• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX LIVE trailer uses music from LittleBigPlanet?

Gomu Gomu

soldat7 said:
That song, more than any other, is associated with Little Big Planet. If you don't think this was a deliberate move on Microsoft's part, then you're not thinking.

It's all one big conspiracy :eek:.

Narag

godhandiscen said:
I don't even know why this thread was necessary. However, apparently dfyb has a huge issue with this.

Well, an interesting discussion on first exposure of specific music through unrelated media would be neat, but this was framed poorly and attracted the usual suspects.

dfyb

Banned
godhandiscen said:
I don't even know why this thread was necessary. However, apparently dfyb has a huge issue with this.
:lol i'm just pointed out how absurd you and others are for acting like there's no association between the song and LBP to many people on this forum, which is plainly obvious to anybody who isn't a hardcore 360 fanboy. you've definitely got problems -- my "huge issue with this" amounted to me saying "does seem weird watching that."

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Narag said:
Well, an interesting discussion on first exposure of specific music through unrelated media would be neat, but this was framed poorly and attracted the usual suspects.
You expect too much of GAF. Thread creators should know better that this is another system warz forum.
dfyb said:
:lol i'm just pointed out how absurd you and others are for acting like there's no association between the song and LBP, which is plainly obvious to anybody who isn't a hardcore 360 fanboy. you've definitely got problems -- my "huge issue with this" amounted to me saying "does seem weird watching that."
Dude, you act as if LBP was a popular game. I am saying that there must be an association to certain gamers, but this is a TV commercial. 99% of people who will see this commercial have made no such association. Also, I think that a 360 fanboy most likely would know about LBP since they waste time in knowing their enemy for their stupid console wars. I personally didn't even know that LBP used this song.

Lebron

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh god. The comments on that video. Gamers are so embarrassing.
Some of the comments in this thread are pretty embarrassing, as well. Really people, arguing over a song? Really? :lol

soldat7

stupei said:
Assuming that it is a deliberate move, what do you assume they are attempting to achieve by it? Are they trying to trick the massive crowd of casual and uninformed LBP fans into thinking it has something to do with Xbox Live? Or... what exactly? Just to piss off people on the internet? What?

The purpose of advertising is to draw people to your product. Music in advertisements is particularly calculated to elicit a positive response and create an association between the viewer and the product. Sony has been using that song for years and even included it in the actual game. Microsoft wants you to associate that song with their product, not Sony's. They didn't pick that song because they thought it was cool.

However, if this means we'll get some Cold Storage in Forza 3 then I'm all for it.

Gomu Gomu said:
It's all one big conspiracy :eek:.

Marketing is a virtuous sport.

Narag

godhandiscen said:
You expect too much of GAF. Thread creators should know better that this is another system warz forum.

I'm a little naive in that I often get far less than what I'd like. It is a shame a decent thread like the locallization one is the exception and not the norm.

i'm just pointed out how absurd you and others are for acting like there's no association between the song and LBP, which is plainly obvious to anybody who isn't a hardcore 360 fanboy. you've definitely got problems -- my "huge issue with this" amounted to me saying "does seem weird watching that."

"Get it Together" was released in 2000.

"Little Big Planet" was released in 2008.

Massive connection.

Iknos

One day I was watching Rocky I heard a song from Guitar Hero in it and I was like "WTF major fail United Artists".

BeeDog

Well, a little bit awkward, but in the end, outside of a few loudmouthed forum nerds, this won't really matter much at all.

Raist

Banned
woodsey1982 said:
Any one know why there is a warning for "Mild Lyrics" in that advert...when its pretty much an instrumental track?!

That refers to "connect for free"

Anyway.
No big deal, but yeah, it's stupid to use this music. I mean, who honestly knew that song before LBP was revealed? Because it was like THE song associated to LBP (they used it in the GDC trailer when they revealed the game, and in numerous trailers since then, maybe even ads). And yeah, 99% of the audience won't know/care, but I'm pretty sure the guy who made this ad did know.
I remember the big splash cause by some PGR art/screen used as a banner by some sony website for an ad. So I don't see why this case wouldn't get the same treatment (not that I'm saying it's right or wrong).

Ramenman

APZonerunner said:
Carnival of stupid. This thread, not the ad.

Help me ! I see people flaming each other but I can't even understand what they are flaming each other about :lol :lol

WTF, gaf.

dfyb

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
"Get it Together" was released in 2000.

"Little Big Planet" was released in 2008.

Massive connection.
"Mad World" was released in 1982.

"Mad World" was covered by Gary Jules in 2001.

"Gears of War" was released in 2006

so, according to you, there's no connection with that song/game, either?

Narag

Raist said:
I mean, who honestly knew that song before LBP was revealed? Because it was like THE song associated to LBP (they used it in the GDC trailer when they revealed the game, and in numerous trailers since then, maybe even ads).

I'd never heard of The Go! Team but had more than one UK friend instantly recognize the song.

[Nintex]

dfyb said:

I don't think there's any connection with the song Mad World or Gears of War, no.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Raist said:
That refers to "connect for free"

Anyway.
No big deal, but yeah, it's stupid to use this music. I mean, who honestly knew that song before LBP was revealed? Because it was like THE song associated to LBP (they used it in the GDC trailer when they revealed the game, and in numerous trailers since then, maybe even ads). And yeah, 99% of the audience won't know/care, but I'm pretty sure the guy who made this ad did know.
I remember the big splash cause by some PGR art/screen used as a banner by some sony website for an ad. So I don't see why this case wouldn't get the same treatment (not that I'm saying it's right or wrong).
So you are saying that 99% of people don't know, or care, but you are 100% sure that the guy who chose the song knew it.

I already said I don't think there is. There is a link between Mad World and Donnie Darko, which is what the Gary Jules version was released with.

TheFallen

It's a song that was licensed. It's not Sony or LBP's. Who cares. If Sony really wanted the song to be unique, they wouldn't have purchased the license.

And if Killzone 3 used Mad World, why would it matter? It's been used for several products already. It's like complaining about Nolan North playing Nathan Drake and also Sgt Forge in Halo Wars or characters in Gears of War.

Because it's completely different?

I mean, who honestly knew that song before LBP was revealed? Because it was like THE song associated to LBP (they used it in the GDC trailer when they revealed the game, and in numerous trailers since then, maybe even ads).
Lots of people.

Gomu Gomu

dfyb said:

No there isn't :lol .

Narag

TheFallen said:
And if Killzone 3 used Mad World, why would it matter? It's been used for several products already. It's like complaining about Nolan North playing Nathan Drake and also Sgt Forge in Halo Wars or characters in Gears of War.

That son of a bitch.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
RavenFox said:
Uhmm it actually Limericks Lament.

Ummm it's actually from Carter Burwell's soundtrack for Miller's Crossing, though that particular piece is, I think, based on Limerick's Lament.

element said:
ASCAP is your friend.

BMI is better!! /fanboi

xbhaskarx

soldat7 said:
That song, more than any other, is associated with Little Big Planet.

The Miller's Crossing theme song is played at the beginning of the movie, during the end credits, and probably two or three times during the movie. It's also used in the DVD menu.
That song, more than any other, is associated with Miller's Crossing. "Epic fail" from Sony for using it in The Last Guardian trailer.

Raist

Banned
godhandiscen said:
So you are saying that 99% of people don't know, or care, but you are 100% sure that the guy who chose the song knew it.

Yes, and?

I mean, a large proportion the mass market audience will probably have never heard that song, save for the people who have a PS3 and LBP.
Now, I'm pretty sure that a company releasing an ad for one of their product's features surely knows about a song used in (and that a lot of forum goers and probably all the VG media associate with) a game released by their direct competitor.

Majora

godhandiscen said:

Dfyb is having a rant in a Microsoft thread? Well I for one am shocked.

I mean, a large proportion the mass market audience will probably have never heard that song, save for the people who have a PS3 and LBP.
Or all the fans that liked that song and band for the eight years and several albums that existed before LBP?!?!?!?

xbhaskarx

ZealousD said:
Which itself is an adapation of the traditional Irish folk song know as "Lament for Limerick"!

Yes adaptation based on, but that particular music used in Miller's Crossing was made specifically for the movie. Unlike this supposed "LBP song" which according to the post above mine has been around for 8 years.

Woz

xbhaskarx said:
The Miller's Crossing theme song is played at the beginning of the movie, during the end credits, and probably two or three times during the movie. It's also used in the DVD menu.
That song, more than any other, is associated with Miller's Crossing. "Epic fail" from Sony for using it in The Last Guardian trailer.

Miller's Crossing is made by MS? Or by some Sony competitor?

dfyb

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Yes adaptation based on, but that particular music used in Miller's Crossing was made specifically for the movie. Unlike this "LBP song".
i like how you quote a term nobody used.

soldat7

xbhaskarx said:

I'm not going to defend Sony's decision on that one either.

Talon

dfyb said:

*sigh*
Non-videogame superfans would tend to associate that song with Donnie Darko...or mistaking it as a Michael Stipe joint.

All of you arguing that licensing a song is somehow some act of aggression or 'epic fail' by Microsoft are really fucking stupid.

If you wanted to bash them, you'd have a much easier time criticising the content of the advert.

All five of them?

:p

xbhaskarx

Woz said:
Miller's Crossing is made by MS? Or by some Sony competitor?

Yes, you may not be aware of this, but Sony are in the movie business and the music business.
Miller's Crossing (20th Century Fox) is not a Sony movie, and the soundtrack (Universal Music Group) is not on a Sony-owned record label.

Top Bottom