• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 2 - Review Thread

Are you guys really going to continue pretending nobody has played this before? It's been on the internet for over ten years now. Anyone that has ever pirated old roms on an emulator that was interested has likely played this game in some capacity.
Eurogamer mentioned it in their review.

Consider reading the review text, they’re actually quite good bits of writing that justify their own existence and portray a nuanced view of the game.

timberger

Star Fox 1 has aged really badly imo, so I'm not too optimistic about how much enjoyment I'm likely to get out of this one.

mazillion

This seems like a tricky one to review. Do you review it by modern standards or standards of 20 years ago? Ideally both but I think many won't do that.

Davey Cakes

Star Fox 1 has aged really badly imo, so I'm not too optimistic about how much enjoyment I'm likely to get out of this one.
The original Star Fox was a novel marvel of its time but it hasn't aged well at all. Despite being an N64 game (where early 3D become dated rather quickly), at least SF64 still has really smooth gameplay to make up for its other limitations.

I wouldn't expect SF2 to get "great" reviews in 2017. Mediocre to good, as the style just doesn't hold up. Recommending a game as a novelty or as a "for the fans" type of experience is different than recommending one outright as a must-play title.

SaiyanRaoh

Since we all know Nintendo won't make enough of the classic without fighting to possess one, has there been talk of someone from "the scene" ripping the rom so everyone can?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Such as ? What is the differences between the prototype and the version in the SNES Classic?

The prototype you see online is an Alpha Build that Aeon Genesis touched up to a state where they think it would be. It is missing the true multiplayer mode, it doesn't have the randomization of the All Range mode, and just in general is unpolished. It's an alpha build-the game is there but not completed.

Glowsquid

these are the differences I've been able to observe between the leaked proto of SF2 and the final game reported, from embargoed footage and the text of the reviews. There's probably much more that will be documented when it becomes available to the public

-The game in general is much harder: enemies are faster and more agressive, charge shots don't lock-on (!), missile impacts do much more damage to Corneria (1 missile = 20% damage on hard mode), etc.
-The end-of-game ranking is harsher and more clear (letter grades instead of star icons)
-Collecting the general pepper coins apparently does something

it doesn't have the randomization of the All Range mode,

Can you clarify what you mean? The prototype certainly does have randomized elements (planets, penultimate boss, etc).

hotcyder

I feel like to review this you're really going to have to do it from three positions:

A sequel to Starfox but before the release of Starfox 64; something close to objective.

As a game of its time - whether you roleplay the critical eye of a writer of that time (mentioning the fact that compared to Sony and Sega's efforts it's woefully rudimentary) or take more into account the game play over it's presentation.

Or; review it as it is - with 21 years of innovation between games today and it; or at least in regards to the performance and presentation of the other games bundled on the SNES mini.

Looking forward to finding out how it plays for myself come Friday.

jett

D-Member
IGN's score is the only one honest. By any modern standard, this game looks like it plays like garbage. SF2 is an intriguing curiosity but not much more than that.

muteki

Since we all know Nintendo won't make enough of the classic without fighting to possess one, has there been talk of someone from "the scene" ripping the rom so everyone can?

Someone posted about already dumping it in one of the SNES mini threads.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
these are the differences I've been able to observe between the leaked proto of SF2 and the final game reported, from embargoed footage and the text of the reviews. There's probably much more that will be documented when it becomes available to the public

-The game in general is much harder: enemies are faster and more agressive, charge shots don't lock-on (!), missile impacts do much more damage to Corneria (1 missile = 20% damage on hard mode), etc.
-The end-of-game ranking is harsher and more clear (letter grades instead of star icons)
-Collecting the general pepper coins apparently does something

Can you clarify what you mean? The prototype certainly does have randomzied maps for each playthrough.

I can't. Just going off what I have been told from someone who got a review unit. She just told me that it is more random feeling.

ZeoVGM

Banned
IGN's score is the only one honest. By any modern standard, this game looks like it plays like garbage. SF2 is an intriguing curiosity but not much more than that.

I mean, the original Star Fox is still a great game so if it feels close to that, it certainly won't play like garbage.

mazillion

Damn I was really hoping they'd bump the framerate to a respectable level. Authenticity be damned, give me playability.

I'm pretty hyped to actually play this. I've known of its existence for years but never touched the leaked version. It's super odd/great to me to see reviews for it though lol

Sightly off topic but - saying Super Mario Kart and F-Zero have controls that have aged poorly?

Lord have mercy. This retro revisionism is getting way out of hand.

Conezays

Sightly off topic but - saying Super Mario Kart and F-Zero have controls that's have aged poorly?

Seriously, F-Zero controls and looks fantastic for 1991; I've played it recently on my SNES as well. To each their own, I suppose.

SuomiDude

What's up with that 5 from IGN?
Probably the closest the game deserves. I've seen enough of the game to agree with IGN, the game looks bad (and no, I'm not talking about the graphics). It's almost nothing like Star Fox 1 and that game was (and is) good, so is Star Fox 64 (Lylat Wars), but Star Fox 2 was a weird experiment that went wrong.

jett

D-Member
Too much space lol

Why would you judge a game on a system and made 20 years ago by modern standards?

Like I said, it's an intriguing curiosity at best. Nearly all of the other games in the package have aged just fine.

I mean, the original Star Fox is still a great game so if it feels close to that, it certainly won't play like garbage.

I disagree, I find that game unplayable. Stunt Race FX is the same. At some point the technical hurdles are too much to overcome these days.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Probably the closest the game deserves. I've seen enough of the game to agree with IGN, the game looks bad (and no, I'm not talking about the graphics). It's almost nothing like Star Fox 1 and that game was (and is) good, so is Star Fox 64 (Lylat Wars), but Star Fox 2 was a weird experiment that went wrong.

Wait, so you've only seen the game but know that IGN was right and it was a weird experiment, despite the other reviews that are more positive than theirs?

Lunar15

Sightly off topic but - saying Super Mario Kart and F-Zero have controls that have aged poorly?

Dude I went back and played Super Mario Kart the other day and was shocked at how awful it felt. Maybe it's just a learning curve, but I'm just saying that I don't think this is an outrageous opinion.

Like I said, it's an intriguing curiosity at best. Nearly all of the other games in the package have aged just fine.

I disagree, I find that game unplayable. Stunt Race FX is the same. At some point the technical hurdles are too much to overcome these days.

I admit I haven't played Star Fox 1 in a while(hopefully I can get my hands on a mini and change that)but I have no idea how you can consider it unplayable. Has it aged yes but that's like saying a movie from the 90's is unwatchable because of bad CGI.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I can't speak for Stunt Race as it's been years and years but I had a blast while playing the original Star Fox about a year ago.

muteki

While I can certainly understand reviewing this from a modern standpoint just personally I don't think that makes for interesting reading.

jett

D-Member
I admit I haven't played Star Fox 1 in a while(hopefully I can get my hands on a mini and change that)but I have no idea how you can consider it unplayable. Has it aged yes but that's like saying a movie from the 90's is unwatchable because of bad CGI.

If the entire movie is composed of trash-tier CGI and is animated at single-digit framerates, then yes, that movie would be bad.

I definitely appreciate Star Fox being ahead of its time and doing stuff nobody had done in the console space, but it's a product of its time.

AdanVC

Watching videos of gameplay of this and it looks rough. I mean that's obvious, it's a freaking 1995 videogame but it looks the kind of rough that it simply doesn't seem to be fun to play y'know?? Either way, it's cool to have this officially released.

Celine

I actually think it's going to review better now than it would've 20 years ago. If this was released back in 1995, it would have been butchered by reviewers in the face of better looking, smother playing 3D games on the Playstation and the Saturn.

Reviewing it now gives it that bit of retro charm that probably will give it a bit of leniency from reviewers.
On the other hand back in 1995/1995 3D games were still quite janky and gamers expectation for 3D games was much lower (see the early success of a mediocre game like Toshiden on PS1).
Not to talk of the framerate, back then 20-30fps was considered "smooth" (there were 60fps games like for example Virtua Fighter 2 but they were relatively rare).

c0de

So when the inevitable hack of the snes mini happens, people can play that game on an emulator which can overclock?

Foffy

Banned
What, exactly, is different from this version compared to the one that got leaked and translated by fans on the internet?

Top Bottom