• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Squared Switch first three days' sales > All other platforms LTD

Oregano

Another Switch Indie success story.
Posted on Twitter:
seFlUOo.png

They actually go into a bit of detail about the difference in release timing, amount of reviews and the tail of sales(the Switch version is still selling much faster than the other platforms combined).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Another Switch success stories is here, another thread filled with master mental gymnasts downplaying it is coming.

I feel like this is very often the case with Nintendo consoles. Once they get lots of games to be more on par with the other consoles and there's more games to choose from you never hear these stories anymore I feel like.

I feel like this is very often the case with new consoles. Once they get lots of games to be more on par with the other consoles and there's more games to choose from you never hear these stories anymore I feel like.

FTFY

The only time Nintendo consoles have had a library "on par" quantity-wise with PlayStation and Xbox was during the Wii era.

To be fair they did actually say it didn't perform well at all on the other platforms due to when it was released (March 14th) but still selling 2-5x more per day on Switch than all other platforms combined is quite impressive.

Especially since that's still happening now, when there is actually quite a lot of competition on the Switch.

BiggNife

Another Switch success stories is here, another thread filled with master mental gymnasts downplaying it is coming.

I don't think it's insane or mental gymnastics to say that that the Switch marketplace isn't nearly as crowded as PSN/Steam/XBL, which I definitely think contributes to game succeeding on Switch where they may have not on others.

As storefronts get bigger, it's harder to stand out. It's not that ridiculous.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah well what do you expect on a platform with no other games to play

everytime a thread like this comes I want to use that lovely line I learned here on GAF.

"Switch gamers are STARVED for games!"

but with some many indies selling more on switch than anything else, I think I should just stop with that.

Wamb0wneD

I feel like this is very often the case with Nintendo consoles. Once they get lots of games to be more on par with the other consoles and there's more games to choose from you never hear these stories anymore I feel like.
How can there be multiple of these stories in like 2 weeks when there aren't enough games to choose from? Also lol at singling out Nintendo consoles.

Mmhmm I'm not really sure about that. I don't remember something similar happening when the PS3 was new for instance.

I suspect because even though it was new it still had games like Madden and CoD and third party games like that which diverts a lot of consumer spending that way.

shaneo632

I've developed major AAA fatigue so this is really encouraging me to pick up a Switch soon. I went through the Metacritic list of every Switch game released so far and found like 20 indies I'd like to play.

Ivan 3414

S T A R V E D
T
A
R
V
E
D

Seriously though, it's good to see that the indie circuit is flourishing on Switch, God knows it won't be getting the AAA support of other consoles

I don't think it's insane or mental gymnastics to say that that the Switch marketplace isn't nearly as crowded as PSN/Steam/XBL, which I definitely think contributes to game succeeding on Switch where they may have not on others.

As storefronts get bigger, it's harder to stand out. It's not that ridiculous.

Counterbalanced by the fact the other two have a combined userbase astronomically bigger than the switches

Jmille99

Obligatory: "Do we really need a thread every time an indie sells well on Switch?!"

I dont care. Congrats to the devs. Hope more indies see the success and bring their games to Switch

Jawmuncher

Not a surprise. Large install base doesn't equal more sales.

In the case of this game it definitely got lost in the crowd of the numerous releases on steam as of late.

In all actuality the current store front on switch is actually amazing for smaller indies at the moment. Since unless people are only looking at top sellers, their game is almost guaranteed to be seen with how simple it is.

Compared to XB1 and PS4 where I've had to dig for smaller new releases

Not a surprise. Large install base doesn't equal more sales.

In the case of this game it definitely got lost in the crowd of the numerous releases on steam as of late.

In all actuality the current store front on switch is actually amazing for smaller indies at the moment. Since unless people are only looking at top sellers, their game is almost guaranteed to be seen with how simple it is.

Compared to XB1 and PS4 where I've had to dig for smaller new reward

Yeah. Not gonna lie. I actually think the store front is fine as is. The WiiU one was fucking garbage in comparison. I never enjoyed PSN either.

Mmhmm I'm not really sure about that. I don't remember something similar happening when the PS3 was new for instance.

I'd be shocked if you didn't have a situation where there were more smaller PS3 titles that were relatively high on the charts (not in the top titles NPD lists necessarily, but in the ranges slightly lower down on the list) early on in PS3's life than were charting later in its life.

Congrats but that's pretty normal.

Lower end indie games (no offence) are always going to do better on recently released consoles.

The same happened with the Vita and the WiiU.

Regiruler

Yeah well what do you expect on a platform with no other games to play?

images

I know this is supposed to be sarcasm but less competition is absolutely a big factor in better sales, both directly and the ability to get better promotion from nintendo.

ghibli99

Has curation become an issue at all on what's on Switch indies-wise yet? I haven't bought any of the new releases outside of Sonic Mania, Strikers 1945, and some of the ACA games recently, but there just seems to be a lot released on the platform, many of which I know nothing about.

Yeah well what do you expect on a platform with no other games to play?
LMAO I feel like bots are responsible for these firsts at this point.

Edit: Very interesting about coverage/review quantity. There might just be bigger/more news on competing platforms, but still.

BiggNife

Counterbalanced by the fact the other two have a combined userbase astronomically bigger than the switches

Astronomically bigger userbases don't mean much when you don't have a way to reach that audience. I can tell you that a lot of people on this forum had no idea games like Slime-San, PolyBridge, and Death Squared had already been on Steam for months before being announced/releasing for Switch.

Astronomically bigger userbases don't mean much when you don't have a way to reach that audience. I can tell you that a lot of people on this forum had no idea games like Slime-San, PolyBridge, and Death Squared had already been on Steam for months before being announced/releasing for Switch.

The real boon for indies right now on Switch is that because there aren't a lot of marketing $$$ being thrown at Switch by big publishers, indie content is Nintendo's premium third-party content for the moment and therefore any given indie release is far and away much more visible than a comparable release on PS4 or Xbox One.

This isn't necessarily a matter of "Switch has no games" (Switch is actually hitting a pretty good stride for new game releases), but a matter of "there's not a lot of marketing noise obscuring smaller releases on Switch."

The Switch storefront, barebones as it is, definitely makes it easy for indies to do well. Not only are they featured on the same "coming soon" section as Nintendo's own AAA games, but they show up in order of release on the "new releases" section, with no special treatment given to one game over another. It's pretty refreshing, if a little archaic.

50 million or 100 million doesn't make a difference when you only need your game to sell like 5 figures to be a success. Visibility is more important than install base for indie games.

Not to take away from Switch but the hardware sales aren't really limiting indie success stories.

Top Bottom