• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Resident Evil 5 = 9.5 million (7.2 million OG + 2.3 million Gold), HD probably pushes it over 10 million.

Resident Evil 6 = ~8 million (6.8 million OG + 1.1 million HD)

Resident Evil 7 = 3.7 million

Total Franchise sales = 78 million

For Perspective:

RE 5 = over 5 million sales over 3 months

RE 6 = 5.2 million sales over 6 months

RE 7 = 3.7 million sales over 6 months

Edit: Also for reference, they wanted 4 million of RE 7 sold by March 2017. It's at 3.7 million as of June 30, 2017. They also want 5.5 million sold by next March, and it did 200K this quarter.

Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.

Stygr

Banned
The two most hated games in the series are the best selling games of the whole series.
Good for Capcom, now we need a Devil May Cry 5.

oti

Banned
Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.

Nothing stops them from going more actiony in the next game. Critics got what they wanted and Resi 7 is pretty much the modern interpretation of a horror game. I think that's good enough.

f7FdEdG.jpg

They ruined both Dead Rising and Resident Evil series.

Blablurn

Resident Evil needs to go back to its originals action roots including run and gun content. 7 was obviously a mistake.

Stygr

Banned
RE7 is a failure.
They need to go back to RE6 style action title.

Not at all, RE7 with those numbers has covered the development cost and now they are earning. With RE6, they couldn't broke even at 5 million copies because the game was so expensive, a lot more expensive than the usual Capcom or Japanese game.
And yes, obvioulsy an action RE will sell more than a true survival horror one.

Good job Capcom for making a good game. RE5 was very good, but RE6 was a mess.

Resident Evil needs to go back to its originals action roots including run and gun content. 7 was obviously a mistake.

Resident Evil origins are not action run and gun. RE7 was a return to its roots.

Kikorin

I'm surprised that the worst main RE ever made (RE6) sold that much and one of the best (RE7) is a failure. Anyway I'm pretty sure that if they'll make RE8 a shitty b-movie like action game again, it will bomb hard, at this point I don't see a bright future for the series if they don't put a lot of effort on developing the next one.

I don't think RE 8 will have a big budget like RE 6, but I doubt it'll be in first person like 7. I wonder about RE 2 Remake actually...

I'm surprised that the worst main RE ever made (RE6) sold that much and one of the best (RE7) is a failure. Anyway I'm pretty sure that if they'll make RE8 a shitty b-movie like action game again, it will bomb hard, at this point I don't see a bright future for the series if they don't put a lot of effort on developing the next one.

Since when is 3.7 million a failure? It will probability hit 5 million lifetime which is solid. Was any one expecting a true horror game to do blockbuster numbers?

I'm disappointed in you GAF.

I'm more of a RE 1-3 guy but mad props to Capcom for RE7.

Yep. I would like see a comparison on the budgets of RE6 and RE7. It seems to me that RE7 was cheaper project and RE6 had much talk about its bloated development so sales don't tell the complete story.

I wouldn't mind a switch back to third person at all, but I don't want RE playing like Gears of War.

Neff

We knew RE7 was going to struggle compared to 5 and 6 without co-op. The shortness of the game and lack of compelling characters only compounded that struggle.

It's a very good game nonetheless though and I agree that Capcom was right to take a gamble.

It seems to me that RE7 was cheaper project and RE6 had much talk about its bloated development so sales don't tell the complete story.

It was no doubt cheaper to make than RE6 but still an extremely big and expensive project.

TannerDemoz

What's RE1 and 0 at on digi sales?

Anyone spared a thought that 6 might have shattered purchasing confidence?

I nearly never bought 7 because 6 was dog shit. I'm sure there's many more out there (although these numbers still stuck...)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

WTF am I reading here. Pleasing horror fans? Cos why the fuck should RE try to please horror fans?

RE7 is a failure.
They need to go back to RE6 style action title.

No they bloody well don't. RE7 sold those copies despite RE6. An action game in it's place would have fared no better or worse.

Gurish

Good job Capcom for making a good game. RE5 was very good, but RE6 was a mess.

RE6 was really awful that's true but the conclusion that they needed to take is to make a good action RE, not to do a 180 turn.

I LOVE old school Resi and I prefer them the most but you can't deny that from a business standpoint RE7 seems like a mistake, if a multi million franchise is turning into a niche than you are obviously doing something wrong here.

RE7 should have been a side game in the franchise, not a fully numbered entry.

Kyoufu

I nearly never bought 7 because 6 was dog shit. I'm sure there's many more out there (although these numbers still stuck...)

It's possible, but I think it being a first person horror game was the bigger factor in putting off players. I think it not having co-op like RE5 and RE6 also put off others used to that feature as well.

They took a lot of risks with this game.

Mengetsu

Since when is 3.7 million a failure? It will probability hit 5 million lifetime which is solid. Was any one expecting a true horror game to do blockbuster numbers?
RE7 to me is the best thing Capcom has done in years. Monster Hunter World is the next thing that has me excited. RE6 had so much hype behind it following RE5 and had many fan favorites in the game. RE7 was a new story with none of the old characters too sell it on besides the fact it's going back to horror survival.

For that 3.7 million seems great with no returning character to sell it with. I don't give Capcom much credit these days but, RE7 will always be a positive from me.

Dadasch

They will go back to the old Formula.

Oh, whatever. I criticised Capcom a lot over this shitty Action course they had with RE5 and especially RE6 but seeing this numbers...

I guess people deserve it. Hopefully RE2Remake will be decent (it won't).

me0wish

Anything is better than the forgettable RE7.

Revelations 2 had the perfect balance imo, it suffered from being low budget, which resulted in it having pacing issues and low production values.

REmake HD is at 1.9 million and RE 0 HD is at 1.4 million.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They will go back to the old Formula.

Oh, whatever. I criticised Capcom a lot over this shitty Action course they had with RE5 and especially RE6 but seeing this numbers...

I guess people deserve it. Hopefully RE2Remake will be decent (it won't).

If REmake 2 is in any way half decent it will easily clear 5 million. That game is revered.

The next one in this style will sell better. RE7 is the best thing this franchise had since RE4.

Exactly, RE8 will have momentum as the previous one was well received and generally perceived as a return to form. RE7 had no such advantage.

It's a failure by Capcom's standards. They were happy when it was at least somewhat close to their initial 4 million estimate, but they expect 6 million before the fiscal year ends and 10 million in its lifetime.

Unless Capcom works hard in doing RE7's legs right, it'll always be a failure to them because it's never going to reach the bars they set.

RE6 was really awful that's true but the conclusion that they needed to take is to make a good action RE, not to do a 180 turn.

I LOVE old school Resi and I prefer them the most but you can't deny that from a business standpoint RE7 seems like a mistake, if a multi million franchise is turning into a niche than you are obviously doing something wrong here.

RE7 should have been a side game in the franchise, not a fully numbered entry.

Approaching 4 million in 6 months is niche now? Yes it sold worse than the last two main entries, but it's doing alright. There is no guarantee a switch back to action would result in higher sales either. RE6 was very damaging to the brand.

RE6 posined the well? Hello!

RE6 HD barebones port sold 1.1 fucking million. Stop with this narrative that RE 6 was hated and killed the series while RE7 has brought it back. Only for critics, maybe.

Ragona

Did Resident Evil 7 cost the same than Resident Evil 5 or 6 relative to the time?
Numbers aren't the sole factor of success here, they basically gave the series new life.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RE6 posined the well? Hello!

RE6 HD barebones port sold 1.1 fucking million. Stop with this narrative that RE 6 was hated and killed the series while RE7 has brought it back. Only for critics, maybe.

Yeah, RE6 was incredibly successful overall.

Shipped ~4.8-5.1 million around launch (I forget the exact number).

Climbed to 6.8 million on 360/PS3/PC alone.

Moved another 1.1 million with the HD remaster.

It's certainly less than RE5, but it's still a very large number.

Oregano

Approaching 4 million in 6 months is niche now? Yes it sold worse than the last two main entries, but it's doing alright. There is no guarantee a switch back to action would result in higher sales either. RE6 was very damaging to the brand.

Resident Evil 6 has sold a million copies as a rerelease. People really overestimate how damaging it was.

No rerelease of RE7 will sell a million copies, that's for sure.

ffvorax

I think RE7 sold less for many reasons:
1- RE6 was so terrible many didn't buy this "sequel" (I want to believe this is true, still people rebuyed in hd...)
2- No canon characters, "remake" idea needs time, and in that pow I think it did good (and after all it looks like more a spin-off than a remake, because it's the same universe)
3- First person horror sell less than 3rd person action/horror (and anyway if you play it, it's actually a lot more action than it looks at the beginning)

So I hope they are aware of this and don't go back to the shitty action franchise it became... or at least give us a different franchise with this kind of horror/action.

EDIT.
damn looks like they didn't get what expected... RIP goo RE horror games.... :(

Did Resident Evil 7 cost the same than Resident Evil 5 or 6 relative to the time?
Numbers aren't the sole factor of success here, they basically gave the series new life.

New life with less sales? I do expect RE8 to sell better than RE7 though. A bit of fine tuning and it could be real good. Still think FPV sucks, it certaibly didn't make the game any "scarier" if that was the goal.

Sandfox

Capcom expected it to ship 4 million by March 2017 and are expecting to ship 2 million this FY with it having only shipped 200k so far. They also said two months ago that they expect it to hit 10 million lifetime.

Top Bottom