• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am flying over 1000 miles to see a woman I met before Christmas |OT| On her money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

What is this you say? First of all, avatar quote

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

But seriously.

Welcome to:

2sVGZ.png

Here's the rundown:

I met a really nice girl on Geek 2 Geek, a geek dating website that specializes in hooking up people who are particularly nerdy. I wasn't supposed to. The site incorrectly gave me a free month of use. I post frequently in the OkCupid thread, having used that and plentyoffish before. The reason I use these sites instead of say, a bar, is because I have much more game over the internet than in real life. Which is not to say I don't have any in real life, which I do. I just prefer the internet because it's easier to gauge someone's interest in you than weird body language or mixed signals. At least to me.

Anyway, back to the story. I met her right before Christmas, and on Christmas Eve, we had a four hour conversation over the phone that was positively awesome. The next night, we had another, and it was clear to me that this girl was something special.

Fast forward to two days later, and she's remarking how happy she's been in a long time, especially being able to find someone to relate to much more so than any guy's she's been with in the past. This is when she drops the bombshell on me. She is willing to send me a check with money to get a plane ticket to see her. I'm floored. No one has ever offered to do that for me in my life.

I figure, why the hell not, and say yes. I don't have anything tying me down at the moment (job nonexistent, career slowly starting), and accept. A week later, the check arrives, and it's for $300. Before that check arrived though, she ends up instead buying the ticket online and telling me to bank the money I just got from her.

Floored again. I can't just refuse someone now who especially already spent their money on me by buying a ticket. It would be against my own code of honor. It would be a slap in the face.

And here I am.

I'm writing this thread because I was originally going to post in the OkCupid thread and the Real Pic January thread with pictures, but I figured that would be too much effort. So instead, with encouragement from others, I've created a thread for two purposes:

• You get to see what happens as I relay it (I will be posting pictures in the thread)
  • And if something bad happens, NeoGAF will have a record of it
  • That last one I hope won't happen (actually, I know it won't)

This is an account of my experience to fly from Virginia all the way to Minnesota to meet someone for the first time since my very first relationship, which was also long-distance. And I want to share it with you all.

Some facts:

• She's half-Japanese
  • She knows about this thread and that I'm taking pics
  • And is totally okay with it

Any other questions will be answered in the thread when I have time. My plane leaves in several hours from now, and I'm nervous, scared and excited all at the same time.

Having talked to this girl for several weeks now, I can honestly say that I'm in love with her, truly. She's incredibly fun to talk to, and we share a lot in common.

Here's hoping everything goes amazing, GAF! And I'm glad I could share this experience with you all.

tl;dr: A woman I met on the internet is flying me out to see her on her own money and I am terribly in love with her

Mariolee

Oh, you love her? What could possibly go wrong?

Just kidding, hope for the best of luck for both of you.

Ashodin

You love her? What could possibly go wrong?

Just kidding, hope for the best of luck for both of you.

That she doesn't love me back? But that's impossible, no one would go to this much trouble to want to see someone unless they're incredibly in love.

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OR GTFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Congrats mate, half-Asians have a median of 8/10. You are on a good track.

The thread immediately reminded me of:

gong%20li%202.jpg

Darklord

Banned
Terribly in love with a woman you've known a few weeks on the internet? lol, good luck. Have you at least used skype? Phone? Something more than text?

Trin

Aw, best of luck. Hope everything works out :)

Shucks, I didn't get a thread and I flew 3,000 miles.
/kicksacan

Woah. This sounds crazy, but it has the potential to end awesomely. Good luck!

And the half-Japanese people I've seen are usually pretty damn attractive (are we taking it for granted that the other 'half' is European? I suppose that's kinda bad form on our part).

Ashodin

haha you guys are awesome!

I'm going to lay down for a nap now, my plane leaves in four hours. I'll be taking pictures as I head towards Richmond for oohs and ahhs. Also pictures in flight.

I've always wondered how these meetings go. Like, are you staying at a hotel or with her? I mean, when you see her, will you kiss her? Hug? Fist pound? Bro-shake? I mean, will you go on a traditional date? Stuff like that.

"She is willing to send me a check with money to get a plane ticket to see her."

*Subbed*

If shit hits the ceiling, you know this will come back and bite your e-ass. Godspeed.

Ashodin

I've always wondered how these meetings go. Like, are you staying at a hotel or with her? I mean, when you see her, will you kiss her? Hug? Fist pound? Bro-shake? I mean, will you go on a traditional date? Stuff like that.

We've already gotten quite familiar with each other through the internet and on the phone. I'm staying at her apartment for the weekend.

Vesmir

Banned
Terribly in love with a woman you've known a few weeks on the internet? lol, good luck. Have you at least used skype? Phone? Something more than text?

Anyway, back to the story. I met her right before Christmas, and on Christmas Eve, we had a four hour conversation over the phone that was positively awesome. The next night, we had another, and it was clear to me that this girl was something special.

your fucking avatar here.

--

Good luck OP.

Ashodin

D9Oe8.jpg

This is the baller jacket I will be wearing with a scarf around it while showing up in the airport. I will be snug as fuck.

Darklord

Banned
your fucking avatar here.

--

Good luck OP.

Ah ok. Still seems pretty early to be saying he loves her. Hasn't Ashodin loved other women he met online really quickly from okcupid? It's just a long way to get burned. I really hope it works out though. Would be an awesome story of how you met. We better be getting a lot of pics!

Ashodin

Ah ok. Still seems pretty early to be saying he loves her. Hasn't Ashodin "loved" other women he met online really quickly from okcupid? It's just a long way to get burned. I really hope it works out though. Would be an awesome story of how you met.

And you would be in on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom