• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG Developer BlueHole bans a person for allegedly "stream sniping"

Floody

Gotta protect them streamers, no way they'd just get out played.

Seems like a ridiculous thing to ban someone for and easily exploitable, what's stopping fans from just blindly reporting anyone accused of doing it to their favourite streamer?

duckroll

If you livetweet your troop movements during a war to raise morale and national support, is it a war crime for the other side to ambush those troops or use an airstrike? Asking for a friend.

Robin64

It's like playing a game of Poker and holding your cards up for everyone to see, but if your opponents look they get removed from the game for 'cheating'.

King_Moc

Banned
how the fuck do you even find out that you're in the game session of a streamer? do you see names anywhere? do people know the names of streamers?

You can see user names in the lobby before a match, but it's extremely unlikely you'd pick that one person out. And it would make no sense at all to make a beeline for that one person in game. None of this adds up at all. Sounds like the streamer and devs being dicks tbh.

Awesome on Bluehole maintaining fair competitive balance is the life blood of multiplayer games and Bluehole gets how important that is.
How is it fair when you can't proof that someone is doing it though? If they are just going by reports, then this is very easy open to abuse from streams and their audience to get people banned.

Springy

Kind of did it to themselves by broadcasting their position over the Internet.

That's besides the very relevant 'banned without any proof' objections.

Shin

Banned
i still don't know what is Stream sniping,even after reading the OP,i still don't understand it.

any video for it?

Didn't read all that but that sounds like the person was looking at someone else's stream to determine where that person was and kept ganking them.

Kinyou

Considering how heavily the game's popularity relies on streamers i get that they want to protect them from stuff like this, but really not sure how it's meant to be proven.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't play the game but I've read a lot about the admin who banned him, seems very mentally unstable and is always causing drama. I really wouldn't want to play a game where I could get banned for killing a streamer.

luulubuu

It's simple: the person doing the screen snip had an advantage over the rest of the players and tracked down a particular player.

Used that advantage deliberately.

I don't think it's fair either the devs so a ban is the more fit situation, then again I'm very draconian about this kind of stuff so my take is probably too over the top.

Pathetic, if you're pubically streaming your game you shouldn't expect someone not to use that against you. I mean, you can't even proove that someone watched your stream to find your location in the first place.

Not surprised tho, most streamers are babies and devs always suck up to them.

Blaming the victim of this. Woah.

I have absolutely no problem with stream sniping (this is the first time I've heard the expression as well).

If you don't want people to know your position, don't bloody broadcast it live to the whole world you fool.

SoundLad

That ban is ridiculous.

Twitch streams by default seem to have a 8-15 second delay anyway. If you're streaming you should acknowledge and accept that people are going to be watching your stream and see what you're doing in-game lol

If the streamer didn't want people to stream snipe then

1) Don't stream your gameplay duh
2) Add a longer delay to your stream in your broadcast settings

cm osi

i think it's fair. you're playing a somewhat strategic game, and by streaming you're publicly giving away your position. that's on you

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm not sure whether I'm okay or not with this.

Stream sniping..? I'm old :(

Remember when your pals would look at your part of the screen to figure out where you were in Goldeneye 64/Halo split screen? It's exactly like that but you watch someone's stream.

Edit: Oh, read a couple more replies and realised that wasn't your really your question lol :p

Hasney

It's simple: the person doing the screen snip had an advantage over the rest of the players and tracked down a particular player.

But look at the evidence in the linked post. Where doe it even seem like stream sniping certainly happened?

I don't think it's fair either the devs so a ban is the more fit situation, then again I'm very draconian about this kind of stuff so my take is probably too over the top.

He isn't a victim.....

Zomba13

I guess I'm a bit confused here. I don't see how the clip is stream sniping? I mean, ok, the guy thinks that, whatever, but even then they are shouting at an Apex or something, not Lotoe and even then he just killed that guy and it isn't unreasonable that someone else saw/heard the fight and picked off the winner.

I mean, if the guy constantly got killed by Lotoe match after match then yeah, that is suspicious as fuck and the guy probably is stream sniping but the event in the OP just seems like mr big boots streamer got unlucky.

Montresor

If you livetweet your troop movements during a war to raise morale and national support, is it a war crime for the other side to ambush those troops or use an airstrike? Asking for a friend.

This is all that needs to be said.

If you're broadcasting your position in PUBG through your Twitch/Mixer stream - you shouldn't be surprised if one or more players in the the match will know where you are. Don't stream if you don't want your whereabouts revealed.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

The person who got banned for no reason is the victim.

The streamer was firing out in the open without a silencer, ofc the other guy knew where he was lol. Streamers and their fucking egos...

Vidal

Local multiplayer wins yet again

18j2m3yd6y1wrjpg.jpg

Robin64

Well I'm not buying it. Not gonna get banned cos I killed a streamer.

Stupid rule.

Basically this. I had been talking to pals at work about this during this week, with a view to look into getting it at the weekend, but this has put me off.

So streamers are good for PR, sure, but in this case it was bad PR.

Ryuuga

Banned

You'll get a court-martial for even asking. Delete this post.

RulkezX

Victim !!

Please tell me you just forgot to /s

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
i still don't know what is Stream sniping,even after reading the OP,i still don't understand it.

any video for it?
It's like playing Goldeneye and looking at your opponent's split-screen, except they can't see yours

You remember when you were 12 years old and played with siblings/friends on split screen multiplayer. The urge to screenlook was real. It's like the modern day version of that

It's part of the game, how is that banworthy?

If you were in a real firefight, broadcasting your position to the enemy would be equally as dumb.

vewn

This is ridiculous.
After looking at the VOD there's like 6-7 players in the area (nothing unlikely in this game) and there's 0 evidence the guy who got banned is stream sniping.
Even the other dude who killed summit and called him out during proximity chat isn't necessarily a sniper (he's got 2+ mil followers on twitch ffs) - and he wasn't banned btw.

Also, the concept of banning someone for this "offence" is laughable, set a stream delay and suck it up.

shenanigans start at 5:19
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/162406490

This is so stupid. Even if they could somehow prove they were stream sniping it's on the streamer for broadcasting it to begin with. I get the ideal of wanting to keep a sanctity to the experience but this is pushing it and is a bad precedent to set.

There is no way you can join a streamer's game on purpose and it's extremely unlikely for you to find out that you're in a streamer's game if you happened to get into one - there is no player list that you can open in-game.

This is a dumb ban and with all these restrictions there is no way you can break this rule consistently.

Even if somebody declares they're stream sniping, and provides video evidence that they're doing it, it shouldn't be bannable.

If you choose to stream, then you're the one giving your location to others. That's on you.

Note that this entire thing is fairly one-sided. I imagine if they were stream sniping they wouldn't be claiming they were.

They take the risk. They don't have to stream, nobody is putting a gun to their head.

They don't have to stream snipe. Nobody is putting a gun to their head.

Is this game real life? Are the police going to show up because I killed a bunch of people? The whole "but in real life" argument has to be the silliest one out of both sides.

First of all, "Stream Sniping" used to mean something else just a few years ago in SC2/LoL scene.

When someone was stream sniping, they waited for opportunities to get into the streamer's game by going into the matchmaking at the same time. The name comes from the idea that you wait for the right moment to push the queue button.

It is called GHOSTING when you watch the steamer at the same time getting the extra information.

Secondly, Twitch is such a powerful marketing platform that developers aren't going to tell their influencers (free or paid) to deal with it, they will remove people who get into the way of streamers.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
dude stream sniping is very obvious, see it all the time when watching the big streamers. Glad that scum got banned. lol I was watching the stream when this happened and it was so obvious

How exactly is it obvious? I feel like, with the way I play shooters, I could be considered stream-sniping. Except they aren't streaming. I just have a lot of experience with online shooters.

RS4-

What a stupid fucking ban. I get it if he went straight for the guy early in the game based on the banned players movements.

But there's no case if the player came across the streamer and his Twitch chumps in a progressive manner due to the zones and such.

Shit rule too. If he doesn't want to get sniped, don't stream.

There is no way you can join a streamer's game on purpose and it's extremely unlikely for you to find out that you're in a streamer's game if you happened to get into one - there is no player list that you can open in-game.

This is a dumb ban and with all these restrictions there is no way you can break this rule consistently.

exactly. one massive coincidence that the person even knew the streamers where in game because they saw a name they recognized in the kill feed and he was duoing with another streamer.

how many times will that happen ever again?

Top Bottom