• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG Developer BlueHole bans a person for allegedly "stream sniping"

Seems pretty unfair considering a popular streamer has an army of monsters that would spam report at any slight. And the amount of people streaming PUBG at any one time legit being able to streamsnipe would be impressive in itself.

Robin64

Shouldn't be bannable at all.

If you are publically showing your position, that's on you. If someone else uses that, tough shit.

Ryuuga

Banned
dude stream sniping is very obvious, see it all the time when watching the big streamers. Glad that scum got banned. lol I was watching the stream when this happened and it was so obvious

Yeah bro super obvious, so obvious your explanation as to why was clear as well.

Back when I played Dota 2 and queued into people named after their Twitch account, I turned on my iPad, booted up their stream and STREAM SNIPED.

In Arma 3 battle Royale, they (player unknown and crew) reviewed people's route's when accused of stream sniping. It actually is very obvious when looking at someone's route if this was the case. It's not clear for early kills after the jump.
I don't think that's proof either. Being very "obvious" isn't a valid reason.

erragal

It's cheating. There's a lot of people here who are ok with cheating. Don't want banned, don't cheat.

In fact it's even dumber because there's no way for anyone to prove it unless you actually admit it. So who plays a board game, cheats, and then brags about it to everyone you're playing with right after? Why would you want to play a competitive game with that guy? What a scummy garbage game player.

luulubuu

On topic.

I see this as a very odd situation where the dev should explain and make a campaign about the risks and limitations for streamers and players.

Even more after have, you know, the possibility of linking your twitch account to your character which seems like just a tool. To track you and your activity more easily in exchange for ugly goodies.

Banzai

I haven't watched the videos, but did the stream himself do anything? It sounds more like your typical hivemind twitch chat reporting him.

Grinchy

Banned
When you combine all the streamers playing their game, they have like 100K people watching it at many times. That's some massive free advertising. I'm not saying it's right, but I can see why they want to protect the streamer.

Lucifon

Banning stream snipers is cool. Banning people for stream sniping who weren't doing so is definitely not cool. They need to be able to prove this properly.

Greddleok

The easiest way to explain stream sniping to extremely slow, old people, is that it's the equivalent of screen watching in Golden Eye, or other split-screen competitive games.

luulubuu

When you combine all the streamers playing their game, they have like 100K people watching it at many times. That's some massive free advertising. I'm not saying it's right, but I can see why they want to protect the streamer.

If you also put your own rules and impose them you are not only getting free marketing but also players will take the game more seriously and it won't become a hell hole full of roundabouts to take advantage of other players.

That means the game can grow and get more players who has the same chances than veterans so it will keep growing.

It's a win win situation for the dev team.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Boy, back in the day I would have loved to ban some friends and heck probably myself for screen-peaking.

I think stream-peaking on sniping, is a little bit too much effort to do for a video game. I’m not understanding what folks are gaining by doing this. Do folks actually take playing games this serious?

It seems a little bit too much for adults to do and quite pathetic to embarrass yourself by having to do this. As a kid with screen-peaking I can understand, as you are right there on the same screen, but this is deliberate.

However, banning someone with no evidence is worse than the supposed offense. Just my opinion, of course.

Shouldn't be bannable at all.

If you are publically showing your position, that's on you. If someone else uses that, tough shit.

I pretty much agree with this, plus matchmaking in PUBG is random isn't it? So wouldn't that make the possibility of being in a session with a streamer impossible to influence?

I have to say though the whole thought of stream-sniping in itself seems really petty on the one who's doing it.

Paying for a game, then getting banned because some other dude wants to show his gameplay to the world. There is zero proof possible to support the ban. Ridiculous.

The easiest way to explain stream sniping to extremely slow, old people, is that it's the equivalent of screen watching in Golden Eye, or other split-screen competitive games.

Just about to post a joke along these lines. Not really sure why so many find it so hard to understand.

Sulik2

Awesome on Bluehole maintaining fair competitive balance is the life blood of multiplayer games and Bluehole gets how important that is.

luulubuu

Boy, back in the day I would have loved to ban some friends and heck probably myself for screen-peaking.

I think stream-peaking on sniping, is a little bit too much effort to do for a video game. I’m not understanding what folks are gaining by doing this. Do folks actually take playing games this serious?

It seems a little bit too much for adults to do and quite pathetic to embarrass yourself by having to do this. As a kid with screen-peaking I can understand, as you are right there on the same screen, but this is deliberate.

However, banning someone with no evidence is worse than the supposed offense. Just my opinion, of course.

I can understand it, I do not support it but if you are good and engaging while streaming and get some good moments and kills, it's more likely to grow on the platform and end up getting money out of it. Even if you don't stream you get BP in base of your performance to buy crates that can contain rare clothing items that you can sell for real money.

At the end of the day is all about sweet cash.

sensi97

I pretty much agree with this, plus matchmaking in PUBG is random isn't it? So wouldn't that make the possibility of being in a session with a streamer impossible to influence?
They try to join the game / server at the same time as the streamer. It works.

King_Moc

Banned
Err...Wouldn't this be the fault of the person that's chosen to upload a live feed of what they're doing to the Internet?

Drencrom

Pathetic, if you're pubically streaming your game you shouldn't expect someone not to use that against you. I mean, you can't even proove that someone watched your stream to find your location in the first place.

Not surprised tho, most streamers are babies and devs always suck up to them.

Goldeneye screen peaking is different because every player had the same opportunity to see the location of the other.

The developer has an interest in protecting streamers, but enforcing this is dangerous unless they are only going after clear cases. I do think the location tracking of players could be a very strong indicator in some cases though.

Fliesen

Well, the issue here is that H1Z1 and PUBG are very 'slow' games that depend a lot on hiding your position, and there's no respawning. So not even a 30 second delay would really help you in that case - as opposed to, say, mobas, faster paced FPS or even RTS.

In other games, the information you're getting from stream sniping is far less valuable and the consequences far less dramatic.
In 30 seconds you'll be half way across the map to gank someone in dota, same goes for counterstrike or Overwatch. - not so much in PUBG, where, unless you were sprinting towards the safe zone, you'll likely be rather stationary within that delay.

I don't think you should be banned without proof, though. And i don't think they can really prove whether or not you did watch a certain streamer at a certain time.
But i also don't agree with the sentiment of "if you're streaming your screen, tough luck" - while it's definitely part of the game, i do feel that someone visibly stream sniping (like messaging you in twitch chat, boasting about them being able to track you) is definitely banworthy. - it's harassment, and also detrimental to the streamers broadcast.
Still, innocent until proven guilty.

Hasney

Awesome on Bluehole maintaining fair competitive balance is the life blood of multiplayer games and Bluehole gets how important that is.

Not with this they don't. They get how pandering to streamers will sell more copies and that's about it.

how the fuck do you even find out that you're in the game session of a streamer? do you see names anywhere? do people know the names of streamers?

edit: ok i read it, seems like a massive coincidence.

Top Bottom