• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche CTO talks about the differences between PS4 & XB1's dev tools and hardware

stryke

Edit: title is from Edge, not me.

PlayStation 4 currently beats Xbox One in terms of raw power and has a more mature developer environment, Avalanche Studios has told us.

The Just Cause creator is working with each next gen console right now, and says that in terms of pure specifications and working environment, PS4 is the preferable console. But with Xbox One’s cloud capabilities and further developer support coming, Sony can’t claim an early victory just yet.

We asked Avalanche’s chief technical officer Linus Blomberg how the two consoles compare. “It’s difficult to say, as it’s still early days when it comes to drivers,” he told us. “With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do. But I’m not too concerned about that as they traditionally have been very good in that area. The specs on paper would favour the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment.”

In stark contrast to their Wii U comment, Avalanche is trying to be a bit more diplomatic here.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps4...crosoft-will-catch-up-says-avalanche-studios/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
He's saying their dev environment will catch up, not so much the performance...

Anyway, I'm amazed that Sony's dev environment is currently better than Microsoft's. That rumour about MS being 6 months behind on the software side might be true?

The quote doesn't read like Microsoft will catch up, just that they may be able to. Let's see what the full bit says.

EDIT: Nope, nothing that clarifies the title.

sTeLioSco

Banned
cloud....

just ignore gaikai also

But another confirmation that ps4 is indeed more powerful . and easier to program.

derFeef

He's saying their dev environment will catch up, not so much the performance...

Anyway, I'm amazed that Sony's dev environment is currently better than Microsoft's. That rumour about MS being 6 months behind on the software side might be true?

Seems to be the case. Worrisome.

v1oz

Cloud processing will make up for the difference. Microsoft has invested in thousands of servers world wide to take the load off your console chips.

Eusis

Unlike Cell vs traditional PowerPC I can't see how they can make a huge difference. Cloud computing would be specialized at best and probably can't do shit for GPU, and it's more or less weaker versions of otherwise identical hardware. Probably the best way to even it out is make games that hover between 30 and 60 for both X1 and PS4 and just lock to 30 on both.

ekim

“The big positive was obviously that it’s a fantastic piece of hardware offering a huge range of possibilities for developers to connect with players in ways that have been close to impossible to date.”

oO we will see. But a Just Cause 3 with a persistent world populated by a lot of players sounds nice.

Well they can both catch up until the limit of programming to the metal and then however one would still be 1,84 Tflops and the other 1,2.

The song of the cloud computing is going to be very recurrent,you´ll see...

Elios83

Wait...so MS is behind even with their dev tools?
That's a major surprise to me...maybe Kotaku was right after all?

I don't understand how Microsoft has the less-developed working environment and tools, and has seemingly not reached out to indies - when Sony has fully established those factors. What have Microsoft been doing? Because they've certainly not been focusing on the 360! And yet Sony are able to continuously pump out PS3 and Vita titles in the process. Get your shit together Microsoft.

Replicant

Dat secret sauce drenched via cloud, I guess.
AmmaqtU.png

I expect cross platform games to look very similar. What will be interesting is the difference from first party games. This is the area that makes me look forward to the PS4 more. When you look at Uncharted, Last of Us and Heavy Rain for PS3 it seems Sony are in a better position at this moment.

Averon

Development tools were suppose to be a MS advantage. Guess not. Sony really seems to be outmaneuvering MS on a lot of fronts.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Cloud processing will make up for the difference. Microsoft has invested in thousands of servers world wide to take the load off your console chips.

That's A LOT of servers.

Development tools were suppose to be a MS advantage. Guess not. Sony really seems to be outmaneuvering MS on a lot of fronts.

Well at the end of the day ms is a software company, can't discard them yet tbh.

onQ123

How the hell did you get:

'PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One on paper – but Microsoft will catch up'

“With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do. But I’m not too concerned about that as they traditionally have been very good in that area. The specs on paper would favour the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment.”

??

SMH Edge fishing for hits.

DBT85

Even if Cloud computing does become a part of it, there is nothing to stop Sony doing exactly the same if devs want to do it.

If Naughty Dog said "We want to put enemy ai in the cloud" they could do it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wait...so MS is behind even with their dev tools?
That's a major surprise to me...maybe Kotaku was right after all?

As another corroboration, a dev on Twitter after the reveal kind of went off on one about the dev situation with MS at the moment. He said Sony was doing a better job integrating PS4 tools into Microsoft's own IDE (Visual Studio) than MS was to date.

antic604

Banned
I don't understand how Microsoft has the less-developed working environment and tools, and has seemingly not reached out to indies - when Sony has fully established those factors. What have Microsoft been doing? Because they've certainly not been focusing on the 360! And yet Sony are able to continuously pump out PS3 and Vita titles in the process. Get your shit together Microsoft.

Indeed. Maybe MS was believing literally in Sony's "10 years cycle" and expected PS4 to appear only in 2016/17?

derFeef

How the hell did you get:

'PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One on paper – but Microsoft will catch up'

“With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do. But I’m not too concerned about that as they traditionally have been very good in that area. The specs on paper would favour the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment.”

??
It's the title of the Edge article, calm a bit down, it will get corrected.

PlayStation 4 currently beats Xbox One in terms of raw power and has a more mature developer environment, Avalanche Studios has told us.

This is the real news here. It was the exact opposite last time around.

Also the title is misleading. He's saying MS will catch up as far as the development environment.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I expect cross platform games to look very similar. What will be interesting is the difference from first party games. This is the area that makes me look forward to the PS4 more. When you look at Uncharted, Last of Us and Heavy Rain for PS3 it seems Sony are in a better position at this moment.

I doubt cross platform games will look the same.

Both consoles have very similar architecture.

One has a significant performance advantage. It will likely result in higher resolutions with smoother framerates, better IQ, better textures and better shadows. I doubt we will see a game being 30fps on X1 while being 60fps on PS4.

and if you disconnect you get worse gfx or less characters on screen?

bs

And now that people like to talk some much about ESRAM latency... Think about the latency when you send data via internet to be processed by a server far far away...

And another thing, do people think MS is going to have for each X1 sold a equivalent 600 gflops gpu in its servers reserver for that console sold to catch up PS4 GPU performance?. Well, it would have been easier and cheaper for them to include that power in the console from the beginning and make the customer pay directly for it...

Top Bottom