• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a compulsive liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else have this problem?

My story is kind of bizarre. On my 5th birthday, my second cousin (who was 15 years old at the time) touched me 'inappropriately'. My father caught us in the closet and he told me to go downstairs, eat my cake and not to tell anyone about the incident. That's the first time I can remember consciously lying to people around me.

As I grew older it became quite easy for me to get away with it and so I kept pushing my luck. I lied in debates, to my girl friend and just about anyone about anything around me. I was filling out my UCAS (common college application for universities in France, I grew up in Portugal) and fabricated all of my grades, knowing full well that my adviser was never going to sift through every application. I got offers from some really good universities and one really good scholarship. But I still sent each university an email stating that somehow my school fudged up my grades on my UCAS application and they weren't indicative of my true grades, written and implying as if my real grades were better without actually saying so. The offers stood and I went to university.

At university the problem became worse. My family didn't have a lot of money but I enjoyed projecting wealth. So I did. I would tell people around me about fake trips and activities like my sailing skills, my chateau in the south of France and fencing. I joined each club just to get a picture taken of me taking part in various activities so that I could upload them on facebook to legitimize my tales. But of course I never had any money to do this stuff regularly. Or even to hang out with people too often. I spent my first two years of university on the internet.

By third year I had convinced the university to send me on a year abroad to Spain with a further scholarship and a grant. I wanted to join a prestigious debating society there and my real background was not going to cut it. So I decided to fabricate one of the French accents for the entire year. It was horrible, but so fantastical that everyone there believed me. My story would soon morph into a tale about my grandfather being involved with various intelligence agencies back in the day and that my father was a real estate mogul. I would find random houses on google map and tell my friends that I owned them. I also took a large loan to buy the right clothes to fit in and socialize and so I was accepted into the society and various parties that would otherwise look down on a poor Portuguese student.

Eventually I had to come back and complete my degree in France. I had little money, I was struggling to pay off my debt and I had no friends back here at university. I tried working on my dissertation but I couldn't concentrate. I could hardly eat. Then sometime in November a girl from Portugal that I was in love with since 2007 called me after a very long time. I don't know what I was thinking. I was tired of lying so I told her that I was in love with her. And surprisingly she reciprocated. Several weeks following the conversation I didn't hear back from her. Eventually, I got fed up and asked a mutual friend what he knew. He had her email password for whatever reason and showed me an exchange of messages she had with her cousin. She referred to me as "a guy she knew a long time ago" and she also had a crush on another guy at college. This compounded with my depression, lack of friends and lack of money drove me to email her about the messages (I told her some one random emailed me the messages). She wrote a long email about how she did love me but that I left and I'm too far away so it's pointless and that she didn't have the guts to tell me earlier. She hasn't kept in touch much since then.

I started having unhealthy thoughts and I had planned out my own suicide. I wasn't depressed so much anymore as I was bored. I had nothing to look forward to. All my job applications were rejected. I had no friends and would spend weeks in my own room. So instead I decided I would create something to look forward to. I plagiarized my entire final year dissertation so I could get caught and have my senate hearing. It was better than nothing. I was sitting comfortably on a 2:1 (3.7 gpa) and two weeks before my graduation I was told that I had to attend a senate hearing on plagiarism. Fantastic. I thought it would be a great opportunity to talk about my depression. My bouts with suicide. My lack of money. My lies. And they would slap me on the wrist, give me my 2:1 and let me graduate.

I was mistaken. They failed me on my dissertation and have ruled that I won't be allowed to resubmit it. Depression hit me again and I decided to do stuff to get my mind off things. So I raised some money for a cancer charity and I started working at a warehouse on minimum wage. Here, I'm helping an Eritrean Asylum seeker with his university applications as well.

But things aren't so bad. Somehow I've gotten an interview with one of the top consultancy firms in London. I'm also appealing the dissertation decision. I don't know where this story ends, and I don't know what kind of help I need. I haven't lied recently but I don't know how long that's going to last for. Anyway I thought it was a story worth sharing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
But if you were a liar, you wouldn't admit to being a liar so you must not be a liar..

But if you're not a liar, then the thread title would be a lie, and then that would make you a liar.

But if you were a liar, you wouldn't admit to being a liar so you must not be a liar..

But if you're not a liar, then the thread title would be a lie, and then that would make you a liar.

Divvy said:

Valhalla said:
You two said the same thing..and have almost the same avatar.... weird.

Yeah.. fuck. I'm outta here

pj

Banned
So I raised some money for a cancer charity and I started working at a warehouse on minimum wage. Here, I'm helping an Eritrean Asylum seeker with his university applications as well.

mmhmm

For some reason when I read through the post my first thought was "this would be a good movie." On another note, I don't have nearly as big of a problem as the OP, but I often find myself lying without even thinking about the fact that I'm lying. Later I'll think about it, and wonder "why did I lie about something stupid like that?"

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Serious post:

Yeah I think you should go see a psychologist. If anything it will give you a good outlet for whatever anxiety is causing you to lie so much.

Revenant

I've known some compulsive liars... they can be absolutely frustrating to deal with, especially when they do it to "one up" other people.

Valhalla said:
Disturbing.

OP I think you need to talk to a professional therapist. I'm sure there are free ones in the UK, right?

Valhalla

Banned
Okay having read your story..i dont believe you at all.

Dunno...guess thats the problem with telling everyone youre a liar.

LEts pretend for a minute youre telling the truth..

If thats the case, keep lying, you dont seem to have a problem doing it and most people dont seem to care enough to/or can stop you.

Keep the charade up until it all comes crashing down, itll be epic.

Maybe aversion therapy would help. Every time someone catches you in a lie, let them hit you in the mouth. Or tell them you lied immediately after the lie. Eventually you'll associate lying with getting hit in the mouth.

moral of the story:

there are consequences to your actions.

I for one think you should start regularly seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist. You obviously have more problems than gaf can work out.

Divvy said:

Screen%20shot%202011-05-03%20at%2022.49.15.png

"Um... true. I'll go true. That was easy."

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
What is the need to seek approval from others? Be who you are. Anyway, I doubt that story is true, but damn, Chateau in France? Google maps? I dunno what to say. Nicely written, though.

Degen

Oh my god, I knew a compulsive liar a few years ago and wanted to punch him in the face on so many occasions. He would always do it to try and make himself sound great, and everyone around him caught on to what he was doing but avoided the drama of calling his stupid ass out on it. Seriously, though. Fuck that guy.

hope this helps

Um....

I think you have bad luck, in the sense if your lies were caught and you suffered their consequences much sooner, you wouldn't reach that far, you would understand what kind of consequences, but sounds you got those so late that their consequences were pretty big, basically the ball grow so large that definetly was gonna hurt.

I think you have to try a professional or something, you need to express all this to someone that can really help you (and it's not GAF).

PD: Also the whole history seems too crazy, but I'll go along with it and believe you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The aspect of your story where you decide to plagiarize your entire dissertation to get a Senate hearing which you could then use as a platform for your own absolution was pretty ill-advised; plagiarism in academia is looked upon as worse than doing nothing at all. At the same time, I recognize your compulsion and depression are likely legitimate psychological disorders and you would deeply benefit from treatment. Good luck to you.

Korey

Salvor.Hardin, Sethos, LQX are the same person. Salvor has been planning this post for years, and his alt accounts are there to make his lie post even more intriguing.

And it nearly worked.

Edit: Valhalla, the junior who pointed this out, is also the same person as the above. Him pointing it out makes the post even more intriguing, and to throw everyone off the scent.

Nix

Banned
I think the question everyone is really wondering is: Was that cousin a girl or a boy?

No need to answer, can't trust the reply. I'd say try to appeal to the college, while at the same time taking some courses at a community college or out-reach program to stacken up your repetoir in the meanwhile. If I heard correctly, you're in England now? I heard Kings College has a good outreach program, European brothers, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to write a novella about you.

My suggestion? Keep lying. It's gotten you far in life, and no matter what society tells you, it's a useful skill used by almost everyone, every day, in every walk of life. Make use of your talent.

LQX

Valhalla said:
A weird Fringe moment indeed and the coincidence is actually tripping me out. Someone better screencap it.

Well, you're life is about x10 better than mine if that helps

LQX said:
A weird Fringe moment indeed and the coincidence is actually tripping me out. Someone better screencap it.

Not only that, but you two also joined on the same day and same month.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
good story if it's true.

I really really hate people that compulsively lie though. Not sure I even feel sympathy for your situation, since you made it yourself.

FrenchToastDisciple said:
For some reason when I read through the post my first thought was "this would be a good movie." On another note, I don't have nearly as big of a problem as the OP, but I often find myself lying without even thinking about the fact that I'm lying. Later I'll think about it, and wonder "why did I lie about something stupid like that?"
Rushmore?

besada

Banned
Go find a counselor and do some CBT work to help you control the compulsion to lie. You know now that it's not a good way to live your life, so go get some help and move past it.

Very brave post, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom