• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funeral-Age: R.I.P Gamecube. We did love you

neptunes

There's an easy joke waiting to be posted but whatever...

That was rather quick and painless though, like "take the dog out back" quick

Gamecube, I never owned you or played a game on you...and yet, I feel that I did.

God speed, little machine. God speed.

Gattsu25

Banned
RIP GC, you gave use...

Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Pikmin
RE4
and
and
and RE4

edit: OH! and REmake

It's about time.
Gamecube was like a child that Nintendo never wanted but had to deal with anyway.
Extreme lack of 3rd Party Support, severe release droughts, and sparse online support doomed the Gamecube.
You will
probably not
be missed

One good thing that came out of the gamecube was Nintendo finally changed their vision and starting moving in a different direction. And of course there were plenty of quality 1st party titles on the gamecube per usual.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
plagiarize said:
and f-zero gx, and a whole bunch of other stuff he didn't list.

The first really good Smash Brothers, the original Super Monkey Ball....

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Gattsu25 said:
RIP GC, you gave use...

Mario Sunshine
Eternal Darkness
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Pikmin
RE4
and
and
and RE4

edit: OH! and REmake

:lol

This sucks. I remember when it first came out it looked so different from all the other consoles a small cube in multiple colors. Great machine I still have one, probably one of the best designs in terms of wear and longevity ever.

The Gamecube was a tragic console. Sturdy machine, superior tech-wise to the market-leading PS2, great customer support from Nintendo, and, nevertheless, third-parties shit on it and contributed to its demise. The Gamecube, the second best console in Japan at the time, didn't see half the support the PSP, the second best handheld now, is receiving currently. **** them, I'm looking forward to seeing more Nintendo published titles eclipse their sorry ass efforts on the Wii/DS.

PkunkFury

My 5 favorite Cube games:

F-Zero GX
Super Monkey Ball
Metroid Prime
Animal Crossing
Chibi Robo

Pleanty of other good stuff under there, but these are the five I will never sell

Core407

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
The Gamecube was a tragic console. Sturdy machine, superior tech-wise to the market-leading PS2, great customer support from Nintendo, and, nevertheless, third-parties shit on it and contributed to its demise. The Gamecube, the second best console in Japan at the time, didn't see half the support the PSP, the second best handheld now, is receiving currently. **** them, I'm looking forward to seeing more Nintendo published titles eclipse their sorry ass efforts on the Wii/DS.

Yes, blame third parties for a problem thats been plaguing Nintendo consoles since the N64.

Core407 said:
Yes, blame third parties for a problem thats been plaguing Nintendo consoles since the N64.

What? Blame them for not making games for the N64 equally as good and polished as those from the big N? No problem, I'll continue doing that.

Nintendo was Nintendo's worst enemy... They made the choice to go cart when everyone was going CD... They made the cube look kiddy... I loved my 64 and GC but come on. Can't blame third party for the shit Nintendo did to themselves.

Core407

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
What? Blame them for not making games for the N64 equally as good and polished as those from the big N? No problem, I'll continue doing that.

I'd rather blame Nintendo fans for not supporting the good third party games.

I just traded in all my Gamecube gear. I got more money from Zelda:TP than I did for the system itself.

It was a good system. The best thing about it being that all the good games were exclusives for the most part. It provided quite a few gaming experiences I wouldn't have gotten elsewhere. A really good system to have with friends and four controllers.

and it had its obstacles, but I think we'll all look back on it fondly.

GameCube lives, in the form of "Super GameCube with Revolutionary motion control" better known as Wii.

and perhaps the long rumored upcoming GameCube-based next-gen GameBoy.

the original GameCube itself... is it really dead yet? the Dreamcast "lived" for over 8 years.

I don't want Cube to die. but if it does die,
at least mine died happy with Zelda Twilight Princesses sitting in its G.O.D. drive

Cosmozone

Poor Gamecube. Technically, it was the best machine last gen and deserved to do a little better than it did. But it couldn't be helped I suppose. And it even looked great, when only taking its design into consideration. This damn default colour...

Core407

Banned
TheIkariWarrior said:
GameCube lives, in the form of "Super GameCube with Revolutionary motion control" better known as Wii.

and perhaps the long rumored upcoming GameCube-based next-gen GameBoy.

the original GameCube itself... is it really dead yet? the Dreamcast "lived" for over 8 years.

I don't want Cube to die. but if it does die,
at least mine died happy with Zelda Twilight Princesses sitting in its G.O.D. drive

I don't think you're going to be seeing any new GCN games so yes, it is dead.

Core407 said:

...Which makes the Cube only the second console with the problem, which makes it okay to blame them. No?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Core407 said:
I'd rather blame Nintendo fans for not supporting the good third party games.
What good third party games that weren't half-assed ports or released months later than other versions didn't sell well? It all came down to "getting out what you put into it."

Az987

all good things
I still have my GC for the gameboy advance adapter even though I only have played 1 game on it so faar but I have a ton of unplayed GBA games.

I wish nintendo would have jammed that in there too

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Gamecube, you gave me RE4 and Metroid Prime. If just for that alone you will forever sit in that odd little spot in my entertainment center where nothing else quite fits. Also, because I bought your damn component cable.

gamingsetup1bdq6.jpg

Cosmozone said:
Poor Gamecube. Technically, it was the best machine last gen and deserved to do a little better than it did. But it couldn't be helped I suppose. And it even looked great, when only taking its design into consideration. This damn default colour...

I thought it was Xbox > Gamecube > PS2 from most to least powerful technically

Core407

Banned
Link said:
What good third party games that weren't half-assed ports or released months later than other versions didn't sell well? It all came down to "getting out what you put into it."

It would just be easier to wait for someone to post the total sales of each GCN game

yeah, i checked ebgames.com, only 6 games through the end of the year. time to take it out back, and tell the kids its living on a farm with other Gamecubes.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm not burying it yet. I'll play PSO 1&2 after 2 years again, when Sega gives us March as the last month of GC-PSO servers for free!

Ranger X

:Motorbass said:
I'm not burying it yet. I'll play PSO 1&2 after 2 years again, when Sega gives us March as the last month of GC-PSO servers for free!

I still have 2-3 games in backlog for my GC. They will be played on my Wii though. ;)

Top Bottom