• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
via @ScoobyAddict:

"If you are friends with me on Facebook, you already know Mitch Watson posted that Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. is coming back soon! Woohoo!!!"

Hopefully that means this Thursday...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My roomate and I recently upgraded to a disc subscription on Netflix and so I decided to give it a spin with the first two discs of season one...

Hoooooooly shit. Why is this show so good?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My roomate and I recently upgraded to a disc subscription on Netflix and so I decided to give it a spin with the first two discs of season one...

Hoooooooly shit. Why is this show so good?

Because the people making it are, at the same time:

1. Scooby fans
2. Good at what they do
3. Actually care

It's a post-modern re-imagining that taps into the nostalgic cynicism of late twenty somethings who remember a simpler time, but have grown far too callus to ever return. Also, Goth Daphne from the Hex Girls episode.

Or that, basically. :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Did they seriously do a direct callback to one of the original series villains? (The Creeper)
Does that mean that this show exists in some kind of twisted continuity with that show?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Did they seriously do a direct callback to one of the original series villains? (The Creeper)
Does that mean that this show exists in some kind of twisted continuity with that show?

It's weird. It seems like they're saying all the old shows actually happened before, but that kinda would be hard to place with their younger ages... I'd say some select things happened, like the Creeper, Scrappy, and Flim-Flam. The series does make a point in saying the gang has been dabbling in mystery solving for a bit before the show starts.

Sqorgar

Banned
It's weird. It seems like they're saying all the old shows actually happened before, but that kinda would be hard to place with their younger ages... I'd say some select things happened, like the Creeper, Scrappy, and Flim-Flam. The series does make a point in saying the gang has been dabbling in mystery solving for a bit before the show starts.
I wouldn't read too much into it. It's more like the Star Wars Christmas Special. Stuff like Life Day is canon, but for the most part, if someone is referencing it, it's just to make fun of it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I gotta check this out - Scooby Doo was my show back when I was a kid, and I'm sure I've seen all of the various series.

Bruiserk

I just finished the first season. Overarching plots are the best thing to happen to Scooby Doo, ever. The art style is fantastic. Some of the lines are pretty funny, lots of callbacks to previous shows. Can't wait until season 2.

I feel like a kid again. Fucking nostalgia.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just finished the first season. Overarching plots are the best thing to happen to Scooby Doo, ever. The art style is fantastic. Some of the lines are pretty funny, lots of callbacks to previous shows. Can't wait until season 2.

I feel like a kid again. Fucking nostalgia.

Another believer! :D

Arthrus

I'm liking what I'm seeing on youtube, with Scooby's voice being the exception. It kind of weirds me out the way he talks, and how he can communicate so easily with humans. Fred is by far the best he's ever been.

Really like the show, but I think it took them quite a while to find their groove. That or it took me quite awhile to get into the groove (about episode 13 or so). Loved the last few episodes where the Mayor sounded a bit like Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

Also, I hope they start to put a little more emphasis on the mysteries... but I know that is hard to do when they are juggling the monster of the week, romance/drama, and the overarching plot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I thought it was fairly consistent since the beginning, with the exception of Velma who was pretty annoying in the first half.

I'm liking what I'm seeing on youtube, with Scooby's voice being the exception. It kind of weirds me out the way he talks, and how he can communicate so easily with humans. Fred is by far the best he's ever been.

Yeah, I don't care for Scooby's voice either and it's my largest knock against the first ep of the new season.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Season 2 July 10th
supposedly this month in UK.

WTF CN

I'm glad we have a date (again), but this should be illegal. Also WTF at airing it in other countries first AGAIN. I'll stick with the CN airings like last time but this BS wore out its welcome a long time ago.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Which is crazy considering it's STILL Frank Welker that plays him.

Dude only gets better with age.

CorvoSol

I need this show back in my life. It was sooooo good. I wish they'd have an episode referencing Batman/the Harlem Globetrotters, though, just for fun. But Scooby's mascot dream episode will do, I suppose.

Also, I cannot believe how much I actually loved a Pup Named Scooby Doo as a kid.

I kinda noticed this before but I looked it up today and saw that Hot Dog Water is voiced by the live action Velma.
Matthew Lillard has been great as shaggy in this show.

ReiGun

I marathoned the first season over the course of two days. This is easily my favorite incarnation of Mystery Inc. Fred is hilarious.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I kinda noticed this before but I looked it up today and saw that Hot Dog Water is voiced by the live action Velma.
Matthew Lillard has been great as shaggy in this show.

Yeah I looked that up too, knew she sounded familiar. This show totally nails the cameos/fanservice.

Damn, Scooby Doo with an overarching plot? I'm so in this. I need to get those DVDs now. To Amazon!

Oh god, fuck CN with that shittastic way of handling the DVDs. Guess, I won't buy them then. :-(

I need this show back in my life. It was sooooo good. I wish they'd have an episode referencing Batman/the Harlem Globetrotters, though, just for fun. But Scooby's mascot dream episode will do, I suppose.

Also, I cannot believe how much I actually loved a Pup Named Scooby Doo as a kid.

Jesus, are you 13?

Now I feel old :(

edit: actually, now I feel young, I had no idea that show started in '88

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Damn, Scooby Doo with an overarching plot? I'm so in this. I need to get those DVDs now. To Amazon!

Oh god, fuck CN with that shittastic way of handling the DVDs. Guess, I won't buy them then. :-(

There's just four of them and they aren't all that expensive.

Volume 1: Episodes 1 to 4 ($11)

Volume 2: Episodes 4 to 8 ($10)

Volume 3: Episodes 9 to 12 ($12)

Part 2: Episodes 13 to 26 ($15)

So basically $48. Of course, you could just buy the streaming version off Amazon for $40 (or $50 for HD.)

Of course, I've been clamoring for a Blu-ray season set for like a year now, but my cries have of course gone unanswered.

I was a huge Scooby Doo nut when I was a kid. Oh, man, the memories. I'm glad I'm not the only who loved Zombie Island! I thought that movie was amazing. I still remember the damn catchy song used in the swamp section. So good.

I didn't feel the same excitement about Witch's Ghost, though, and after that, I kinda stopped caring for any of the movies. Though I may have to rewatch these two, at least.

Hearing all the praise for this series makes me want to watch it now. Is it legally available online anywhere?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was a huge Scooby Doo nut when I was a kid. Oh, man, the memories. I'm glad I'm not the only who loved Zombie Island! I thought that movie was amazing. I still remember the damn catchy song used in the swamp section. So good.

I didn't feel the same excitement about Witch's Ghost, though, and after that, I kinda stopped caring for any of the movies. Though I may have to rewatch these two, at least.

Hearing all the praise for this series makes me want to watch it now. Is it legally available online anywhere?

Amazon.

No Netflix, no Hulu.

Mystery Inc. is absolutely amazing. Always watched Scooby Doo regardless of whatever form it was in and this is definitely up there among the best. I love the animation and how the series uses color. The addition of a horror element to the series is great and so are the callbacks (Vincent Van Ghoul was my personal favorite). Started watching this when it began and caught back up when I learned there was the break. I thought it had been straight up canceled, but I'm glad it wasn't. Season 2 here we go.

Nlroh

Just watched the first episode. I didn't know what to expect, but it is really good. It made me laugh a lot, specially all those references to the original series. The only thing I didn't like was Velma's voice. Is it supposed to be like that? When I was a kid I watched it dubbed in spanish and it was completely different.

Just watched the first episode. I didn't know what to expect, but it is really good. It made me laugh a lot, specially all those references to the original series. The only thing I didn't like was Velma's voice. Is it supposed to be like that? When I was a kid I watched it dubbed in spanish and it was completely different.
yeah her voice never had a huge noticeable change. current voice actress has voiced her from about 2003 onwards.
she has a little more energy for this series though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone remember the Scooby-Doo SNES game? It was like a point-and-click adventure game, was kinda cool but I never finished it because what you were supposed to do was never really explained. :p Whenever you actually did something though it was the best feeling ever.

It actually channeled the show really well, had all the same music as Where Are You, too.

I just caught up on the episodes that have premiered. I really hope the 52-episode run is it, because man, the way this plot is going, things are gonna get insaaaaaaaaaane when we get close to the end. It's already been pretty nuts, and thats only 5 episodes in.

Icicle

Starting to look like season 2 will be the end of this show.
Really sucks.

Pretty sure that was always the plan. Unless a show gets canceled or turns out to be a huge hit, 52 episodes is the normal production number for Cartoon Network. Additionally, the online game that has a new "episode" for every actual episode has 52 pedestals/chapters to unlock.

As much as I am loving the show, it's probably a good thing that the show will likely end at Episode 52. Since there's an actual plot that spans throughout the whole series, keeping the show going would probably make the plot grow thin. Although I suppose a new series/spin-off is possible, but I think the Mr. E/Mystery of Crystal Cove plot will be pretty played out by the end of this season.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I guess I've been bracing myself for season two being the last since they said ep52 ties into ep1. There's only a couple ways to read that. Plus Mike Borkowski (animator) is now on Beware the Batman so the third season definitely isn't in production at the moment or likely in the near future.

I hope season two is such a hit that they do a season three and four with an all-new plot... who knows. But even if it isn't, I have one, final hope for the show: since all 26 episodes are done, Cartoon Network needs to air all of them in one continuous weekly shot.

Piecake

Just started watching this show, and I am definitely glad I did

What surprised me the most was the dialogue. I definitely did not expect it to be that good

Odoul

I only saw what I think are the first 4 or 5 episodes of this.

I liked what I saw but the schedule was so fucked I just gave up. They played the first episode 3 months before the others then took a six month break. And now this year break in between season.

How many episodes have been aired in America so far?

The way this channel just eats it's shows (this, Sym Bionic Titan, Generator Rex) is criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom