• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC:Game journalists/influencers who get free stuff & post about it must specify #ad

Which things do you think this applies to given the wording?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if this means reviews where the review copy is free also must be noted as #ad?

ftc6sbvs.png

Source: https://twitter.com/FTC/status/910601536824315904

NateDrake

Many sites now have a citation indicating a review copy is provided by the publisher for disclosure. As you see on Twitter with Nintendo games, people have to use the hashtag #freegame. Failure to comply to these rules can lead to the publisher to cease support and providing review copies.

Pudge

I do wonder. Unless there's a way to basically put out that your opinion isn't being swayed by this free game.

Which in most cases it is. Or revoke the game after you're done?

A game reviewer with any amount of experience will not be swayed by a free game, they're literally drowning in games. A free code isn't some joyful thing that we celebrate, it's either more work or an awkward conversation with PR later.

I 100% agree that there should be a disclosure statement at the bottom of the review, but that fact that I got a press copy of a game doesn't turn my opinion into an ad. No ad would talk about Dead Rising 4 the way I did, let me tell you.

Syntax

Completely agree with this.

Are there any negatives here?

Also, what if a reviewer buys a copy and is reimbursed for it later?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Many sites now have a citation indicating a review copy is provided by the publisher for disclosure. As you see on Twitter with Nintendo games, people have to use the hashtag #freegame. Failure to comply to these rules can lead to the publisher to cease support and providing review copies.

But this states they must point out it is an *advertisement*, not just that it was free.

VariantX

Completely agree with this.

Are there any negatives here?

Also, what if a reviewer buys a copy and is reimbursed for it later?

Then It would be an ad anyway if the reviewer is going to get it for free no matter what. Just because you do it backwards doesn't mean its not the same thing. The company is still giving the reviewer something at the end of the day.

So is the line between influencer and established reviewer so blurred that they're just applying the rules to everyone and making everything be an #ad?

sueil

I feel like professional review sites like Gamespot / IGN / Polygon's of the world shouldn't fall into the #ad category.

Ferrio

Banned
Is it still an ad if it's a negative reaction?

To me reviews aren't ads unless the company has a history of revoking review copies upon bad reviews.

Joffy

Neo Member
A game reviewer with any amount of experience will not be swayed by a free game, they're literally drowning in games. A free code isn't some joyful thing that we celebrate, it's either more work or an awkward conversation with PR later.

I 100% agree that there should be a disclosure statement at the bottom of the review, but that fact that I got a press copy of a game doesn't turn my opinion into an ad. No ad would talk about Dead Rising 4 the way I did, let me tell you.

100% with this. Free codes mean nothing to reviewers, they often get handed out like candy. I'd imagine most sites have too many codes if anything. I write for a relatively small site and we get far more than we can cover.

REVIEW COPY PROVIDED BY PLAYSTATION

In all seriousness I am not convinced that game press standard of free review copies from self respecting publishers, ignoring the bigger goodie boxes, is the norm everywhere. So it poses an interesting contrast between sector standards.

REVIEW COPY PROVIDED BY PLAYSTATION

Syntax

So is the line between influencer and established reviewer so blurred that they're just applying it to everyone?
What's the difference between a streamer being paid to play (not endorse) a game and a reviewer? Aside from having to write an article, it seems too similar to draw a line in the sand.

I wonder if this means reviews where the review copy is free also must be noted as #ad?
The wording is actually surprisingly non-ambiguous. If it's sent to you for free for reviewing purposes, the FTC considers it an advertisement.

Which is definitely kinda weird. I'm 100% in support of it being disclosed, but I'm not sure if that makes it an advertisement.

McDougles

I feel like professional review sites like Gamespot / IGN / Polygon's of the world shouldn't fall into the #ad category.

When requesting a review copy of a game, I indicate 99.9% of the time that our request is for a review that will go up on our site. "No demand to post" seems outside the realm of a traditional review, but instead a marketing company sending out game-related swag just because.

The tweet refers specifically to Influencers, while the thread title mentions journalists as well. Does the FTC actually consider journalists to be influencers? If so, that could affect a lot of mediums outside of video games as well.

What's the difference between a streamer being paid to play (not endorse) a game and a reviewer? Aside from having to write an article, it seems too similar to draw a line in the sand.
Obligation to not be critical of the product by the streamer, typically.

The tweet refers specifically to Influencers, while the thread title mentions journalists as well. Does the FTC actually consider journalists to be influencers? If so, that could affect a lot of mediums outside of video games as well.

Yeah this sounds like it should apply to TV/film preview screenings targetted at social media 'influencers,' and I would struggle to think that those should not also count as advertisement.

Do game publishers book their review copies of games as part of their P&A budgets?

atomsk

Party Pooper

100% with this. Free codes mean nothing to reviewers, they often get handed out like candy. I'd imagine most sites have too many codes if anything. I write for a relatively small site and we get far more than we can cover.

As a regular run of the mill youtube guy with 57k subs, I get indie games in my inbox weekly, more than I can bother to do video coverage on.

I always include full disclosure both verbally and in the description of the video.

I've never used #ad, I guess I should start huh

I still feel like my audience may interpret #ad as I'm getting paid, even though these games show up unsolicited.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Probably a little over-broad, but I'm cool with erring on the side of transparency for the consumer.

sonicmj1

But this states they must point out it is an *advertisement*, not just that it was free.

That's not true. The #ad tag is just a way to easily fit in Twitter's strict character limits.

The FTC has a fuller FAQ-type thing on their site, which is pretty useful for breaking this down. You have to disclose that you got the product for free, and make that clear (even when streaming), but you don't necessarily have to go beyond that unless there's more to the relationship.

The short version:

FTC said:
Is there special wording I have to use to make the disclosure?

No. The point is to give readers the essential information. A simple disclosure like “Company X gave me this product to try . . . .” will usually be effective.

Game Guru

It's not an ad if you get a free game for a review. That's just standard reviewing practice for any form of review. Film reviewers get free screenings. Restaurant reviewers get free food. Product reviewers get free products. Why should video games be any different from them?

L Thammy

It seems to me like it's open enough that it can apply to just about anything that's exposed to a mass audience. If you're a reviewer the assumption is that they're sending it to you for you to review, if you're an influencer the assumption is that they're sending it in order for you to show off.

EDIT:
Actually, it looks a little more strict on reviewers; in that case, it specifically has to be sent for you to review.

Probably a little over-broad, but I'm cool with erring on the side of transparency for the consumer.

Here's where I stand for now.

David___

Banned
Curious if streamers would need to put a specific overlay on their stream since theyre isnt a description box like youtube videos

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's probably fine to acknowledge the free copy for the purpose of review in the same way some Steam reviews automatically do.

sonicmj1

Curious if streamers would need to put a specific overlay on their stream since theyre isnt a description box like youtube videos

The FTC recommends that as a safe approach to the issue.

FTC said:
I’m getting paid to do a videogame playthrough and give commentary while I’m playing. The playthrough – which will last several hours – will be live streamed. Would a disclosure at the beginning of the stream be ok?

Since viewers can tune in any time, they could easily miss a disclosure at the beginning of the stream or at any other single point in the stream. If there are multiple, periodic disclosures throughout the stream people are likely to see them no matter when they tune in. To be cautious, you could have a continuous, clear and conspicuous disclosure throughout the entire stream.

I've also seen streamers specifically point out in the stream title when a stream is sponsored.

Reviews are not ads. If I get invited to an early movie screening for free and post on Twitter, is that an ad? Seems to be a bit much to treat it as such.

tim.mbp

It's not an ad if you get a free game for a review. That's just standard reviewing practice for any form of review. Film reviewers get free screenings. Restaurant reviewers get free food. Product reviewers get free products. Why should video games be any different from them?

If the audience understands the relationship between reviewer and product, there’s no need for disclosure. It’s why film reviewers for newspapers don’t need to state they saw a film for free.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Reviews are not ads. If I get invited to an early movie screening for free and post on Twitter, is that an ad? Seems to be a bit much to treat it as such.

They aren't likely to enforce it so I would say you could assume there's a gray area. It's obviously meant to reign in influencers who are creating a deceptive relationship with their viewers.

That's not true. The #ad tag is just a way to easily fit in Twitter's strict character limits.

The FTC has a fuller FAQ-type thing on their site, which is pretty useful for breaking this down. You have to disclose that you got the product for free, and make that clear (even when streaming), but you don't necessarily have to go beyond that unless there's more to the relationship.

The short version:

Skimming through that site, there doesn't seem to have been any policy change on this issue. Influencers need to acknowledge that they received free copies or were paid to advertise, and traditional media operates as it always has.

_Ryo_

I picked "Other/See my post" in the poll because according to the wording I interpret that it would mean all of the above. If you get something for free and tweet about it or review it, or do an unboxing, let's play, YouTube video, or blog about it or post about it on your website, it should count as an #ad as per wording of the FTC. If it's free and you're doing any communication that directly involves the received item, then it is an Ad.

It's irrelevant as to if I actually agree with that or not, I am just going by what the reading implies.

The short version:

Seems most reviews shouldn't see much, if any, change.

Unless the whole post consist of showing of the free merchandises or "go buy XXX", a disclosure under the entry title is enough. I doubt they would write a biased review/preview/whatever for a game just because they got $100 retail worth of freebies.

pa22word

So is the line between influencer and established reviewer so blurred that they're just applying the rules to everyone and making everything be an #ad?

I think the biggest issue with gaming media here is that there really isn't an establishment press for gaming. In other mediums the sanctity (if you will) of the reviewers opinion was established and mostly guaranteed and/or assumed via the filtering through a third party that's wholly independent of the product in question's success or failure on the market, such as a general newspaper or magazine. In other forms of media what we consider to be the "established" reviewers such as IGN or Gamespot would be wholeheartedly considered enthusiast platforms rather than established. Being enthusiast press brings a whole can of worms into the equation for exactly the reason the FTC here brings up due to ultimately being reliant on the gaming industry itself in a sort of snake eating its own tail situation, and it's been a perpetual issue of sorts that's always kind of dragged on the gaming press, however much they handwave the issue. It's equally troubling when a lot of your favorite gaming journos often land jobs as a raise of sorts not at a new, better journalistic outing but instead straight into the veins of the machine they were just paid for a living to critique.

Ultimately, more transparency is always a good thing when it comes to this kind of thing so I fail to see why they shouldn't be required to state any and all potential influencing factors on the review itself before you actually engage with any of their writing.

Syntax

Conflating criticism with paid advertisement.
I'm of the opinion that not having to pay definitely helps smooth over rough edges. So, while I understand that reviewers paying for games would limit how many games they can review, I also think their reviews aren't as honest/unbiased as they should be. Which isn't the same thing as an ad, I know. Maybe more of a subtle bribe?

"A good/professional reviewer is above that sort of thing."

I just don't believe it. Talking degrees, not wholesale bad-to-good flip flopping.

Obligation to not be critical of the product by the streamer, typically.
No such thing as bad press?
It's not like most major reviews are pure trashing of games.
They shouldn't. This needs to extend to cover those things as well.

CazTGG

...Yeah, the wording could be a lot better since there's a big difference between "__ gave me this game to talk about it!" and "__ gave me this game for the purpose of critique". I always include a "review code provided" disclaimer in the description of any video or the video itself where a publisher/developer supplies one regardless but the wording here isn't clear as to whether that would be proper disclosure.

I think this is fantastic. All reviews are ads for the game. This is very pro-consumer with zero negatives.

I wasn't aware me ripping into Valkyria Revolution (I called it 2017's worst game and did not recommend the game for its many flaws) is the same as an ad.

They shouldn't. This needs to extend to cover those things as well.

You try getting out a review of a JRPG in a timely manner while having to fork over $80 per game when early adopters have already made their uninformed decision and everyone else is rushing to have their first review be the first one out the door.

Unless the whole post consist of showing of the free merchandises or "go buy XXX", a disclosure under the entry title is enough. I doubt they would write a biased review/preview/whatever for a game just because they got $100 retail worth of freebies.

I would bet there are huge swaths of people on YouTube and Twitch who do this stuff specifically to get free stuff. Why would that surprise you?

Top Bottom