• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What is the effect of Str/Dex/Int for each class, or in general? While I understand that different classes will be placed differently on the skill trees, are there any other differences between the classes?
Same effect.

Strength grants +0.5 life and +0.2% melee physical damage per point
Dexterity grants +2 accuracy and +0.2% evasion per point
Intelligence grants +0.5 mana and +0.2% energy shield per point

10 attribute points from passives:

+10 Strength: +5 life, +2% melee physical damage
+10 Dexterity: +20 accuracy, +2% evasion
+10 Intelligence: +5 mana, +2% energy shield

Yeah most of the shield stuff is in the STR side.

You should dive into learning about the block mechanics. I think I tried shield a year ago and it wasn't a good shield build since my block chance wasn't high enough to pay off.

Thanks, I'll have a read up on that tomorrow while I wait for it to go open. Any pointers in the right direction would be welcomed :)

What is the effect of Str/Dex/Int for each class, or in general? While I understand that different classes will be placed differently on the skill trees, are there any other differences between the classes?

Yoshi answered the first part, and I believe the only other differences are starting stats and quest rewards.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
If you read this (you know who you are), I will miss you ♥ See you at work on Monday, my angel!

tumblr_mdgrilS9tw1qgumxh.gif

M-me?

lordy88

Same effect.

Strength grants +0.5 life and +0.2% melee physical damage per point
Dexterity grants +2 accuracy and +0.2% evasion per point
Intelligence grants +0.5 mana and +0.2% energy shield per point

10 attribute points from passives:

+10 Strength: +5 life, +2% melee physical damage
+10 Dexterity: +20 accuracy, +2% evasion
+10 Intelligence: +5 mana, +2% energy shield

Thanks Yoshi! I'm happy you found another ARPG to be satisfied with after watching you express your frustration about Diablo 3 months ago! I remember how hyped you were in particular...you weren't the only one who was let down.

I take it that no stat adds to Magic Damage and/or Ranged damage, correct? Also, what difference is there between classes outside of their relative placement on the skill tree?

Wallach

Base attributes have the same effect on all the classes. The only difference between them other than their start position in the tree is the distribution of their initial attributes. Primary classes (Marauder, Ranger, Witch) start with 30 points in their primary and 14 in the other two attributes. Hybrid classes (Duelist, Templar, Shadow) will have 22 points in each of the attributes they specialize in and 14 in the remaining one.

These attributes modify two different stats each; STR increases life and melee physical damage, DEX increases accuracy and evasion, and INT increases mana and energy shield pools. Both gems and gear have attribute requirements that limit what your character can equip.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks Yoshi! I'm happy you found another ARPG to be satisfied with after watching you express your frustration about Diablo 3 months ago! I remember how hyped you were in particular...you weren't the only one who was let down.
Thanks buddy! Trust me, I'm happy too.
I take it that no stat adds to Magic Damage and/or Ranged damage, correct? Also, what difference is there between classes outside of their relative placement on the skill tree?
First question: Correct.
Second question: No other difference (except for the looks :p)

lordy88

Base attributes have the same effect on all the classes. The only difference between them other than their start position in the tree is the distribution of their initial attributes. Primary classes (Marauder, Ranger, Witch) start with 30 points in their primary and 14 in the other two attributes. Hybrid classes (Duelist, Templar, Shadow) will have 22 points in each of the attributes they specialize in and 14 in the remaining one.

These attributes modify two different stats each; STR increases life and melee physical damage, DEX increases accuracy and evasion, and INT increases mana and energy shield pools. Both gems and gear have attribute requirements that limit what your character can equip.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Follow up question now. Is there a way to respec the skill tree at all? I know for a fact that I will play the first time through just to get a feel for the game, and absolutely bastardize the skill tree. Will I be able to change the points at made to any degree, or will I have to start a fresh character to get another stab at specing for a build?

Thanks buddy! Trust me, I'm happy too.

Let's hope that I can join your boat. I really need the solid multi-player ARPG experience that has a solid bartering trade system ala Diablo 2.

garath

That's interesting that the characters are kept, just reverted to level 1. Guess I should have reserved all the names I wanted lol.

Logging on tonight to do so wherever possible.

Wallach

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Follow up question now. Is there a way to respec the skill tree at all? I know for a fact that I will play the first time through just to get a feel for the game, and absolutely bastardize the skill tree. Will I be able to change the points at made to any degree, or will I have to start a fresh character to get another stab at specing for a build?

There are a few quests in the game that reward 2 respec points, which you will be able to repeat on each difficulty. These will only allow you to undo one node on the tree, so you will only be able to work backwards one node at a time.

There is also a consumabe item called an Orb of Regret that grants a single respec point when used. You can use as many of those as you can get your hands on, but they are fairly valuable as currency too so you'll have to decide on your own if it's worth the cost or to just make a new character.

Let's hope that I can join your boat. I really need the solid multi-player ARPG experience that has a solid bartering trade system ala Diablo 2.

I spent years playing and trading in D2, and I can tell you right away that PoE has the best currency and player economy foundation I've ever seen. It's really just genius design.

Serrato

I might be wrong, but there is nothing different. The starting position on the grid, you see, is everything because the first nodes are really powerful and help you go in a certain path to make your build.

That's way it might be hard to see a witch wielding a two-handed mace with life leech...

Card Boy

Banned
It looks good, and it's definitely efficient, although if he's going dagger and shield I probably would've gone south and eaten 2 +10 dexterity nodes to get the bigger shield cluster near the Frenzy charge. And since he already has Arcing Blows for an easy +30% lightning damage, it probably wouldn't hurt to grab the +20 % lightning damage right near the Shadow starting point, although it really depends on what skills he's planning to use. Everyone always grabs Arcing Blows regardless just cause it's good and right there. Also, he should grab Fitness near the start for +10% life and 20 strength instead of blowing that last point on the +8% life at the tail end of his Energy Shield path. Still a good build, just some little stuff like that.

Can you make me a new skill tree with those changes? :)

Yoshichan

I'm gonna be in the GAF Mumble server btw.

chi.eoreality.net

I'm gonna be there from launch till Sunday, 24/5 pretty much. I'll be in the Diablo 3 channel (lol).

Baffey

Neo Member

1 dex = +2 accuracy
5 dex = 1% evasion

2 str = +1 life
5 str = +1% melee physical dmg

2 int = +1mana
5 int = +1% energy shield

Yoshichan

Just deleted all my characters (and re-made them but with the right classes)...

RIP.
What class is your fav Yoshi?
1. Templar because they're solid as hell, I've experimented the shit out of everything with this class.
2. Marauder has always been very straight forward for me, but I've had the best success-ratio with them.
3. Ranger, I've made some of the worst characters ever with rangers, but I've made some amazing melee rangers. It feels great.
4. Shadow, I only made one and went a crazy CI-based build and enjoyed the shit out of it.
5. Duelist/Witch, lol.

Wallach

I might be wrong, but there is nothing different. The starting position on the grid, you see, is everything because the first nodes are really powerful and help you go in a certain path to make your build.

That's way it might be hard to see a witch wielding a two-handed mace with life leech...

There wouldn't be anything too hard about making a Witch 2H mace build, really. I'd probably make her a Leap Slammer with Enfeeble support.

Yoshichan

A new start...

ovMLR3y.png

mileS

"There will be a further news post today with full Patch Notes, explanations of our reasoning behind balance changes and information on how the new cosmetic microtransactions work."

so I take it there will be new stuff to buy on the store come tomorrow? still confused.

"There will be a further news post today with full Patch Notes, explanations of our reasoning behind balance changes and information on how the new cosmetic microtransactions work."

so I take it there will be new stuff to buy on the store come tomorrow? still confused.

gaf gold

Probably new pets and non kiwi packs. They showed off weapons glowing in one of their videos too so that's probably in.

edit: guess I was right http://www.youtube.com/user/grindinggear/videos?view=0

the giant weta pet is scary

KingKong

I don't get it, why is this game free? It looks like the microtransactions are very minor, so how do they expect to make money on this? It seems like a complete enough game to be priced at like $20

Also, is it going to be on Steam when it officially launches?

I don't get it, why is this game free? It looks like the microtransactions are very minor, so how do they expect to make money on this? It seems like a complete enough game to be priced at like $20

F2P is the futah. (Not to be confused with fhuta.)

It's a small team, their development of the game was subsidized by selling access to the beta, now that they are released, they'll be sustained by the people who download and sink in a few bucks due to the zero barrier to entry.

No idea about Steam.

Consider it an independent pricing model for commercial games. Much like Torchlight and its sequel found success at its 20 dollar price point(or lower sales price points) GGG is taking a larger risk by letting the user decide if they want to pay or not. it is riskier, but if your game is good and you are able to prove the game will be worth the money, people will pay (as has been evident by its 2.2mil in support)

In my opinion, the future of F2P games is basically creating a AAA title in which you can pay your price based on what you want to play with. GGG has a good model and I actually support the model of Tribes: ascend as well. You pay 50+ on that game, you basically get everything as if you are paying at retail. I like where this is heading because it gives developers more options in pricing. I am not saying we shouldn't have 50 dollar games, there is certainly that market, but I also think there is a market for 10, 20, and 30 dollar games simultaneously that are as good as 50-60 dollar games and these F2P models certainly help cement that.

KKRT00

And yet, they've already earned 2.2m$ from pre-purchase option :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty excited about this finally going into open beta. Haven't made any effort at all to get into the closed beta, so I haven't tried the game, but I've found it intriguing since I first heard about it. And it sort of blows my mind that such an ambitious game is going to be F2P but supposedly not require that you spend a dime on it for it to be worth playing.

People will support a free product if it has value to them.

And don't underestimate the power of cosmetic microtransactions.

MrDaravon

How viable are rangers? I plan on going that route since I prefer to play ranged characters but I've never been big on casters/managing a mana resource. Also I'm seeing that you can't full respec but can earn respec points; is a full respec going to be one of the microtransaction options? I have a severe paranoia with fucking up a character, but don't like starting over :p

JWong

Banned
How viable are rangers? I plan on going that route since I prefer to play ranged characters but I've never been big on casters/managing a mana resource. Also I'm seeing that you can't full respec but can earn respec points; is a full respec going to be one of the microtransaction options? I have a severe paranoia with fucking up a character, but don't like starting over :p

They rather you fail builds and start new characters, so you'd have to get over that idea of not starting over.

And I don't think respec will be a microtransaction option since it'll break ladder competitiveness.

Respec points are relatively plentiful during the campaign. Chris said in one of the promo vids you'll be able to get 12 from quests (exact number may change). After that you'll need to farm or trade for Orbs of Regret.

12 is plenty to prevent stuff-ups if you have a general idea of what you want your build to be. But if you want to completely overhaul them to a different passive tree and skill set, you're better off rolling a new character.

Top Bottom