• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto Says Nintendo Looking To Increase Internal Staff To Create More Projects

Nintendo needs more games in general let alone thinking about new IPs when they can't get the old ones out in a reasonabe time frame.

You're not wrong. They're top quality though. Is the general opinion that people do want new IP's from Nintendo but they have to be 9/10 or even 10/10 games or they won't be notified?

Isn't that the case for a lot of new IPs? Look at Remember Me (more ironic name ever). At the very least new IPs need a lot more exposure from NIntendo. I'll see how they do with W101, but I'm not expecting too much.

Jobbs

Banned
Newsflash: Nintendo is working only for Nintendo. (Monolith is Nintendo) ;)

I don't mean to get out in the weeds, but monolith soft has made games for other consoles and most of its staff are former square developers. nintendo acquired a controlling share in the company at some point. But when I made my original statement, what I was talking about was nintendo's own internal development, like EAD and intelligent systems.

it's a stupid discussion, but cmon, you guys must know what I mean.

Sendou

Isn't that the case for a lot of new IPs? Look at Remember Me (more ironic name ever). At the very least new IPs need a lot more exposure from NIntendo. I'll see how they do with W101, but I'm not expecting too much.

It's just so counter productive. Usually with new IP's also come new ideas. Now these ideas usually aren't that perfected but if nobody buys the game then they won't green light the sequel that might perfect these ideas. Yet alone put more money towards making new IP's. Nintendo's new IP's haven't been bad at all either.

I don't mean to get out in the weeds, but monolith soft has made games for other consoles and most of its staff are former square developers. nintendo acquired a controlling share in the company at some point. But when I made my original statement, what I was talking about was nintendo's own internal development, like EAD and intelligent systems.

Well Intelligent Systems just made Pushmo and Crashmo. From EAD we have seen stuff like Nintendo Land and even AR Games (okay the latter two are streching a bit).

Nintendo needs a diverse range of active game properties that appeal to a wide variety of demographics.

Whether those include new IP or not is irrelevant.

This is what Nintendo should have been doing throughout the money-printing days of the Wii and DS. They had extra cash to throw around and I feel like it was money squandered in R&D for this gamepad concept that no one seems to know how to use.

Nintendo has way too many ip's which is there problem.

Look at starfox and fzero for example, both didn't even exist on the Wii and these two were has very popular games on the N64 and gamecube(starfox games sucked on the gamecube but they still sold well enough). If they make new very popular ip's they would have to retire old franchises which fans will hate them for.

So what do you think is this "controlling share" and when did this happen?

Man, Nintendo can do no right on NeoGAF.

Nintendo does something right -> god, why didn't you do this earlier Nintendo?
Nintendo plans to release a game in an unpopular franchise -> Nintendo, Pikmin isn't going to sell consoles Nintendo
Nintendo plans to release games in popular franchises -> Why aren't you giving me F-Zero Nintendo? You just keep releasing the same crap!

With the way third parties view Nintendo, it's up to them and them alone to drive their systems. And even though it's taken the 3DS and WiiU a long time to get on their feet, the 3DS did so amazingly, and it looks like the WiiU is about to follow with a great roster of first-party games. Nintendo increasing their staff means that we'll see an increase in their established IP releases, but also an increase in franchises that they can't often focus on and brand new IPs altogether. Sounds like exactly what they need to do, tbh.

Cosmozone

Wow. Best Nintendo related news in years. Being understaffed is one of the two main reasons of their problems in my opinion (the other being bad advertising/PR).

Doogdogg

WTF happen to NST? I thought they would make F-Zero, Wave Race and 1080. We need those franchises to resurface. The guys at PG wants to make a Star Fox and they are a great fit for the task. I would buy a Wii U for new entries in those brand.

I would love a future in which Nintendo significantly grows their internal development staff and singlehandedly continues to create affordable, innovative consoles with a strong library of games that can be played nowhere else.

jwhit28

WTF happen to NST? I thought they would make F-Zero, Wave Race and 1080. We need those franchises to resurface. The guys at PG wants to make a Star Fox and they are a great fit for the task. I would buy a Wii U for new entries in those brand.

As much as I like them the last entry in each of those IP's sold very disappointingly, Excite Trucks and Excitebots was a commercial failure too.

Going by these numbers from March, it's doubtful Starfox 64 3D sold 1,000,000 worldwide.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You're not wrong. They're top quality though. Is the general opinion that people do want new IP's from Nintendo but they have to be 9/10 or even 10/10 games or they won't be notified?

Many would like to see Nintendo take a bigger risk with a new IP. A bigger budget new IP. The last one we saw I guess for the core user was Pikmin. Though, I will say that Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort were both good for their intended purposes. I don't really think the scores are something people will look at as long as it meets a certain degree of quality.

If you look at the 3DS eShop though, they made Dillon's Rolling Western + Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger, Pushmo + Crashmo and HarmoKnight. There's new stuff but it's likely not what everyone wants.

thefro

Man, Nintendo can do no right on NeoGAF.

Nintendo does something right -> god, why didn't you do this earlier Nintendo?
Nintendo plans to release a game in an unpopular franchise -> Nintendo, Pikmin isn't going to sell consoles Nintendo
Nintendo plans to release games in popular franchises -> Why aren't you giving me F-Zero Nintendo? You just keep releasing the same crap!

Don't forget:
Nintendo releases new franchise --> *crickets*

Heck, people were meh on Xenoblade when it was Monado: Beginning of the World, then when they relaunched it under the Xeno name everyone was hyped up just because of a screenshot of the title screen art and a piano track.

aeolist

Banned
they should buy platinum games

not that i really care personally, i just think the internet reaction would be fucking hilarious on both sides

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I do think Nintendo's very big misstep with the perception of "creating new IP" was in treating the Rainfall trilogy of games as cast-offs in the west. They should have both localized those games for timely release, and positioned them as primary Wii products.

The mindshare benefit could have highlighted that they do invest in such things. Though they seemed to have realized that mistake to some degree, given how much they're keeping X in focus for North America.

they should buy platinum games

not that i really care personally, i just think the internet reaction would be fucking hilarious on both sides

Half the gaming internet would burn the fuck down.

Amir0x

Banned
Well good, it's what they should have been doing ages ago. Might probably be too late to salvage the Wii U gen for them, but we'll see after they get their big games in a row out if they can restart that generator.

They plan to support their consoles alone, do they?
Kinda like, well, ok, fuck third parties, let's do it ourselves. Can they do this? I mean, is it financially possible? (given their titles have far lowest budgets than the average AAA western title)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
They plan to support their consoles alone, do they?
Kinda like, well, ok, fuck third parties, let's do it ourselves. Can they do this? I mean, is it financially possible? (given their titles have far lowest budgets than the average AAA western title)

If you combined the output for both console and portable together, Nintendo by themselves might be putting out nearly the equivalent of all big releases per year from 3rd parties on another console.

Unfortunately they're split between supporting different formats. In the abstract though, even now they can make a hell of a lot of games.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I wish Nintendo would invest heavily on some western studios because it's not looking like they're going to get much western 3rd party support this gen. Maybe even less than the Wii as the Wii U hasn't taken off in the same way and the architecture is even more different. (At least the Wii was PowerPC like the 360 and PS3, but now the WiiU is PowerPC and the XbOne and PS4 are x86).

Nintendo needs their own Killzone/Resistance FPS, their own crackdown/infamous open world game, their own Forza/Gran Turismo driving game, and they need some western RPG presence as they have and probably will continue missing out on Bioware's games (Mass Effect/Dragon Age) and Bethesda's games (Fallout/Skyrim).

That's 4 game genre's that Nintendo is missing out on. Create 4 western studios and give them healthy development time (2 years) to make quality games. That'd be what I'd do.

This post is so wrong.

Why should Nintendo try and create similar titles to their competitors?

Nintendo has gotten where it has today and in the past by carving out it's own share of the gaming pie.

Killzone, Resistance, Crackdown and Infamous are mediocre franchises in genres that are over saturated to say the least.

Nintendo has well over 30 I.P's under their umbrella and the only thing Nintendo have lacked is the ability to produce game's in reasonable time periods.

I would love a new Chibi Robo, F-Zero, Puzzle League, Pilotwings and Sin & Punishment.

I know though that unless Nintendo can come up with a justification other than a revival for the sake of revival none of these will ever surface.

I hope some of the young dev's in Nintendo step up and bring about change. That's the only way IMHO we'll see a shift happen.

Nintendo and its deal with Platinum Games is a start in the right direction. Become the publisher of some third party software, they don't have to buy them. Now if what they produce is a major hit then they can consider it.

AlexM

They're making a giant new building in Kyoto. I thought the reason they were building it was to house a lot more developers.

Porcile

Nintendo don't need to outright buy Western studios but more partnerships like Next Level and Monster would be ideal. I'm sure there's plenty of developers out who'd love to have the certain security that working on Nintendo franchise brings. Why they continue to ignore development in the West is slightly baffling.

They needed to be doing this like back in 2010. It's simply too late now to have any meaningful impact this gen. I mean i think this is a good thing and i look forward to the game but it's too late for this to have any impact this gen.

Sacul64

Banned

They don't just own a controlling share they own it all. If you don't consider then 1st party then neither is Retro. Monolith ever help to work on Skyward Sword. The count whether you like it or not. You just refuse to count them since it does not fit your argument.

And upon further look they are credited on Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Animal Crossing New Leaf.

And for a time line:
As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Namco Bandai sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007. Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo. The company announced on July 8, 2011 that they were opening up an additional studio in Kyoto, Japan. They are currently developing games for both the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS.

In short, TLDR once again they are 1st party, deal with it.

What do you guys think about this quote from the Interview?
Miyamoto said:
[...] in response to many fans asking why Retro is working on Donkey Kong and not Metroid, Miyamoto offered this curious comment: "Certainly we do feel that we want to leverage the capabilities of Retro Studios further, because as we've seen from the Metroid games, they're a very capable studio."
Read the whole paragraph for more context:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/the-future-of-nintendo-game-development

I don´t really understand what he means with this statement.
Is "leverage the capabilities of Retro Studios further" related to the past by giving them DKC or is it related to a future project?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys think about this quote from the Interview?

Read the whole paragraph for more context:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/the-future-of-nintendo-game-development

I don´t really understand what he means with this statement.
Is "leverage the capabilities of Retro Studios further" related to the past by giving them DKC or is it related to a future project?

I think he's referring to letting Retro work on other IPs since they've shown they're capable of making high quality titles. Whether that means a new IP or existing Nintendo franchise, I don't know, but I think it's the latter.

Branduil

They should have done this before, but better late than never. Nintendo just needs to proceed with the assumption they will never get 3rd party games and thus they need to make all of the games for their systems.

Duxxy3

They should outsource the franchises they have problems developing (metroid, f-zero, star fox). If they work out then they should outright buy the developer.

Nintendo has a lot of teams but they are focused on only a few safe IP's.

Top Bottom