• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 2 - Review Thread

I dunno, I played the original Star Fox to completion over the summer and I think it still holds up. The only thing that keeps it from being a masterpiece in my eyes is that Route 3's bosses have some really cheap tactics (mainly whenever the camera zooms in and it becomes impossible to dodge their girth).

Looking forward to judging Star Fox 2 on its own merits. Regardless of its quality, it's beyond awesome we get to play something that never saw the light of day.

Celine

Like I said, it's an intriguing curiosity at best. Nearly all of the other games in the package have aged just fine.

I disagree, I find that game unplayable. Stunt Race FX is the same. At some point the technical hurdles are too much to overcome these days.
The other games aged fine because they are rendered at 60 fps and SNES d-pad is ideal for 2D gameplay, not so much for 3D gameplay.
However while Starfox 2's graphics looks superior compared to the original game and Stunt Race FX, it also has better framerate (I believe Nintendo's framerate target to be 20fps with some dips for Starfox 2) which should make Starfox 2 more playable than Stunt Race FX and Starfox.

Moose84

That IGN score! To be fair their scores have been much lower than the average for a while now. They gave Mario + Rabbids a 7.7 and the Switch itself, a device everyone adores, a 7. Hmmm

How old is the IGN reviewer? The way he shits on the mode 7 and Star Fox games in comparison to the other titles on the system feels very uneven.

Wow at that IGN review (maybe it should have been cancelled and maybe it shouldn't have...okay)

The ironic thing is that if you think about it, in a matter of speaking, Star Fox 2 will definitely outsell lifetime sales of Star Fox Zero. Perhaps a classic SF revival isn't out of the cards yet...

Christian

I don't really care about reviews anymore, I'm way beyond it now, but fuck IGN. Seriously. F-Zero and Mario Kart don't age well? Horse puckey!

mcmmaster

Before you take anything IGN says seriously...

IGN.gif

IGN literally reviewing Star Fox 2 as though it should be compared to today's software. Just doesn't read right.

Imagine their review of the original Super Mario Bros? Poor graphics and mono sound and brings nothing new to the table that we haven't seen in the New Super Mario Bros series.

Rellik

I don't really care about reviews anymore, I'm way beyond it now, but fuck IGN. Seriously. F-Zero and Mario Kart don't age well? Horse puckey!

Mario Kart didn't age well.

Another review thread where people cry over an opinion a meaningless number.

I'm sad that people are now saying that the first (and best!) Star Fox game sucks now. :( It's the only Star Fox game that put emphasis in dodging things and flying instead of simply just shooting, and it had an amazing soundtrack to go with it.

Such as ? What is the differences between the prototype and the version in the SNES Classic?

Well for one, you can't die in the prototype one, lol. And based on footage we've seen, certain power-ups are given to you too early, like the lock-on beam is supposed to be an unlockable or something. The prototype was definitely made easier overall.

IGN's score is the only one honest. By any modern standard, this game looks like it plays like garbage. SF2 is an intriguing curiosity but not much more than that.

I disagree. I like Star Fox 2 a whole lot and the final game is my most anticipated game right now. I think everyone should play it because it's really neat and puts forth a bunch of cool ideas. The controls aren't that bad and the graphics are serviceable, but the only modern standard I do agree it definitely falls on is the frame rate. I personally don't mind the capped 20 FPS, but it's not hard to see how others could.

ajjow

I was an avid gamer in the 90s, but i cant playbstor fox today. Mario kart is unplayable too.

But fzero!?!! Its super straight foward. Really IGN!? Thats pushing too far...

Regiruler

Reviewing games from a modern perspective is absolutely how it should be done because it's releasing this year, for people to buy.

My favorite game that I've played this year is Soldier Blade from 1992 on Wii U vc, with absolutely no concessions for its age (it's straight up that amazing to play).

The Hermit

I’ve been saying this for years: Super Mario Kart has terrible controls. It’s awful compared to what is out now. It is easily the biggest rose-colored glasses game on GAF.

I played last week with friends. Most of them don't care about games, find them too complicated these days and we had a blast.

And if it wasn't for the awful framerate, Star Fox would be considered just as good as Star Fox 64

RRockman

Banned
I’ve been saying this for years: Super Mario Kart has terrible controls. It’s awful compared to what is out now. It is easily the biggest rose-colored glasses game on GAF.

You mean besides Super Metroid? everything about that game is great except for the crappy controls.

Regiruler

Sightly off topic but - saying Super Mario Kart and F-Zero have controls that have aged poorly?

Lord have mercy. This retro revisionism is getting way out of hand.
If super Mario kart handles at all like the gba one in any capacity, I can absolutely see that it's aged terribly.

I've played F-Zero, it has aged decently. It's just a little too pinbally when you hit another car or mine etc.

pulsemyne

I'm sorry but super mario karts controls are fucking great. You can pull off ludicrously tight cornering. Same with F-zero. Both games still look and play brilliantly.

WillyFive

I'm glad people can experience the soundtrack of this game.

I'm sorry but super mario karts controls are fucking great. You can pull off ludicrously tight cornering. Same with F-zero. Both games still look and play brilliantly.

F-Zero still controls like a dream. SMK's handling however is a mess.

You mean besides Super Metroid? everything about that game is great except for the crappy controls.

At worst the grapple beam is a little clunky. The screw attack and wall jump might be too finicky, but they also were in later games. And the button lay-out is customizable unlike other Metroids, so...

I can't speak for Stunt Race as it's been years and years but I had a blast while playing the original Star Fox about a year ago.

Stunt Race is great if you're willing to accept very sluggish gameplay and like 3 fps. I had fun with it, but I would prefer to play it, um....a lot faster.

F-Zero holds up like a dream. I played a bit last year and the white knuckle intensity is still beyond basically every racer I've played in recent memory.

Total fucking masterpiece. And it's basically a tech demo. 😂

Woah dude. WOAH THERE. Kirby's Dream Course is one of the best local multiplayer games ever made.

Jeez didn't know it had that much a fanbse.

I was joking. Never even played it. I was probably going to ignore it if I got an SNES mini but seeing the defense for it I'm actually pretty interested now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is there a game Gamexplain does not like?

It's interesting as they do level quite a few complaints at the game throughout the review(dull objectives, dull levels, visuals, performance), but the real-time threat concept, technical scope, and novelty seemed to win them over. I kind of expected a more middling conclusion watching the video.

Jawmuncher

F-Zero holds up like a dream. I played a bit last year and the white knuckle intensity is still beyond basically every racer I've played in recent memory.

Total fucking masterpiece. And it's basically a tech demo. 😂

Yeah Fzero holds up extremely well. Especially compared to Mario Kart on the same system.

Star Fox 1 has aged really badly imo, so I'm not too optimistic about how much enjoyment I'm likely to get out of this one.

Going off of the leaked version I've played, I actually think Star Fox 2 has aged a lot better than the first one, if only because the more experimental nature makes it harder to find a modern comparison point.

(Mind you, I still think the framerate kind of ruins it)

Top Bottom