• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art From Cancelled Halo Wars 3 Pitch Released (Space Battles, X-COM Style Base)

All reference to Halo Wars 3 on that page was removed a little while after this thread was posted. What I have in the OP is the original text.

Spotted over on the Halo reddit page.

Surprisingly I got the all clear from Microsoft to show this cancelled pitch material.

We did some proposals for Halo Wars 3, I had to introduce space battles into the game style, as well as having your capital ship as your home base, to prep your ground forces.

Work done for Creative Assembly for Halo Wars 2. Property of Microsoft.

brx-wright-fe-ventura-front-end-mockup-01.jpg

brx-wright-fe-ventura-front-end-mockup-07.jpg

brx-wright-hw3pitch-spacebattle-sketch1.jpg

brx-wright-hw3pitch-spacebattle-topdown1.jpg

It looks incredible. More art at the link.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/e6mDY

So is Halo Wars dead again? God damn it.

Halo Wars in space would have been great, but it's a strange pitch. Ground battles and space battles? Could effectively be 2 different games.

That said, Halo is such a mismanaged IP. The universe is so rich with potential for a variety of games, and yet they're struggling to even push the main entries.

IHaveIce

Banned
Looks amazing but how I understood it the gane underperformed pretty hard eventhough it released on pc so yeah.. MS cancels another game. I wonder when they will actually release new games.

m23

It says cancelled pitch material, not that 3 has been cancelled. Hopefully I'm not wrong in my understanding.

xrnzaaas

I know it's offtopic but turn based Halo Wars could actually catch my attention. I have zero interest in playing an RTS game on a console.

Cpt Lmao

It says cancelled pitch material, not that 3 has been cancelled. Hopefully I'm not wrong in my understanding.

Heavily doubt they would show cancelled pitch material if the game was still to exist, how would the developers feel about that? A: Not happy.

Unless this was put out to gage the response, we may assume that HW3 no longer exists. This shouldn't surprise anyone that pays attention to Microsoft's approach to first party development.

jem0208

Do people read the OP?
On NeoGAF?

Lol, no.

More seriously whilst it looks cool I can't see how they would be able to design space battles to play well with a controller. Unless they completely remove the Z-axis which would be really boring and kinda make the move to space fairly pointless.

Theorry

Heavily doubt they would show cancelled pitch material if the game was still to exist, how would the developers feel about that? A: Not happy.

Unless this was put out to gage the response, we may assume that HW3 no longer exists. This shouldn't surprise anyone, it is perfect in line with Microsoft's first-party strategy.

Or you know this pitch isnt the road they gonna take.

wwm0nkey

Unless this was put out to gage the response, we may assume that HW3 no longer exists. This shouldn't surprise anyone that pays attention to Microsoft's approach to first party development.
Dude ptiches get canned ALLLLLLLLLL the time, just because one goes down the drain doesn't mean it wont happen. Now if it was in a playable state and had some work done like Phantom Dust or Mega Man Legends? Yeah that shit is dead.

AYF 001

But... that is literally the best direction they could have gone for in Halo Wars.
If we're lucky, we might get something next gen. Neither Xbox nor Halo are as dominant as they were when HW1 first came out, so HW2 was never going to sell as much. But lack of widespread marketing meant a lot of people never really knew the game was even out.

Zereta

I should probably grab Halo Wars 2 when it goes on sale this holiday. I enjoyed the original Halo Wars enough and still love and respect the Halo story (even though Halo 5 butchered the very interesting direction they had set up in Halo 4 and all the Forerunner books).

This pitch looks good though. I wonder what direction they'll end up going. I wish they went further in the X-Com direction, but probably not?

Give me my Covenent Elite Special Forces X-Com Game, Microsoft.

I agree. This does mean the game is not currently in development. That said, it could have been allowed to be released in order to gauge support, as another poster said. I imagine HW2 didn't sell well at all and you can't expect MS to keep funding underperforming series. They'll use that money for something else. We won't get less, we just won't get Halo Wars.

Jawmuncher

Eh can't say i'm feeling an Space Combat game going by this pitch.
Would be more interested in an actual Xcom style Halo game with Marines and such and keeping it at that level. With the home base just being for set up and the like.

Also this to me just screams out that Halo Wars 3 isn't happening at all. Considering how poorly Halo Wars 2 sold even as a pack-in.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
If MS are happy for it to be released, they might be gauging feedback.

Looks great. All in for more HW. Especially if it has hints of ST: Armada.

Shiggy

Not very surprising after the sales of Halo Wars 2. The bigger surprise would have been if they greenlit Halo Wars 3 after that.

Why are people suggesting Halo Wars 3 is outright cancelled and not just one pitch?

The very fact he is making a distinction to call this just one pitch should be telling that the series is likely to continue.

Gestault

So is the halo wars series canned?

In general, any series has a bunch of internal pitches, most of which never get approved. Considering they went pretty heavy with the funding on the Flood campaign expansion, I'd bet it's still going (as much as it ever has).

If there's more specific info that the pitch getting turned down was because there's no product development happening, that would be something else.

The bit about what the artist was required to include in the pitch (home base, space battles), and that CA had put together pitches is now gone from the page. Now listed as additional art for Halo Wars 2.

Jawmuncher

Why are people suggesting Halo Wars 3 is outright cancelled and not just one pitch?

The very fact he is making a distinction to call this just one pitch should be telling that the series is likely to continue.

Considering how long of a wait from Halo Wars to Halo Wars 2 was.
It's not like we'd be seeing a 3rd game anytime soon anyway.

10 years ago I would've never guessed Halo would be in the state it is today. There's an exceptional lack of enthusiasm for the series compared to then, even the main entries.

Like...I was a diehard Halo fan. I consumed all fiction outside the games and adored Halo Wars. I was banging the drum for a sequel just like everyone else, and then when we finally got it I'd gotten so soured on not only the main entries, but the direction of the lore and universe that I never even played it. I came across a copy for $10 and still couldn't muster up the interest to actually buy it.

I want to see this series correct itself so bad.

StereoVsn

Well, this looked quite interesting and I could see myself buying it unlike the first couple of Halo Wars games. Oh well, MS strikes again to ensure that nothing but generic shooters/racers survive on the Xbone.

The responses in here are unfortunately unsurprising.

-This is a pitch, not a greenlit game.
-If this was meant to release on consoles, would controlling units in space have felt satisfying?
-Also, Halo Wars 2 bombed.

But it looks pretty and Microsoft is involved and they are the devil so ripperoni.

It makes sense, from the outside, why this pitch wasn't accepted. I wouldnt hold your breathe for Halo Wars 3 in any form.

Of all the known cancelled Halo games the only one worth mourning was Halo Mega anyway

AlStrong

Neat, but I'd rather be a fighter pilot taking down capital ships ala Freespace.

No opinion on what HW3 should or shouldn't be. Then again, maybe something more hero focused.

Yager

Banned
Considering how HW2 sales went, I wouldn't be surprised if the franchise goes to the grave, which is sad. Space battles would've been awesome.

Top Bottom