• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 2 - Review Thread

Eurogamer - Recommended
I'm still not entirely sure I have the measure of Star Fox 2. It's so inventive and freewheeling, and so eager to throw in unexpected ideas and try new things. There's something so nice about playing it like this, though, a strange and compact universe stuck on a strange and compact device. It's so odd to pick up the SNES Mini and discover how light it is. Really. I mean, how can it weigh so little when it's got the Mirage Dragon in there?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-27-star-fox-2-review

NintendoWorldReport - 9
Going into Star Fox 2, I didn’t know what to expect. I had heard whispers of the beta over the years but mostly stayed away from checking it out in any major way. After getting my hands on it after so long, I’m earnestly crestfallen that this didn’t come out as originally intended. This is a daring, unique game that is a little rough around the edges in the modern context, but still holds up as a long lost classic Nintendo game. Despite missing out on two decades of nostalgia, Star Fox 2 is every bit as essential as the majority of the SNES Classic’s library and the world of Nintendo is better for having this game out in the wild for all to play.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/45546/star-fox-2-review

Nintendo Life - 8
Star Fox 2 is unique in the world of video gaming; a AAA title that has to be assessed without the comforting memories of playing it in your misspent youth. Would it have made a bigger splash back in 1995, if Nintendo hadn't blinked in the face of Sony and Sega's graphically potent 32-bit systems? We're not sure we can categorically answer that question to everyone's satisfaction, but what we do know is that this 22-year-old relic is worth owning a SNES Mini for, and may well surprise you with its depth, complexity and challenge – so long as you're not expecting a straight sequel to the original.
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/snes/star_fox_2

IGN - 5
Star Fox 2 has some beautiful, totally 90s moments, and is an ambitious mash up of an RTS and a 3D shooter. But it’s just too damn annoying to play. Those control and frame rate problems make Star Fox 2 the worst game in the SNES Classic Edition. While others in the collection have controls and graphics that didn’t age well (Super Mario Kart and F-Zero come to mind), Star Fox 2 is the roughest of the bunch. Looking back, it probably deserved to be cancelled. But it also deserved to see the light of day, and I’m glad I got to play this piece of gaming history.
http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2017/09/27/star-fox-2-review

Metro
The whole game is barely keeping up with the ambitions of its designers, but they somehow manage to pull things off and despite it all we did enjoy Star Fox 2. It is a curio more than it is a lost classic, but that’s absolutely fine given the context. It’s by no means the most entertaining game on the Classic Mini SNES, but in many ways it’s the most interesting.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/27/star-fox-2-review-the-sequel-that-never-was-6959742/amp/

suicreeps

Because it's a new game?

I understand that but using current rating metrics for a game that was completed 20 years ago with limitations doesn’t really give off what it’s worth. Most people are going to be playing this along with the others for the feel of them alone and not the actual enjoyability.

This is what I'm most excited about the SNES classic for. I hope it can be dumped for play on actual SNES hardware too since all those existing repros out there don't use the final retail code.

It's so inventive and freewheeling, and so eager to throw in unexpected ideas and try new things

Tell that to Star Fox Command, and Zero.

At least I hope putting this game for public finally makes the dog and lynx characters came back in the future. If there is a star fox game in the future that is.

GeekyDad

The descriptions of the game sound a lot like what they ended up doing with Star Fox Command DS. I had a lot of fun with that game, actually.

So this game is from the timeline where this:

End4-2.png

doesn't happen?

Is this the longest time between a games completion and it's official release?

Either way this game is one of the biggest reasons I'm trying to get my hands on the SNES classic.

Big One

Banned
Because it's a new game?
Are you guys really going to continue pretending nobody has played this before? It's been on the internet for over ten years now. Anyone that has ever pirated old roms on an emulator that was interested has likely played this game in some capacity.

Are you guys really going to continue pretending nobody has played this before? It's been on the internet for over ten years now. Anyone that has ever pirated old roms on an emulator that was interested has likely played this game in some capacity.
It was never officially released... It never officially got reviews... It's not rocket science.

Like it or not, Star Fox 2 is a 2017 game. It is eligible for the 2017 GotY awards.

Not that it matters for the current point, but it's been stated before that the version of the ROM that's been on the internet for ever is not the final, completed build of the game.

Berordn

Review outlets have never been provided press copies. We've been told before that the leaked copies weren't final.

It's not like you commonly see coverage of game prototypes outside of enthusiast sites.

The descriptions of the game sound a lot like what they ended up doing with Star Fox Command DS. I had a lot of fun with that game, actually.

Its really similar.
But actually Star Fox 2 excels in having some parts on rails still, something that command only had for the final boss (and something that sadly that game got wrong).

I really want to know if they fixed some of the error of the final prototype.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I understand that but using current rating metrics for a game that was completed 20 years ago with limitations doesn’t really give off what it’s worth. Most people are going to be playing this along with the others for the feel of them alone and not the actual enjoyability.

And if a reviewer is good at their job, they'll be taking that into account when writing the review.

Recall

Or maybe don't take things so seriously?

No one said they've never played it, all that is being recognised is it's official release and therefore available to be officially reviewed.

Big One

Banned
It was never officially released... It never officially got reviews... It's not rocket science.
That isn't what I'm referring to. There's no issue with the reviews themselves just that this mentality that it's a "new game" when the game has been on the internet for years now.

ZeoVGM

Banned

That has literally no importance.

And it wasn't the final version of the game.

And the majority of people who will be buying this over the holidays have no idea what a ROM is.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

The version leaked online is a much earlier build from before a lot of the features present in the final game were implemented.

I understand that but using current rating metrics for a game that was completed 20 years ago with limitations doesn't really give off what it's worth. Most people are going to be playing this along with the others for the feel of them alone and not the actual enjoyability.

I actually think it's going to review better now than it would've 20 years ago. If this was released back in 1995, it would have been butchered by reviewers in the face of better looking, smother playing 3D games on the Playstation and the Saturn.

Reviewing it now gives it that bit of retro charm that probably will give it a bit of leniency from reviewers.

Top Bottom