• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

Hoo-doo

Banned
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ess-powerful-than-ps3-xbox-360-developers-say

Sources say that Nintendo's new console is not even equal to the current generation

Nintendo
www.nintendo-europe.com
Nintendo's upcoming Wii U console may generate full HD graphics, but it's not up to the graphics power of the Xbox 360 or the PS3, according to developers familiar with the hardware who spoke on a condition of anonymity to GamesIndustry International.

"No, it's not up to the same level as the PS3 or the 360.," said one developer who's been working with the Wii U. What does that mean? "The graphics are just not as powerful," reiterated the source.

This developer is not alone in their opinion. Another developer at a major company confirmed this point of view. "Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360," said the source. "There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."

Nintendo is also hampered in some ways by the tablet controller. Putting something innovative into a new console is pretty much expected, and the tablet controller is Nintendo's big innovation for the Wii U, not raw horsepower. The tablet controller, with its color LCD touchscreen, is not going to be an inexpensive component. This would tend to push the price of the Wii U (which consists of a Wii U console plus a single tablet controller, according to sources) higher; keeping the retail price of the whole package low means cutting back on the capability of the GPU, CPU, RAM and other components in order to keep the price at the desired level.

More at the link. Possible April fools joke?

guek

Banned
Zlwlo.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All of today's console power rumors are weird and contradictory to many other sources. As much as I love reading this stuff it's getting to the point where there's too much confusion. I guess we just need to wait for solid info. Still, this one is almost definitely wrong.

"The graphics are just not as powerful,"

Master dev troll.

The Wii and the DS prove that the company's games can be magnificent regardless of their hardware's technical prowess. Consequently, I'm personally apathetic as to whether this is true or not. Such a move would be very puzzling from a company determined to get the third parties on board.

I am skeptical as to the quotes' accuracy. The language is incredibly childish, like a child fanboy trying to apply technical jargon that he doesn't understand.

FoneBone

The article's "oh, come on" moment: Some developers are looking at the PS3/PS Vita combo as being more powerful than the Wii U with tablet controller, and easier to program, too. "You can do everything with that combo that you can with the Wii U, and more," said the source. Nintendo's bid for a unique play experience with the tablet controller may not be completely successful.

kami_sama

This is chaos. We have a lot of sources that say that it's more powerful than the others, and then we have some sources that say it's the other way around. I don't know what to think.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
CVG said:
"Another developer agreed: "Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360. There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."

Man, now we have someone saying that it is more powerful, just as powerful, and not as powerful. Whichever is it?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342452/wii-u-graphics-less-powerful-than-ps3-xbox-360-developers/

SykoTech

Quality over power

Lol, the classic fall back.

I'm done with these rumors, but at this point, it seems likely that this gen will repeat itself for me. Get a Wii U for Nintendo exclusives, get a PS4 (or 720 if it gets interesting exclusives this time) for everything else due to it being more powerful. I'm good with that.

Patapwn

Those quotes are just way too convenient

"So guys, we asked some WiiU developers how powerful it is and one anonymous dev said "Yeah, it sucks". Amazingly, another dev from a different company when all freestye on the quote above and said "Yeah, the dude above is totally right. And don't even get me started on the shaders!"/"

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If this actually happened I would refuse to buy the console, even if it meant not playing "HD" Zelda.

Top Bottom