• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche CTO talks about the differences between PS4 & XB1's dev tools and hardware

vio

xBone will not catch up in performance. PS4 software will also keep getting better and better with time. That being said, i don`t think multiplatform games will really take that advantage.

It's interesting though how previously people were so incredulous to the idea that Sony may be providing a better development environment (right now). And some still remain so.

Also, the thread title is awful - or rather the EDGE article title. It's like FOX news bad in terms of quote distortion.

ymmv

Banned
When Arthur C. Clarke said: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", he must have been thinking of The Cloud.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
He's saying their dev environment will catch up, not so much the performance...

Anyway, I'm amazed that Sony's dev environment is currently better than Microsoft's. That rumour about MS being 6 months behind on the software side might be true?

I thought the conference made it pretty obvious they were behind schedule.

The delay, the prepared excuse as to why there was no games, the fact there was only one first party title present and even that was a pretty unimpressive trailer. The rest of the games being shown with a mix of live action and concept videos. Also the only gameplay present may have been faked.

If those aren't signs of trouble I don't know what is.

I think the title is a little bit misleading:

He said...

“With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do."

-> Here he is referring to development tools etc, see also this:

akrckabveumb.png

yset2nfqkjgo.png

So what he means is that Microsoft has to catch up regarding dev tools.

Next he is talking about the hardware specs:

"The specs on paper would favour the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment."

He doesn't say anything about the Xbox being able to catch up regarding specs and hardware performance, he is just being diplomatic here.

As another corroboration, a dev on Twitter after the reveal kind of went off on one about the dev situation with MS at the moment. He said Sony was doing a better job integrating PS4 tools into Microsoft's own IDE (Visual Studio) than MS was to date.

Well, ICE team are between the most talented program group in the world. That is an investment Sony made with PS3 and that is greatly paying off...

v1oz

Even if Cloud computing does become a part of it, there is nothing to stop Sony doing exactly the same if devs want to do it.

If Naughty Dog said "We want to put enemy ai in the cloud" they could do it.

Sony haven't got the infrastructure to make it a seamless experience. They haven't made the investment in 300,000 servers. I'm not even sure they have the tech like Microsoft has to do cloud computing.

Sony haven't got the infrastructure to make it a seamless experience. They haven't made the investment in 300,000 servers. I'm not even sure they have the tech like Microsoft has to do cloud computing.

You are aware they just bought Gaikai right?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I doubt cross platform games will look the same.

Both consoles have very similar architecture.

One has a significant performance advantage. It will likely result in higher resolutions with smoother framerates, better IQ, better textures and better shadows. I doubt we will see a game being 30fps on X1 while being 60fps on PS4.

Publishers don't want games looking different. What they want is a unified experience. You will most likely get probably better I.Q or small frame rate differences.

The people expecting double the frame rate and stuff are crazy.

First party and exclusives are where you will get the gains from hardware.

Do you believe the tale about the 300000 servers reserved for xbox players?.

Anyone can rent time on a cloud platform like Azure or Amazon's. And Sony spent hundreds of millions buying a cloud gaming company. In any case, the cloud computing for games is likely a pipedream. Some MS studios will try it, it will probably be a shitty experience in the wild, and they'll stop doing anything but simple meta game shit or loot tables.

tzare

Wait...so MS is behind even with their dev tools?
That's a major surprise to me...maybe Kotaku was right after all?

agree. Wasn't MS supposed to have the edge by a wide margin regarding tools and programming environment. That is what forum users usually say

"PS4 more powerful on paper - MS development environment will catch up"

That's slightly wrong too though. He says this:

The specs on paper would favour the PS4 over the Xbox One in terms of raw power, but there are many other factors involved so we’ll just have to wait and see a bit longer before making that judgment.

More correct-ish would be like "PS4 more powerful on paper, but have to wait for final judgement"

thuway

You mean the "MS will catch up" thing?

The development environment between the two machines will eventually end up being similar since they are both AMD based PC like architectures. The thread title implies Microsoft is going to catch up in terms of power.

Acosta

So the development enviroment is better, the tools are better (ROFL at Sony surpassing Microsoft on this) and the raw power is bigger.

WTF is Microsoft thinking?

That's slightly wrong too though. He says this:

More correct-ish would be like "PS4 more powerful on paper, but have to wait for final judgement"

Thing is he makes comments on 2 entirely different things. The hardware and the development environment.

Thread title mashes sections of both remarks into one as if he said something else.

vio

Is that really possible? Cloud computing in a that way? For example AI & Physics being done on servers and sent back to console? Either way, i can see Sony doing same then if needed. Seems like PR bullshit to me.

He's saying their dev environment will catch up, not so much the performance...

Anyway, I'm amazed that Sony's dev environment is currently better than Microsoft's. That rumour about MS being 6 months behind on the software side might be true?

This.

You can't "catch up" to 50% more GPU power, 40% more RAM and twice the RAM bandwidth.

One has a significant performance advantage. It will likely result in higher resolutions with smoother framerates, better IQ, better textures and better shadows. I doubt we will see a game being 30fps on X1 while being 60fps on PS4.

My thinking about cross platform games being similar was that many develops will not put the extra time in to improve one platform over another, but instead aim for parity, at least at the start of the generation.

What ever happens end of the year is going to be very interesting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, ICE team are between the most talented program group in the world. That is an investment Sony made with PS3 and that is greatly paying off...

They may be involved in some library development, but stuff like compile or linker tools or debugging tools would be done by these guys.

They spent 300m+ just on the intellectual capital around this at Gaikai. At the Feb meeting Gaikai said that Sony had greenlit investment to build what they say will be the fastest cloud game network. They will invest heavily in infrastructure that will be at their disposal if asynchronous processing on remote servers becomes 'a thing'.

v1oz

You are aware they just bought Gaikai right?
Gaikai's tech was like Onlive right? It just streamed low quality, high latency, real time video over the internet.

That's trivial stuff compared to sending AI, physics and GPU calculations over teh internet.

Truant

People are quick to dismiss cloud computing. My company develops and delivers product using Azure, and that shit is the future. Very impressive tech.

So the development enviroment is better, the tools are better (ROFL at Sony surpassing Microsoft on this) and the raw power is bigger.

WTF is Microsoft thinking?

Well, right now Sony has a laser focus on one thing, and that's gaming. They're basically doing everything in their power to make sure that the PS4 is at least one step ahead of other consoles from a gaming standpoint. It might not be as capable or as good in other areas, but that's not what they're banking on.

Gaikai's tech was like Onlive right? It just streamed low quality, high latency, real time video over the internet.

That's trivial stuff compared to sending AI, physics and GPU calculations over teh internet

I can't believe people are actually buying this bull shit.

vio

My thinking about cross platform games being similar was that many develops will not put the extra time in to improve one platform over another, but instead aim for parity, at least at the start of the generation.

A lot of multiplatform games ended up 720p res on Xbox360 over subHD PS3 versions. Maybe developers won`t ignore such advantage at least.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not good news. More powerful console with better tools means devs will want to lead on PS4 right now and postpone porting to XBONE until they need to, allowing tools to mature enough to not waste time/effort.

An almost unbelievable turnaround from last gen. Clearly sony have focused on devs and tools this time, but for MS to drop the ball is surprising. I wonder if their windows apps tools for skype etc are more advanced.

leadbelly

Banned
I don't understand how Microsoft has the less-developed working environment and tools, and has seemingly not reached out to indies - when Sony has fully established those factors. What have Microsoft been doing? Because they've certainly not been focusing on the 360! And yet Sony are able to continuously pump out PS3 and Vita titles in the process. Get your shit together Microsoft.

They've spent most of the time trying to figure out how to make 'always-online' and 'no used games' easier to swallow. :p

They're still working on that however. The other stuff will have to wait until later.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

That's trivial stuff compared to sending AI, physics and GPU calculations over teh internet.

Are you joking? The entire game runs remotely in the Gaikai/Onlive scenario. It's not simply about doing video streaming, it's about doing ALL the game's processing remotely. Doing SOME processing on that infrastructure via a RPC would be simple by comparison.

DBT85

Gaikai was higher quality and in some instances same latency as paying locally on a 360.

I have little doubt that if Sony want to do cloud computing as you mention that they can do it using the "largest fastest network ever built" to use the words of Mr Gaikai himself.

artist

Banned
They spent 300m+ just on the intellectual capital around this at Gaikai. At the Feb meeting Gaikai said that Sony had greenlit investment to build what they say will be the fastest cloud game network. They will invest heavily in infrastructure that will be at their disposal if asynchronous processing on remote servers becomes 'a thing'.
Plus, Gaikai's partnering with Nvidia and their GRID technology. It's the fastest cloud computing technology (hardware) available today. Compare that with Microsoft's solution ..

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

With what I mentioned, those things aren't big ticket items and more turning up/down an option in a game engine such as AA and Shadows.

Linkified

I thought the conference made it pretty obvious they were behind schedule.

The delay, the prepared excuse as to why there was no games, the fact there was only one first party title present and even that was a pretty unimpressive trailer. The rest of the games being shown with a mix of live action and concept videos. Also the only gameplay present may have been faked.

If those aren't signs of trouble I don't know what is.

Was it? Cause Quantum Break is also a MS Studio published game as well ya know...

I don't think that the difference will be very pronounced in the end, but the very fact that the PS4 development environment seems to be more mature at this point is mind blowing. Microsoft, the software company, the makers of DirectX and Visual Studio, known for their excellent tools and developer support. What the hell have you been doing all this time, guys?

Steroyd

I don't understand how Microsoft has the less-developed working environment and tools, and has seemingly not reached out to indies - when Sony has fully established those factors. What have Microsoft been doing? Because they've certainly not been focusing on the 360! And yet Sony are able to continuously pump out PS3 and Vita titles in the process. Get your shit together Microsoft.

I blame Kinect.

And yes Microsoft being behind on development environment is blowing my mind, as much as them being behind on Nintendo on the indie dev scene.

I doubt that to, wouldn't they have to re-do the whole animation for the game just to accommodate the version with the faster frames?

At the very least, it should mean on paper that PS4 games won't suffer from slow down or framerate problems from multiplat games, providing the X1 is the lead platform in development.

We've seen the specs and the comparisons. Nothing about the Xbox One will put performance and visuals ahead of the PS4. The gap is way too big.

Top Bottom