• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG Developer BlueHole bans a person for allegedly "stream sniping"

Strakt

1. I never said that no popular streamer was never banned.

2. I do play the game. Verifiable evidence in the OT.

3. I do watch streams I just don't revere them.

You said streamers get preference over normal players. Completely not true since dr.disrespect got banned.. therefore your idea of "favoritism" goes out the window. You don't need to "revere" a stream to know that stream sniping is against the rules. If you played the game, then you'd know that knowing someones exact position in a battle royale game is pretty much the same thing as turning on wall hacks in counter strike. While other companies such as Blizzard don't have this in their rules.. PUBG does. The kid stream sniped and he deserves the ban. Either way, im done responding to you. While I provide facts, you provide nothing but these false ideas you come up with in your head.

I don't understand this point. Are you trying to imply that it should be easier to convict/punish people on alleged crimes/rule-breaking? Because there are very good reasons why the accusatory side should be held to a much higher standard and level of scrutiny, and why they need to be so stringent.

So I agree with the above poster, what's wrong with that in this case?

Not easier but do you ever grow tired of people getting off on some sort of technicality when we all know they are guilty?

It's a bit different here, it's their game and they can moderate it how they want and if we don't like it then we are free to play another game and not support them. One of the reasons I don't play much competitive online gaming is because of how some want to bend the rules or do anything they can just to win. If people just played the damn games as it was meant to be played most of these problems wouldn't even be given attention. To think that someone would be willing to play around with their connection to get a host advantage is one example.

Kalentan

You said streamers get preference over normal players. Completely not true since dr.disrespect got banned.. therefore your idea of "favoritism" goes out the window. You don't need to "revere" a stream to know that stream sniping is against the rules. If you played the game, then you'd know that knowing someones exact position in a battle royale game is pretty much the same thing as turning on wall hacks in counter strike. While other companies such as Blizzard don't have this in their rules.. PUBG does. The kid stream sniped and he deserves the ban. Either way, im done responding to you. While I provide facts, you provide nothing but these false ideas you come up with in your head.

The evidence they have stated is circumstantial and they're unwilling (and not obligated to) to share the full evidence. This isn't a clear and shut case.

Also why are you acting like a dick? Seriously.
Your acting like we've had this conversation for a while when we haven't.

Seems fairly open and shut. No reason to keep disconnecting unless you're looking for the streamer.

The evidence they have stated is circumstantial and they're unwilling (and not obligated to) to share the full evidence. This isn't a clear and shut case.

Also why are you acting like a dick? Seriously.
Your acting like we've had this conversation for a while when we haven't.

You're just posting conspiracy theories over and over again. It's a bit unhinged.

Trace

Banned

This isn't a legal case. It's their game and they're certain there was enough evidence to ban. Simple as that.

Kalentan

I don't understand. I've read all your posts here. I'm not mixing you up with someone else, which I think is what you're saying?

All I'm saying is 2 things.

1. That BlueHole treats Streamers a bit better. They're willing to put the ban hammer down on them when needed but when more often than not they will listen to streamers first over any random joe.

2. Maybe this ban isn't so shut and clean. Maybe they make a mistake. Shit happens and PUs own behavior these past week or so makes me less willing to simply believe him outright.

Tovarisc

But they banned one of the biggest streamers on twitch for 3 days just last week for team killing.. there goes your theory right out the window :)

3 days for 100% provable and intentional griefing and breaking TOS.

7 days for alleged stream sniping.

Balances out nicely.

Strakt

3 days for 100% provable and intentional griefing and breaking TOS.

7 days for alleged stream sniping.

Balances out nicely.

Cheating is worse than team killing. So yea, it does balance out pretty good. You can consider it "alleged" but the devs have more proof than your word. I'm pretty sure playerunknown (someone who has been around for a long time in this scene) has a better understanding of this than you do.

Tovarisc

One is being a dick.
The other is straight up cheating.

I wonder how many players Dr. has griefed since. It's part of his casting persona after all, but that is besides the point.

I just find it funny how far more common "crime" that influences far more larger part of community carries lighter sentence than "crime" they can't prove.

Cheating is worse than team killing. So yea, it does balance out pretty good. You can consider it "alleged" but the devs have more proof than your word. I'm pretty sure playerunknown (someone who has been around for a long time in this scene) has a better understanding of this than you do.

PU says they can't prove stream snipe leaving it as alleged TOS breaking and judgement was delivered by drawing conclusions. Was there enough data points to make 100% accurate conclusion? Maybe. We don't know that. They still admitted they can't prove what they banned player for.

How you can even debate that when PU himself said as much?

Strakt

I wonder how many players Dr. has griefed since. It's part of his casting persona after all, but that is besides the point.

I just find it funny how far more common "crime" that influences far more larger part of community carries lighter sentence than "crime" they can't prove.

PU says they can't prove stream snipe leaving it as alleged TOS breaking and judgement was delivered by drawing conclusions. Was there enough data points to make 100% accurate conclusion? Maybe. We don't know that. They still admitted they can't prove what they banned player for.

Because him leaving multiple lobbies but staying in the same one as the streamer is proof enough. While there is no proof he had the stream running on the second monitor, there was no reason for him to lobby hop that many times. There is no need for a debate here; he cheated, got 7 days ban.. time to move on.

~Cross~

Holy shit, because the circumstantial evidence leads little doubt that he was doing it. When you convict someone, you dont do it "Beyond all doubt" you do it "Beyond all REASONABLE Doubt"

When all the circumstantial evidence points at one consistent possibility then it becomes stronger than one single fact.

Seriously, you find someone with a pistol in hand, the forensics point to the bullet being fired from that weapon, the guy is covered in the gunpowder residue from that weapon and is constantly changing his alibi. Do you have a video of the guy firing at the victim? No. Does that mean that the guy is not guilty?

Not easier but do you ever grow tired of people getting off on some sort of technicality when we all know they are guilty?

It's a bit different here, it's their game and they can moderate it how they want and if we don't like it then we are free to play another game and not support them. One of the reasons I don't play much competitive online gaming is because of how some want to bend the rules or do anything they can just to win. If people just played the damn games as it was meant to be played most of these problems wouldn't even be given attention. To think that someone would be willing to play around with their connection to get a host advantage is one example.

Given that I live in the United States, which has the largest prison population in the world, I don't really get "tired" of it. It's unfortunate when it happens, but it's the reality of what is necessary. There are a lot more issues with the police and judicial systems than letting alleged criminals off on technicalities. The state is acting from a position of power invested in them from the population. The disparity in power between a single citizen and the authorities can only equalized by self-imposed restrictions on the part of the latter.

Not having those restrictions, not going by the book and crossing their t's and dotting their i's, brings this power disparity to the forefront, and allows for widespread abuses by the state, which holds the monopoly on force and prosecution. The technicalities are there for the protection of the populace, not for the sake of bureaucracy.

But I digress. It is indeed a different matter here, and the developers have every right to define and regulate what they consider unfair in a game they made. But I don't think it's a bad idea to include options to hinder stream sniping rather than outright ban it as the other poster proffered. This isn't even unprecedented, as it's the position of other developers. But it's their game, and it'll only really bother me as a potential customer (on Xbox), if reports of unfair banning become apparent/common.

Grassy

Again, here's an early PUBG player tracking tool in action that would make it super-easy for the dev to see a player tracking another player - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m79U9jfRSHs

They said they can't prove he was watching the streamer's stream, but all evidence they have suggest he was indeed stream-sniping which is what he was banned for. You keep avoiding the question of what exactly is a player doing if they're constantly entering and exiting multiple servers across different regions until they enter the same lobby as a streamer and then decide to stay in that game, if they're not stream-sniping/griefing? There's literally no other reason than to grief or stream-snipe someone, unless you have another explanation?

You're asking for 100% concrete evidence when even "IRL" a lot of way more important, life-changing decisions are made by juries without 100% concrete evidence. I mean this is videogame-shit, it's so unimportant in the grand scheme of things but people are acting like it's a murder charge or something.

Top Bottom