• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Squared Switch first three days' sales > All other platforms LTD

Chessr

I mean indie games were pretty much the only Vita games so naturally they should sell quite well there.

Just Because there is only indi games dont make people suddenly like them.
I dont buy indie on switch just Because there are no AAA games. Never understood that logic

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Was this a trend on Vita as well? I can't remember to be honest. My memories of playing Vita only consists of Persona and the bad Uncharted.

I honestly don't know why people call it the new Vita. Its the new (new) 3DS.

It'll have lots of support from Nintendo and minimal support from 3rd parties especially in the West. You just aren't going to get the big AAA games on the system for a myriad of reasons. The lack of Japanese 3rd support is honestly surprising given the sales success but I guess we'll see where things stand after TGS.

I've been extremely disappointed with my Switch purchase so far personally. I'm not surprised indies are selling well though because its a system thats selling well and isn't flooded with the quantity of games that other platforms deal with. More room to stick out.

jts

...hate me...
There really is no reason to buy an indie game anywhere else if you own a Switch, unless performance is hurtfully worse.

Never heard of this game before, but a quick google yield nothing but praise for it, ended up buying :D

And nice to hear about so much success stories on switch

Just indie ones. We also know Disgaea 5 and Ultra Street Fighter 2 blew expectations out of the water.

Don't forget Bomberman being way bigger then Konami expected. Along with a few other games where we know the Switch versions sold just as well or outsold the other platforms.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Glad to see more Indie finding success on the Switch....its tough out there for Indie devs - most games get overlooked or are in constant competition with other high quality games on sale.

Glad to see more Indie finding success on the Switch....its tough out there for Indie devs - most games get overlooked or are in constant competition with other high quality games on sale.

We're always told third party games can't sell because they have to compete with Nintendo's best. Well Nintendo's having a stellar year in terms of quantity and quality of output.....

Widge

Was this a trend on Vita as well? I can't remember to be honest. My memories of playing Vita only consists of Persona and the bad Uncharted.

Thing there is the Vita got some quality indies, that's true, but it was also positioned as a home console grade machine in your pocket... and those home console grade games either didn't come, were pale imitations of main series games or were also available on PS4.

Being the sole platform, Switch has no such issue. It's getting the premium version of the mainline games, it's not fragmenting its market, it doesn't have to compete against its own other hardware. And this is where the sense of positivity is coming from.

Retro City Rampage dev(and others) said that the Vita version was the best selling version of the game around release. I'm sure that's changed since then but switch seems to be carrying that flag.

No major 3rd party AAA releases will have the same impact on switch, and maybe that's okay.

Retro City Rampage dev(and others) said that the Vita version was the best selling version of the game around release. I'm sure that's changed since then but switch seems to be carrying that flag.

No major 3rd party AAA releases will have the same impact on switch, and maybe that's okay.

Didnt the 3ds version of RCR end up being the best selling?

Tagyhag

I'm glad that they eventually found success, Switch being the home for indies is good for those indies that would get drowned out in bigger libraries.

That said, who knows how long that lasts? It all depends on Nintendo and how much games they'll allow on the system.

Damn, they do say on Twitter that it did badly on the other systems but those sales are shockingly low.:/

It's not shocking at all. Steam gets like 20 games a day now, if your game is not a name-brand and is not incredibly good or creative, it won't be noticed in general.

Oregano

I think the 3DS version of Retro City Rampage might have ended up the most successful. It sold the most copies at full price despite being super late. I remember posting the thread about it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We're always told third party games can't sell because they have to compete with Nintendo's best. Well Nintendo's having a stellar year in terms of quantity and quality of output.....

Some people will keep moving the goalpost - nothing you can do about it. But most devs who work on Switch games or have found success on it know its the real deal and will likely continue to support the system/audience.

But yeah its quite telling that THIS famous excuse of the past isnt being brought up on Switch even though Nintendos first party lineup was amazing so far.

War has changed xD

Never heard of this game before, but a quick google yield nothing but praise for it, ended up buying :D

similar story here. Just watched the trailer for the first time, game looks fucking rad. Will pick it up when I get home.

Didnt the 3ds version of RCR end up being the best selling?

Probably, but it was released like a year and a half later. Like I said, at launch(and maybe even up to a year after) the vita version was the biggest one. Was PC, PS3, and vita on launch with 360 and wii ware 6 months later. Vita version outsold all those platforms, but I'm sure it's been overtaken since then. Dev did say in december 2014 that the PC and PS "Family" versions were the most successful though, so I dunno about 3ds taking over

edit:

I think the 3DS version of Retro City Rampage might have ended up the most successful. It sold the most copies at full price despite being super late. I remember posting the thread about it.

ah, yeah like I said, wouldn't be surprised if it ended up flipping at some point

I feel like this is very often the case with Nintendo consoles. Once they get lots of games to be more on par with the other consoles and there's more games to choose from you never hear these stories anymore I feel like.
Your feelings are the only facts we need.

People's 'feelings' are what's wrong with the world :p

The real boon for indies right now on Switch is that because there aren't a lot of marketing $$$ being thrown at Switch by big publishers, indie content is Nintendo's premium third-party content for the moment and therefore any given indie release is far and away much more visible than a comparable release on PS4 or Xbox One.

This isn't necessarily a matter of "Switch has no games" (Switch is actually hitting a pretty good stride for new game releases), but a matter of "there's not a lot of marketing noise obscuring smaller releases on Switch."

This is the correct read of the situation. Developers and Nintendo itself acknowledge this openly.

With that in mind, release cadence will be critical. Baker said that they learned from the mistakes of the Wii U, and certainly those 60 confirmed titles won't be hitting the eShop all at once. Staggering releases will not only keep things fresh, but it should aid developers with discoverability on Nintendo's digital storefront.

"If they're granted access into the developer portal and given the tools to develop on Nintendo Switch... We just have that open dialogue with them and try and work on our release strategy so that we can get behind it with marketing and promotional support and make sure they aren't going to get lost in the noise of everything else that's going on," he noted.

We asked Burtis how often he hears from indies who want to pursue Switch. "Nowadays? Pretty bloody often. Beforehand, not so much - I think as more information came out about the platform it got a lot more people excited. Every single dev for games that we now have coming out are like, 'Hey can we also be on the Switch?'... But I think it's definitely a platform that pretty much any indie is going to want us to target.

"Definitely discoverability from our standpoint is one of the biggest things. It's going to be curated for quite a while, so if you can get on there you should be pretty golden. I also think that being able to take such polished games...with you on the go [is amazing]," he added.

"I'll want it to be curated somehow because I don't want to be stuck - that's the problem with Steam right now because I feel like I'm just shovelware. It doesn't matter if there are so many users on Steam, because if you can't reach any of them with all the noise [in the marketplace] it doesn't matter. It's much better to get out on a platform where you can be seen," explained Lyngeled.

Sigurgeirsson added, "There was a time when Steam wasn't so cluttered, meaning that if you as an indie could get your game onto Steam you'd be set. It's really not that indie friendly on Steam any more; it's not even publisher friendly. It's started to resemble the App Store in a way - you have so many titles that almost by definition it's not indie friendly. On the App Store you have a hundred new games coming out everyday - maybe there are a hundred games coming out to the Switch in a year. You're almost guaranteed so much more visibility."

Is this good news for the Switch and indie developers? Yes. Will the Switch likely be the recipient of a great convergence of games that previously aimed for the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita? Also yes. Will some of this situation taper off as the Switch gets older? Likely.

The Switch is an excellent platform for indies, due in part to its hybrid nature, the flexibility of the Joy-Cons/touchscreen, and range of graphical power.

Relax y'all. There's no reason to go console wars on folks that are just giving you context for a situation.

---

Yes, it happens on many platforms. Vita was fairly strong. Steam and the Apple App Store were great platforms for developers early on, but now those platforms are full of new titles. Having 60-100 million users doesn't matter if those users don't see your game.

Hero

Exactly, right now Switch owners are hungry, not because of few releases, but because they want more things to play on their new device. Will this always be the case for the life of the Switch? Probably not, but for now and the foreseeable future, good indies will probably sell the best on Switch compared to the other two systems.

People argued against curation but honestly I think it's one of the best things for all parties involved right now.

Jakoo

I'm glad the first mover advantage for indie dev's on the Switch paid off, as I'm sure it felt like a big risk at the time.

50 million or 100 million doesn't make a difference when you only need your game to sell like 5 figures to be a success. Visibility is more important than install base for indie games.

Not to take away from Switch but the hardware sales aren't really limiting indie success stories.

Yea, but it's not always gonna be like that. Good that this game has done well on Switch, but it won't always be like this. Indies were doing fine on PS4, and still are, when it first came out and PS4 were new. But as more games get announced, the more crowded eshop will get.... and less messages you'll see like this.

And no matter how good the shops layout is, some are gonna get buried. That's just how it is.

Btw, the more times people preemptively say "in before Switch has no games" the people will react to that message.

ggx2ac

Link: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/dea...-switch-game-today-because-theres-a-sale-soon

According to the link above, the devs are telling you not to buy the game (if you are) until later because it's going to be on sale this week from the 28th of September.

May as well repost this, during TGS 2017, Death Squared was playable at TGS, its Japanese title is RORORORO.

Link: https://twitter.com/CIRCLE_Ent/status/911744000146653184

RORORORO Switch version has been nominated by Dengeki PlayStation indie department...😅 @smgstudio https://t.co/EVw57TUjnp

DKcqUyeU8AEYUIl.jpg

I'm pretty sure the basic layout of the eShop really helps. If you release a game on Switch you're guaranteed 2-3 weeks on the New Releases front page. And the Coming Soon page being pretty much agnostic does wonders for anything.

All eShop really needs is a tab for curated collections (eg. all Hamster ACA Nintendo games or 2K Sports games or indie platformers accessible through a flashy banner, and they can be rotated every few weeks), and a Specials tab for games on sale.

You shouldn't have to dig through 50 menus like PAN.

I'm pretty sure the basic layout of the eShop really helps. If you release a game on Switch you're guaranteed 2-3 weeks on the New Releases front page. And the Coming Soon page being pretty much agnostic does wonders for anything.

All eShop really needs is a tab for curated collections (eg. all Hamster ACA Nintendo games or 2K Sports games or indie platformers accessible through a flashy banner, and they can be rotated every few weeks), and a Specials tab for games on sale.
The exposure likely stops this Thursday, when around 18 games are releasing at once.

:p

Meffer

Probably helps that you can view and sift the entirety of the game catalog in under a minute.

That actually might be a reason as to why indie are doing really well right now. Pretty sure News on the Switch showing new games released also is a big factor. You can go right to the game on eShop through the News.

Head.spawn

Low quality bait.

I have a Switch, but okay.

Proof: I was waiting in my Overwatch match a second ago after just getting in the match... with 56 seconds countdown to go I turned on my Switch, browsed all 142 releases and still had 5 seconds left on the countdown for the offense gate to open up.

Head.spawn

Well then you'd know you aren't looking through the entire eShop library in under a minute, unless you're just pressing down on your joy con to scroll from top to bottom and not actually browsing.

I notice you threw in the word 'browse' gotcha, but I simply said view and sift and I stand by that.

I noticed you threw in the word 'browse' gotcha, but I simply said view and sift and I stand by that.

Sure, you can stand by it, but it makes your original point complete nonsense as to the reasoning why indies are seeing big returns on the platform.

No one is discovering a new game to play on their Switch by holding the down button on their controller for one minute to fly through the list of eShop titles.

If you had simply stated that the limited library helps indies at this point in the console's lifecycle, you'd very likely be correct.

Head.spawn

Sure, you can stand by it, but it makes your original point complete nonsense as to the reasoning why indies are seeing big returns on the platform.

No one is discovering a new game to play on their Switch by holding the down button on their controller for one minute to fly through the list of eShop titles.

If you had simply stated that the limited library helps indies at this point in the console's lifecycle, you'd very likely be correct.

No idea what has you all worked up but the complete nonsense and obvious point I was making is that the library is limited. That absolutely helps with visibility and a game that would otherwise have been buried alive on release date by tons of other games, heavy hitter releases in the new (this game shipped during Horizon/Neir IIRC), or those yearly release titles that somehow keep getting rebumped/repackaged by 3rd party AAA developers to show 4 more digital SKU's every other week, etc etc.. all of that certainly helps. That's the overall point that I'm sure others already already stated.

Millions of people, looking through a small pool of 150 titles, everyone that has looked in the Eshop has likely seen it or at least passed by it. There are released titles on PS4 I've literally never seen at all when browsing through their catalog.. probably games I'd buy. Hell, I didn't even see this game on Xbox One.. first time I saw it was when I got a Switch. Funny that.

watdaeff4

I've never timed myself but Head Spawns main point that it's easier to find an indie game on the eShop than the PS Store or the Xbox store is valid.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean that is the sole reason why these indie games are selling better on the Switch

Correlation =/= Causation

I've never timed myself but Head Spawns main point that it's easier to find an indie game on the eShop than the PS Store or the Xbox store is valid.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean that is the sole reason why these indie games are selling better on the Switch

Correlation =/= Causation

I’m not sure it is a big factor even so. If you look at the Switch eShop there’s no curation whatsoever. You have a small list of recents. A list of games coming soon - note that Overcooked never appeared in the coming soon list before its launch. And then there’s the Charts. Other than that you’ve got Search.

The News app, though, definitely makes a difference. Today nintendo just pushed an article about Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and I’ve followed the game’s channel and will probably buy it now as I’m looking for a new multiplayer game...

Top Bottom