• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Good, this show really deserved a second season. I still need to catch the final episode of the first one, though.

Also, it's insane how many cartoon threads there are running in GAF now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kay, I wasn't sure if that was the joke, or if I was actually missing something.

It's the first post-opening scene of the first episode, they probably just wanted to get it out of the way so fans know not to expect them at all.

Good, this show really deserved a second season. I still need to catch the final episode of the first one, though.

Also, it's insane how many cartoon threads there are running in GAF now.

Well why don't you shut the-

Oh you said "running in GAF," not "ruining GAF." :p

And it's because cartoons are suddenly good again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Korra is awesome so far, although it still has a ways to go before it gets to TLA's level. In that respect I still give the nod to MI because it's head and shoulders above anything else Scooby-related.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG I was browsing TVTropes and apparently Mark Hamill voices
the "crying clown" in s2 ep1.

Similar to one of his more famous past rolls hmmm? HMMMM?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whoawhoawhoa back the fuck up.

New Xiaolin Showdown? Seriously? MY CHILDHOOD

New....Xiaolin Showdown? Please be good like the first two seasons and not utterly stupid like when they started running out of ideas for Shen Gong Wu

(My Steam avatar for the longest time has been
167a1fc9199812bc05c61d5dcc0fbac13d82b10f_full.jpg

)

ksdixon

How did scrappy exit the previous show(s) in storyline? Or are they just all not-connected in a canon storyline; and this statue thing is a reference to many people not liking Scrappy's Mary Sue character overshadowing Scooby back in the day?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How did scrappy exit the previous show(s) in storyline? Or are they just all not-connected in a canon storyline; and this statue thing is a reference to many people not liking Scrappy's Mary Sue character overshadowing Scooby back in the day?

Basically the bolded. There are various canons in Scooby.

Original Series Canon:
  • Scooby-Doo, Where are You!
  • The New Scooby-Doo Movies
  • The Scooby-Doo Show
  • Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo
  • The All-New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show
  • The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo
  • Scooby Goes Hollywood
    [*]Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers
    [*]Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School
    [*]Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf
    [*]Scooby-Doo! in Arabian Nights

Pup Canon:
  • A Pup Named Scooby-Doo

Live-Action Movie Canon:
  • Scooby-Doo
  • Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
  • Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins
  • Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster

"Serious" Canon:
  • Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island
    [*]Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost

What's New Canon:
  • What's New Scooby-Doo?
  • Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders
    [*]Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase
    [*]Scooby-Doo! and the Legend of the Vampire
    [*]Scooby-Doo! and the Monster of Mexico
    [*]Scooby-Doo! and the Loch Ness Monster
    [*]Aloha, Scooby-Doo!
    [*]Scooby-Doo! in Where's My Mummy?
    [*]Scooby-Doo! Pirates Ahoy!
    [*]Chill Out, Scooby-Doo!
    [*]Scooby-Doo! and the Goblin King
    [*]Scooby-Doo! and the Samurai Sword
    [*]Scooby-Doo! Abracadabra-Doo
    [*]Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare
    [*]Scooby-Doo! Legend of the Phantosaur
    [*]Scooby-Doo! Music of the Vampire
    [*]Big Top Scooby-Doo

Mystery Incorporated Canon:
  • Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

Italic entries are TV specials and direct-to-DVD movies.

I think What's New references knowing the Hex Girls but I think the events of Zombie's Island/Witch's Ghost might be too drastic to be included with the lighthearted What's New. You could also make a case that there's a split between the Original Canon and 13 Ghosts-on considering they become wrapped up in the supernatural, which was never an element of the previous series. If you do that, it's easier to reconcile the Original and Serious canons.

ksdixon

Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, I myself would probably split 13 Ghosts onwards off from the original series, and then place the 'serious' era after that on a timeline. Is this new 'Mystery Inc' series supposed to be along the same timeline as well?

Always used to annoy me where there was that one season early-on where Shaggy had a red tshirt and I think it was just Shaggy Scooby and Velma, or Shaggy Scooby and Scrappy. When I was a kid, I was always partial to the 'Where Are You?' series.

Icicle

For those of you on the fence, let me just say that I am a massive Scooby Doo fan and this series may just be the best incarnation of the show yet. It is quite a departure from the "formula" that's been set by previous series', but that's one of its greatest strengths. It's also possibly one of the best-looking animated shows I've ever seen (HD is a must) and the humor actually delivers. The voice cast (including guest stars) is seriously impressive.

I have to disagree with the OP and say that you should watch the entire first season and not just 4 episodes he recommends. There's a great deal of character development and a large over-arching plot you will miss out on by doing so. You won't get a full sense of the series' scope until Episode 6th, so stick around for the pay-off. It's SO worth it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, I myself would probably split 13 Ghosts onwards off from the original series, and then place the 'serious' era after that on a timeline. Is this new 'Mystery Inc' series supposed to be along the same timeline as well?

Always used to annoy me where there was that one season early-on where Shaggy had a red tshirt and I think it was just Shaggy Scooby and Velma, or Shaggy Scooby and Scrappy. When I was a kid, I was always partial to the 'Where Are You?' series.

I was the exact same. Red shirted Shaggy annoyed me so much. I really only liked Where Are You and A Pup Named when I was younger. I actually hated the Movies one, even the Addams Family and Batman couldn't salvage it for me.

As for MI, it's in its own completely separate thing. It's about as different from previous series in setting, tone, style, and even characterization as possible without being a totally separate franchise.

Isn't Camp Scare more Mystery Inc?
I know it isn't story wise, but its alot more like it than the other series.

Not technically, no. I do know that there is some crossover with artists and writers between MI and some of the recent direct-to-DVD stuff but it's still completely separate.

Wait this is actually back? CN figured out the fuck they had to do?

Well not yet, officially. The episodes are done but CN couldn't leave well enough alone and have pushed back the premiere over and over. Now we don't know when it's going to start, although it will probably be soon... if CN aren't completely fricking stupid.

Nope not yet.

they accidentally uploaded episode 1 of season 2 a while back though.

That was an accident? I was under the impression it was deliberate.

could be, but it released right around the time this was supposedly coming back then it got pushed back again.

They got on there game with Young Justice hopefully they fix the scheduling of this also.

Something I really like about this show is just how much more menacing the monsters are then they were before. They actually seem like they are hunting them down.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, uh, I haven't watched much of this show, but I saw an episode today and in the background was The New Scooby Doo Movies Guest Star Cass Elliot. :0

Whoa. Really wanna catch up on this now, lol. Nostalgia.

Epcott

I was an advocate about how mature and funny and a nod to the original concept of "Who's Scared" season 1 was. I really enjoyed it. I even recommended it to a coworker who loves horror movies.

Then I watched season 2 premiere yesterday on Youtube...
It's everything I hate about Scooby Doo wrapped up in one episode:

Scooby is talking like more than half of the episode. It comes off as weird and unnerving. He's giving speeches, talking to a cow, speaking of vengeance and what not... I'm all for a talking Scoob, but only in short bursts. I thought he'd get up and start walking on hind legs and wear a disguise.

And the villain, a man/baby clown? Monsters have been silly, but season 1 had a decent variety. Man/baby clown seemed like a throwback from a Pup Named Scooby Doo, or the 90's HB era when it went downhill. And the new mayor just pops up, no reasoning as to who she is, why anyone should care who she is, nothing.

What happened to this show? What happened to the writing staff?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
First ep of the new season seemed weak because it was the middle of a three-parter (with the s1 finale being the first part.) You're not off with some of your complaints but I didn't find them nearly as annoying as you.

When someone says "everything I hate about Scooby-Doo," I'm expecting the words "bland," "repetitive," "gimmick driven," "cheap," etc. tossed into the conversation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Those two shows' OTs should be purged from the boards.

Never heard of Motorcity though, and wasn't Avengers canned?

Epcott

First ep of the new season seemed weak because it was the middle of a three-parter (with the s1 finale being the first part.) You're not off with some of your complaints but I didn't find them nearly as annoying as you.

When someone says "everything I hate about Scooby-Doo," I'm expecting the words "bland," "repetitive," "gimmick driven," "cheap," etc. tossed into the conversation.

It's Scooby-Doo, sad to say this, but I almost expect it to be bland and repetitive. Scooby giving long winded narrative was just, bizarre.

I did enjoy how it ended unresolved. I guess I'll watch episode 2.

Motorcity is pretty decent. I also don't understand the hate for Thundercats, it's like people expect a furry version of Hamlet, when by comparison to the old series, it's pretty good.

Sqorgar

Banned
I really liked the first season - what little I managed to catch of it. It was on Monday nights at 7 pm for like 4 episodes, then moved to a different night and time two or three times - each time with some weird unannounced hiatus. I thought, well, I'll just watch it on demand, but Comcast started skipping episodes. Then it disappeared, and I honestly had no idea that they ever finished season one until this thread.

I don't have cable anymore, so I went to go see if there were blu-rays available - nope. DVDs? There are four volumes - the first three have four episodes each, and the fourth has 14 episodes!

It's like they don't want people to watch this show. I hate Scooby Doo, but I really liked the show and actively tried to watch it multiple times, and failed every single time. I've never seen a channel so determined to bury a show.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I finally caught up on this show.

Season 2's first episode was depressing. Can't believe they didn't catch the villain, or even get anywhere in solving who it was. :(

But I didn't find it a bad episode, though. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really liked the first season - what little I managed to catch of it. It was on Monday nights at 7 pm for like 4 episodes, then moved to a different night and time two or three times - each time with some weird unannounced hiatus. I thought, well, I'll just watch it on demand, but Comcast started skipping episodes. Then it disappeared, and I honestly had no idea that they ever finished season one until this thread.

I don't have cable anymore, so I went to go see if there were blu-rays available - nope. DVDs? There are four volumes - the first three have four episodes each, and the fourth has 14 episodes!

It's like they don't want people to watch this show. I hate Scooby Doo, but I really liked the show and actively tried to watch it multiple times, and failed every single time. I've never seen a channel so determined to bury a show.

The pure malice on display here is just... inconceivable. I'm starting to think one of the execs was a Scrappy fan or something based on CN's actions towards this show.

I'd go with Amazon if you still need to catch up. A bit pricey, but the HD is awesome.

The pure malice on display here is just... inconceivable. I'm starting to think one of the execs was a Scrappy fan or something based on CN's actions towards this show.

I'd go with Amazon if you still need to catch up. A bit pricey, but the HD is awesome.

See that's what's so weird about all this. Scooby Doo has always been a big money maker for CN, even the bad ones, so why does this happen when the series is seen as reaching a new peak in quality and viewers?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
See that's what's so weird about all this. Scooby Doo has always been a big money maker for CN, even this series, so why does this happen when the series is seen as reaching a new peak in quality and viewers?

Your guess is as good as mine. :/

Personally, I'm going with the Scrappy theory.

See that's what's so weird about all this. Scooby Doo has always been a big money maker for CN, even this series, so why does this happen when the series is seen as reaching a new peak in quality and viewers?

It's just something CN does, seems they do that with all their shows except Adventure Time which they advertise the fuck out of.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Watching ep23, has so many great moments. I had almost... forgotten that this show was AAA. Bad memories! Bad!

"Since the scandal discrediting my last novel 'Chargargothicon: The Beast Which Hath No Name,' my books haven't been selling. To please Dean Fenk, I've been trying my hand at writing a teen vampire novel, but I have no idea what teens these days do..." -H.P. Hatecraft

"Well that's easy! We're into solving mysteries and building traps!" -Fred

"Why don't you let us help you?" -Velma

"Like yeah, we've been teenagers forever!" -Shaggy
KuGsj.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't really count anime as "TV" since I don't really watch it on TV (at least not until I get my new Revue...) Side note, I'm doing the Funimation Elite trial and it's really disappointing. No DB/Z/GT/Kai, one ep of Yu Yu Hakasho, now Hellsing Ultimate. Urgh. They could have had a fantastic catalogue too. :/

I'd get Crunchyroll but the single show it has I wanna watch is Durarara... wouldn't be worth it...

Speaking of, I don't understand why this show isn't on, like, Hulu.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Especially since Durarara is such a horrible show.

Durarara had a ton of potential but in the end was just... quite above average, actually. The four or five eps before the finale were as well executed and had as much tension as Death Note, and that's some of the highest praise I can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom