• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG Developer BlueHole bans a person for allegedly "stream sniping"

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
This is the most bizarre thing I ever seen someone get ban for in a multiplayer game. You may ask, "What's stream sniping?" When you play a multiplayer game against a streamer and you watch his stream on another monitor to get his location then kill him
or basically getting any information about the enemy by watching their streams. The issue I have is how do you prove someone is doing it. They're setting a deadly precedent because there is simply no proof . The ban is for 7 days but damn that's still 7 days with no proof. Bluehole is really doing a bad job with their PR after all of this success to the game

The thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGR...partner_banned_for_7_days_for_stream_sniping/

TL;DR Friend unknowingly kills shroud and get a 7-day ban for the "stream snipe."

As the title says my friend (IGN Lotoe) is banned now for allegedly stream sniping shroud. Before, a duo was tossing grenades into the room they were in and ended up killing summit. The dude was saying he loved their stream and whatnot. 2 minutes later my friend encounters shroud and kills him. So they assume Lotoe was stream sniping and his viewers jump straight to reporting him. Really unfair to my friend as he was banned for killing a popular streamer. We didn't even know he was in the game until we noticed the names in the killfeed and thought it was pretty cool, but this is just unacceptable.

Clip(Warning: Vulgar language) https://clips.twitch.tv/RoundRoughZebraOneHand
Death: https://gyazo.com/72509d2d67d892e112ebfb6fc760c40e
Edit 1: Additional Proof
Ban Screenshot: https://gyazo.com/d3914adda6a463526c58b2edf46b87ab
Lotoe PMing Discord Mod: https://gyazo.com/f0bd8468318276c72c1a6ae61a5de4ed
Shroud's death: https://gyazo.com/72509d2d67d892e112ebfb6fc760c40e

SteveO409

Stream sniping..? I'm old :(

You remember when you were 12 years old and played with siblings/friends on split screen multiplayer. The urge to screenlook was real. It's like the modern day version of that

Man, I need to hurry up and get popular on the Internet so I can be protected from stream sniping, too.

This sounds like a load of BS.

L.O.R.D

i still don't know what is Stream sniping,even after reading the OP,i still don't understand it.

any video for it?

It's like screenpeeking except instead of doing it to buddies in the same room as you as part of a kind of unavoidable process, you actively seek out a stranger's stream to gain a competitive advantage and also make their life kinda worse.

I'm okay with this tbh.

ElfArmy177

It's like screen peeking... Man I wish I could have banned my little brother for doing that in halo. The more I think about it the more I agree with it being a bannable thing

Nabs

The PUBG mod team/community team has had a trash couple of weeks in the PR department.

It's like screenpeeking except instead of doing it to buddies in the same room as you as part of a kind of inavoidable process, you actively seek out a stranger's stream to gain a competitive advantage and also make their life kinda worse.

I'm okay with this tbh.

But there's no proof he did that.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This is the first "drama" about pubg in the last few days that I can join in and think is horrible, you can't just go around and ban people without evidence and absolutely not for such a dumb fucking thing as "stream sniping" for 7 days.

That's fucking ridiculous. Even if someone was stream sniping it's just something you have to deal with, because there is no way at all to know if someone is really doing it, unless they themeselves are streaming the stream sniping or outright saying it. Get your shit together Bluehole. Can't just ban people like.

It's like screen peeking... Man I wish I could have banned my little brother for doing that in halo. The more I think about it the more I agree with it being a bannable thing
Except they are banning with no proof.

SteveO409

It's like screenpeeking except instead of doing it to buddies in the same room as you as part of a kind of unavoidable process, you actively seek out a stranger's stream to gain a competitive advantage and also make their life kinda worse.

I'm okay with this tbh.

As I said, how do you have proof that he was stream sniping. Did bluehole ask Twitch for the IP of the address and had a hidden camera in that stream sniper's room. It's such a silly ban

i still don't know what is Stream sniping,even after reading the OP,i still don't understand it.

any video for it?

Basically the equivalent of looking at your friends screen during a split screen session to see where he is, except you are watching a live stream of someone else's game to do the same thing.

Isn't this a problem of the streamer?

If he streams without delay, well yeah there's a chance someone watches him and takes advantage of that.

Maybe the game tracks pathways and he basically gunned it no hesitation at some point like over a distance that looked suspicious. Like in game telemetry data.

wetalo

... Don't livestream a live multi-player game then if this is a concern?

Also, seriously, there's no way someone can tell they were in the same game as him. There's thousands of PUBG games at any time.

I'm okay with this tbh.
If it effects there life they shouldn't be streaming. Plus you can't prove it.

Took me a while to figure out IGN meant in-game name and not.. IGN.
You'll get banned too in H1Z1 for stream sniping. Nothing new here.

Like just killing a streamer is enough to get you banned for stream sniping? There's no proof this guy was watching the stream (and he's saying he wasn't).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That scrub never played goldeneye i guess.
What a shit show.

Also watching other people play games 🤣🤣

The hell... like how can you just ban someone without actual proof? There are what 5 million people who own the game on PC right? How would you know who you are killing and if they are streaming? This would make me want to grief said streamers even more, ban be damned.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If I had a dollar for every "innocent friend" that got banned for something they shouldn't have according to an internet stranger, I'd be rich.

Raysoul

So I can stream games and call foul everytime I am killed because the enemy might have been watching my stream?

Sony

Nintendo
Reading the OP might help.

Valtýr;244739679 said:
it's literally defined at the very start of the OP...

You remember when you were 12 years old and played with siblings/friends on split screen multiplayer. The urge to screenlook was real. It's like the modern day version of that

Why would you assume I didn't read the OP? My surprise was aimed to its existence, not it's definition.

Azzurri

Lol, This is huge with Hearthstone. I think it might be a little much, but it would piss me off to lose because someone can just see what I'm doing and where I am.

Nabs

I mean, how do you even prevent that from happening anyway? Lol

You can delay your broadcast by a few minutes. You can also hide your screen as you ready up and press play, give them less of a chance to hop on your server.

L.O.R.D

Basically the equivalent of looking at your friends screen during a split screen session to see where he is, except you are watching a live stream of someone else's game to do the same thing.

wow,this is really very old method of cheating.
it's also stupid,why even doing it live stream?

masterkajo

OK that is just... Well... Maybe I am getting old. But if he doesn't want people to see where he is, maybe don't stream it all over the internet? This is ridiculous.

Stealth50

I don't see how it could be a bannable offense even he did stream snipe. It's not as if anyone is forcing anyone to broadcast their gaming sessions for everyone to see.

Maybe the streamer should add a delay to their stream.

Najaf

That's fucking ridiculous. Even if someone was stream sniping it's just something you have to deal with, because there is no way at all to know if someone is really doing it, unless they themeselves are streaming the stream sniping or outright saying it. Get your shit together Bluehole. Can't just ban people like.

Except they are banning with no proof.

In Arma 3 battle Royale, they (player unknown and crew) reviewed people's route's when accused of stream sniping. It actually is very obvious when looking at someone's route if this was the case. It's not clear for early kills after the jump.

dude stream sniping is very obvious, see it all the time when watching the big streamers. Glad that scum got banned. lol I was watching the stream when this happened and it was so obvious

sensi97

Like just killing a streamer is enough to get you banned for stream sniping? There's no proof this guy was watching the stream (and he's saying he wasn't).
Yes there's the problem of the proof but I'm not talking about that here.
I'm simply pointing out that "stream sniping" being a bannable offense isn't something new.

Look at some of the first replies:

more like banhole

these devs are triggerhappy af when it comes to banning people

almost worse than GAF tbh

How is this bananable? Ridiculous

People are surprised. That's why I'm saying to them "this isn't something new".

To add more, look what Daybreak devs (H1Z1, KOTK) say about stream sniping in one of their update:

We have a lot of streamers who enjoy broadcasting their matches on Twitch and other sites. This has unfortunately led to stream sniping becoming a pretty popular activity. For full clarity, stream sniping is the term we generally use, but is a two way street. Stream sniping includes using a broadcaster's stream to know their location, as well as trying to aid a broadcaster by teaming with them or providing them with loot. I see some streamers really bothered by stream sniping, while others tend to make an event out of it as opposed to trying to fight against it. Our official stance is that stream sniping is not allowed because it changes the integrity of the match. We don't want small groups playing differently than everyone else and are not competing for the win. Under the guideline that each match is competitive, even, and fair for all, stream sniping goes against that. We have an updated match making system that will make it much more difficult to get into the same game as the person you are viewing, but most stream sniping will be detected through reporting and monitoring. Similar to the other rules, if you are caught, action could be taken against your account.
https://www.h1z1.com/king-of-the-kill/news/h1z1-producers-letter-august5

Top Bottom