• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto Says Nintendo Looking To Increase Internal Staff To Create More Projects

DasMarcos

Banned
“We’ve been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time,” Miyamoto said, when I had asked him about why some franchises like Wave Race and F-Zero seem trapped in past generations. Miyamoto noted that an increase in size will allow Nintendo to not only create new games but watch over older IPs that fans clearly still want."

Via My Nintendo News

I welcome this news and hope the teams do expand soon, but keep dat quality in check Miyamoto.

How about increasing Retro more and maybe a western studio here and there that aren't hamstrung like NST. That would be cool.

Nemesis_

How about increasing Retro more and maybe a western studio here and there that aren't hamstrung like NST. That would be cool.

I don't know if Retro are the same as they were during their PRIME (sorry, had to >_>)

The only recent western collaboration I can think of that was quite good was Luigi's Mansion 2.

I wonder if they will expand Next Level Games to get them working on a Wii U project or something.

I'm confused, should I hold out hope for F-Zero or not?

I feel like his comments hint that he knows people want it, and that he is still thinking about how to do it. So yeah, at least it's been acknowledged.

Thank god, thats the first thing they have to do. Try to get some new people that know how to get most out of HD development.
Also getting more external western teams (and even japanese ones like what they are doing with Platinum) that create new or bring back old IPs, with Nintendo always vigilant, like Next Level Games would bring faster good quality games. You dont even have to buy this developers, you can say, hey would you like to make a game fro Nintendo with one of our old exisiting IPs?

Clefargle

If the new HQ is built under a biodome then the ninty detractors can start saying "Nintendo is domed!" and they'd be right for once.

Sendou

I think both 3DS and Wii U launch showed why this is needed so badly. I honestly believe Nintendo just didn't have the resources to provide the steady flow of software that a console launch needs. Not to mention that they tend to have some really weak years even well into a console cycle. Hopefully this changes that.

They have already done so and if I recall correctly will keep doing so.

PetrCobra

It's been pretty obvious with that giant new office building they will open sometime soon next to the headquarters.

Seems like the big N has decided to solve the software issue in their own way. I honestly fear a little for 3rd parties, not only on Nintendo systems but on other consoles as well. The biggest software producer is going to become much bigger...

sublimit

Banned
If they seriously want big western 3rd party publishers to start bringing their games to WiiU (and their future consoles) they don't need only more stuff for their internal studios in Japan but they also need to build (or acquire) more western studios to come with new IPs and budget them accordingly.

yon61

They should have done this a long time ago. I'm astounded that they're for the most part just sitting on a pile of money whilst their hardware business is in major trouble.

Rich!

Like I've said in many threads before, all they need to do is re-release F Zero GX on the eshop, with native 1080p and 30 player online with leaderboards. That's literally all they have to do to satisfy F Zero fans.

it would be easy for them to do, and it would be fantastic.

ASIS

A delayed staff increase is eventually good, a bad staff increase is bad forever.
10/10

They've been doing expanding/hiring for quite a while now so its not like they just started.

They actually started last year, of course they are hiring all the time but it didn't really begin until last year. To my knowledge anyway.
Well their new building is ready this year (I think?) so I guess it explains it.
probably, still a bit late.

Rich!

Next Level Games. Punchout, Luigi's Mansion 2. Very good studio.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is one of those games where it's so brilliantly put together with such a classic Nintendo flair, that if you didn't know otherwise, you'd think it came straight from Nintendo.

it's such a good game.

nubbe

Nintendo is going to focus on the big sellers and then the niche games will have to sit back until they have a fresh feature to push

I think Nintendo could do well with some fresh blood that aren't working internally
They should work more with external western partners

Luigi's Mansion 2 is one of those games where it's so brilliantly put together with such a classic Nintendo flair, that if you didn't know otherwise, you'd think it came straight from Nintendo.

it's such a good game.
They worked very closely with Miyamato, and from the Iwata Asks anyway it seems like they had a great working relationship. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see them working together again, especially since Luigi's Mansion 2 seems to have done great, critically and commercially (still in the UK Top 10 3 months since its release)

AppleBlade

I wish Nintendo would invest heavily on some western studios because it's not looking like they're going to get much western 3rd party support this gen. Maybe even less than the Wii as the Wii U hasn't taken off in the same way and the architecture is even more different. (At least the Wii was PowerPC like the 360 and PS3, but now the WiiU is PowerPC and the XbOne and PS4 are x86).

Nintendo needs their own Killzone/Resistance FPS, their own crackdown/infamous open world game, their own Forza/Gran Turismo driving game, and they need some western RPG presence as they have and probably will continue missing out on Bioware's games (Mass Effect/Dragon Age) and Bethesda's games (Fallout/Skyrim).

That's 4 game genre's that Nintendo is missing out on. Create 4 western studios and give them healthy development time (2 years) to make quality games. That'd be what I'd do.

wsippel

Banned
Already? Why not wait another 3 or 4 years like the last time?
They've been expanding constantly over the last couple of years. But you can't have developers work in tents, which is why they're building a new, much bigger R&D building to have room for another large internal studio.

jwhit28

I don't think it matters where the development studios are. Does Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns, or Luigi's Mansion 2 scream "I was made in the West" any more than any other Nintendo game?

Sendou

I don't think it matters where the development studios are. Does Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns, or Luigi's Mansion 2 scream "I was made in the West" any more than any other Nintendo game?

It doesn't but Miyamoto also mentioned in the same interview that when a game is made outside of their internal teams (excluding Retro in this context) they need to sent a producer from Nintendo to oversee the production and that it meets their quality standards.

ASIS

Sakamoto killed metroid, so I doubt they would do that. Anyways they do not care about the western audience.

Do you honestly believe that? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but the series is far from dead, far from it.

zsidane

Could any journalist ask and try to get what's in Iwata and Miyamoto mind regarding why the don't strengthen their development capabilities in places like US, UK, Canada and even Australia too?

But when you see the amount of time it took them to get a team in Tokyo, let's just hope they are more reactive these days...

Do you honestly believe that? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but the series is far from dead, far from it.

I can only imagine how much Metroid fans who experienced the N64 are laughing at people who say the series is dead. If it gets to about 2021 and there's no new Metroid, then we worry.

Sendou

Could any journalist ask and try to get what's in Iwata and Miyamoto mind regarding why the don't strengthen their development capabilities in places like US, UK, Canada and even Australia too?

They work different like Sony in that sense. Sony has lots of teams worldwide and let them all pretty much do their own thing. Now this is both good and a bad thing. On the other hand they get to try all kinds of stuff and are potentially more free with their vision. Yet they can lack quality control. Nintendo tends to keep teams working on their games worldwide on tight quality control. Next Level Games is without a doubt a top quality team but could they have made Luigi's Mansion 2 level game without tight co-operation with Nintendo's producers and other staff? I think not.

So that's why when they expand their teams worldwide they also have to and want to keep keep them under control. This can be a challenge but I think in the end it's worth it.

scakko84

But you can't have developers work in tents

I lol'd because some developers friend of mine working for a multinational firm actually remotly works from an hotel room. They keep hiring people and has no space to make them work.

A tent sure looks cheaper than a hotel room... :)

Edit: Nothing to do with game developing btw, they develop enterprise stuff...

Top Bottom