• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funeral-Age: R.I.P Gamecube. We did love you

Surfheart said:
I've always been tempted to pick this up but wondered if its worth it just for single player (I have no friends)

Also, do you need a GBA inorder to play it?

FlyinJ said:
Man. If only there were a way for the Wii to emulate the GBA connectivity for 4 Swords and CC through wireless to a DS.

Are either of those games worth going through single player?

No, you don't need to a GBA to play Four Swords Adventures in single-player mode - if you use a GameCube controller, a window will pop up on screen simulating the GBA whenever the game needs it.

As to if it is worth it - I played it myself single-player and I actually enjoyed it. It is a level-based game based on getting a certain number of triforce shards, but the environments were fun (many based on areas of previous Zelda games) and varied. For the most part, it is all about trying to reach the end of the level, but there are things to find and puzzles to solve, to an extent, along with boss battles. And beings attacked by dozens of enemies at once is fun. It has beautiful 2d graphics which makes me want to see a new 2d console Zelda. As long as you don't expect an action-adventure and something more... old-school, I guess, its very fun.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Link said:
That was the wake. This is the burial.

Ah, gotcha. Oh well, one good thing that comes with the death of a system is the software that came out drops in price radically.

CrunchyB

Super Smash Brothers (played this a ton), Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario, Viewtiful Joe, FF:Crystal Chroniclles (in that order) made it worthwile.

Overall, a pretty cool console let down by a total lack of third party support.

karasu said:
I've never even touched a Gamecube. I've never even looked at one directly.
You didn't miss much. I haven't touched by GC in 4 years- the console was plagued with Mario remakes and zero third party games (that were worth while, that is).

Link

The Autumn Wind
UncleGuito said:
You didn't miss much. I haven't touched by GC in 4 years- the console was plagued with Mario remakes and zero third party games (that were worth while, that is).
I love this logic.

"I never played it, but the games sure did suck."

Grayman

Thanks for the birthday present Nintendo. :D

My mario kart box with the worst version of mario kart i've played.
I could have had just as much fun and saved several hundred dollars if I had bought a ps2 kart game and twisted metal 2.

It was a decent system, just not good enough for my standards.

RIP Gamecube, you have been played less than 150 hours since I bought you in 2004. And many of them were in the port of Metal Gear.

sphinx said:
single player is an absolute piece of crap. I am dead serious, DO NOT buy it thinking you'll get a substantial, real Zelda 2d single player adventure. The game was meant to be played on multiplayer, period. If you don't have at least 2 more friends, 2 more gameboys and 2 more link cables, forget about this game.

it's just a bunch of numbered levels ( 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 boss. 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 boss, repeat until world 7 or 8 I think ) and each time you begin each stage you lose the heart containers, weapons and items. The game is just not fun.

That is the major thing about the game - if you -don't- see it as a Zelda adventure game, but as a level-based action game with puzzle elements using Zelda fanservice locations, presentation, and gaming mechanics, then it is a fun game, IMHO. I've actually been tempted to boot it up again to play through some levels (especially the ocean shore one with the hundreds of hyper octorocs :) )

The Gamecube might be my favorite system ever. It has so many top-notch games. The haters don't know what they missed. But yes, it died young and lost commercially to its competition.

But it's not third parties' fault it died early, nor is it our fault for not buying more 3rd party games. It's Nintendo's fault. They made too many big mistakes. They not only ignored online (not that big a deal; so did Sony for the most part), they loudly bashed it (big mistake). They kiddified Zelda just when they had a chance to broaden their demographic with RE exclusivity, etc. They acted ashamed of its design (handle, size, small discs) instead of embracing it and marketing its portability and uniqueness...they should've used the small disc cases in the US instead of DVD cases that made the Cube section indistiguishable from the PS2 section of a store. They pushed GBA connectivity instead of the GBA Player. When it got bad, they gave up when they could've padded the US release list with ready-made Japanese content that would probably have sold fine (like Animal Crossing).

Don't blame the 3rd parties. 3rd party support and sales started out fine on the Cube. It was Nintendo's doing that narrowed the demographic and led 3rd parties to abandon it.

nightez

Banned
The best console of last gen. After the severe drought of games that we had with the N64, a Nintendo console with a decent library. I often had a hard time time catching up with all the games. So many classics Eternal Darkness, the Metroid Prime series, RE remake and RE4, Zelda wind waker, Zelda Twilight Princess, F-zero GX, Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Smash Bros, Paoper Marios, FF Crystal Chronicles, Rogue Squadron, Battalion Wars, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Chibi Robo, Baiten Katos, Skiess of Arcadia, Mario Golf, Pikmin 2, Tales of Symphonia, Ikaruga, P.N.03 to name only a few. I often had a hard time keeping up with all the games, too many good times coming out

Link said:
I love this logic.

"I never played it, but the games sure did suck."
I didn't play it because the games sucked. If there were games that made me want to play it, I sure as hell would have.

SOLDIER

What I'd like to know is why so many people are so sure that Nintendo is going to win this generation with the Wii, given the track record of their last two systems. How do you know the same mistakes or lack of third party support won't happen again? The Wii lineup this year doesn't look very reassuring.

The GC was a far better system than the 64, but ultimately its death was far more tragic. They didn't have an excuse this time, they had the technology to go almost toe to toe with PS2 and XB. A tragic waste of potential. I hope the same doesn't happen with the Wii (which has the unfortunate setback of not being nearly as powerful as its current competition).

jarrod

Banned
TheIkariWarrior said:
the original GameCube itself... is it really dead yet? the Dreamcast "lived" for over 8 years.
It'll likely get multiplatform licensed movie/sports/kids fare through the year from EA/THQ/Ubi/etc. It won't be seeing releases after that though, unlike Dreamcast's quickie Naomi port overs.

Dreamcast production halted in Q1 2001, just over 3 years after initial release. GameCube's outlasted that by a good 2 years really.

Core407 said:
I don't think you're going to be seeing any new GCN games so yes, it is dead.
There's a few announced releases left actually...

Backyard Baseball 2007 (Atari)
Cars 2 (THQ)
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2K Games)
Madden NFL 08 (EA Sports)
Meet the Robinsons (Disney Interactive)
Radio Allergy (O~3 Entertainment)
Ratatouille (THQ)
TMNT (Ubisoft)

...a little better than Xbox 1 has it in fact...

Major League Baseball 2K7 (2K Sports)
Medal of Honor: Airborne (EA Games)

...or Dreamcast...

Karous (Milestone)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
_leech_ said:
I'm predicting late 2008, at the earliest.
Didn't production for the PS1 stop only like a year ago? I'd say 2009 at earliest but I wouldn't be surprised by 2010 or even 2011.

UncleGuito said:
I didn't play it because the games sucked. If there were games that made me want to play it, I sure as hell would have.
I'm the same way. I HATE pizza. That shit is so nasty. Nevermind that I never actually tried it but I still know it sucks.

jarrod said:
It'll likely get multiplatform licensed movie/sports/kids fare through the year from EA/THQ/Ubi/etc. It won't be seeing releases after that though, unlike Dreamcast's quickie Naomi port overs.

Dreamcast production halted in Q1 2001, just over 3 years after initial release. GameCube's outlasted that by a good 2 years really.

There's a few announced releases left actually...

Backyard Baseball 2007 (Atari)
Cars 2 (THQ)
Meet the Robinsons (Disney Interactive)
Radio Allergy (O~3 Entertainment)
Ratatouille (THQ)
TMNT (Ubisoft)

...a little better than Xbox 1 has it in fact...

Major League Baseball 2K7 (2K Sports)
Medal of Honor: Airborne (EA Games)

...or Dreamcast...

Karous (Milestone)

Of course, all of those GC games except for Radio Allergy and Madden are movie liscences, so that's not saying a lot... (Oh yes, and isn't "two years" more accurate for the DC? October/November 1998 to January 2001 system production... though of course games did continue to come out until about December 2001 in the US, and longer in Japan.)

Saoh

great console with terrible fate. i loved you GCN.

and i still have 16 games of yours, now being played on the Wii.

UncleGuito said:

...says the guy who claims it was "plagued with Mario remakes". How many Mario remakes were on the Cube? Oh, that's right--NONE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in any case, it wasn't "plagued" with them.

Leondexter said:
...says the guy who claims it was "plagued with Mario remakes". How many Mario remakes were on the Cube? Oh, that's right--NONE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in any case, it wasn't "plagued" with them.
You know what I mean by remakes- I was trying to say that there are a shitton of spin-offs.

If you want me to list them I will.

Anyways, my major gripe was the system was a lack of third party support. Nintendo pushed out stuff that was familiar to them, like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, but other than that, I didn't have much fun.

Shard said:
Was I the only one who wasn't adverse to buying 3rd party multiplatform titles on the Cube?

I bought a lot of them--the Cube had the best controller, best image quality, shortest load times, and fastest memory card access. Unless there was a good reason not to (like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2), I'd usually get the Cube version.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Another question, is naybody else here still palnning on picking up Cube games even in the face of the death of the system, there are still a fe games that I need to buy.

Jokeropia

Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 were the three best games of the last generation. (Not counting Twilight Princess.)
SOLDIER said:
What I'd like to know is why so many people are so sure that Nintendo is going to win this generation with the Wii, given the track record of their last two systems.
Well, for starters it sold seven times as much as the Gamecube in it's first January in the US, and exceeded the entire first year total of the Gamecube in Japan after 11 weeks.
UncleGuito said:
Anyways, my major gripe was the system was a lack of third party support. Nintendo pushed out stuff that was familiar to them, like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, but other than that, I didn't have much fun.
RE4?

SOLDIER

People these days really focus too much on sales numbers as evidence. Those sales don't mean jack if the Wii still won't get enough third party support. There are plenty of great games that sell poorly, too. The numbers only matter in determining a sequel for a game, but that's it, in my opinion.

Jokeropia

SOLDIER said:
People these days really focus too much on sales numbers as evidence.
Haha, but getting the most sales is what's generally considered "winning".
SOLDIER said:
Those sales don't mean jack if the Wii still won't get enough third party support
But if it sells the most, it will get the largest installed base, which results in great third party support.
UncleGuito said:
Non-exclusive. I could play that on my PS2 instead of the GC- there wasn't anything keeping me from doing so.
The GC version is superior. If you already had a Cube there was no reason to get the PS2 version.

Grayman

Jokeropia said:
Haha, but getting the most sales is what's generally considered "winning".
But if it sells the most, it will get the largest installed base, which results in great third party support.
The GC version is superior. If you already had a Cube there was no reason to get the PS2 version.
what if you like the dual shock more than a wave bird?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SOLDIER said:
The GC was a far better system than the 64, but ultimately its death was far more tragic. They didn't have an excuse this time, they had the technology to go almost toe to toe with PS2 and XB. A tragic waste of potential. I hope the same doesn't happen with the Wii (which has the unfortunate setback of not being nearly as powerful as its current competition).

There were plenty of excuses as to why GC failed. From the stance of someone who doesn't care about Nintendo systems, you could obviously look at it and say "just like the N64 it had mario, zelda, etc. lol". But without taking into account quality, as well as plenty of other factors, you can't really make any rational judgements.

Sure, GC had better graphics, and sound (that should be expected), and a couple more RPGs than the N64, but that's where the strengths end.

Well, the success and backwards compatibility of the Wii makes the passing of the Gamecube a little anticlimactic.

The library was a little thin, but there were some very good games on the little purple lunchbox. I may have favored the PS2 a bit more overall, but the Gamecube offered my favorite moments of last gen.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
My GameCube is still alive thanks to my substantial backlog. All the same, though, I give the Cube my regards.

l_img277.jpg

Leatherface

tedtropy said:
Gamecube, you gave me RE4 and Metroid Prime. If just for that alone you will forever sit in that odd little spot in my entertainment center where nothing else quite fits. Also, because I bought your damn component cable.

gamingsetup1bdq6.jpg

true dat my friend. lol

At least you didn't buy the componant cable AND a network adapter. =_(

Link

The Autumn Wind
UncleGuito said:
Didn't feel like digging the system out just to play that game when I could play it on my PS2 that was sitting right in front of me. Plus, I like the PS2 controller better.
Haha. Whatever, dude.

Jokeropia

UncleGuito said:
Didn't feel like digging the system out just to play that game when I could play it on my PS2 that was sitting right in front of me.
Pfft, lazy. :p

Something I always wondered about people preferring Dual Shock, though. It has the d-pad instead of the analog stick in the primary position! Nintendo, Sega and MS all do it the right way, why can't Sony?
SOLDIER said:
In theory.
Uh, that's how things have always worked, it's how they're working right now and there's no reason to assume it won't continue working like that in the future. You see, third parties want to sell their games to as many people as possible.

gwiz210

An amazing console. I dont know why there was so much hate, it might have been because of Nintendo's online bashing or the focus on gba connectivity. So many wonderful games, but in the end most of them were upgrades from their n64 versions(cept' Zelda)

Mario Sunshine- I faked sick out of school one day to play you, it was worth it
Animal Crossing- I expected a short simple game, i got an addiction
StarFox Assault- Ignoring the reviews and bad rep, one of the greatest multiplayer experiences on the cube.
Viewtiful Joe- Original and beautiful. Shows that old concepts can be adapted to modern games.
Sonic Adventure 2- The best of the 3d sonics even though thats not saying much. Very fun, love city escapes music.
F-Zero GX- Completely blew me away. Feels more next-gen than the "next-gen" games were playing now.
Zelda Wind Waker- My favorite art style in a game ever. The massive ocean, creative characters and fun secrets made this one of my favorite games ever.
Mario Kart- I remember the co-op me and a buddy used to play....good times.
1080 avalanche- Got this just because I was curious-- loved it
Soul Caliber 2- Link was a great bonus but the game overall is engageing and fun.
Kirby Air Ride- City Trial, nuff' said
Super Smash Bros Melee- Im still the "Smash King" according to my smash bros friends.

...an era ends but another begins. The Wii is showing a wonderful future for the Nintendo console legacy...the gcn may just be dust in the wind now but theres light at the end of this tunnel.

cvxfreak

UncleGuito said:
Didn't feel like digging the system out just to play that game when I could play it on my PS2 that was sitting right in front of me. Plus, I like the PS2 controller better.

That's less of a shortcoming of the GC and more of a fault of your laziness. The controls on the PS2 are less precise too. Oh well, at least you played RE4. Everyone needs to play it.

gamecube was the system i played most with my friends, so much Double Dash and Smash Brothers..

wasnt there a VGcats comic about the gamecube death?

Link

The Autumn Wind
_leech_ said:
I thought graphics didn't matter?
He's referring to the guy who waited 10 months to play the PS2 version because he didn't want to "plug in" his GC. All while saying the GC didn't have any games that interest him. He's just trolling, as usual.

black_13

Banned
Sorry but I don't see how anyone could even shed a single tear for this news.

And N!N better have learned something from the Cube, lack of 3rd party titles/shitty online play might not affect sales a lot in the first six months but after that you need that kind of stuff to keep it going.
The way I see it, not only is the lack of power in the Wii stopping third party developers to even do a simple port, but the different sense of controls is going to make it even harder for 3rd party developers to even bother making games for it.

Lobster

Banned
Good news guys! You can apparently trade your GC in (+ a lil extra) for a new console that also plays GC games! GC IS THE SAVED!

Top Bottom