• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funeral-Age: R.I.P Gamecube. We did love you

Shard said:
Another question, is naybody else here still palnning on picking up Cube games even in the face of the death of the system, there are still a fe games that I need to buy.

My GameCube backlog is enormous. Unfortunately, I can never find any of the games I want when Wal-Mart/Kmart/etc. puts them on firesale.

mikeGFG

Banned
Hated, hated, hated the games; loathed the cheap, clicky, fugly-ass controller; and Nintendo's 'For Everyone Experience' (and many other boneheaded corporate moves) didnt mesh with me whatsoever. With that said, the Gamecube fufilled my expectations and went on to become the greatest Super Smash Bros. Melee device ever assembled.

And just like the Gamecube before it, I will purchase a Wii for Smash Bros. because I truly could not care less for the announced line-up.

Goodnight, sweet purple lunchbox. I still keep mine because I can't play Naruto 4 on my Wii.

Wait, they're still making it? Why?

Looking back on it. There were only 4 things i loved about the cube:

1) Capcom (K7, RE, etc)
2) F-zero GX
3) Super Smash Bros Melee (multiplayer marathon bliss)
4) Ikaruga

Other than that, i feel nothing else was memorable of the 40 or so title i own.....

linsivvi

So long as Wii has those 4 Gamecube controller ports and can switch itself into Gamecube mode, I don't consider it dead.

Jokeropia

black_13 said:
And N!N better have learned something from the Cube, lack of 3rd party titles/shitty online play might not affect sales a lot in the first six months but after that you need that kind of stuff to keep it going.
Uh, the Cube didn't exactly sell well in the first six months. In fact, it dropped like a rock after a few weeks in Japan and after two months in NA.
black_13 said:
but the different sense of controls is going to make it even harder for 3rd party developers to even bother making games for it.
:lol

dose

Ranger X said:
What the fuck with Perrin. What the fuck.
God she is sooo shit.
First the region-free bullshit, now this. All her interviews are rubbish. Sack her Nintendo, ffs.

CoryCubed

It's true they could still be supporting it, just not actually producing any systems. Don't they still provide support (like hookingup and basic troubleshooting) for NES and their other legacy systems?

Pakkidis

Games that I have owned and beaten. I thought the system had some amazing games for it.

Roque Leader
Luigi’s Mansion
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Super Smash Bros.: Melee
Super Monkey Ball
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4
Sega Soccer Slam
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
Timesplitters 2
Legend of Zelda: Masters Quest
Splinter Cell
Skies of Arcadia Legend
F zero gx
Soul Calibur 2
Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Medal of Honor Frontline
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Beyond Good and Evil
Metal Arms: Glitch in the system
Paper Mario
Tales of Symphonia
Star Fox Adventures
Lord of The Rings: The return of the king
Spider Man 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Splinter Cell 3: Caos Theory
Zelda:twilight princess

Odrion

Banned
Wasn't this thing dead since Resident Evil 4?

Well anyways, Rest in Peace, you certainly live on in our hearts and my Gameboy Player.

Your controller was terrible though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Gamecube was a sweet piece of hardware. It bugs me that it was fighting for third place with the xbox.

I blame Nintendo... who can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to supporting and promoting third party development

Mike G.E.D. said:
Hated, hated, hated the games; loathed the cheap, clicky, fugly-ass controller; and Nintendo's 'For Everyone Experience' (and many other boneheaded corporate moves) didnt mesh with me whatsoever. With that said, the Gamecube fufilled my expectations and went on to become the greatest Super Smash Bros. Melee device ever assembled.

And just like the Gamecube before it, I will purchase a Wii for Smash Bros. because I truly could not care less for the announced line-up.

Thank you for that. Thank you.

Roi

cvxfreak said:
Reggie and UK spokesperson vs. Perrin

22956_13ca51b9.jpg

NPC

I wonder...maybe it's Kaplan's job to send a wave of retarded confusion at Ngaf? Everything she says is always wrong! :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
My favorite memory of the GCN was the discovery of the name by IGN.

What happened was that someone discovered a holding company on the East Coast registering a bunch of trademarks for the US names of the GBA Pokemon. But there were also some trademarks like "GameCube" "Cube" and "GCN". What Nintendo did was hire this holding company to register the names so fanboys searching Nintendo trademarks couldn't find them.

IGN discovered this and Matt even picked up the phone and called the holding company and said "Hi Nintendo, it's Matt I have something to talk to you about" :lol

They then printed the story that the new Nintendo console would be called GameCube and EVERYONE said they were full of shit. DailyRadar printed a story saying their "sources" confirmed it was still called StarCube with a online service called StarRoad. And I remember john_tv sending me a pm in IRC asking if I really believed it was called GameCube :lol

Surfheart

Farewell Cube, I loved your purpleness and your awesome handle!

While I've traded away most of your competitors games, I've kept pretty much all of yours, pure gold every single one.

Edit: Hey you guys is it true that Ninty are going to still manufacture the cube controllers?

Leondexter said:
I thought Daily Radar became IGN...?
IGN started as seperate sites for each console, but consolidated into one site (IGN) in 1998.
Daily Radar didn't go away until 2001. I think Games Radar is the new Daily Radar.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I can't bear to part with my GC (I have the rather lovely RE4 special edition), even though I have a Wii that of course now takes over, a fantastic console, cruelly overlooked because of the past foilbles of the N64, thankfully Nintendo had a few aces still left up their sleeves (The GBA and pokévil) otherwise would could have been moruning the loss of two console legends instead of just one this gen.

The GameCube is dead, Long live the GameCube! (Via Wii!:)

santouras

Gahiggidy said:
Its back! BiTCH3S!!!
dance4nintendo.gif

Seriously, though... you guys think this may have been a deliberate move into tricking Sony into ceasing PS2 production?
no

also kapplin needs to get her facts straight, she screwed up about region coding which I don't think anyone forgives her for

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
Gahiggidy said:
Its back! BiTCH3S!!!
dance4nintendo.gif

Seriously, though... you guys think this may have been a deliberate move into tricking Sony into ceasing PS2 production?
what?:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom