• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX LIVE trailer uses music from LittleBigPlanet?

dfyb

Banned
does seem weird watching that -- especially with the art style that trailer used. also, lol at "CONNECT FOR FREE" even though you can't even connect to your buds in a game or use some of the other features advertised in the trailer.

rezuth

Even though the music is not LBP music I associate it with that and I guess others do aswell. Think it was a bad idea to pick that music.

ShogunX

RSTEIN said:
Can only mean one thing... LBP 360!!!

I wish :(

492_112236_1.jpg

:lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
That is an odd choice, though. Whether it's exclusive or not, it was all over the place in LBP promos and the game itself, it's understandable that anyone that knows about it would say "that's LBP music!" in reaction to this.

It's like using the William Tell Overture in a Zorro trailer or something. Public domain or not, that's the Lone Ranger's theme, dammit.

dfyb

Banned
kruskev said:
it's not music from little big planet. It's a "get it together" by the go team...
you act like it's just a random song from the soundtrack. it was used in several trailers and grew an association with the game. it'd be like uncharted 2 using gary jules - mad world in an ad.

Narag

Shig said:
That is an odd choice, though. Whether it's exclusive or not, it was all over the place in LBP promos and the game itself, it's understandable that anyone that knows about it would say "that's LBP music!" in reaction to this.

It's like using the William Tell Overture in a Zorro trailer or something. Public domain or not, that's the Lone Ranger's theme, dammit.

I'm so like that with the Peter Gunn theme and Spy Hunter.

dfyb said:
you act like it's just a random song from the soundtrack. it was used in several trailers and grew an association with the game. it'd be like uncharted 2 using gary jules - mad world in an ad.

Weren't enough of us "Hey that's the song from Donnie Darko" when the Gears commercial aired?

xbhaskarx

Why is this worthy of a thread?

The Last Guardian trailer uses the theme music from Miller's Crossing, quick somebody make a thread about it because I'm sure the Sony fanboys are outraged over that one!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I think it is a good commercial. I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I have never played LBP or had and interest on playing it, so I never associated that song with LBP at all. I am pretty sure a lot of people are in my same possition and do not think of LBP when they see that commercial. LBP is not part of pop culture like let's say Mario for the majority of the public to really associate anything with it.

No, I act like it's a band that I liked, bought the albums of and saw live before they were licensed for LBP.

There's nothing LBP about this music. That's like saying that a Rage Against the Machine track is 'Tony Hawks Music' or Grandaddys 'Elevate Myself' is Forza 2 music.

Dabanton

xbhaskarx said:

The Last Guardian trailer uses the theme music from Miller's Crossing, quick somebody make a thread about it because I'm sure the Sony fanboys are outraged over that one!

Pretty much.

soldat7 said:
This is just Microsoft being stupid. Not surprising.

Clarify that statement please?

ShogunX

-PXG- said:
What is that?

XNA game called Magnetic Mind submitted for Dream, Build, Play - I know its nothing like LBP obviously but there was something about it at first glance that made me think of LBP, I think its the background.

Woz

xbhaskarx said:

Were's the outrage? I can't find it.

Zzoram

Just like half of the "epic" movie trailers after Lord of the Rings came out used the LotR trailer music?

Trailer and commercial music is not exclusive, and it is very common to hear the same songs for different products.

Hell, I heard the Star Trek movie trailer music on America's Got Talent when they were revealing who was going to be sent home :lol

-Amon-

Connect for free made me really lol.

And the backround music is too much connected to lbp, media molecule used it in evrery pre release video i've seen i think. It would have been wiser to choose something else for them.

Now that i'm thinking about it this must be the first bad Ms 360 related ad i've seen.

Bring back the guys that made the mad world Gears ad, that's the way to do it.

dfyb

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
No, I act like it's a band that I liked, bought the albums of and saw live before they were licensed for LBP.

There's nothing LBP about this music. That's like saying that a Rage Against the Machine track is 'Tony Hawks Music' or Grandaddys 'Elevate Myself' is Forza 2 music.
i was listening to gary jules - mad world before the gears advert, but i wouldn't say that the song doesn't have a significant association with the game now. it's plainly obvious that just like madworld/gears, LBP/Go team have a similar association -- these songs are heavily tied to their respective game in many people's minds.

Shogun PaiN said:
XNA game called Magnetic Mind submitted for Dream, Build, Play - I know its nothing like LBP obviously but there was something about it at first glance that made me think of LBP, I think its the background.
how is it nothing like LBP? it looks like LBP fanart with a 360 avatar.

godhandiscen

Woz said:
Were's the outrage? I can't find it.
No outrage here in GAF, but I saw this piece of info in Kotaku last night and you should check those comments. "Teh evil M$ empire stole another original idea from Sony"
dfyb said:
i was listening to gary jules - mad world before the gears advert, but i wouldn't say that the song doesn't have a significant association with the game now. it's plainly obvious that just like madworld/gears, LBP/Go team have a similar association -- these songs are heavily tied to their respective game in many people's minds.
Yes, also that Gears commercial is one of the best commercials ever, and Gears managed to sell what 7 million copies? People talk about the chain gun in sports. Gears is slowly becoming part of pop culture. LBP has no influence on pop culture. Not many people outside of gaming boards know to which game those LBP critters belong to.

Microsoft jabbing Sony. Stupid and unnecessary.

It's in the actual game.

So are all the songs in Madden limited to Madden? Would putting them in another title be 'someone jabbing Madden. Stupid and unneccessary?'

When I think of Mad World I think of Donnie Darko, not Gears of War. Because that's what the song was originally used for, and not a licensed track in an advert.

Gomu Gomu

godhandiscen said:
No outrage here in GAF, but I saw this piece of info in Kotaku last night and you should check those comments. "Teh evil M$ empire stole another original idea from Sony"
wow :lol . He was probably kidding though.

stupei

I really don't think the audience they're actually targeting by saying, "Hey, Xbox Live exists and it has twitter and facebook" are the same people who would immediately recognize a song as being connected to LBP. It might be deliberate but nobody this commercial is actually aimed at is ever going to notice.

soldat7

Gomu Gomu said:
Nice stealth edit buddy :p
I don't see the big deal. It's a song, anyone can license it. Right?

I said the same thing, simply reworded:

This is just Microsoft being stupid. Not surprising.

That song, more than any other, is associated with Little Big Planet. If you don't think this was a deliberate move on Microsoft's part, then you're not thinking.

RavenFox

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

Uhmm it actually Limericks Lament.

Woz

godhandiscen said:

Ah, ok... then why complain here for the outrage?

stupei

soldat7 said:
That song, more than any other, is associated with Little Big Planet. If you don't think this was a deliberate move on Microsoft's part, then you're not thinking.

Assuming that it is a deliberate move, what do you assume they are attempting to achieve by it? Are they trying to trick the massive crowd of casual and uninformed LBP fans into thinking it has something to do with Xbox Live? Or... what exactly? Just to piss off people on the internet? What?

Never heard the song. Never followed LBP so I didn't hear it there either. So I'm assuming like 99.9% of the audience this connection means nothing to them.

Of course... the other thing about this advert is that the people it's aimed at wont have the first clue the music is associated with LBP, or know what LBP is, or care. :lol

[Edit - Damn you Stoney Mason]

godhandiscen

Woz said:
Ah, ok... then why complain here for the outrage?
I don't even know why this thread was necessary. However, apparently dfyb has a huge issue with this.
soldat7 said:
Finish thinking this through. So if this was Microsoft's deliberate move, what were they trying to accomplish with this?

Top Bottom