• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Groove Music to be discontinued

Zedox

Luckily the only music i play is the one from One Drive. Sad to see it go as MS continues to downsize its consumer focus. Now its only Windows, Skype, Xbox, and Surface.

Warablo

I just used Pandora until Spotify came to Xbox. The trials of Groove music that I tried were pretty good though.

ZeroWil

Ah dammit.
I like using it since it links with my songs on OneDrive. Wonder if there'll be a replacement of sorts? Otherwise another one bites the dust...

Never used Groove, felt like it was never popular...the competition is a bit fierce not surprised.

Can we get Apple Music instead please?

I thought I remember them showing that, may have been iTunes for the store? Can't remember exactly.

Luckily the only music i play is the one from One Drive. Sad to see it go as MS continues to downsize its consumer focus. Now its only Windows, Skype, Xbox, and Surface.

Yep, but without a mobile counter part not sure how Groove could've of survived (W10M)...I'm sure it's been getting crushed by Spotify/Apple Music or years now. Also, every person that I've visited in recent memory, would just go straight to Youtube and play songs/playlists from there.

N21

It seems like MS needs a slimming down of the company again, everyone is just doing their own thing and it shows. Good products die because no one is in sync at Microsoft.

I love you, Groove Music Pass.

Literally have never heard of this service so can't say I'm surprised it's dead.

MS has really awful people at helm of their products, it's one of the big reason why you don't hear their goods until they get discounted forever.

Flagship

I hope this doesn't mean they're removing the W10 app as I use that as my daily driver (just with my own music though) it's so good, I only started using it about a year ago after jumping ship from winamp (which I was basically using my entire life up to that point)

N21

I hope this doesn't mean they're removing the W10 app as I use that as my daily driver (just with my own music though) it's so good, I only started using it about a year ago after jumping ship from winamp (which I was basically using my entire life up to that point)

I assume that all depends if the store is making them any money. They could just separate it, but I don't think that's MS's style.

This is upsetting, seems the app will not longer be updated after this year ��

Goodnight, Groove. I'll always remember you as what was left of Zune.

Where's a feedback form where I can ask Spotify to add OneDrive integration for music?

EDIT: Ah, seems Groove Music will still be fine and dandy, it's only the pass being killed.

I'm safe!

Izuna

Banned
Interesting, cause that was the only reason I got GMP in the first place. It was definitely pay-only at one point.

Nope, never was.

Unless you mean streaming from the library. If you wanted from OneDrive, you never had to pay for that.

Rellik

Not at all:

So if you want to get the Xbox One X at a discount, buy credit for Groove Music and have Microsoft repay 120% to you as Microsoft gift cards, which you can then use to buy the Xbox One X on the Microsoft Store.

Microsoft Store is the new name for the god awful Windows Store. That makes it sound like you're getting one of these.

u_10140390.jpg

Stoffinator

is it really that expensive though? Let's say you are an avid music listener and buy one album per month, you get a teeny tiny fraction of what's on Spotify (also 10 bucks a month) for usually more than 10 dollars. I think it's a pretty great value actually.

Too me it is. Maybe because I am a physical person. I like owning the stuff and don't mind paying a bit more for it. I just find for those services to be pretty pricey.

Microsoft just seems to give up on stuff way too easily and quickly, really don't like that about them. At least Google keeps old stuff running forever, or provides a clean and simple migration usually.

I think its really the difference between the "PC" mentality of Microsoft and the web mentality of everyone else.

No... :(
Now where will I purchase music? There goes another 4 years or so of music purchases down the drain. I don't care about streaming. This sucks.

Can't say I've ever tried Groove, but I've been thinking recently about how the Zune (both the device and the service) were surprisingly forward-thinking. Microsoft just can't catch a break with music.

vg260

I'm not currently subscribed, but I have about 8 months worth of Groove music passes I have yet to redeem. It sounds like I should just wait until the very end of the year to redeem them and hope it gets converted over to Xbox credit?

Venom.

Groove used to be Xbox Music which used to be Zune Music Pass which was the very first.

MS just sucks as getting people on their platform.

They do have the resources to buy a platform. Look at LinkedIn, Minecraft, Nokia and one day maybe even Spotify.

sense

Probably why Spotify finally made it to the platform. Same thing happened with Sony music if I remember correctly

borges

Banned
Microsoft just seems to give up on stuff way too easily and quickly, really don't like that about them. At least Google keeps old stuff running forever, or provides a clean and simple migration usually.

I think its really the difference between the "PC" mentality of Microsoft and the web mentality of everyone else.

Not really, Google has their own Spring Cleans, which are quite violent. Same thing for Sony with Vita, the Playstation TV thing and others.
The online music market has an insane number of options, all of them with a very well consolidated user base (Apple service, Google service, Spotify, etc). So yeah, It woudl have taken years to just get a fraction of this market. I guess someone did the numbers at Redmond and just pull the trigger.

Dipswitch

They screwed the pooch with their music strategy. Zune Music had a great app, but they killed that (to the dismay of fans) to rebrand as Xbox Music. The apps for that ranged from abysmal on WP to ok on other platforms. That failed to gain traction, so the Groove transition was their last bite at the apple. Apps for that were decent, but by that time Spotify was a juggernaut and Amazon, Apple and Google were all in the mix.

My household had subscriptions to both Spotify and Groove until last year until I decided Groove/WP was a dying combination and switched to the Spotify family plan. I'm happy with the switch.

jryeje29

I can't imagine many people used the service but I hope they make it an easy transition for those who do. Spotify has been making some serious moves to new places in the last year or so. I can't imagine the lead they'd have on the industry if it wasn't for how big the Apple brand already was when it launched Apple Muilsic. The fact that they are even in the lead at all is crazy seeing as how Apple tends to dominate every business they throw their hat in.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Actually Apple has the longest running support for any of their phones. 5S is still supported and that came out 4 years ago. So you'd actually be getting the best bang for your buck if you went with Apple.

Doesn't matter. I really don't like their UI, their prices are pathetic, and I need my minijack.

Blam

Doesn't matter. I really don't like their UI, their prices are pathetic, and I need my minijack.

Fair enough, I personally can't use a new iPhone because of the loss of the headphone jack, and I seriously thank that samsung didn't do the same.

Top Bottom