• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a compulsive liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lying is fun, but only in moderation.

Sounds to me like you're an unhappy person because you are bored with life, and lying is some measure of fulfillment. It also seems you are extremely short-sighted and probably a sucker for instant gratification. I don't know what you should do, but you need to do something before one of your actions really messes you up. Your self-esteem should be a priority though - people aren't going to like you if you're false. Maybe you don't know who you are?

I appreciate the concern. And I deserve all the flack that I'm getting. I've never had counseling before and I don't know if it could really help me. I'm cynical of such things, but I'm almost kind of afraid that I'll break down if I think too much about it.

Anyway, while this doesn't prove much in my post, it should give a taste of my compulsion during the senate hearing.

lb40K.png

dr_octagon

Banned
Taking the first letter of each paragraph from the original post, I think it's clear what you are really trying to say.

Don't trust my accent and begin extensive investigations immediately, believe / Batman (?).

Maybe you wish to lead us on a wild goose chase, I hope you like foie gras cos that goose shall be caught.

besada

Banned
Salvor.Hardin said:
I've never had counseling before and I don't know if it could really help me. I'm cynical of such things, but I'm almost kind of afraid that I'll break down if I think too much about it.

I never had, either, until recently. My divorce has left me shaken and unsure, and I think the counseling has been helping. My problems are probably much different than yours, but CBT is supposed to be very effective for controlling compulsions.

And if you have insurance (or a national health program) it's probably free or cheap, and it's not as if you have a lot of other stuff going on to occupy you. Particularly, if you've been considering self-harm, go see someone. I know it's scary, but you've created an ugly place for yourself and you may need a little help to get out of it.

Hang in there.

Salvor.Hardin said:
I appreciate the concern. And I deserve all the flack that I'm getting. I've never had counseling before and I don't know if it could really help me. I'm cynical of such things, but I'm almost kind of afraid that I'll break down if I think too much about it.

Anyway, while this doesn't prove much in my post, it should give a taste of my compulsion during the senate hearing.

lb40K.png

Get yourself diagnosed as a compulsive liar by a psychiatrist. Seek treatment with a shrink. Bring those papers to the committee. If it's a real disease you have, they won't kick you out.

Is there cake at the end of this thread?

But seriously, talk to a shrink and see what steps you can take to help straighten out your life/depression.

Fuck em all. To politics with you if you have a knack for making people believe such elaborate fabrication. You could be a world leader. You must have some type of charisma and intelligence to pull it all off.

Use it as a weapon against others, not yourself. Just find an appropriate outlet.

CFMOORE!

can't stand compulsive liars. my ex was one and it fucking annoyed me to all hell, especially with how convinced they are in their web of lies. It's frightening that such people can exist. I agree with others saying it can be a gift but only if you can somehow use it never to the disadvantage of people. If you can somehow use it for good and not evil then you might be onto something.

Acerac

Banned
dave is ok said:
Liars do good in life. You'll be fine
Indeed. Don't worry so much.

Morals are horrible if you end up with them. You should be happy to be able to live life so freely.

This thread could be mostly bullshit, but I do believe you faked your dissertation and that you're depressed. Don't think that makes you a compulsive liar, tho.

It sounds to me that you've done a whole lot of obsessing, self-diagnosing, trying to fit everything into a narrative... resulting in your view of yourself as a compulsive liar. This memory of your cousin touching you... how old is that memory?

So basically: plagiarism is stupid, and if you're really depressed, seek help. (Doesn't sound as grandiose as a diagnosis of compulsive lying, but it seems to me closer to the mark.)

Pretty much your only chance of fixing the school situation is to see a psychiatrist and get medical documentation explaining your depression, lying, etc. That said, the admin's letter to you makes you sound like a piece of shit, so I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

There are many different ways your life could go now. Here are two: i. try to figure out who you are and then rebuild your life without constantly lying. ii. leave your current residence behind, move abroad, and lie your way into a life of opulence. consider changing your name. and perhaps extend your deceptions beyond lies and move into cons that benefit your bank account. not sure why I'm giving you advice when you've been practicing this shit fo ryears.

ronito

Dude, I used to have that problem in elementary school and my freshman year in high school. I'd make up crazy shit all the time. Ever since then I've been honest. Not because of some great moral reason, it's just easier to tell the truth. Happier ever since.

True story......or is it?

Enco

Acerac said:
Indeed. Don't worry so much.

Morals are horrible if you end up with them. You should be happy to be able to live life so freely.
Hah. What a load of garbage.

Divvy said:
Serious post:

Yeah I think you should go see a psychologist. If anything it will give you a good outlet for whatever anxiety is causing you to lie so much.
This.

Good luck op (even if the whole story is made up).

Psychiatrists will believe anything. Their time is scarce and they typically do not use talk therapy of any sort. They want to make a diagnosis, put you on medication, and monitor your pgoress from there. As long as you riddle your story with a few key words and phrases, they'll give you the diagnosis you want. For a compulsive liar like the OP, a trip to wikipedia before his appointment and an emotional retelling of his story will ensure success. If he can't get a psychiatrist or two on his he doesn't deserve to call himself a liar, much less a compulsive one.

Enco said:
Hah. What a load of garbage.
Read this.

Fact: modern civilization depends on the vast majority of its participants to observe some sort of moral code, for the sake of stability.

Those who ignore that code get the advantage of operating on a level not even considered by 99.9% of the population.

Tuck

Valhalla said:
You two said the same thing..and have almost the same avatar.... weird.

Slow clap...

As for the OP, I'm not really sure what to say. I don't like lying. It is too hard to keep your shit straight.

Cereal KiIIer said:
Get yourself diagnosed as a compulsive liar by a psychiatrist. Seek treatment with a shrink. Bring those papers to the committee. If it's a real disease you have, they won't kick you out.
Yeah but his whole fucking education is a lie! The guy shouldn't even be in uni!

Man I should do that haha

Conceited said:
Everybody lies, so stop worrying about it so much and use the skill to get all the pussy you can.
Posts like this are why I joined GAF. My desk now has two nostril-shaped coffee stains. Good show.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I used to lie big time just up until a few years back, I started getting forgetful and couldn't keep track of my lies anymore. Back then I was damn good at it tho, always made it believable and could almost always tell when someone was lying to me

He would be a terrible spy. He would end up becoming disillusioned and depressed or blowing his cover. His total lack of intimacy with himself would be his downfall; a spy needs a strong sense of self even if he or she is living in a way that contradicts those beliefs. The OP has no beliefs. He has no interests. He lives to impress others by making himself appear wealthy, interesting, and intelligent through lies. Now he's having a crisis of identity which climaxed in his ridiculously stupid and immature dissertation plot.

milanbaros

Member?
You're an idiot for handing in that dissertation.

Any Uni would have given you any extension you needed after just one trip to the doctor talking of your deppression. You could have got months to do it and could've graduated at Christmas.

Unis don't give a shit about handing out extensions because ultimately the deadline is just for organisational purposes not part of the assessment. They don't want them all handed in at different times. If you and a few others take an extra 6 months they don't care because you met the criteria for the degree.

Very foolish on your part.

Deified Data said:
Those who ignore that code get the advantage of operating on a level not even considered by 99.9% of the population.

Wow, sounds like you're outsmarting the rest of us! Dude, that's genius! Where do I sign up?

Dude, I know I shouldn't unnecessarily insult juniors, but seriously, THINK about things before talking.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
He would be a terrible spy. He would end up becoming disillusioned and depressed or blowing his cover. His total lack of intimacy with himself would be his downfall; a spy needs a strong sense of self even if he or she is living in a way that contradicts those beliefs. The OP has no beliefs. He has no interests. He lives to impress others by making himself appear wealthy, interesting, and intelligent through lies. Now he's having a crisis of identity which climaxed in his ridiculously stupid and immature dissertation plot.

Pretty much this. I didn't think much about lying before. It was a combination of my year in America of having lots of friends and coming back to Britain where I had none that I realized how tired I was of myself. It's not a moral I've learned and I don't think that lying itself is harmful or wrong. I just feel like I made the wrong decisions.

milanbaros said:
You're an idiot for handing in that dissertation.

Any Uni would have given you any extension you needed after just one trip to the doctor talking of your deppression. You could have got months to do it and could've graduated at Christmas.

Unis don't give a shit about handing out extensions because ultimately the deadline is just for organisational purposes not part of the assessment. They don't want them all handed in at different times. If you and a few others take an extra 6 months they don't care because you met the criteria for the degree.

Very foolish on your part.

Agreed. It was very stupid of me and I would have gotten the extension had I used any excuse. The university is letting me graduate in Winter and I've convinced my department to let me graduate with an "Ordinary Degree with Distinction". They've even taken my dissertation result out of my official transcript. But it's not an Honours degree and the system in Scotland is such that you would be expected to have an Honours degree. Which is why I'm appealing the decision.

confused said:
For some reason I always thought I could get away with a fabricated resume, leading to a better job. Never actually had the balls to try it though. You are truly a god amongst men

People lie on their resumes all the time. In fact to pass the investment bank online numerical tests for my summer internship I set up numerous accounts using numerous email addresses. If I failed once, I would try again. The questions repeat a lot so you end up saving a lot of time.

confused

Banned
Salvor.Hardin said:

For some reason I always thought I could get away with a fabricated resume, leading to a better job. Never actually had the balls to try it though. You are truly a god amongst men

perryfarrell said:
Wow, sounds like you're outsmarting the rest of us! Dude, that's genius! Where do I sign up?

Dude, I know I shouldn't unnecessarily insult juniors, but seriously, THINK about things before talking.
Odd. Don't recall outing myself as a sociopath. I have a set of personal values that I subscribe to, thereby eliminating myself from that category.

I do my best not to unnecessarily insult anyone, but that's just me. Perhaps asking me what I meant by my post before commenting on it would have been wise, you know, seriously THINK things through. Ignoring.

vas_a_morir said:
You are unhappy because you are clearly a sociopath. Never once did you ever mention how your actions made other people feel... it was all about you. This could be an episode of Dexter.
Hrmm. Is he unhappy because he's a sociopath, or do his actions bring him guilt? If he were a sociopath, would he care? Or is he just a depressive personality?

All questions for the OP, I guess.

Fascinating thread. I used to lie a lot, mostly to myself though. When lying to others it was always to cover my background because I was embarrassed by it but, as lies tend to, these simple lies sprawled out into things I couldn't really control anymore. I lied to my girlfriend about my own age for three years for example, as that lie was covering others I'd made.
I'm over it now though thankfully, the downside being that I still don't like myself much.
Good luck man :)

Chiave

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Fascinating thread. I used to lie a lot, mostly to myself though. When lying to others it was always to cover my background because I was embarrassed by it but, as lies tend to, these simple lies sprawled out into things I couldn't really control anymore. I lied to my girlfriend about my own age for three years for example, as that lie was covering others I'd made.
I'm over it now though thankfully, the downside being that I still don't like myself much.
Good luck man :)
Same here. Didn't lie about my age but I lied about a lot of stupid shit. Always bit me in the ass. I usually lied to annoying people who like me that I hate.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I know there are a lot of compulsive and pathelogical liars that think the people around them don't know they are lying. Oh they know, they just don't want to embarrass you. In my limited experience with the phenomenon, the compulsive liars I knew came from military families that moved a lot.

Divvy said:
But if you were a liar, you wouldn't admit to being a liar so you must not be a liar..

But if you're not a liar, then the thread title would be a lie, and then that would make you a liar.

But if you were a liar, you wouldn't admit to being a liar so you must not be a liar..

But if you're not a liar, then the thread title would be a lie, and then that would make you a liar.

All I could think about when I read this

Labyrinth-Two-Door-Riddle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom