that.

I still don't see that dynamic lighting that made TEW stand out visually and was the thing that gave it an amazing atmosphere (among other things).

the-evil-within-gif-1.gif

tew-gif-mainroom.gif

Sure, textures look improved, but somehow it seems "flat".

Or maybe I just have to wait to see more gameplay footage.

Agreed, so far the atmosphere is really not as good as the first game. The art direction doesn't seem as inspired as well.

Having a western guy as director for a Japanese horror game sequel is definitely not very good in my opinion. I really want to know why Mikami isn't directing.

dan2026

You can actually screw yourself over with that checkpoint. You can explore the whole area, pick up all ammo, use all ammo and then trigger the sadist fight that also activates the checkpoint. Don't think the game will spawn more ammo in that kind of situation.
It does not.
It gives you nothing.

Also I kinda a assumed your partner would help by shooting from the outside.
Nope.

Baffling.

Agreed, so far the atmosphere is really not as good as the first game. The art direction doesn't seem as inspired as well.

Having a western guy as director for a Japanese horror game sequel is definitely not very good in my opinion. I really want to know why Mikami isn't directing.

I'd rather have Mikami create something new. TEW while good, was not his typical high level of quality compared to his other games.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| Look at this photograph, every time i do it makes me spook

The Evil Within 2 |OT| Insane in the Membrane
The Evil Within 2 |OT| Say Cheese and Die

I just hope they don't screw the game halfway like the first one...

The first one started so good! Disturbing and horror elements all around.. Then as always.. it had to turn into a RE6 COD shooting game completely eliminating the tension and direction of the first half...

Is it too much to even ask?

Maybe they actually want true horror? Wasn't games like condemned done by a western developer? They can be good for sure..

Shredderi

One of my favourite things about this and Wolfenstein: the new colossus is that the textures are finally at competent levels.

kodecraft

Mikami's philosophy for his game studio is to facilitate up and coming game designers. They learn from him but get a chance to direct titles out of the studio.

Then as always.. it had to turn into a RE6 COD shooting game completely eliminating the tension and direction of the first half...

Ammo management was key until the end, so for me this game never turned into RE6/COD.

The game threw more enemies at you so ammo to balance that had to be given.

Kazuhira

Mikami is busy with president stuff and he always had a stance on letting people with potential grow,just like he did with Kamiya.
He is not going to give the responsibility of Tango's only known franchise to incapable hands if that was the case and yet,Mikami is not completely out of the picture.
I think John Johanas proved himself with the first game that he is capable of taking the lead and Mikami knows that too.

Gator86

Hoping they lean hard into the stealth, survival horror aspect of it like the best, early chapters in EW1 and not the awful, clunky shooter chapters. Also please run like a game designed by people who have used computers before.

It does not.
It gives you nothing.

Also I kinda a assumed your partner would help by shooting from the outside.
Nope.

Baffling.

The only way i can think of to take down mr chainsaw using no ammo is via the knife, but you need flashbolts to proc the knife command. There is also the ability to melee. But you need to be real good for that to be a viable strat. Im also pretty sure you can avoid that situation altogether as you can just hop into the arena without clearing the enemies as they should despawn.

Shredderi

It does look a little soft. Is it chromatic aberration? I usually don't recognize it by myself but I feel like that's what I'm seeing here.

It does look a little soft. Is it chromatic aberration? I usually don't recognize it by myself but I feel like that's what I'm seeing here.

It looks like there might be some CA only on the camera enemy in the second pic, which would be kinda neat given CA is a camera lens thing.

But other than that, I don't see it

Archanfel

Absofreakinglutely love TEW! Masterpiece for me. Platinumed it on ps4 and beat the hell out of it again when I built a new gaming PC shortly after. Even loved both DLC's. Super pumped for TEW 2.

Gbraga

The Evil Within 2 |OT| Available on consoles and STEM

He doesn't want Tango to be Shinji Mikami's Game Factory, basically. He wants to create new talent, and since they can't afford to make more than one big budget game at a time, that means he won't direct most of their games, I guess.

Top Bottom