• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

I'm not going to believe anything until we know for sure, but the fact I could believe this says it all.

Don't do this Ninty. Put some power in it. Please!

Nintendo is also hampered in some ways by the tablet controller. Putting something innovative into a new console is pretty much expected, and the tablet controller is Nintendo's big innovation for the Wii U, not raw horsepower. The tablet controller, with its color LCD touchscreen, is not going to be an inexpensive component. This would tend to push the price of the Wii U (which consists of a Wii U console plus a single tablet controller, according to sources) higher; keeping the retail price of the whole package low means cutting back on the capability of the GPU, CPU, RAM and other components in order to keep the price at the desired level.

I feel like this was always the case. I said that from the start.

Frankly, it makes sense.

Foxix Von

If this turns out to be true it's really not that surprising. Especially considering they're probably to be price competitive with current gen consoles and they have a whole screen bundled with the thing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, it won't look that good. It'll look better, just like with every other Zelda "tech demo-to-final product"...

Not sure if serious?

As with most consoles, you can make these "in engine" scenes look fantastic, but the full game never gets very close to that.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I was just reading this in that gigantic mega thread and thinking to myself, I hope some fool doesn't think it's for real.

well oops!

Grinchy

Banned
Even if it were slightly more powerful than PS3/360, I wouldn't buy one. I can't wait for the day when someone creates a time machine so Nintendo can come back to the present. Then I can buy their products again.

Wazzim

Banned
I call fake, it's definitely more powerful.

pandoras-box.jpg

Nice one.

Look how flat Link is in the face and his clothing. It's just a simple model with a not even all that great ie worse than Mass Effect texture on it. The demo was really nothing impressive, unless your opinion is formed from a "I've never played anything but Nintendo consoles before" point of view. The little drops of light particles from the fairy were nice though.

I hope this is being used pejoratively.
I think it is.

How do you undercut 48 shader units on 7 year old XBox 360 in 20f'n12?!? Somebody must have ran a joke article a day too late.

Author of the article:

Steve Peterson

West Coast Editor

Steve Peterson has been in the game business for 30 years now as a designer (co-designer of the Champions RPG among others), a marketer (for various software companies) and a lecturer. Follow him on Twitter @20thLevel.

Nothing to add from his twitter yet anyway.

Also from the article:

Yeah after Darksiders developers said specifically how easy it was to get a game running on the tablet controller, I really doubt this. I believe they said it was pretty much just a few lines of code and they had the game on the controller. I doubt it's gotten harder since then.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
It was 1 room where you could move the camera and press a button to turn "day" to "night" which wasn't really all that impressive.

When you break that demo down... look at this pic.

Look how flat Link is in the face and his clothing. It's just a simple model with a not even all that great ie worse than Mass Effect texture on it. The demo was really nothing impressive, unless your opinion is formed from a "I've never played anything but Nintendo consoles before" point of view. The little drops of light particles from the fairy were nice though.

Holy crap you're right. I never realized all this time that those were shitty graphics.

Even if it were slightly more powerful than PS3/360, I wouldn't buy one. I can't wait for the day when someone creates a time machine so Nintendo can come back to the present. Then I can buy their products again.

So its about technology, and not games?

Damn, I've completely misunderstood this video gaming thing.

Then I can buy their products again.

Does Nintendo's lack of appropriate gigahertz so offend you?

popeutlal

If true, then Nintendo has balls of steel.

Nintendo might just release a last gen machine with more ram.

'Graphics will make you say wow' part two.

Unless gameindustrybiz thinks April fools is on the 2nd......................

How is it even possible to be LESS powerful than 7 year old tech? That has to be unprecedented.

I don't know. Is the 3DS clearly more powerful than the PSP?

So its about technology, and not games?

Damn, I've completely misunderstood this video gaming thing.
Video games are technology. You can't separate one from the other.

Centurion

Banned
it's probably a ps3 dev, seeings how they also talk about the vita/ps3 being a viable option for developers looking to make use of the WiiU tablet.

Hero

If this is a troll article for April's Fools, which I imagine it is, it's poor. He should've just claimed that it's two Wii's duct taped together.

If this is a legitimate article, which I doubt, it's poorly written and anonymous developer has no weight considering devs like Darksiders 2 have claimed otherwise. The fact that Epic, a company that has not been able to match their style of gaming to Nintendo hardware is now saying they can make games for Wii U also debunks this.

nordique

Oh boy

I seriously doubt the validity of that article.

Nevermind it coming out a day after April Fool's....

cloudyy

For me (and I'm probably the only one here on gaf), the less powerful the better. I don't want to pay over 300 bucks to play nintendo games.

Top Bottom