• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Squared Switch first three days' sales > All other platforms LTD

nightside

People likes indy games for lots of reasons. Portability is a great factor, and unlike vita switch is gonna (hopefully) receive great support from Nintendo.

Currently indies should be doing everything they can to get their game on the Switch. It's clear that is the best place for indies currently.

It will be interesting to see how the bigger Third Party games will do. Obviously I don't expect it Skyrim to outsell all other platforms combined (or all other platforms at all). I'd love to know what Nintendo/Bethesda are projecting for a game like Skyrim and Rockstar for LA Noire.

Congrats to the devs.

First post is bad, and you should feel bad.

Pretty sure it's sarcasm ;)

Astronomically bigger userbases don't mean much when you don't have a way to reach that audience. I can tell you that a lot of people on this forum had no idea games like Slime-San, PolyBridge, and Death Squared had already been on Steam for months before being announced/releasing for Switch.
All that tells us is that it's probably smarter for small devs to prioritize releasing on Switch before the other consoles.

Which it seems they're starting to do just that.

Oregano

Yeah but a huge portion of those large userbases are playing things like Destiny 2 right now.

In the grand scheme of things isn't that point meaningless for what this represents?

Switch is always going to have less games released than PS4 and XBO, especially big AAA games so if that's the reason these indie games are selling well that will continue to be in true. In which case doesn't it make perfect sense for those smaller developers looking for exposure to target Switch primarily?

Hero

If you're gonna drive by, at least get the actual functioning gif.

giphy.gif

Switch is the most practical system for actually playing games, the most friendly. If there is parity (Or even if it's merely close enough) why would I want to be tied to the TV when I can have it on a system I can take anywhere in the house AND use on my TV?
The other home consoles require a "ritual" to get into a play session, have longer startup times, you have to take the TV... So if you play a game, it better be worth the hassle... And I think that limits the attractive of the PS4 to 60€, high budget, long AAA games.

PsionBolt

With how much of a running gag this is quickly becoming, if I were an indie in this position, I'd be slamming out a statement of my own ASAP. It's a rare opportunity for an indie dev to be able to star in a GAF thread with one tweet!

I find this thread trend super amusing, in a totally positive way.

adversarial

I feel like I've seen 50 of these threads recently. I've never seen a thread like this for another console though.

Indie games seem tailor-made for this system, and they will continue to sell as such even after it actually has a games library.

In the grand scheme of things isn't that point meaningless for what this represents?

Switch is always going to have less games released than PS4 and XBO, especially big AAA games so if that's the reason these indie games are selling well that will continue to be in true. In which case doesn't it make perfect sense for those smaller developers looking for exposure to target Switch primarily?

Well no. Everything I've seen seems to point to Switch being much more comparable to the other consoles for third party support, especially from Japanese devs. We don't factor in old games because once they're old it's not like they're getting loads of sales and taking possible spending money away from other games (outside of GTA5).

Yeah but a huge portion of those large userbases are playing things like Destiny 2 right now.

Astronomically bigger userbases don't mean much when you don't have a way to reach that audience. I can tell you that a lot of people on this forum had no idea games like Slime-San, PolyBridge, and Death Squared had already been on Steam for months before being announced/releasing for Switch.

50 million or 100 million doesn't make a difference when you only need your game to sell like 5 figures to be a success. Visibility is more important than install base for indie games.

Not to take away from Switch but the hardware sales aren't really limiting indie success stories.

All I am pointing out is that while the Switch isn't as crowded (its not and these titles do get a higher visibility) the other platforms have more users to where you need a less visible presence to get equal sales all other things considered.

Even with all these success stories, it still feels like a lot of prominent indie devs don't consider the Switch as a platform for their (new) games. Which is a damn shame.

Plus a huge portion of the switch UB is playing Zelda, MK8D and Splatoon atm.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It really is a great opportunity for indie to embrace the swith right now

The game is also a perfect fit for the nature of the console

Oregano

Well no. Everything I've seen seems to point to Switch being much more comparable to the other consoles for third party support, especially from Japanese devs. We don't factor in old games because once they're old it's not like they're getting loads of sales and taking possible spending money away from other games (outside of GTA5).

Even just going by announcements from E3 onwards the Switch is lagging behind Xbox One and lagging well behind PS4. Its third party support from traditional developers is nowhere close to comparable and never will be for unavoidable reasons.

EDIT:

So, we have 4 sucessfull stories now? Huge list.

Just indie ones. We also know Disgaea 5 and Ultra Street Fighter 2 blew expectations out of the water.

HotHamBoy

Another Switch success stories is here, another thread filled with master mental gymnasts downplaying it is coming.

Context = mental gymnastics lol

Facts are facts, the Switch has a userbase that is eager for new content and there isn't as much releasing on a weekly basis compared to other platforms.

That's not downplaying it so much as reasoning.

4 over the past week I believe. We had a lot more previously, like Kamiko, Snipperclips, and probably others that I'm forgetting.

Context = mental gymnastics lol

Facts are facts, the Switch has a userbase that is eager for new content and there isn't as much releasing on a weekly basis compared to other platforms.

That's not downplaying it so much as reasoning.

As of now it's getting at least 5 new games a week I believe. What do the other consoles get?

Oregano

There's way more than 4. These are reports from just this week.

Snake Pass, Blaster Master Zero, and Graceful Explosion Machine are three more, just off the top of my head.

Also recently Shin'en said FAST RMX sales could be compared to Kamiko and Hamster said the Neo Geo games shot past 200k a long time ago now.

Zedark

Death Squared, Forma.8, Kamiko, Blaster Master Zero, Snake Pass, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, Has Been Heroes, FAST RMX, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Graceful Explosion Machine. Those are the ones I can think off the top of my head.

HotHamBoy

4 over the past week I believe. We had a lot more previously, like Kamiko, Snipperclips, and probably others that I'm forgetting.

As of now it's getting at least 5 new games a week I believe. What do the other consoles get?

Roughly that but with far more new high-profile $60 games and 3 years worth of software that people wait to buy for one reason or another.

Right now we are entering the season in which multiple $60 AAA games will release every week through the holidays on PS4/XB1/PC. Switch isn't getting that kind of content stream.

Widge

I'd definitely choose a portable over a fixed system for indies. If it was a good game, regardless of competing games in the catalogue, and even if my PC played it better. I just like playing those sorts of titles on-the-go.

XaosWolf

Great news! The game deserves to do well. Its simple enough that my parents can play it and its legitimately funny too.

TrutaS

You can repeat the "starved gamer" reason all you want (and it definitely plays a big part). But I for one am planning to buy all indies on the Switch m, because of portability.

These kinda threads were also posted a few years ago about psvita...

And the Vita got supported and still is suppirted because even though like 12 people bought it those 12 people still apparently make releasing games on it worth it.

If anything all that says is if the Switch is a massive flop you'll still get indie games.

Roughly that but with far more new high-profile $60 games and 3 years worth of software that people wait to buy for one reason or another.

Oh I wasn't trying to claim otherwise, just in the raw numbers it's getting to be a pretty high rate of new games released.

I'm guessing that number is not just for packaged retail? If so then the PS4/XB1 get much much more than that generally.

Yeah there's no way that's just packaged retail. That's one area where the Switch is struggling mightily, the vast majority of its games are eshop only.

HotHamBoy

You can repeat the "starved gamer" reason all you want (and it definitely plays a big part). But I for one am planning to buy all indies on the Switch m, because of portability.

That's why I bought all my indies on Vita if they weren't cross-buy with PS4. Though they usually are.

Yeah its a case of the Switch not having hundreds of games released in a month like Steam, but the prospect of indy titles is just better for the Switch and its on the go nature. Glad to see devs doing good on the Switch.

Domstercool

I wonder how many people are like me. I now basically get every indie game on switch instead of PC if the switch title is identical (runs 1080p 60fps without missing any features).

I wonder how many people are like me. I now basically get every indie game on switch instead of PC if the switch title is identical (runs 1080p 60fps without missing any features).

Anecdotally, all my friends have been buying indies on their switches rather than via Steam lately, because of the portability aspect. Especially for games w/ a big focus on local play (eg. Overcooked) For anything not graphically intensive it just makes sense.

I kind of both agree and disagree with the assessment that these games are only selling because the "switch has no games," because for me I just love playing games on the damn thing especially with pick up and play indie games it feels so much nicer to be able to play it both on the TV and handheld when doing other things, so I find myself picking up games I would never have picked up otherwise even though I have no shortage of games to play on other platforms. Personally, I think that's a strength of the system rather than lack of content.

Oh I wasn't trying to claim otherwise, just in the raw numbers it's getting to be a pretty high rate of new games released.

Yeah there's no way that's just packaged retail. That's one area where the Switch is struggling mightily, the vast majority of its games are eshop only.

Then yeah I just went to PSN and hit the new this week category and counted at least 15 new games just on PSN. I stopped going past like page 5.

I feel like this is very often the case with Nintendo consoles. Once they get lots of games to be more on par with the other consoles and there's more games to choose from you never hear these stories anymore I feel like.

It was the case with steam when the indie revolution hit back in 2010-2013(??), dates vary. Success story after success story. Sadly when the first time big hitters released the sequel to the hit games, they were met with less then stellar sales compared to the firsr game. Have no links at hand but there have been a few gaf threads over the years on this matter and they make for some sad reading.

I mean it's fucking great to hear all these switch success stories, I just hope devs plan for the inevitable situation where indie becomes the new norm, high volume Sales decreaseand these types of stories peter out.

Rush_Khan

Well, I mean, I didn't even know it was on other platforms.

Fun little puzzle game, though. I have a lot of fun in coop with my sister.

Anecdotally, all my friends have been buying indies on their switches rather than via Steam lately, because of the portability aspect. Especially for games w/ a big focus on local play (eg. Overcooked) For anything not graphically intensive it just makes sense.

I kind of both agree and disagree with the assessment that these games are only selling because the "switch has no games," because for me I just love playing games on the damn thing especially with pick up and play indie games it feels so much nicer to be able to play it both on the TV and handheld when doing other things, so I find myself picking up games I would never have picked up otherwise even though I have no shortage of games to play on other platforms. Personally, I think that's a strength of the system rather than lack of content.

I'm not sure that anyone is disputing that there's definitely an appeal to playing indies portably. I think we're just saying that if PS4/XB1 had the same number of releases and lack of big releases these stories probably wouldn't happen. For no other reason than the vastly disparate user bases.

Sorbete

I remember a similar story with Gunman Clive no? Then the same dev said that in later years it became harder for indies. Not trying to downplay though. Keep the games coming.

Top Bottom