• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

PerF2.png
July 30th · Weekdays · 2:00pm · Cartoon Network

OMSKN.png

This season, like the previous, is a full 26 episodes, with the producers saying the 52nd episode ties into the first somehow. At Comic-Con, it was also confirmed that Blue Falcon and Dynomutt will be appearing in some capacity, continuing the first season's tradition of including other Hannah-Barbara characters in bit parts, such as Speed Buggy, Jabberjaw, Captain Caveman, The Funky Phantom, and the entire the main cast of Johnny Quest. Aside from that, however, not much is known about this season.​

FcLpJ.png

Mystery Incorporated has taken the entire Scooby-Doo concept in an entirely new direction. To begin with, there are character arcs and overarching plots, as well as recurring minor characters such as Mr. E. (the guy with all answers, voiced by Lewis Black), Mayor Jones (Fred's father, voiced by Gary Cole), Sheriff Bronson Stone (whose first name is actually "Sheriff," voiced by Patrick Warburton), Professor Pericles (a diabolical sometimes-ally talking parakeet, like Scooby, voiced by Udo Kier), and Angel Dynamite (basically Foxxy Cleopatra from Austin Powers 3, voiced by Vivica A. Fox.)

Unlike previously established canon, this show takes place in the town Crystal Cove instead of Coolsville. A southern Californian town with heavily Mexican-inspired architecture, Crystal Cove has had a long history of bad guys dressing up as spooks and then being busted, and even has tours and a museum dedicated to its rich "haunted" history. This causes trouble for the members of Mystery Incorporated, as the town derives a lot of tourist income from the mysteries the gang is trying to solve.

Most notably, Mystery Incorporated makes several key changes to the main cast in order to make them feel more like actual people. Fred is obsessed with building traps, even subscribing to magazines about it (that he tries to hide from others), Velma starts dating Shaggy but they break it off because he can't choose between her and Scooby, Daphne is devoted to Fred and not as much of a damsel, and Scooby... actually hasn't changed much, but he's also not the spotlight character he used to be now that equal time is being given to the others.

Here's some cool things from the first season (light spoilers): Vincent Van Ghoul (an obvious homage to Vincent Price and his character in The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo) is a minor character and actor in many low-budget classic monster movies that Shaggy and Scooby often watch. H.P. Hatecraft, a character based on Lovecraft, who writes novels about "Char Gar Gothakon, the beast which hath no name." Scrappy and Flim-Flam showing up in the first episode... as statues, with Fred remarking that they "never speak of that again." The return of the Hex Girls, including some kickass songs and a risque costume for Daphne.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If you want to get up quick, I suggest watching the first two and final two episodes of the first season. They go over why the gang is broken up at the start of this one, as well as cover the macguffin they (and the villains) are after. You'll also learn about the original Mystery Incorporated crew, and why they disappeared 20 years ago.

Oh and as a post-script, the show looks awesome in HD. Some of the best of any cartoon I've seen. It's a damned shame there's currently no Blu-ray for the first season, making Amazon Instant Video the only place you can buy the HD goodness.​

SMXtE.png

The series airs weekly on Cartoon Network, however if you can't watch it as it airs episodes will be available on Amazon Instant Video shortly after they hit television. The first 15 episodes are now available here, in HD, on Amazon Instant Video!

The first episode actually debuted on Cartoon Network Video weeks before the show began airing on television, however it appears to be gone now.​

W21T5.png

Gyyeb.png

Dai101

Banned
Since "A pup named Scooby-Doo" i've never followed anything from this franchise. I'm going to give this one a try.

Bruiserk

This was my favourite franchise as a kid. Haven't really watched since then. Maybe I'll give it a go for nostalgia sake.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The OP makes this show sound awesome. I guess I should check this out

EDIT: wait, they brought the Hex Girls back? NOSTALGIA!

I've been singing the praises of this show since it came out. It's easily the best scooby related anything ever!

Awesome show.

Dubble

This show is the best thing they've done to Scooby Doo since Zombie Island.

Seriously - it's good.

Stupid good. Like, Scooby Doo has no right being this good and yet here it is. I have seriously been waiting for Season 2 - especially after how Season 1 ended.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Seriously - it's good.

Stupid good. Like, Scooby Doo has no right being this good and yet here it is. I have seriously been waiting for Season 2 - especially after how Season 1 ended.

My brother and I loved the direct-to-video specials like Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost as kids but I've always been nervous that watching them again they wouldn't hold up. Do they?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The OP makes this show sound awesome. I guess I should check this out

EDIT: wait, they brought the Hex Girls back? NOSTALGIA!

dqktc.jpg

They have their own ep to themselves, and I can't remember but they might have popped up once or twice in the rest of the season.

My brother and I loved the direct-to-video specials like Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost as kids but I've always been nervous that watching them again they wouldn't hold up. Do they?

They kinda drag in the middle but they're still pretty great, the beginning and endings are some really top-notch stuff. The rest of the movies aren't worth going out of your way to watch IMO, although Cyber Chase is a guilty pleasure of mine because of the end sequence.

IMO it's:

1. Mystery Incorporated
...big gap here
2. Witch's Ghost
3. Zombie Isle
4. Pup Named Scooby-Doo
5. The original series
6. Thirteen Ghosts

The rest isn't worth ranking.

Seriously - it's good.

You and me both brother. CN keeps jerking my chain around though. :/

CorvoSol

So happy. The first season was vexing because it wasn't just unintentionally funny. That gag with Scrappy Doo was hilarious.

I think the third paragraph of the about the show has a typo confusing velma with daphne.

Also why isn't the first season on netflix streaming :/

The few episodes managed to catch were pleasantly surprising. More so due to the fact that the previous attempts at rebooting the series were all lackluster to say the least.

Ezduo

Banned
It's crazy how this franchise has been around since the late 60's and, besides Zombie Island, this is the first genuinely good incarnation of it. I also think this show has some of the best use of color I've ever seen in a cartoon.

On a slightly dimmer note, has it been confirmed that this is the last season of the show? I don't think Cartoon Network had it on their renewed list a few weeks ago and I vaguely recall one of the people who works on the series said this was it.

MC Safety

It's crazy how this franchise has been around since the late 60's and, besides Zombie Island, this is the first genuinely good incarnation of it. I also think this show has some of the best use of color I've ever seen in a cartoon.

On a slightly dimmer note, has it been confirmed that this is the last season of the show? I don't think Cartoon Network had it on their renewed list a few weeks ago and I vaguely recall one of the people who works on the series said this was it.

The original Scooby Doo mysteries were great fun.

I'm not sure how a show could survive for 40-plus years with no quality associated with it.

Really love this show, CN is just completely screwing it over.
Was doing really well at first

Season 1 was great, but I didn't get to finish the last couple of eps. Any place to stream it for free or is it paid only?
I know CN.com used to have them, not sure now. alot of episodes are on youtube at least.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My cable guide certainly isn't showing it for the 17th :(

I swear CN, if it doesn't happen on the 17th... heads will roll.

Can you confirm the mini-marathon on Sunday?

Season 1 was great, but I didn't get to finish the last couple of eps. Any place to stream it for free or is it paid only?

Paid only at this point I believe. :/ But uh, maybe YouTube may have them. Don't know. Haven't checked.

Also as mentioned there should be a mini-marathon this Sunday with the final five eps.

Nothing's been confirmed but from what I can tell, there isn't a team working on new eps, and considering the producer's comments about the 52nd episode it seems like the finale will tie up all the loose ends. :(

It hasn't been confirmed not to come back, if you're trying to be an optimist though. Anything could happen. And 52 episodes is great, no doubt about it. But yeah, I'm waiting for news on that too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Not only did CN screw up the scheduling like they do with all shows, I have not been able to find a rerun of this show at all.

I just can't believe how secretive they've been. I wish I could have put previews, commercials, or even screenshots in the OP. But nope, nothing. Not to mention no official release date. What are they hiding? All 26 episodes are done. They're sitting on them. What's the hold up?

I really liked Season 1...then they put it on some stupid mid season delay and I lost track of it. I'll have to circle back because this show is genuinely funny, well written, and visually interesting.

I dare say it is the best Scooby Doo there has ever been.

I really liked Season 1...then they put it on some stupid mid season delay and I lost track of it. I'll have to circle back because this show is genuinely funny, well written, and visually interesting.

I dare say it is the best Scooby Doo there has ever been.

I agree, quality is up there with Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost but the character development is an added bonus. Also like the over arcing mystery.

Blizzard

Banned
I used to watch Scooby Doo back in the day, and I really liked the Mystery Incorporated first season. They have character progression, presumably nods to adult audiences in places, funny stuff, self-parody, and even an overall plot! I'm happy they're doing a second! This and the Avatar animated series are my favorite modern animated shows. :) I really need to catch up on the Legend of Korra too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The art of the show is amazing. I think the colors are the best I have seen in anything animated imo.

It's definitely amazing in HD. I know some had misgivings about the character art at first, but everything in the series just works artistically. It looks awesome. Oozing with style.

I used to watch Scooby Doo back in the day, and I really liked the Mystery Incorporated first season. They have character progression, presumably nods to adult audiences in places, funny stuff, self-parody, and even an overall plot! I'm happy they're doing a second! This and the Avatar animated series are my favorite modern animated shows. :) I really need to catch up on the Legend of Korra too.

Yeah, cartoons these past few years have been pretty awesome. Really impressed how American animation has kinda reinvented and revitalized itself.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I swear CN, if it doesn't happen on the 17th... heads will roll.

Can you confirm the mini-marathon on Sunday?
Yeah, I checked on the marathon at the same time and it did show up.

My 5 y/o LOVES this show. It is one of her favorites. I'm not as into it as I am some of her other shows (Thundercats, DC Nation), but it is much more watchable for grownups than any of its predecessors. She's going to be pretty excited to hear it's back. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My 5 y/o LOVES this show. It is one of her favorites. I'm not as into it as I am some of her other shows (Thundercats, DC Nation), but it is much more watchable for grownups than any of its predecessors. She's going to be pretty excited to hear it's back. :)

But Mystery Inc is so much better than Thundercats it isn't funny... and this is as someone who was one of its early hypers!

Admittedly, I haven't really paid much attention since it came back from its break. Those last couple eps before the break really just burned me out on the show, so boring, so plodding, such weak characters and even weaker character development...

The art is just gorgeous on this show. Hopefully Scooby has enough star power to survive CNs jerking around. Looking for the new Xiolian Chronicles show afterwards.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah can someone explain what's up with CN's terrible scheduling? Are they struggling financially?

I don't think so. I legitimately don't understand why they're so secretive of the show and why they have pushed it further and further and further back.

The ratings for the first season were great, but it's a Scooby show so that's pretty much a given. Plus, you know, it's good.

All 26 episodes seem to be done. They're sitting on some Cartoon Network producer's hard drive or something right this second. Waiting to be aired.

It confounds me.

25 years to life? WTF did the kid do, unleashed the "13" ghosts?

They say he was a con artist of some kind...

I don't think so. I legitimately don't understand why they're so secretive of the show and why they have pushed it further and further and further back.

The ratings for the first season were great, but it's a Scooby show so that's pretty much a given. Plus, you know, it's good.

All 26 episodes seem to be done. They're sitting on some Cartoon Network producer's hard drive or something right this second. Waiting to be aired.

There were rumors of contract disputes but they were never proven.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
On thinking about it I have to revise my rankings:

1. Mystery Incorporated
...big gap again...
2. Witch's Ghost
3. Zombie Island
4. A Pup Named
5. What's New
6. Where Are You

13 Ghosts doesn't really hold up, it's an interesting little side story with Vincent Price but it has both Scrappy and Flim-Flam and lacks Fred and Velma (why?!?)

Also What's New is much better than I originally gave it credit for. It's a very good series and probably the best distillation of the "old" style.

There were rumors of contract disputes but they were never proven.

Same thing that delayed the episodes from airing last year after the break right? CN was like 6-7 weeks behind Toonzone or whatever, it was embarrassing. Greedy ass CN mofos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom