• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a compulsive liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorrin

soze.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
I recently stopped hanging out with a long-time friend cuz I was sick and tired of the complusive lying and the freaking emotional issues the guy had. I'd been best friends with the guy since 1st grade, cuz he's got a good heart down inside and he's funny and outgoing and all, but I cant deal with it at this age.

Its usually always lying about stupid shit, too, and its so damn obvious he's lying. He admits he lies as well and doesn't seem to do a damn thing about stopping it, nor does he feel any remorse for doing it. The problem is that while most of the lies are insignificant, some are more serious. He frequently cheated on any girlfriend he ever had(the relationships never lasted long, obviously, as no girl could ever trust him). He's been caught stealing from some of his other friends. He's just got issues and I'm done dealing with it.

Fuck liars. Seriously.

agrajag said:
what's the diff between a compulsive and a pathological liar?
Nothing, by most people's definition.

Seanspeed said:
I recently stopped hanging out with a long-time friend cuz I was sick and tired of the complusive lying and the freaking emotional issues the guy had. I'd been best friends with the guy since 1st grade, cuz he's got a good heart down inside and he's funny and outgoing and all, but I cant deal with it at this age.

Its usually always lying about stupid shit, too, and its so damn obvious he's lying. He admits he lies as well and doesn't seem to do a damn thing about stopping it, nor does he feel any remorse for doing it. The problem is that while most of the lies are insignificant, some are more serious. He frequently cheated on any girlfriend he ever had(the relationships never lasted long, obviously, as no girl could ever trust him). He's been caught stealing from some of his other friends. He's just got issues and I'm done dealing with it.

Fuck liars. Seriously.

Nothing, by most people's definition.

My lies don't hurt my friends or those close to me. A lot of them are very petty and some very shallow. And being part of the whole white-knight gaf culture, I'm the guy that gets cheated on anyway.

You have shamed the people from your country. Now we can understand why Pakistan is hated upon and looked down upon by many...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just bumped a 2 year old thread.

Time to die.

entremet

My lies don't hurt my friends or those close to me. A lot of them are very petty and some very shallow. And being part of the whole white-knight gaf culture, I'm the guy that gets cheated on anyway.

Read this book. I had similar struggles in the past but not as compulsive as you.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0970693842/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But practical reasons not to lie.

-Kills self esteem. You're creating a false self and there will always be a tension there
-Kills trust. Get caught and you may damage a relationship severely. Not worth it.
-You have to remember lies. A good liar remembers his lies. This takes too much mental energy.

All in all, it's just a more burdensome life to live. One filled with paranoia and one in which you never reveal your true self for others intimately.

You have shamed the people from your country. Now we can understand why Pakistan is hated upon and looked down upon by many...

Time to die.

Well this thread was just linked on the gaming side so not entirely your fault.

braves01

Banned

Time to die.

Well, at least now I know whose posts never to trust.

M3d10n

Even if it's innocent, when people figure out you're dropping lies around on a regular basis they won't really trust you anymore for anything. Some might pretend they do (ha!) while others will simply start avoiding you.

In my humble opinion, your lies are a mean of building an exterior persona you think is more adequate and more likable than the real you. However, it makes your gains seem hollow because it wasn't you who actually achieved them: it was your fictional self. The anxiety of being caught and always having "things to hide" will also wear you down after years.

The lies are a shield which gets heavier and heavier as the years go by. To get to drop the shield, you need to start to change how you view your true self so you aren't afraid of showing it to others.

Would love to see how you are doing now, if you ended up seeing a psychologist and if you were able to overcome your insecurities and depression. You are very self conscious, I always imagined pathological liars tend to believe their own bullshit after a while.

Wait, you're Pakistani?

I'm studying psychology right now, so this is all super fascinating to read. You've been on quite the ride.

Raiden

Banned

Time to die.

Jesus, i read through the entire thing up until your post to only then realise its already 2 years old.

Ended up joining a leading research institute using my dissertation. I guess there's hope for the hopeless.

Other than that, I couldn't be better :)
Glad to hear that. How were you able to overcome the constant lying? I'm sure landing a nice job boasted your self esteem so you didn't need to resort to fictions about being from an affluent background etc?

I can relate to some of what you said, although I never lied compulsively initially when I moved to the USA from Pakistan( I was 12 when I moved). You grow out of it I guess. But in your case if its a psychological problem then I'm sure it must have been hard.

I ask because I have a relative (uncle) who is a pathological liar and a drug addict. Its come to a point where no one takes him seriously. He continues to ask for help but everyone just believes its another form of manipulation to some ulterior motive. That's the tragedy if people see through your lies, which they usually do.

Would love to see how you are doing now, if you ended up seeing a psychologist and if you were able to overcome your insecurities and depression. You are very self conscious, I always imagined pathological liars tend to believe their own bullshit after a while.

Ended up joining a leading research institute using my dissertation. I guess there's hope for the hopeless.

As for how things proceeded with the university, they let me graduate on the condition that I revealed how I fooled the plagiarism software, Turnitin, into accepting my paper without highlighting any significant levels of plagiarism.

I'm told they've discussed my story a few times in various lectures since I've graduated because the department was impressed by how I got through the software.

Glad to hear that. How were you able to overcome the constant lying? I'm sure landing a nice job boasted your self esteem so you didn't need to resort to fictions about being from an affluent background etc?

I can relate to some of what you said, although I never lied compulsively initially when I moved to the USA from Pakistan( I was 12 when I moved). You grow out of it I guess. But in your case if its a psychological problem then I'm sure it must have been hard.

I ask because I have a relative (uncle) who is a pathological liar and a drug addict. Its come to a point where no one takes him seriously. He continues to ask for help but everyone just believes its another form of manipulation to some ulterior motive. That's the tragedy if people see through your lies, which they usually do.

Having a good job certainly doesn't hurt. I can't say I've grown out of it. I think I've just come a few steps closer to realizing the person I wanted to be.

Newline

What a story man, you may say your life seems boring but that was an interesting read. Your path may not be the easiest one but you are surely living. Stay strong!

Edit: Just realised its a 2 year old thread, how are things?

What is up with the bump?

Some folk were sharing the thread on the Gaming side to discredit my posts which is kind of silly given that we were discussing opinions. I guess that led to the bump?

What a story man, you may say your life seems boring but that was an interesting read. Your path may not be the easiest one but you are surely living. Stay strong!

Edit: Just realised its a 2 year old thread, how are things?

Shared an update a few of posts above yours.

Zaptruder

Banned
You are not alone OP. If people try and suggest they rarely lie, they're lying.

Over the years, I've come to feel that lying just creates a web of inconvenient things that you have to remember.

I feel it's better to not just give a fuck and roll with it. That's not to say I don't lie, but they're for mild things to stop people from prying with small talk.

How was your weekend? "Great. Busy busy!"

Who wants to explain to their coworkers that they spent 20 hours of a 48 hour weekend playing FF14ARR? :p

I knew a guy like the OP.

Everyone knew he was full of shit and lying. We just didn't have the heart to call him out on it. We just laughed behind his back.

Until we finally did call him out and he was so embarrassed that he decided rather than face the truth he needed to find new friends to believe his lies.

OP, chances are most people know you're full of shit. Please get professional help.

I appreciate the concern. And I deserve all the flack that I'm getting. I've never had counseling before and I don't know if it could really help me. I'm cynical of such things, but I'm almost kind of afraid that I'll break down if I think too much about it.

Anyway, while this doesn't prove much in my post, it should give a taste of my compulsion during the senate hearing.

lb40K.png

The emergence of an actual diagnosis of depression could constitute emergent new evidence.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Now I think every post by Salvor is a lie. Maybe he lied about being a compulsive liar so I would think everything he said was a lie.

Fuck it, I'm out.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I always wonder how many compulsive liars reside on GAF. In going to guess, a lot.

Prez

As for how things proceeded with the university, they let me graduate on the condition that I revealed how I fooled the plagiarism software, Turnitin, into accepting my paper without highlighting any significant levels of plagiarism.

I'm told they've discussed my story a few times in various lectures since I've graduated because the department was impressed by how I got through the software.

How did you do it?

jtb

Banned
Wait, how did you fool the software? I assume the loophole is fixed so it should be safe to share the story?

edit: yeah I want to know too!

Tell us.

I'm out of academia. Let me know.

Quite frankly, the OP comes off as a roguish 'Magnificent Bastard.' Like, they could make a movie about you.

Oare

Sorry to break it to you, OP, especially after two years, but...
If you're a liar, it also seems an awful lot of people have been lying to you too.

A few hints could have pointed you towards the terrible truth.
Like the fact that you had to go through a UCAS application to enter a university in France.
Or the fact the "senate hearing" report you posted picture of came in English rather than in French.

Alas, my poor friend... This entire time, you weren't in France!
You were in the UK!

akira28

OP: I am the one. Who guided you....this far.
All you know. And all you feel. Nobody must know my name.
For nobody would understand.

And you kill what you fear, and you fear what you don't understand...

What, the dissertation that was entirely plagiarised? Wouldn't a 'leading research institute' notice that?

Even if what you're saying is true (and it sounds like a load of bollocks, to be frank) you're still being totally dishonest, profiting from someone else's work. There's nothing to be proud of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom