• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX LIVE trailer uses music from LittleBigPlanet?

Woz

RubberJohnny said:
Sony didn't write "Get it Together", the Go Team! did.

You don't get the weirdness of the thing.

Opel use the song "Gabriel" by Lamb for the Meriva ad, i would find weird an ad for a Wolkswagen service with the same song.

dfyb

Banned
Talon- said:
*sigh*
Non-videogame superfans would tend to associate that song with Donnie Darko...or mistaking it as a Michael Stipe joint.
i wasn't aware multiple associations were impossible. i liked the song well before the gears ad, but i know full well that plenty of people like my roomate associate mad world with gears.

i find it weird that the same forum who worshiped the mad world gears ad somehow all of the sudden feel like it wouldn't be weird if another game from a competing platform used the same song in their own ad. except for a few extremists, the OP and most of us weren't saying it was even wrong/stupid of MS -- we just said it felt weird watching a 360 ad use a song heavily associated with LBP.

Woz

xbhaskarx said:
Yes, you may not be aware of this, but Sony are in the movie business and the music business.
Miller's Crossing (20th Century Fox) is not a Sony movie, and the soundtrack (Universal Music Group) is not on a Sony-owned record label.

But the song is not in a Sony movie, is in a videogame (as placeholder).

Raist said:
Yes, and?

I mean, a large proportion the mass market audience will probably have never heard that song, save for the people who have a PS3 and LBP.
Now, I'm pretty sure that a company releasing an ad for one of their product's features surely knows about a song used in (and that a lot of forum goers and probably all the VG media associate with) a game released by their direct competitor.

The Go Team (and that song) were pretty heavily licensed long before Sony started using it. The only reason you associate the song with LPB is because you are a gamer who I assume was interested in LBP and just happenned to miss the commercials that used it before. You can't assume that just because you hadn't heard of them until then, that no one else knew who they were. They were playing Coachella on one of the mid-sized stages at least a year before that.

I think you've treaded into an XDF mine field.
That assumes that there's anything that needs to be defended. There isn't, because it's a total non issue, despite those that claim otherwise.

i find it weird that the same forum who worshiped the mad world gears ad somehow all of the sudden feel like it wouldn't be weird if another game from a competing platform used the same song in their own ad.
Well that's because one of these things is not like the other.

jaypah

dfyb said:
i wasn't aware multiple associations were impossible. i liked the song well before the gears ad, but i know full well that plenty of people like my roomate associate mad world with gears.

i find it weird that the same forum who worshiped the mad world gears ad somehow all of the sudden feel like it wouldn't be weird if another game from a competing platform used the same song in their own ad. except for a few extremists, the OP and most of us weren't saying it was even wrong/stupid of MS -- we just said it felt weird watching a 360 ad use a song heavily associated with LBP.

petition time?

also, calm down. you can fly your flag without having a breakdown.

clashfan

dfyb said:

Don't you dare talk bad about the Gears Mad World Ad. That was pure genius!

Woz

[Nintex] said:
Be carefull what you wish for, we actually found out recently that GAF has a Panasonic and Samsung fan group waiting in the shadows.
No problem, i have a Thomson lcd.

I'm listed in the endangered species list, I'm intouchable.

Talon

dfyb said:

My favorite part of web forums: pigeonholing posters.

I wasn't here when that Mad World ad was worshipped, as you say, and I don't care for GoW (either one, really). The song's not associated with a videogame series in the non-us world. I doubt this so-called LBP song is really associated with a game specifically to the few of us that actually care enough about our hobby to look at gaming websites.

Is it weird? Yeah, sure. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe it's not. Mostly I don't really care. Sounds like they could have just used a random Of Montreal or Polyphonic Spree song to get the same feeling.

The thing is that written word, especially in short bursts like in this forum format, leave a lot of room for interpretation. Something that's written in a benign manner can sound like an assault to some...strange minds.

Raist

Banned
GuitarAtomik said:
The Go Team (and that song) were pretty heavily licensed long before Sony started using it. The only reason you associate the song with LPB is because you are a gamer who I assume was interested in LBP and just happenned to miss the commercials that used it before. You can't assume that just because you hadn't heard of them until then, that no one else knew who they were. They were playing Coachella on one of the mid-sized stages at least a year before that.

Look, I'm just saying that it was obvious that this would be controversial, therefore stupid, to use this song for an Xbox live ad while it's clear that it's quite heavily associated with LBP within the gaming community. That's all.

McLovin

dfyb said:
does seem weird watching that -- especially with the art style that trailer used. also, lol at "CONNECT FOR FREE" even though you can't even connect to your buds in a game or use some of the other features advertised in the trailer.
You get a month of xbox live gold when you buy a 360.. so that's where the connect free part comes in.

PSGames

xbhaskarx said:
Why is this worthy of a thread?

The Last Guardian trailer uses the theme music from Miller's Crossing, quick somebody make a thread about it because I'm sure the Sony fanboys are outraged over that one!

:lol

dfyb

Banned
McLovin said:
You get a month of xbox live gold when you buy a 360.. so that's where the connect free part comes in.
typically they'd have an asterisk and small print denoting that it was only an introductory offer ;)

soldat7

Raist said:
Look, I'm just saying that it was obvious that this would be controversial, therefore stupid, to use this song for an Xbox live ad while it's clear that it's quite heavily associated with LBP within the gaming community. That's all.

DogWelder

Where is the rage? Come on, I know gamers get pissy about the most inane shit, don't hold it in guys, it's not healthy.

billy.sea

Banned
Microsoft has the right to use this music, but why would they want to use it? Is it that hard to find something other than the iconic music from Sony's LBP?

lame, tacky

there is no way that the people involved in making this did not know what this song
is associated with.

the people who did the Zune ad's chose some good songs, they didn't reuse songs from Apple's ads

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think a bunch of people have their panties in a wad over nothing. Your average person doesn't know what LBP is, let alone that this song was "associated" with it.

Hell, I live on GAF and couldn't have told you this song was a LBP song.

xbhaskarx

stupei said:
Lux Aeterna, actually, if we're going to start correcting each other.

Right, but the song was originally composed by Clint Mansell for Requiem for a Dream. It's not originally from Lord of the Rings. He wasn't naming the song, but the original source, so your correction is incorrect.

Another case of a song made specifically for one thing later being used for another, like with the Miller's Crossing song being used in the Last Guardian trailer, and unlike some 8 year old song used in both LBP and this Xbox Live commercial.

Dabanton

djtortilla said:
lame, tacky

there is no way that the people involved in making this did not know what this song
is associated with.

the people who did the Zune ad's chose some good songs, they didn't reuse songs from Apple's ads

Dude are you serious, the song has been around since 2004.

stupei

xbhaskarx said:
Right, but the song was originally composed by Clint Mansell for Requiem for a Dream. It's not originally from Lord of the Rings. He wasn't naming the song, but the original source, so your correction is incorrect.

Actually I did get that and was just playing along with the vibe of this thread which has become all about "my association with song X is better/earlier/stronger because I associate it with media Y which came first/made better use of it/etc." Almost all anyone has bothered to contribute to the conversation thus far is, "Oh, no but you are the wrong one, this came first," and then they depart. Valid point and all, but not really a reason for this to go on for three pages of circular talk about nothing. Clint Mansell composed most of the music for Requiem using actual requiems as inspiration to the point that he lifted certain chords or segments and altered them. So Mansell isn't actually the real real source either. Now let's talk about that for no reason.

But somewhere closer to the actual topic, though I guess there wasn't really a defined point for discussion: yes, it's kind of weird when you associate a song with one thing and you see it somewhere else. I really like, for example, how ESPN does such a good job at sometimes associating certain music with an event, tournament, or sports season but then sometimes they will reuse that song later on for an entirely different sport and I do find it a little disconcerting. But I don't think they're messing with people or pissing them off so much as being lazy and going with what is already proven to work.

vantastic

xbhaskarx said:
Why is this worthy of a thread?

The Last Guardian trailer uses the theme music from Miller's Crossing, quick somebody make a thread about it because I'm sure the Sony fanboys are outraged over that one!
what a ridiculous statement. i love how certain people exclaim "so what?" over the use of this song. if you even care about gaming, you'd definitely think "hey that's the song from lbp, what's it doing in an ms ad?" you guys saying you've never heard the song are liars lol.

Top Bottom