• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Groove Music to be discontinued

Stoffinator

It was expense at $10 a month. How much is Spotify? I figured once the Xbox got Spotify that it may end Groove.

If they add Spotify integration to Forza because of this, I may pick up Horizon 3 again. Something about having integrated custom soundtracks just makes a racing game so much better for me.

TheDanger

Banned
If they add Spotify integration to Forza because of this, I may pick up Horizon 3 again. Something about having integrated custom soundtracks just makes a racing game so much better for me.

yes if that happens I am actually gonna play that Hot Wheels DLC instead of just doing a few loops and calling it a day.

TheKeyPit

Banned
"the Groove Music app will continue to support playback and music management of owned content."

That's all I needed to know.

Edit:
"but after December 31, 2017, the Groove Music app will no longer offer the option to stream, purchase, and download music."

Wait... will I be able to stream music that I own from OneDrive? o_O I'm confused.

Godcannon

While I wasn't really convinced to be a long time subscriber, I appreciated Groove a lot for giving me a few new songs to jam out to during my trial.

Foals- Inhaler

Dope song.

UraMallas

I'm paid up on Groove Music for 3 years. Now what? I've never used Spotify so does it have a similar streaming service?

EDIT: It sounds like it does so are they just going to change my membership to Spotify?

Izuna

Banned
Ugh

I loved this shit since my first Windows phone and only when they changed to Groove did it suck colossal doodoo.

And now look, it dead

I want OneDrive support in Spotify pls

Zune Music Pass was ahead of its time man

TheDanger

Banned
It was expense at $10 a month. How much is Spotify? I figured once the Xbox got Spotify that it may end Groove.

is it really that expensive though? Let's say you are an avid music listener and buy one album per month, you get a teeny tiny fraction of what's on Spotify (also 10 bucks a month) for usually more than 10 dollars. I think it's a pretty great value actually.

RedToad64

"the Groove Music app will continue to support playback and music management of owned content."

Well...
"After December 31, 2017, will I still be able to play music I’ve purchased from the Windows Store?

Yes, if you’ve downloaded your purchased music to your devices before December 31, 2017, you’ll be able to play it through the Groove app. After December 31, 2017, music won’t be available for purchase or download in the Windows Store or for streaming in Groove.

Does this mean I should download and back up all my purchased music?

Yes. Music will not be available for purchase or download after December 31, 2017. So, before December 31, 2017, download any tracks you’ve purchased to your devices to make sure you still have access to your music. If you want to have the songs available on your other devices, you can do that by uploading your purchased music to OneDrive or another cloud storage service. If you don’t use OneDrive or another cloud storage service, you can also transfer your purchased music from one of your devices to another device for your own personal, non-commercial use."

Marcel

I did a free trial and never used it again so I guess consider me a contributor to Groove Music's death lol

BiggNife

I'm paid up on Groove Music for 3 years. Now what? I've never used Spotify so does it have a similar streaming service?

Apple Music, Google Play Music, Spotify Premium, and Amazon Music Unlimited all do basically the same streaming as Groove for the same price. I personally use Play Music because it comes with Youtube Red, which is nice to have.

As for Groove, it always seemed like the market was too crowded for it to succeed. I couldn't help but wish the integration it had in Horizon 3 was any other music service instead.

see5harp

I don’t see the point when it’s alteady built into the system. Seeing a song title pop up should just be a system wide option thing at this point like it is on PS4.

SFenton

EDIT: It sounds like it does so are they just going to change my membership to Spotify?

Sounds like they'll reimburse you 120% for any unused service time:

Your recurring annual Groove Music Pass will continue through December 31, 2017. If your Pass subscription extends beyond December 31, 2017, then by February 1, 2018, Microsoft will give you a prorated refund from December 31, 2017 onwards (if we are able to issue a refund to your credit card/payment instrument on file). If we are unable to refund your payment instrument on file, Microsoft will provide 120% of that prorated amount in a Microsoft gift card in your Microsoft account to spend at the Microsoft Store.

Disclaimer: I work on Groove. Am unfamiliar with how this reimbursement process will work as that was a different team working on it.

Shiggy

Not at all:

Your recurring annual Groove Music Pass will continue through December 31, 2017. If your Pass subscription extends beyond December 31, 2017, then by February 1, 2018, Microsoft will give you a prorated refund from December 31, 2017 onwards (if we are able to issue a refund to your credit card/payment instrument on file). If we are unable to refund your payment instrument on file, Microsoft will provide 120% of that prorated amount in a Microsoft gift card in your Microsoft account to spend at the Microsoft Store.

So if you want to get the Xbox One X at a discount, buy credit for Groove Music and have Microsoft repay 120% to you as Microsoft gift cards, which you can then use to buy the Xbox One X on the Microsoft Store.

Blam

I pre-paid for an annual Groove Music Pass. What are my options?

This is what it seems like they'll do if you had a annual pass.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic. Another reason to dump my Lumia since Spotify crashes on it every single time. I've got a nice library of my own music, but this is pretty much the bail in the coffin for me.

I'm getting reeeal annoyed with microsoft lately. They keep taking away all the things I ever wanted from them.

Izuna

Banned
Apple Music, Google Play Music, Spotify Premium, and Amazon Music Unlimited all do basically the same streaming as Groove for the same price. I personally use Play Music because it comes with Youtube Red, which is nice to have.

As for Groove, it always seemed like the market was too crowded for it to succeed. I couldn't help but wish the integration it had in Horizon 3 was any other music service instead.

Groove used to be Xbox Music which used to be Zune Music Pass which was the very first.

MS just sucks as getting people on their platform.

UraMallas

Disclaimer: I work on Groove. Am unfamiliar with how this reimbursement process will work as that was a different team working on it.

Well, okay then. Goodnight, sweet prince, I guess.

Blam

Fantastic. Another reason to dump my Lumia since Spotify crashes on it every single time. I've got a nice library of my own music, but this is pretty much the bail in the coffin for me.

I'm getting reeeal annoyed with microsoft lately. They keep taking away all the things I ever wanted from them.

Saying hello from the Google crowd.

theDeeDubs

I buy my music from here. I was trying to keep all my entertainment purchases on the same ecosystem. Wonder how long their movie and tv service will stay alive now.

borges

Banned

Man, hopefully this does not mean any job cut offs. I know theres many Groove employees in Paris.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned

I'm genuinely interested in the reason why you would have subscribed three years in advance. Did you pay up front? I wasn't even aware that was a possibility with a streaming service (though I'm sure they'd love that). Seriously, I'm curious.

see5harp

Apple Music would be fine but I don't really see the point when Spotify is already so well integrated with basically every device in my house. Shit you can even scrobble to last.fm.

BiggNife

Groove used to be Xbox Music which used to be Zune Music Pass which was the very first.

MS just sucks as getting people on their platform.

Oh right, I forgot about Zune Music Pass. Weren't there streaming services before that, though? I thought Rhapsody was first.

I wonder if Rhapsody still exists *checks* oh lol they renamed it to Napster

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Saying hello from the Google crowd.

No way. I'm getting a dumb phone and a walkman. I have an android tablet and I can't stand it. Apple is not an option either.

M3d10n

Edit:
"but after December 31, 2017, the Groove Music app will no longer offer the option to stream, purchase, and download music."

Wait... will I be able to stream music that I own from OneDrive? o_O I'm confused.

Playing media from OneDrive will continue to work as usual. What they are shutting down is their commercial music streaming service.

I don’t see the point when it’s alteady built into the system. Seeing a song title pop up should just be a system wide option thing at this point like it is on PS4.
Horizon 3 is really good at integrating music into the sound design of the open world. Locations on the map would be playing music from your playlist, with accurate audio distortion as you drove past. Plus, tracks changed each time you restarted a race - syncing each race to a new song.

It's a small thing, but it adds a ton to the experience for me.

Blam

No way. I'm getting a dumb phone and a walkman. I have an android tablet and I can't stand it. Apple is not an option either.

Actually Apple has the longest running support for any of their phones. 5S is still supported and that came out 4 years ago. So you'd actually be getting the best bang for your buck if you went with Apple.

see5harp

Horizon 3 is really good at integrating music into the sound design of the open world. Locations on the map would be playing music from your playlist, with accurate audio distortion as you drove past. Plus, tracks changed each time you restarted a race - syncing each race to a new song.

It's a small thing, but it adds a ton to the experience for me.

Yea I know it had those extra touches built in. Sorta like Wipeout for the PS3. I still found having a system wide custom soundtrack option for every single game more useful. I hated how you had to setup playlists for Forza. I'd rather just browse to new releases and press play on an album.

I've been thinking about switching to Spotify once my current Groove sub's up in Jan, due to a combination of the former now being on the X1 and the iPhone replacing my WP one. Hopefully the export feature works well.

Spasm

So, streaming your own content from OneDrive to your devices (Xbox) was locked behind the Groove Music Pass paywall. Will I be able to do this for free now?

borges

Banned
So, streaming your own content from OneDrive to your devices (Xbox) was locked behind the Groove Music Pass paywall. Will I be able to do this for free now?

mmm... interesting. Maybe under Spotify Premium paywall in the future?

Izuna

Banned
Oh right, I forgot about Zune Music Pass. Weren't there streaming services before that, though? I thought Rhapsody was first.

I wonder if Rhapsody still exists *checks* oh lol they renamed it to Napster

Napster...

What a word

see5harp

Is there a thread to complain about how shitty the Spotify apps are on PS4 and xbox one? Like why when you dig into new releases and then back out are all of the way to the root menu? It's like the designers are operating under the assumption that only 3 albums or singles come out every week. Like is the ram usage requirements so tight that you can't even maintain cache a couple jpegs and a list? Who the fuck works for Spotify and are they idiots?

UraMallas

I'm genuinely interested in the reason why you would have subscribed three years in advance. Did you pay up front? I wasn't even aware that was a possibility with a streaming service (though I'm sure they'd love that). Seriously, I'm curious.

I got a good deal on cards. Figured why not. It's not quite 3 years now. It's more like 2 and a half. They wouldn't let me push it out any further.

Top Bottom