• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Squared Switch first three days' sales > All other platforms LTD

jlscool

I cannot praise this game enough. My nieces and nephews were fighting with each other during my son's birthday party and so I started up this game and they all stopped and figured out how to work together (after killing each other many times) and were solving the 4-player puzzles and enjoying it.

ghibli99

It's kind of sad that instead of being happy for these devs being excited that their games are selling at all -- even aside from the fact that on Switch they're performing best -- some folks want to downplay and be dismissive of it. :(

I'm not a starved Switch player (I own all systems), and in fact, I have too *much* to play on the thing. I don't have this game either since co-op gaming isn't a priority for me, but I can still be happy for them. Each of these stories is more fuel to bring more games to Switch, which assuming they are of good quality, is a great thing for the platform.

giphy.gif

tumblr_oql14trlRf1ru66eqo1_500.gif

All the games that are doing more on Switch than other platforms combined are mostly smaller titles with the exception of Wonderboy. To me it says if you are a small dev, Switch will get you a lot more attention. That's good considering a lot of these smaller games are quite good, just over shadowed.

It's not like shovel knight or overcooked is having this massive discrepancy. To me it says it's a visibility issue. Which is not a bad thing. The Switch is probably the best portable indie machine you will get for a while. The pick up and play nature of a lot of indie games makes the Switch more ideal in a lot of cases.

A few years from now we'll see though. Nintendo digital store fronts are generally ass so we will have to keep an eye out.

The Hermit

So, we have 4 sucessfull stories now? Huge list.

Hahahaha

If this is sarcasm, good job

I cannot praise this game enough. My nieces and nephews were fighting with each other during my son's birthday party and so I started up this game and they all stopped and figured out how to work together (after killing each other many times) and were solving the 4-player puzzles and enjoying it.

The trailers were *very* interesting.

Too bad I rarely play my Switch with someone else :( . My gf enjoy playing, but lately we barely have free time together, so we use it for other activities.

The same reason I still haven't bought Overcooked.

Where's the dude asking if we really need a thread for every Switch success story?

Or GhostTrick to tell us this means nothing if we don't know how much the game actually sold and doesn't need discussing.

jariw

I wonder how many people are like me. I now basically get every indie game on switch instead of PC if the switch title is identical (runs 1080p 60fps without missing any features).

I do. And particularly for the local multiplayer games, like Death Squared.

I'm also very excited for the AAA ports to Switch, like playing FIFA as portable and/or console and/or tabletop at 60 fps.

It was the case with steam when the indie revolution hit back in 2010-2013(??), dates vary. Success story after success story. Sadly when the first time big hitters released the sequel to the hit games, they were met with less then stellar sales compared to the firsr game. Have no links at hand but there have been a few gaf threads over the years on this matter and they make for some sad reading.

I mean it's fucking great to hear all these switch success stories, I just hope devs plan for the inevitable situation where indie becomes the new norm, high volume Sales decreaseand these types of stories peter out.

Yeah. It's more of an take advantage will you can. When the norm hits all they can do is continue releasing on as many platforms as they can afford to like they have been doing.

heringer

Context = mental gymnastics lol

Facts are facts, the Switch has a userbase that is eager for new content and there isn't as much releasing on a weekly basis compared to other platforms.

That's not downplaying it so much as reasoning.

I'm sure we shouldn't factor installed base in the context since it doesn't fit your narrative, right?

I'm not sure that anyone is disputing that there's definitely an appeal to playing indies portably. I think we're just saying that if PS4/XB1 had the same number of releases and lack of big releases these stories probably wouldn't happen. For no other reason than the vastly disparate user bases.

That's what I'm saying I'm not sure I buy. As someone who owns all three current gen consoles and a gaming PC I have noticed I have found myself picking up a bunch of indie games I had passed on before on other platforms on the Switch just because I feel like they're a great fit for the system.

Only time will tell if this levels out over time, but I personally think that if the Switch continues to be successful this trend is very likely to continue. Most indies I have played on the Switch tend to focus more on short bursts of gameplay rather than long protracted gameplay sessions, so I can see why those would be more successful on a platform like the Switch.

I'm not sure that anyone is disputing that there's definitely an appeal to playing indies portably. I think we're just saying that if PS4/XB1 had the same number of releases and lack of big releases these stories probably wouldn't happen. For no other reason than the vastly disparate user bases.

I'm not sure this is true, for the same reason that late ports didn't always sell on Wii U (despite Wii U also having no games).

PS4 and Xbox are systems that are marketed and sold mostly on their support for high-fidelity visuals and complex games that take advantage of them. So it's natural that those games get more attention on PS4 and Xbox systems, while games with simpler graphics get more attention on Nintendo systems where simplicity is the selling point.

Jmille99

Switch is the new Vita

It came to my mind the other day that after Danganronpa 3, I might very well be done with my Vita and do those kind of purchases on the Switch after that.

Now if only they had deals as good as PlayStation. That's the only potential holdout at this point...

heringer

I would like to point out that saying "the Switch userbase is STARVING" is actually a good thing. The whole point of this stories is to show that the userbase will buy the games if they are there. This isn't a Wii situation, where the installed base meant little because people weren't buying the games. Put your game on Switch and people WILL buy it. That's the whole point.

I checked the store on Nintendo's NA website the other day and it listed 127 games as available now. There is most certainly a decent amount of competition between Switch games, and even moreso most people have more than one console/platform, so the lack of competition argument really doesn't work so well. However, the visibility argument makes a ton of sense, and I'm curious how much that is due to the Nindie showcases, the layout of the eshop, and the news ticker on the lock screen. If those are all helping indies sell that much more than other platforms, then maybe they may have been designed to do that?

I would like to point out that saying "the Switch userbase is STARVING" is actually a good thing. The whole point of this stories is to show that the userbase will buy the games if they are there. This isn't a Wii situation, where the installed base meant little because people weren't buying the games. Put your game on Switch and people WILL buy it. That's the whole point.

... the Wii had one of the highest attach rates ever, 9 games per console. That's a myth that needs to die.

The Hermit

Why don't we stop with this pointless discussion about how many games the Switch has/hasn't and talk about the qualities/defects of the game instead?

I've seen exactly 2 posts talking about the game, and they were positive. Maybe it's a great game that hadn't enough exposition...

Wiped89

This is great news for Switch.

You often see games take advantage of a new console launch to sell way more games than they would otherwise. Wipeout Pure sold over 1 million at PSP's launch, but its follow up Wipeout Pulse sold almost nothing, several years later.

Pilotwings on 3DS is another good example. That sold over 1 million in the 3DS' first year. Steel Diver sold well too. Neither of those would have sold at all going up against proper competition a couple of years later.

I'm surprised more devs don't realise this and try to get games on new platforms asap, to mop up on thirsty early adopters.

Seems like that new games section on the eshop is filling up pretty well each week.

You're not wrong. It's that the big releases that would generally take away most of the spending and attention aren't filling up.

If Mario was out now instead of near the end of the year I seriously doubt this Squared game would be selling all that well.

VariantX

I remember a similar story with Gunman Clive no? Then the same dev said that in later years it became harder for indies. Not trying to downplay though. Keep the games coming.

I remember.

1. Steam buries like 99% of software, so devs have to do more marketing legwork to stand out.
2. Clive costs money on mobile. That's like a death sentence. That market is ruined for pay to play games by a race to the bottom. Not even Nintendo could escape from the high crime of daring to charge for the full version of Mario Run.

3DS was never lacking in content by the time clive released though. It had several high profile games available from both 1st and 3rd parties by then, but I think the 3DS's digital market might have still been getting over it's sea legs at the time.

You're not wrong. It's that the big releases that would generally take away most of the spending and attention aren't filling up.

If Mario was out now instead of near the end of the year I seriously doubt this Squared game would be selling all that well.
Less AAA stealing from the little guys. Sounds like the Switch is a great platform.

Oregano

Mario might not be out but Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon and Mario + Rabbids all are. It's not like there's been a lack of Nintendo IPs on the platform.

Delio

It's kind of sad that instead of being happy for these devs being excited that their games are selling at all -- even aside from the fact that on Switch they're performing best -- some folks want to downplay and be dismissive of it. :(.

That's prob just a mess of console wars. I'm happy a dev is getting success and they SHOULD talk it up. Why wouldnt they?

It's kind of sad that instead of being happy for these devs being excited that their games are selling at all -- even aside from the fact that on Switch they're performing best -- some folks want to downplay and be dismissive of it. :(

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that some people in here are genuine?
I thought everyone was joking about switch having no games... I'm so confused...

Chessr

Switch sells most = no competition
Switch game sell the least = fans only buys Nintendo games

Thats what i get from browsing gaf and other gaming forums.

Nintendo sure cant win lol

heringer

I checked the store on Nintendo's NA website the other day and it listed 127 games as available now. There is most certainly a decent amount of competition between Switch games, and even moreso most people have more than one console/platform, so the lack of competition argument really doesn't work so well. However, the visibility argument makes a ton of sense, and I'm curious how much that is due to the Nindie showcases, the layout of the eshop, and the news ticker on the lock screen. If those are all helping indies sell that much more than other platforms, then maybe they may have been designed to do that?

... the Wii had one of the highest attach rates ever, 9 games per console. That's a myth that needs to die.

You are right, though for the most part it wasn't the games most people here wanted that were selling. Regardless, my point still stands.

Switch sells most = no competition
Switch game sell the least = fans only buys Nintendo games

Thats what i get from browsing gaf and other gaming forums.

Nintendo sure cant win lol

Unless they're winning. But then, is Nintendo winning, winning, or just Nintendo winning?

jariw

It's not like shovel knight or overcooked is having this massive discrepancy. To me it says it's a visibility issue. Which is not a bad thing. The Switch is probably the best portable indie machine you will get for a while. The pick up and play nature of a lot of indie games makes the Switch more ideal in a lot of cases.

Have we seen any sales data from Shovel Knight or Overcooked on the Switch?

At 04-14-2016, Shovel Knight had sold more on the Wii U than on PS4+XBOne combined, and almost the same as PS4+Vita+XBone combined. And Wii U+3DS had 46% of all the sales. Perhaps many 3DS/Wii U owners moved to Switch without double dipping?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1207758

I'd be surprised if Overcooked didn't sell very well on the Switch. On the NoE eShop at least, it has been high on the sales charts just about every week since it was released.

Was this a trend on Vita as well? I can't remember to be honest. My memories of playing Vita only consists of Persona and the bad Uncharted.

I mean indie games were pretty much the only Vita games so naturally they should sell quite well there.

The Hermit

Check out my topic I talk about it a bit there:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1422302

That thread is amazing.

There was a reunion with some friends and couples and I took my Switch, because one of them was an avid Street Fighter player.

People were taking turns and we played for over 2 hours, screaming at each other. Gf vs gf included ( who were more worried about the color instead of the character lol).

ARMs and Tetris ( demo) were a equally successful too.

Sonic and Metal Slug... Not so much.

Top Bottom