• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

PR_rambo

Banned
RE7 brought me back, I was thoroughly let down by RE6, but they totally redeemed the franchise. Plenty of other studios are better at TPS action, so it was nice too see Capcom retake their place in the horror genre.

Please don't let survival horror disappear again. If the mainline RE's are going back to action then they need to let the RE7 team do a series of spin-offs or a new IP.

I honestly wouldn't mind another attempt at RE6. All they need to do is get more talented game designers and focus on the gameplay instead of expensive-ass set pieces.

Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.

How dare they make games that are not catered towars mainstream dude-bro who prefer big budget over the top action shooter.

With all due respect, people like you are sad, all you see is sales and money. Making something great and niche is a ''wasted business potential'' to you.

There are people in Capcom who are actually passionate about making unique, atmospheric horror games, they are the developers and the artists, they don't care how much money the game will make just so the higher up selfish fucks can celebrate the profit it generated. You know how I know? Cause I met a couple of them outside Shibuya station earlier this year.

This might be shocking for people like you, but there are developers who actually want to make great, unique and special games, there are people who makes games they want to make regardless of how it's gonna sell.

Seriously though, why do I even bother? People like you will never understand anyway, Shadow of the Colossus is probably a waste of investment in your eyes too, because it is noo niche, too different and sales are simply unimpressive at release.

I hope to god people like you don't work at the gaming industry. People like you squash other's dream in favor of profit.

''at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.'' what a loathsome post this is.

Stygr

Banned
Please don't let survival horror disappear again. If the mainline RE's are going back to action then they need to let the RE7 team do a series of spin-offs or a new IP.

I honestly wouldn't mind another attempt at RE6. All they need to do is get more talented game designers and focus on the gameplay instead of expensive-ass set pieces.

Nah don't worry, we still got The Evil Within 2 coming this year, they will not disappear.

Nah don't worry, we still got The Evil Within 2 coming this year, they will not disappear.

So TWO big budget AAA horror IPs left? Seems like they have already disappeared. We could be down to zero depending on TEW2 performance if Capcom gets scared and runs back to action.

cvxfreak

Yeah, RE6 was incredibly successful overall.

Shipped ~4.8-5.1 million around launch (I forget the exact number).

Climbed to 6.8 million on 360/PS3/PC alone.

Moved another 1.1 million with the HD remaster.

It's certainly less than RE5, but it's still a very large number.

RE6 proved that a bad mainstream game will still sell, especially at bomba bin prices. Let's also not forget that the company's original estimate was 7 million copies.

The PS4 remaster did well for itself, but RE re-releases have a history of selling well, so it's not exactly unprecedented.

RE6 probably cost 4x more to make. That entire game is a lavish and expensive production from top to bottom. It selling more doesn't really mean anything. That game failed to meet sales expectations multiple times despite selling such a large number of copies.

TannerDemoz

It's possible, but I think it being a first person horror game was the bigger factor in putting off players. I think it not having co-op like RE5 and RE6 also put off others used to that feature as well.

They took a lot of risks with this game.

Yeah, I won't lie when I first heard about it I couldn't see it working. It'd be interesting to see how many people the demo put off – I thought it was weak.

Need to find a medium between RE4/5 for the next mainline and maybe carry on the survival horror as an off-spin?

Sales figures are really worrying. I hope we don't lose the FPS perspective because Res 7 was one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
What if the back to back shitty RE games (5 + 6 and imo Rev 1+2) caused the lower sales of 7, because people got tired of Cacpcoms bs and lost hope for the franchise

Spman2099

Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.

You just HAD to make a good game didn't you, Capcom. Now you are being punished with slightly under four million sales. You deserve this, Capcom. You did it to yourself.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
REmake HD is at 1.9 million and RE 0 HD is at 1.4 million.

This is WAY closer than I was expecting. Maybe people enjoyed REmake so much that it got them hyped for RE0. Still, RE0 is a decent game and deserves some success.

Put RE4 on Switch.

It would make SO much sense, RE4 portable is the dream. If it was released today on Switch it would clear a million easily.

xrnzaaas

Almost 4 million is a great result, I never thought the game could reach those levels because most horrors struggle to get past 1-2 million. Capcom should be happy especially since RE7 was cheaper to make than RE6.

RE6 was officially a financial success, BTW. Capcom mentioned this fact when explaining why they chose a less action-oriented route for RE7 -- that RE6 was so difficult to top that they chose to go for something more conservative.

Gasian

Yeah, RE6 was incredibly successful overall.

Shipped ~4.8-5.1 million around launch (I forget the exact number).

Climbed to 6.8 million on 360/PS3/PC alone.

Moved another 1.1 million with the HD remaster.

It's certainly less than RE5, but it's still a very large number.
I am smart enough to know that Horror RE's don't nearly have the wide appeal of action titles, especially when those action titles have multiplayer. RE5/RE6 thrived off of that and obviously continue to do so with the HD remasters.

My question is, Do you think RE7 would have sold more if Capcom's marketing was better and it had a better demo that actually showed what the games was like?

Now I don't think they would have sold way more, probably still way less than RE5 and RE6 just like it is now. But I imagine it would have been better.

Renekton

How was RE7's developments costs?

It looks far less expensive to make than RE6, for one. Not to mention the marketing.

Not at all, RE7 with those numbers has covered the development cost and now they are earning. With RE6, they couldn't broke even at 5 million copies because the game was so expensive, a lot more expensive than the usual Capcom or Japanese game.
And yes, obvioulsy an action RE will sell more than a true survival horror one.

I like how people seem to forget this all the time...
Development costs, how do they work?

RE6's development was so massively bloated that they had OVER 600 devs working on it, compare that to the usual team sizes at Capcom (or even at any other Japanese developer) and it should become rather apparent why they were massively disappointed over 5+ million sales in the first 6 months and got pushed to the brink of bankruptcy in the following year (which resulted in years of them doing barely anything bigger than super save HD remasters for pretty much their entire PS2 era catalogue and heavily money-hatted titles such as Street Fighter 5). Capcom tried to move up into the the AAA league with RE6 and came down crashing and burning in the process.

Meanwhile the development cost for RE7 being much cheaper is not only pretty much a given, the sales satisfied Capcom according to their earlier statements AND also paid for the development of an entire new Engine that they are going to use to crank out several more games, particularly ones with VR modes, something that couldn't be said for RE6. In particular it means they can push RE8 out much cheaper and faster if it follows the formula of RE7 (AFAIR the engine is designed around narrow interiors), it was an investment into the future.

And the most important thing... RE6 could be bought at bargain bin prices barely a month or two after at release, something that can't be said for RE7.

Village

Says the fanboy and holy defender of FFXV, a game where the studio tried to go in a new direction and failed miserably.

FFXV sold extremely well and reviewed extremely well, and is a popular game

On what planet did ffxv fail on any metric besides, coming out in a timely manner

Welfare

Says the fanboy and holy defender of FFXV, a game where the studio tried to go in a new direction and failed miserably.

You mean the same game that was a commercial and critical success? The same game going in that if it failed that we would never get another console FF again? THAT FFXV?

Not sure why you bring up FFXV of all games.

Gurish

I'm not necessarily support what he said nor do I even care about FF but FFXV is a massive success, might be the biggest success the franchise ever had, so him defending it is backed up by the success the game had I think.

Åesop;244733823 said:
What if the back to back shitty RE games (5 + 6 and imo Rev 1+2) caused the lower sales of 7, because people got tired of Cacpcoms bs and lost hope for the franchise

I mean, RE 5 has never stopped selling (Gold edition was 2 years after the OG release and sold 2.3 million with the OG selling 7.2 million) and RE 6 HD has sold 1.1 million. Revelations 1 HD alone sold 1.7 million (not counting 3DS sales which are probably at least 500K) and Revelations 2 sold 2.2 million despite being episodic and cross-gen. These games aren't reviled like people think they are otherwise Capcom would have stopped making them years ago.

FFXV sold extremely well and reviewed extremely well, and is a popular game

On what planet did ffxv fail on any metric besides, coming out in a timely manner

It sold well and has a 81 on MC, which is lol, not extremely well. Worst reviewed mainline FF. Failure is my opinion, should include that next time.

I'm not necessarily support what he said nor do I even care about FF but FFXV is a massive success, might be the biggest success the franchise ever had, so him defending it is backed up by the success the game had I think.

In my subjective opinion.

Almost 4 million is a great result, I never thought the game could reach those levels because most horrors struggle to get past 1-2 million. Capcom should be happy especially since RE7 was cheaper to make than RE6.

Oh trust me, RE7 is waaaay cheaper than RE6.

It's amazing how they manage to make so much out of so little.

Oh trust me, RE7 is waaaay cheaper than RE6.

It's amazing how they manage to make so much out of so little.

Actually, maybe not that cheaper, definitely cheper though. We have to take into account that they developed a new engine for RE 7 (that will likely be used in other games of the franchise).

Spman2099

Yeah, since for consumers the only thing that matters is how much a company makes money they should've gone with the FFXV route and made a shit game that sold to casual players instead of a good game.

The thirteenth chapter of FFXV is the scariest horror game I have ever played... I kept screaming "When will it end?" over and over again as my sanity slowly slipped.

tolkir

RE4 is where the big bucks are at (at least for a Nintendo System if they manage to keep Wii controls)

I refuse to believe they aren't localizing it.
They have to, right?

If they have localizated Monster Hunter Stories, XX shouldn't be have problems.

kromeo

The game was a success for SE certainly but from my point of view it came at the cost of abandoning everything I loved about the genre for so long. Not sure why it's being bought up here though

Stygr

Banned
I like how people seem to forget this all the time...
Development costs, how do they work?

RE6's development was so massively bloated that they had OVER 600 devs working on it, compare that to the usual team sizes at Capcom (or even at any other Japanese developer) and it should become rather apparent why they were massively disappointed over 5+ million sales in the first year and got pushed to the brink of bankruptcy in the following year (which resulted in years of them doing barely anything bigger than super save HD remasters for pretty much their entire PS2 era catalogue and heavily money-hatted titles such as Street Fighter 5). Capcom tried to move up into the the AAA league with RE6 and came down crashing and burning in the process.

Meanwhile the development cost for RE7 was not only very likely much cheaper, the sales satisfied Capcom according to their statements AND also paid for the development of an entire new Engine that they are going to use to crank out several more games, particularly ones with VR modes, something that couldn't be said for RE6. In particular it means they can push RE8 out much cheaper and faster if it follows the formula of RE7 (AFAIR the engine is designed around narrow interiors), it was an investment into the future.

Exactly,i think, RE6, FFXV and MGS V are the most expensive japanese games in the last 10 years.

Neith

Banned
Part of the reason is that we live in an age where even NORMAL people have backlogs over 50 games. Nobody cares at this point unless your game is changing the scope of the top most quality tier. And Resident Evil 7 while cool is not really doing that.

I'll pick it up at some point, but I simply don't have the time right now.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
LMAO at people atacking the first poster using a different game that he like.

People are attacking the first poster for advocating company profits over creativity.

If he wants Capcom to turn into Activision that's fine, but there will not be many that agree.

Top Bottom