• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funeral-Age: R.I.P Gamecube. We did love you

ElectricBlue187 said:
Sorry if I interrupted the nintenluv session.

this is a funeral. check out all the black suits and tears around!

btw, which GC is the one that will appear in the coffins? purple, black, silver, orange or a LE model?

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Are people with an undying hatred for the system allowed to attend the funeral service? I may do an Irish jig on top of its casket. Anyway, good riddance; the DS more than makes up for this, Nintendo's biggest mistake.

Edit: Plus, I can't be the only one who felt that the GC versions of Nintendo's most beloved franchises were uninspired and lame compared to its previous consoles.

Mar

I don't care how many games it didn't have. It had one of the best ever released so it made it worth it.

monkeyball.jpg

Barf_the_Mog said:
Are people with an undying hatred for the system allowed to attend the funeral service? I may do an Irish jig on top of its casket. Anyway, good riddance; the DS more than makes up for this, Nintendo's biggest mistake.
We all know how big Virtual Boy was... Had way better games then the Gc... Oh and the deal with Phillips, or how about that cool HDD thing for the 64. That was nifty too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really hope they dont stop making Gamecube controllers...otherwise I'd have to go used when I get a Wii.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
I am tired of reading all the people that talks crap about Gamecube.

Do you prefer the third partie situation of N64 over the GCN one?

Do you prefer to wait months waiting for a decent game?

If you are a N64 lover the answer is yes.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I just bought Paper Mario 2 and Chibi Robo, so the lil' fella isn't dead yet. Then again I'll probably play them on the Wii now that I have a working freeloader.

I take it back, RIP.

sphinx

the piano man
I am not sure how longer can my gamecube last before I trade it for a Wii.

if metroid prime 3 gets delayed til 2008, It will have a full year of life in it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
chubigans said:
I really hope they dont stop making Gamecube controllers...otherwise I'd have to go used when I get a Wii.

One thing that sort of irks me about the Wii: why didn't it have an integrated Wavebird receiver? Does the little access door even close when you have the receiver plugged in? I can't imagine the part costing all that much to include...

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Nightbringer said:
I am tired of reading all the people that talks crap about Gamecube.

Do you prefer the third partie situation of N64 over the GCN one?

Do you prefer to wait months waiting for a decent game?

If you are a N64 lover the answer is yes.

I'm an N64 lover, no doubt. The third party situation on the GC absolutely sucked when compared to the PS2. I'll admit, RE4 on the GC was amazing; perhaps one of the best gaming experiences of my life. However, sparse exclusive third party releases, coupled with
, what I feel was
substandard Nintendo games doomed the system. It was Nintendo's weakest console, in my opinion.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think it died the day TP came out, but I hope they keep on making Cube controllers because it will never be truly dead as long as the Wii lives.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
My Gamecube Collection (with some Wii and DS games):

PHTO0011.jpg

PHTO0012.jpg

And my collection isn´t complete it lacks:

-Pikmin 2
-Luigi´s Mansion
-Baten Kaitos
-Baten Kaitos II
-Skies of Arcadia
-Ikaruga

I know that I am going to get a hard time trying to find all these games.

EDIT: Sorry for scaring you with my ugly myself.

Oh Gamecube. I love you. I still have more games for you than I do that silly PS2, and let's not even talk about that weird Xbox. You get a bad rap, but you're the most fun I've ever had with a video game system.

From that Spaceworld reveal so long ago, you've given me butterflies. It's funny, I can almost smell the cheap perfume on the Japanese models touting you around like you were nothing more than a glorified lunch box. But deep down, I knew. I knew the naysayers were wrong. I knew you would deliver inspired content that I couldn't get anywhere else, and oh did you deliver.

And the multiplayer, OH THE MULTIPLAYER. Those four controller ports were taken advantage of too many times to count.

You managed to get a Metal Gear Solid, and a Final Fantasy! I was so proud of you then, so full of hope. I didn't care about the questionable quality of cutscenes, or the amount of equipment required to enjoy these things. The fact that you ran them was good enough for me.

R.I.P little buddy, you will be missed (but not really, because you still live under my TV).

Haunted

I'll just post a huge ass cover to one of the greatest GC games, because no one mentioned it yet.

boxart_pal_fire-emblem-path-of-radiance.jpg

*pours one for the 'cube*

El Papa

tedtropy said:
Gamecube, you gave me RE4 and Metroid Prime. If just for that alone you will forever sit in that odd little spot in my entertainment center where nothing else quite fits. Also, because I bought your damn component cable.

gamingsetup1bdq6.jpg

That looks like an IKEA entertainment center.

Parl

The ****?! GameCube commited suicide out of jealousy of its younger sister. Meh, I love the GC though. R.I.P.

I've still got several GameCube games I'm playing, and I want to get Baten Kaitos Origins. And no one mentioned one of the greatest multiplayer games ever made, yet.

B00024D1LY.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just played through it again recently with friends. I had forgotten most of it, so it was like playing it the first time, and we were so sad when we beat it. Tried to replace it with Crystal Chronicles (which me and my old girlfriend played long ago), but after several attempts to pick each other up and derive some enjoyment from it, we found it didn't hold up.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
starfoxadfin_092202_35.jpg

Starfox Adventures was quite pretty, but boy was the game itself a crap collect-a-thon...

Ranger X

If we homage the Gamecube good enough maybe Nintendo would be kind with us and put Mario Power Tennis in the player's choice selection?

YA HEAR ME NINTENDO?

rdellw

Pokeylongo said:
I've still got several GameCube games I'm playing, and I want to get Baten Kaitos Origins. And no one mentioned one of the greatest multiplayer games ever made, yet.

B00024D1LY.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just played through it again recently with friends. I had forgotten most of it, so it was like playing it the first time, and we were so sad when we beat it. Tried to replace it with Crystal Chronicles (which me and my old girlfriend played long ago), but after several attempts to pick each other up and derive some enjoyment from it, we found it didn't hold up.
This. I just got it today and am playing single player on my Wii. It is excellent and would say it gave me more of that Zelda feeling than Twilight Princess did so far. At the very least its a kickass 2D Zelda on the Gamecube.

Gamecube was a pretty bad system, but we should still look at it like we'd look at the local jerk dying of old age. There were the finer moments.

....nothing on Xbox or PS2 could give me what Metroid Prime 1 and 2 did. The resident evil collection re-released and then re-invented....F-zero GX and it's totally awesome awesomeness....Smash Bros which I still play to this day. *tear*

....I'd say the only developer that really didn't deliver was EAD. I don't have anything good to say about Mario Sunshine, TWW, or Double Dash other than that they were the worst and most uninspired of their series. Pikmin 2 and Luigi's Mansion were awesome.

JB1981

blame space said:
Oh Gamecube. I love you. I still have more games for you than I do that silly PS2, and let's not even talk about that weird Xbox. You get a bad rap, but you're the most fun I've ever had with a video game system.

From that Spaceworld reveal so long ago, you've given me butterflies. It's funny, I can almost smell the cheap perfume on the Japanese models touting you around like you were nothing more than a glorified lunch box. But deep down, I knew. I knew the naysayers were wrong. I knew you would deliver inspired content that I couldn't get anywhere else, and oh did you deliver.

And the multiplayer, OH THE MULTIPLAYER. Those four controller ports were taken advantage of too many times to count.

You managed to get a Metal Gear Solid, and a Final Fantasy! I was so proud of you then, so full of hope. I didn't care about the questionable quality of cutscenes, or the amount of equipment required to enjoy these things. The fact that you ran them was good enough for me.

R.I.P little buddy, you will be missed (but not really, because you still live under my TV).

*vomit*

Surfheart

rdellw said:
This. [pic of 4 swords]
I just got it today and am playing single player on my Wii. It is excellent and would say it gave me more of that Zelda feeling than Twilight Princess did so far. At the very least its a kickass 2D Zelda on the Gamecube.

I've always been tempted to pick this up but wondered if its worth it just for single player (I have no friends)

Also, do you need a GBA inorder to play it?

PkunkFury said:
but... but... are there enough on shelves to close the gap????

Xbox --, 14.5mm
Gamecube 34k, 11.7mm
What are the worldwide sales of Xbox vs. GC?

My Top 10 GC games:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
5. Resident Evil 4
6. Mario Kart Double Dash
7. Super Mario Sunshine
8. F-Zero GX
9. Resident Evil Remake
10. Warioware Inc. Mega Party Games

:D

Cosmozone

Wow, the posted pics reminded me that I still have to play a lot of Gamecube titles, including Paper Mario and Pikmin 1+2, (and PS2 ones, too). But I'm on holiday right now, yay! Project backlog can begin!

john tv

The little lunchbox that could...n't.

Still had a batch of really awesome games that I'm glad can still be played on my Wii. Games like:

- Mario Sunshine
- Zelda: WW, CE, Four Swords
- Metroid Prime 1 and 2
- Resident Evil 4 (and 0, 1, 2, 3, CV)
- Tales of Symphonia
- Baten Kaitos 1 and 2 (Origins)
- Fire Emblem: PoR
- Paper Mario: TTYD
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Skies of Arcadia Legends
- F-Zero GX

And a few others. Good times, good times.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Man. If only there were a way for the Wii to emulate the GBA connectivity for 4 Swords and CC through wireless to a DS.

Are either of those games worth going through single player?

the N64 was better overall except for the series that were absent on N64 looking at it from the Nintendo-gaming angle.

from the 3rd party angle, it was better than the N64.

sphinx

the piano man
Surfheart said:
I've always been tempted to pick this up but wondered if its worth it just for single player (I have no friends)

Also, do you need a GBA inorder to play it?

single player is an absolute piece of crap. I am dead serious, DO NOT buy it thinking you'll get a substantial, real Zelda 2d single player adventure. The game was meant to be played on multiplayer, period. If you don't have at least 2 more friends, 2 more gameboys and 2 more link cables, forget about this game.

it's just a bunch of numbered levels ( 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 boss. 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 boss, repeat until world 7 or 8 I think ) and each time you begin each stage you lose the heart containers, weapons and items. The game is just not fun.

it can be played with the normal controller.

Top Bottom