• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a compulsive liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's quite an amazing story.

Get a pretty strong vibe that you're pretty intelligent to boot.

Imagination trumps science indeed.

How did you do it?

Wait, how did you fool the software? I assume the loophole is fixed so it should be safe to share the story?

edit: yeah I want to know too!

Tell us.

I'm out of academia. Let me know.

Quite frankly, the OP comes off as a roguish 'Magnificent Bastard.' Like, they could make a movie about you.

It was pretty simple to be honest. For those unaware of how the system works, you submit a word file and the software reads through it, highlights the portions that match up with its vast database of papers and articles, and presents a version of your paper with a 'percentage of plagiarism' to the department.

I took screen captures of the text of my entire word file, knit it together in jpegs and pasted it back into the word file. That way, the software was unable to read the jpegs (it can only read text). I left about 15% of varying text scattered throughout the document as a form of plagiarism to avoid suspicion - 15% plagiarism is a healthy amount and shows that you've probably quoted a few articles and papers.

Sorry to break it to you, OP, especially after two years, but...
If you're a liar, it also seems an awful lot of people have been lying to you too.

A few hints could have pointed you towards the terrible truth.
Like the fact that you had to go through a UCAS application to enter a university in France.
Or the fact the "senate hearing" report you posted picture of came in English rather than in French.

Alas, my poor friend... This entire time, you weren't in France!
You were in the UK!

lol I edited all the original countries in my OP.

Even if what you're saying is true (and it sounds like a load of bollocks, to be frank) you're still being totally dishonest, profiting from someone else's work. There's nothing to be proud of here.

In all honesty, I was actually quite amused. Half of my dissertation was plagiarized straight from a nobel prize winning paper by a very prominent researcher.

Wait... OP sounds like a genius. Like Le Comte de Monte Cristo, he's gaming the system with his genius intellect.

Props to you, OP.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
[I just had to]
Lying, on the other hand, is the masterful skill of the politician.

Now, morals aside, you should like the magnificient bastard your namesake is, and i'd happily see a movie about that story, in a Catch Me If You Can fashion.

Portugeezer

It was pretty simple to be honest. For those unaware of how the system works, you submit a word file and the software reads through it, highlights the portions that match up with its vast database of papers and articles, and presents a version of your paper with a 'percentage of plagiarism' to the department.

I took screen captures of the text of my entire word file, knit it together in jpegs and pasted it back into the word file. That way, the software was unable to read the jpegs (it can only read text). I left about 15% of varying text scattered throughout the document as a form of plagiarism to avoid suspicion - 15% plagiarism is a healthy amount and shows that you've probably quoted a few articles and papers.

I will totally not be doing this...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I also lied... occasionally, and sometimes on major stuff too. Things-that-get-me-a-job scale/stuff.

I also sometimes lied about stuff when I am just too darn lazy for some reason to go to the office and I made up stuff about me or a member of my family getting sick or something like that.

Not really proud of it.... but eh....

Cromat

I knew a guy like this. OP, it is very likely that everyone around you knows that you're constantly lying. They just don't say anything because it is too awkward to make that confrontation.

The guy I knew would constantly lie, usually to make an impression but sometimes I'm not even sure what kind of impression he wanted to project. For example, he once told us that he came back home but forgot his key, so living on the 5th floor he went up to a neighbor on the 9th floor and jumped from the neighbor's balcony to his own balcony. Not only is this 100% untrue given the fact that we all knew he lied constantly, it is also more insane and stupid than cool.

Anyway OP, you should be aware that people are not nearly as stupid as you think. If you meet new people they will believe your lies, but after a while the inconsistencies and various stupid shit you have to come up with will catch up with you and you will end up being laughed at behind your back.

I deeply suspect that the guy I knew had some psychological issues - in fact while reading an article about Psychopathy I was struck by how many of the attributes they listed he exhibits. Sad thing was that if he just stopped lying he would actually be pretty cool. For your own good and the good of people around you I suggest you investigate this issue and try to overcome it.

Wow, that's kind of awesome.

-Deimos

I find it hard to believe that you lied to get into university and got multiple scholarships. Sounds like something out of a movie.

edit: This thread be old

mooooose

I used to lie a lot. I lied to my ex for years about tons of things.

I lie less now. My biggest current lie is I stupidly told a girl that my mom is from Italy when in actuality my grandmother was from Italy. And I told my friend I knew someone I didn't actually know. That's about it.

Also, I'm sorry your cousin touched you man. That's fucked.

Note to self: doubt the veracity of Salvor Haldin in all debates on GAF.

What I learned at university level debating is that lying doesn't help. I'm sure someone else will attest to this, but in the college debating circuit you're judged primarily by the logic through which you construct your argument. Using political and economic precedent is frowned upon, so there isn't much room to wiggle in any bullshit.

Of course I learned that the hard way. Also, in the debating room, chances are that at least one person in the hall knows more about you in the field that you're bullshitting.

However, a Model United Nations event is an excellent platform to lie during a speech and especially during negotiation sessions. For those not in the know, the group involved in passing a resolution usually wins the event. In high school, about an hour into negotiations, I took a sheet and labeled it 'Attendance'. I let it pass around until it came back to me. I erased the part where I had written 'Attendance' and substituted it with 'Votes'. I then stapled that sheet to my resolution and handed it in to the judges. With clear majority, my resolution passed. Of course had the judges not been disinterested high school teachers. they would have tried to verify the votes. But they didn't.

So yeah, luck plays a huge part in bullshit.

Zaptruder

Banned
What I learned at university level debating is that lying doesn't help. I'm sure someone else will attest to this, but in the college debating circuit you're judged primarily by the logic through which you construct your argument. Using political and economic precedent is frowned upon, so there isn't much room to wiggle in any bullshit.

Of course I learned that the hard way. Also, in the debating room, chances are that at least one person in the hall knows more about you in the field that you're bullshitting.

However, a Model United Nations event is an excellent platform to lie during a speech and especially during negotiation sessions. For those not in the know, the group involved in passing a resolution usually wins the event. In high school, about an hour into negotiations, I took a sheet and labeled it 'Attendance'. I let it pass around until it came back to me. I erased the part where I had written 'Attendance' and substituted it with 'Votes'. I then stapled that sheet to my resolution and handed it in to the judges. With clear majority, my resolution passed. Of course had the judges not been disinterested high school teachers. they would have tried to verify the votes. But they didn't.

So yeah, luck plays a huge part in bullshit.

Sounds convincing.

Doubts Salvor.Haldin.

Seriously though, I would be wary of any facts you throw out during an argument now. I mean, as a good rule of thumb, I should be wary of everyone's 'facts' on the internet anyway... but I'm lazy man. I can help it if I assume you got your sources right if I don't know enough to contradict it... but I'm lazy to... and I can't help that! Or maybe I can, but I'm too lazy to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom