• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

Spman2099

The game was a success for SE certainly but from my point of view it came at the cost of abandoning everything I loved about the genre for so long. Not sure why it's being bought up here though

The first person to post here was being a bit of a knob so people decided to drag a (severly flawed) game he likes through the mud a little.

I would be surprised if RE7 cost anywhere near what 5 & 6 cost to make. So in the overall picture, RE7 has probably done well.

It was certainly a million times better than 5 or 6 though that's for sure. But that's just me, I prefer horror focused RE like the original and remake, compared to action focused RE, plus RE7 in VR is one of the best and most terrifying gaming experiences I've ever had.

Stygr

Banned
You mean the same game that was a commercial and critical success? The same game going in that if it failed that we would never get another console FF again? THAT FFXV?

Not sure why you bring up FFXV of all games.

Critical success? Among all the AAA RPG in this generation, FF XV has the lowest metacritc and one of the lowest of the FF mainline series.

Some Nobody

How dare they make games that are not catered towars mainstream dude-bro who prefer big budget over the top action shooter.

With all due respect, people like you are sad, all you see is sales and money. Making something great and niche is a ''wasted business potential'' to you.

There are people in Capcom who are actually passionate about making unique, atmospheric horror games, they are the developers and the artists, they don't care how much money the game will make just so the higher up selfish fucks can celebrate the profit it generated. You know how I know? Cause I met a couple of them outside Shibuya station earlier this year.

This might be shocking for people like you, but there are developers who actually want to make great, unique and special games, there are people who makes games they want to make regardless of how it's gonna sell.

Seriously though, why do I even bother? People like you will never understand anyway, Shadow of the Colossus is probably a waste of investment in your eyes too, because it is noo niche, too different and sales are simply unimpressive at release.

I hope to god people like you don't work at the gaming industry. People like you squash other's dream in favor of profit.

''at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.'' what a loathsome post this is.

Lol. This post is embarrassing. The assumption to be drawn from his post is that he preferred RE6 to RE7, not that he's pissed it didn't live up to its sales potential.

Spman2099

I would be surprised if RE7 cost anywhere near what 5 & 6 cost to make. So in the overall picture, RE7 has probably done well.

It was certainly a million times better than 5 or 6 though that's for sure. But that's just me, I prefer horror focused RE like the original and remake, compared to action focused RE, plus RE7 in VR is one of the best and most terrifying gaming experiences I've ever had.

Every word this man speaks is true...

TannerDemoz

You want sales?

merchant-resident-evil-4-8.63.jpg

Bring him back

Arklite

Shame it's not hitting their high expectations but those figures are pretty damn great for the type of game RE7 is. Ironically the perception of it being much more horror focused than action horror (which it actually is) likely limits it further.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
RE7 in VR is one of the best and most terrifying gaming experiences I've ever had.

People NEED to experience the game in VR, it's fantastic in it's standard mode, but VR elevates it to another level. At this point I thought I was done with standout, unique game experiences, but RE7 VR was just that. I liken it to playing Mario 64 for the first time.

I don't know who that is

Whatever gaming hardware it is you own, go to the store and buy RE4 right now!

WTF am I reading here. Pleasing horror fans? Cos why the fuck should RE try to please horror fans?

No they bloody well don't. RE7 sold those copies despite RE6. An action game in it's place would have fared no better or worse.

Because it's a minority segment.

Re5 was enjoyable, 6 was shit, but both had co-op, which is where the general market is headed.

I want RE8 to be more of RE5 + Lost in Nightmares.
Didn't even bother with 7, after loving 1-4.

pagrab

I always think that when it comes to big series, the sales of a given entry is more of a reflection of how the previous game was received, than the quality of the the particular entry itself. I bet that if they did the next game in the same style, it would sell much better.

I always think that when it comes to big series, the sales of a given entry is more of a reflection of how the previous game was received, than the quality of the the particular entry itself. I bet that if they did the next game in the same style, it would sell much better.

Yet RE5 and RE6 rereleases keep selling well.

Another thing, RE7 broke even in the first few days after release (unlike RE6) and a significant part of the development cost must have been moneyhatted by Sony for the timed PS VR exclusivity, pushing development costs down even further.

ksamedi

They should just port re7 to Switch and get another million from there. They might as well port 5 and 6 too.

I liked re7 a lot, but they probably went overboard with the monster designs. It was very much horror focused and lots of slimey monsters. They should return to zombies and find a good middle ground for the series. 4 was perfect in that sense.

I like how people seem to forget this all the time...
Development costs, how do they work?

RE6's development was so massively bloated that they had OVER 600 devs working on it, compare that to the usual team sizes at Capcom
RE6's development team was typical "let's list every person involved in this game's development" boasting. When you outsource, the numbers rack up quickly.

Try counting up all the developers involved in RE7.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/resident-evil-vii-biohazard/credits

I think you'll find RE7's team size is roughly the same size, or perhaps slightly larger -- although the Japanese core team for RE7 was slightly smaller than RE6's 150 or so.

Another thing, RE7 broke even in the first few days after release (unlike RE6)
We don't actually know when RE6 broke even, though. We know it was financially successful, but we don't know the break even point, the budget, or anything like that.

Fenderman89

Neo Member
Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.

Yeah, a software house should only think about milking money out of horrible games instead of producing great titles givin' zero f**k about potential sales.
And why on earth RE should please horror fans?!?!? All that bland and soulless action in 5 and 6 was so great it really reminded me about the best chapters in the saga....

What do I have to read so early in the morning -.-'

Yeah, a software house should only think about milking money out of horrible games instead of producing great titles givin' zero f**k about potential sales.
And why on earth RE should please horror fans?!?!? All that bland and soulless action in 5 and 6 was so great it really reminded me about the best chapters in the saga....

Bland and soulless action? Do you mean you hate action games in general, or do you actually mean to say that the action in those games is bland and soulless? Because the action is ANYTHING but bland and soulless, really.

Jeez, the early-RE-only crowd.

I don't get why people think that an action mainline RE game won't be good just because of how RE 6 turned out. In fact, both RE 5 and RE 7 got similar MC and User's scores.

Oregano

Capcom isn't in a good enough financial shape to be taking those hits though. They need some money makers or they won't be able to make anything.

Neff

Please don't let survival horror disappear again. If the mainline RE's are going back to action then they need to let the RE7 team do a series of spin-offs or a new IP.

Capcom isn't going to let that team make anything else besides big budget numbered RE instalments for the foreseeable future.

There are people in Capcom who are actually passionate about making unique, atmospheric horror games, they are the developers and the artists, they don't care how much money the game will make just so the higher up selfish fucks can celebrate the profit it generated.

That's a nice little story.

I don't get why people think that an action mainline RE game won't be good just because of how RE 6 turned out. In fact, both RE 5 and RE 7 got similar MC and User's scores.

Don't get me wrong, I love RE6, I really do. It's the best over the top B movie action game I have ever played, the whole game is a THRILL not matter solo or co-op.
You can tell the team put a lot of effort into it as well.

What I hate is that it doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game, yes, I'll admit Resident Evil series has always been action packed, even in RE1,2,3.

However, it was never was never linear and extremly fast paced like RE6, even RE5 had a more open and connected level design. The gameplay of RE6 is great, but the level design is almost non-existence. It's just too...on rail.

I also hate those who act like ''RE7 is a mistake, Capcom need to go back to RE6.''

Toxi

Banned
However, it was never was never linear and extremly fast paced like RE6, even RE5 has a more open and connected level design. The gameplay of RE6 is great, but the level design is almost non-existence.
Who needs level design when you can suplex zombies? Just throw a bunch of waist-high shit in a corridor and people will call it the best action game of all time. You don't even need to make good boss fights or well-designed co-op encounters, as long as there's a mercenaries mode where people can suplex zombies to their heart's content, you're in the clear.

Also, make the guns feel like glorified super soakers. People were enjoying the shooting too much in Resident Evil 4 and 5.

Don't get me wrong, I love RE6, I really do. It's the best over the top B movie action game I have ever played, the whole game is a THRILL not matter solo or co-op.
You can tell the team put a lot of effort into the detail as well.

What I hate is that it doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game, yes, I'll admit Resident Evil series has always been action packed, even in RE1,2,3.

However, it was never was never linear and extremly fast paced like RE6, even RE5 has a more open and connected level design. The gameplay of RE6 is great, but the level design is almost non-existence.

I also hate those who act like ''RE7 is a mistake, Capcom need to go back to RE6.''

I don't like RE 6 very much, but I think the characters made it feel like a RE imo. Re 7 felt like a RE even without any previous characters which is great, since the team really showed what really makes a good Resident Evil.

But I don't know, we really shouldn't judge Capcom's output of RE action games just because of 6, I'm pretty sure that at this point they know what went wrong with it for the fans.

I think RE7's sales are lower due to an onslaught of meciocracy that crippled mainstream faith in the franchise. I just think Capcom have been out of the limelight for so long that the public have just kind of forgotten about them and their games.

Nev

Banned
Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.

Yeah Capcom how dare you pleasing horror fans who started playing Resident Evil because it was an horror game.

Holy fuck what am I even reading? I guess all hope it's lost, go full garbage action game with 360 air backflips and destroying rocks with bare fists.

Anyways, 3,7 million without even a price drop or proper Steam sale is "a failure". Quit crying and spinning.

Yeah Capcom how dare you pleasing horror fans who started playing Resident Evil because it was an horror game.

Holy fuck what am I even reading? I guess all hope it's lost, go full garbage action game with 360 air backflips and destroying rocks with bare fists.

Anyways, 3,7 million without even a price drop or proper Steam sale is "a failure". Quit crying and spinning.

Most places are selling RE 7 for between $30 and $40 and they just had a 50% discount on steam last month.

RE 7 isn't a failure, but it's clearly not selling what Capcom thought it would.

Well, at the very least I got one last great Resident Evil in 7 if they decide to go back to style of 6. I was so done with the franchise after playing it.

REmake 2 is still a wild card doe.

xviper

this is fucking awful news, now because of this, we will get Resident evil 8: Gears of war

Resident evil 7 was a MASTERPIECE, i haven't played a game like this since the ps2 era, it's so amazing and it's truly a Resident evil game

the real RE fans are gone, now the "fans" of the RE series are people who love Resident evil 6 and umbrella corps

whoever consider himself a fan of Resident evil and didn't buy the underrated masterpiece Resident evil 7, shame on you, it's your fault the series will die again

the real RE fans are gone, now the "fans" of the RE series are people who love Resident evil 6 and umbrella corps
Almost nobody loves Umbrella Corps. It literally had to be given away for people to play it on PC. RE6, on the other hand, is consistently the most popular RE in terms of player numbers. RE3, RE5, RE7 can't touch it. And REMAKE and RE0 may as well just go home.

RE6 isn't as popular as Dragon's Dogma, though. That game regularly reaches player peaks of 2k, while RE6 is generally 700-1,200 territory.

Top Bottom