• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDA's Awesome Games Done Quick 2013 - Speedrun Marathon for Charity

AGDQ-2013-Awful-Games-Done-Quick-2013.png

Watch the stream and join the chat at: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/
Info: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/upcoming
Schedule: http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/schedule

SDA - short for Speed Demos Archive - is a popular site for speedrunners. With several hundreds recorded speedruns, including many world records, SDA is one of the go-to places for speedrunning needs.
A ton of speedrunners - among them popular players such as Siglemic and CosmoWright - are going to play video games as fast as possible, and that for 7 days straight. That's Awesome Games Done Quick, AGDQ for short!

And why all this? They are trying to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

But not only will you be donating for a good cause, you will have the chance to win many prizes, such as games, collectibles, or must-have items such as a Wind Waker conductor's cane or the grand prize, which is a uniquely created Gunblade from FF8.
Aside from prizes, there's also incentives - classics like what the file name of a game should be, to play different characters, bonus levels or bosses, going from any% to 100% completion, higher difficulties, you name it.
You can see all the prizes and incentives on the schedule to the respective games.

Hope to see you there, I know I will be watching and enjoying! :)

In case you missed a run, fret not! Here's a Reddit link that collects all the twitch recordings of AGDQ and updates asap.

Speed Demos Archive, the home to video game speed runs, is proud to present the third annual speed running marathon: Awesome Games Done Quick 2013. It is a 7-day online event to raise money for cancer prevention, streamed live for you to watch!

Featuring over 115 games, speed runners will play continuously in order to collect donations for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, our partner for this event. During the marathon, donations enter you into various prizes, and can be used to determine the outcome of bidding wars! The various prizes and bidding wars can be found in the AGDQ2013 schedule below.

Thread for 2012.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Surprised to see this thread sink so quickly to the bottom considering the community. I'll definitely be throwing this one on during my off-work hours.

Sonic 06 in 1:40:00!?

Oh right. There's actually a whole block of games with terrible games - it's called "Awful Games Done Quick" (and the banner I chose to link here is actually specifically for that block ;) ).

Darksiders in 1:50:00!?!?

I know the runner for this - there's quite a few sequence breaks, one of which he uses to skip the intro fight in which you lose your powers, which is why he can breeze through most of the game easily. :p

BY2K

Membero Americo
I know the runner for this - there's quite a few sequence breaks, one of which he uses to skip the intro fight in which you lose your powers, which is why he can breeze through most of the game easily. :p

I'll need to see that I try it myself.

I'll need to see that I try it myself.

Darksiders 1 is the one where you play War, right? Pretty sure that was the one where the intro boss is skipped, though I might've confused it with 2.

Where the hell were you guys for the Hurricane Sandython thread? Only the OP and I posted in it.

I didn't watch that marathon tbh. Wasn't a big fan of the chatface spam over there. :/

I've watched and donated to this the last two years. I have eagerly been waiting for this and can't wait to spend many hours watching me some speed runs. These guys are doing an awesome thing and deserve to be supported.

Omnicent

isn't siglemic supposed to be at this one for a 120 star speed run?
I'm going to have to free up my schedule a bit.

Some runs that are going to be super awesome are:

Siglemic - Mario 64
Cosmo - Wind Waker
Garrison - Super Metroid
Funkdoc - Castlevania 3
PEACHES_ - Mischief Makers
Carl Sagan - Yoshis Island
PJ - Super Ghouls and Ghosts - torch only
Werster and mike89 - Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Miles - Metroid Prime
CalebHart - Megaman X

And that not to take away anything from the rest of the runs which should be fantastic as well.

My personal highlights that I'm hoping to catch and would recommend to watch:
Mischief Makers
Yoshi's Island
Battletoads and Double Dragon co-op
The entire classic Sonic block
Super Meat Boy
Megaman 9 or 10
Metroidvania block (xoxo Romscout lol)
Ninja Gaiden 2 race
Goof Troop co-op hype
NSMB+DKC blocks
F-Zero GX Story <3
AwfulGDQ (kicking off with Sonic 06 until Metal Morph)
Timesplitters
Dooms, Goldeneye and 2D Metroid block
Classicvania block
FF9 - I generally don't like RPG runs (so long x.x) but I love Puwexil, and he's a great runner to see!

tci

Looking forward to it! Haven't checked the whole schedule yet, but I will try to catch it whenever I can.

Chavelo

Bid for Spineshark to do the DMC3 Vergil run, please! Dude is a good guy and a great fighting game player. :D

(On Friday, Jan 11 2013 23:50:00 GMT-0700 Mountain Standard Time)

Where the hell were you guys for the Hurricane Sandython thread? Only the OP and I posted in it.
They had a marathon for Sandy? Lol. I didn't have power/internet for 2 weeks...

I donated a prize for this, hope whoever ends up with it likes it. =x

I'm also going to make a small donation for Scorcho, even though I didn't really know him well.

Really looking forward to the marathon. =D Going to try to nag my friends to watch it this year again, though most of them never do. =P

Also, the guy who made the grand prize is freaking awesome:

jiggles

Banned
Was the last one of these really a full year ago? I remember dipping in and out of it, and missing all the games I wanted to see, but I loved what I saw. I'll be watching (and donating to) this one for sure.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
This was sooo good last year. Funny how the gf is always out of town when this goes down :D

Was the last one of these really a full year ago? I remember dipping in and out of it, and missing all the games I wanted to see, but I loved what I saw. I'll be watching (and donating to) this one for sure.
They usually do one over the summer for autism awareness, too, and sometimes they do impromptu ones for natural disasters.

Man, I love these. Totally looking forward to the charity shirt designs they revealed already for this one. Kari Fry's shirts are awesome.

Revven

Oh yeah and Cosmo just got the Wind Waker WR last night! Can't wait to see if he manages to do the same time or not here (though unlikely since they're more casual at these marathons and don't try as hard iirc).

Still, I'm going to try and tune into as many games as I can.

I have this stupid, awful class at 1 so I'm going to miss the start. ;__;

Wish I could just sit at home and stay awake all week long.

Glancing at the early schedule, I'm looking forward to Shadow Complex. That game got busted wide open a few months ago (current speedrun record is like 7 minutes) and it'll be fun for everyone to see just how fucked it is.

Kleevah

I see in the schedule that Flicky is finally back, though no mention of a Bayonetta run makes me a bit sad... :(

Top Bottom