• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto Says Nintendo Looking To Increase Internal Staff To Create More Projects

GulAtiCa

Not counting wii sports or wii fit or whatever. I meant "core" actual video games.

edit: I have no issue with wii sports or wii fit, if that's what it sounds like. I just happened to be speaking about video games in the classic sense.

Pushmo, Sakura Samurai, Dillon's Rolling Western. :)

I think you read my post wrong. I am giving it credit.

What I am saying is that the game is totally different than a Mario platformer yet some people don't give Nintendo the credit they deserve for putting something new out because it contains a character from the Mario Universe. Some people look at it as "just another Mario game" when it is something different.

Ah maybe I did. I agree with you on that front, I mean several people thought LM2 was a port of the Gamecube original and just condemned it for even more false reasons. The sales benefits of it being labelled as Mario or "Mario-esque" far outweigh this negative reception though!

Sendou

I think you read my post wrong. I am giving it credit.

What I am saying is that the game is totally different than a Mario platformer yet some people don't give Nintendo the credit they deserve for putting something new out because it contains a character from the Mario Universe. Some people look at it as "just another Mario game" when it is something different.

People should just look at how much fresh gameplay material the game in question has. Not necessarily how many times you have seen the characters in it previously. After all we're still playing games and that should be our top priority when evaluating an experience.

Ah maybe I did. I agree with you on that front, I mean several people thought LM2 was a port of the Gamecube original and just condemned it for even more false reasons. The sales benefits of it being labelled as Mario or "Mario-esque" far outweigh this negative reception though!

There was that one guy arguing it was the remake of Luigi's Mansion on GameCube...

gohanrage

WAVERACE Blue Storm was the first game I owned for Gamecube. I got bored with it pretty fast.

As far as F-Zero goes The Gamecube version made by SEGA was too fast. I just kept ramming into walls

Lunar15

Nintendo has pretty openly said that they've struggled with HD development and turning things around quickly. This is what they cited as the reason there haven't been any wii u games for the first half of the year. I'm going by what they're saying.

Sendou

In fairness I've gone through several major life events since Pikmin 3 was announced :p

Too late for that! Going gold probably in a week or two.

Nintendo has pretty openly said that they've struggled with HD development and turning things around quickly. This is what they cited as the reason there haven't been any wii u games for the first half of the year. I'm going by what they're saying.

I thought you had some specific title in mind. You're right about the delays.

It's all about maintaining strict quality control. Labor is a commodity just like food.

Nintendo can't simply hire 500 people in a single month and all of the sudden have five new games underway. They have to hire people slowly over time, which they've been doing for a while now. They have to make sure every new staff member that comes on learns the culture of their game development so that the quality of their games don't get diluted.

It's kind of troubling to continually hear Nintendo higher-ups talking about these things like they're still in the planning stages. It makes me feel like they're not going to have their HD game development up to speed until the generation after this :/

Sendou

It's kind of troubling to continually hear Nintendo higher-ups talking about these things like they're still in the planning stages. It makes me feel like they're not going to have their HD game development up to speed until the generation after this :/

The thing is that it's happening right now and will reach its peak within 6 months.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Can we have a studio dedicated to 2D platformers on the 3DS?

wildfire

Banned
They don't have the elder scrolls of the world, the GTAs, right now they don't even have Madden or Fifa. Call of Duty may not make an appearance on the system this year. Its a huge problem. If you're not going to have these types of games on your system, then you need some other hardcore type games to take their place. Nintendo is sitting on the franchises that have that potential but refuse to actively pursue them in favor of family type franchises. They are trying to re create what the Wii did and its not going to happen.

You're right they don't have those games. I've said as much in the past it's a problem.

But few actually care if Nintendo creates IP built on machismo or hyper realistic violence.

Everyone wants them to make a new IP and there is nothing stopping Nintendo from adopting visual and narrative themes in the vein of Pixar, or Tim Burton movies, or Lewiss Caroll, or Stephanie Meyer *rinses mouth with acid* books.

Angry Fork

If selling 100 million units is a disaster than I wish when I make a product that it is a disaster like the Wii.

mmmm those 100 million sales had awesome gameplay I loved it I hope Nintendo developers another 100 million sales for Wii U so I can have more fun fuck yea.

DSN2K

If selling 100 million units is a disaster than I wish when I make a product that it is a disaster like the Wii.

when your follow up tanks dramatically its a disaster. Being able to manage the transition between generations of hardware/software is hugely important. They have failed so far.

Sendou

when your follow up tanks dramatically its a disaster. Being able to manage the transition between generations of hardware/software is hugely important. They have failed so far.

Wii U is a disaster so far. I'm not sure if anyone questions that.

Uh, no, whether your next system does well or not has nothing to do with how the previous one should be regarded. Under your rules there the Atari 2600, Sega Genesis and PS2 should all be called "disasters" because those systems' successors didn't do well compared to their predecessor. That's completely absurd.

mmmm those 100 million sales had awesome gameplay I loved it I hope Nintendo developers another 100 million sales for Wii U so I can have more fun fuck yea.
The Wii has a solid library of good games, and that only happened because of its sales. Sales do have an impact on the quality of a system's library. They aren't the only factor, of course, but they are one.

Meelow

Banned

Wii U might be a "disaster" right now, but the PS3 was also a disaster compared to the PS2.

Wii was a disaster in the last few years of it's life cycle when third parties had almost completely abandoned the system and first party output was scarce.

gemoran4

Metroid Prime could be Nintendo's Halo.

While they are both 1st person and sci fi, i feel the games are actually very different. I'm sure they could make a good multiplayer with metroid prime, but honestly the gunplay to me doesn't feel like it would translate all that well (I could be wrong)

I will say hearing Retro's comments about Metroid (in terms of what they would like to explore in future installments) sound really cool

"Basically I’m thinking of, not just Samus, but how we can expand the whole Samus universe," Tanabe said. "You remember Metroid Prime Hunters. I’m thinking about things like how we could make that go out further, with all these different bounty hunters as well."

I think they could create an interesting universe and mythology/lore. (granted outside of a few installments i haven't played too many metroid games)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I agree on the "Next Level Games" needs to become first-party talk. Their output is amazing. I just re-bought Mario Strikers Charged for Wii and totally forgot it was made by them. Fantastic game.

While they are both 1st person and sci fi, i feel the games are actually very different. I'm sure they could make a good multiplayer with metroid prime, but honestly the gunplay to me doesn't feel like it would translate all that well (I could be wrong)

I will say hearing Retro's comments about Metroid (in terms of what they would like to explore in future installments) sound really cool

I think they could create an interesting universe and mythology/lore. (granted outside of a few installments i haven't played too many metroid games)

I really hope they're just referring to the "multiple bounty hunters" aspect of that game, and nothing to do with the gameplay. Hunters was true dreck.

Top Bottom